Information Technology (IT)

Yeah, i know it's the better major.

Math isn't my strong suite and not sure about programming either.

In java1 right now and i think it's tough. First class of programming in my life though.

Don't worry about the math, seriously. I'm not big on high level math either, all I did was plan my schedule so that I'd take my easy classes (eg theology, English, art history) along with the math classes and that made things a lot more manageable. I'd spend hours in the math lab, but it was OK because my other homework would take like two hours max.

The first programming class is always the most difficult, especially if you have limited experience. The difficulty is compounded in your case since Java is OO, which introduces another level of difficulty within itself.

I would strongly encourage you to stick with it. I struggled and struggled with the math and programming side of things until around my junior year. At that point, stuff just kind of started clicking, and I started to see how the math was related to programming, how programming was related to optimization, etc. It takes a while, but I promise that it gets easier with time, and all the hours you spend struggling will pay off.

I'm in CC for Computer Science. Feel like I'm doing it for nothing if I just need certifications.

I'm in CC for Computer Science. Feel like I'm doing it for nothing if I just need certifications.

That degree will come in handy for managerial positions. If that's not your interest then you may want to go the cert route. Certs are hit or miss nowadays depending upon how the company views them. Brain dumps have left alot of companies with bad views of certs especially when a CCNA guy comes in for an interview and can't even explain a topology. Some not all though.

In java1 right now and i think it's tough. First class of programming in my life though.

I didnt start programming until my first java class my freshman year. It was hard and confusing as hell, but I made it through. Currently in my last semester of my CS degree. The math isnt even that bad you do Calc 1, Calc 2, and Differential Equations or Multivariate Calc . Thats it only 3 Math classes.

I think about it like this a CS major can do ANY job an IS major can do and much more, IS doesn't really get hired for CS jobs (developer, IA, systems engineer, etc). Also much higher salaries as a CS major coming out of school.

Don't worry about the math, seriously. I'm not big on high level math either, all I did was plan my schedule so that I'd take my easy classes (eg theology, English, art history) along with the math classes and that made things a lot more manageable. I'd spend hours in the math lab, but it was OK because my other homework would take like two hours max.

The first programming class is always the most difficult, especially if you have limited experience. The difficulty is compounded in your case since Java is OO, which introduces another level of difficulty within itself.

I would strongly encourage you to stick with it. I struggled and struggled with the math and programming side of things until around my junior year. At that point, stuff just kind of started clicking, and I started to see how the math was related to programming, how programming was related to optimization, etc. It takes a while, but I promise that it gets easier with time, and all the hours you spend struggling will pay off.

I'm definitely going to stick with it. Even though it's tough right now I like it.

Not even sure if I want to transfer yet.

If i don't i'll stick with IT but you & capital sb capital sb have me thinking i should go the CS route.

Last edited:
If i don't i'll stick with IT but you & capital sb capital sb have me thinking i should go the CS route.

At the end of the day, its your life and your education that you're paying for. IT might just be the perfect fit for you, but like Breezy said: CS majors can do IT work, IT majors normally can't do CS work. CS will afford you more opportunities, a greater variety of work, and in the end, more pay.

I think about it like this a CS major can do ANY job an IS major can do and much more, IS doesn't really get hired for CS jobs (developer, IA, systems engineer, etc). Also much higher salaries as a CS major coming out of school.

This is pretty much what it comes down to. An IT major is like a swiss army knife, a CS major is like the whole tool set.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, its your life and your education that you're paying for. IT might just be the perfect fit for you, but like Breezy said: CS majors can do IT work, IT majors normally can't do CS work. CS will afford you more opportunities, a greater variety of work, and in the end, more pay.
This is pretty much what it comes down to. An IT major is like a swiss army knife, a CS major is like the whole tool set.

Not exactly true. Not to typecast people but most people who are in CS dont know a lot of IT things that someone in IT would probably gain. At my school CS wouldnt have any project management courses, networking courses, system admin courses etc. Those are all real IT skills that are hireable traits. A CS major can learn that stuff but their formal education wouldnt really prepare them to do any of that.

Not exactly true. Not to typecast people but most people who are in CS dont know a lot of IT things that someone in IT would probably gain. At my school CS wouldnt have any project management courses, networking courses, system admin courses etc. Those are all real IT skills that are hireable traits. A CS major can learn that stuff but their formal education wouldnt really prepare them to do any of that.

Thats not exactly true either. I was aiming for the general case. My CS program had all of those things (Computer Networking, Systems, etc) and the course material, went over all of those things you named. We covered things like software life cycles, project management, computer applications in experimental sciences...we even had a small section about managing a team and figuring out a schedule with a set of imposed rules. :lol: "Resource allocation management" or something. In fact, the only thing I don't remember being covered is Active Directory. Our books talked about it, we just never dedicated class time.

My formal education prepared me for everything I would need at entry level IT. Its a shame your school doesn't teach that stuff to CS majors, but many I know had similar courses through their program as well...whether or not they retained that is another story, but its there, and many CS majors are exposed to it... I would say a majority at that.

CS is the better major if you want to do programming, but you'll see how many companies are looking for IT people rather than programmers. If I could go back, I'd do IT with a minor in CS. I like programming, but I didn't want to be testing or writing scripts for testing, which is what most of my friends are doing now.

Thats not exactly true either. I was aiming for the general case. My CS program had all of those things (Computer Networking, Systems, etc) and the course material, went over all of those things you named. We covered things like software life cycles, project management, computer applications in experimental sciences...we even had a small section about managing a team and figuring out a schedule with a set of imposed rules. :lol: "Resource allocation management" or something. In fact, the only thing I don't remember being covered is Active Directory. Our books talked about it, we just never dedicated class time.

My formal education prepared me for everything I would need at entry level IT. Its a shame your school doesn't teach that stuff to CS majors, but many I know had similar courses through their program as well...whether or not they retained that is another story, but its there, and many CS majors are exposed to it... I would say a majority at that.

That isnt CS tho. My school is a top programming school (UCF) and many of the students are extremely successful in the field. Our programming team I believe is the most successful in the nation. Peep the program:

http://www.cs.ucf.edu/CS/requirements.php

You got to look at it as there is only 120 credits and half are going to be taken up by nonsense. A CS major should emphasize more on things like logic, data structures, architecture, and high level programming than IT stuff. In our IT program we take a pretty good amount of programming, but there has to be a split between the two. A lot of colleges try to blend them but for a CS major it makes absolutely no sense to take systems administration. Our project management course was 100% IT related about transition a hypothetical company from a paper based to digital work environment. For many of the CS students to end up working for defense contractors who strictly use them for programming. I feel like UCF has it logically correct (i dont agree with the physics requirement for IT tho).

http://www.cs.ucf.edu/CS/requirements.php
http://www.cs.ucf.edu/IT/requirements.php

at our IT firm, we have such a high demand for java developers! if anyone is looking let me know..........we are here in the washington dc area.

at our IT firm, we have such a high demand for java developers! if anyone is looking let me know..........we are here in the washington dc area.

I have been noticing this as well. How far along in java are we talking about I feel like I always think less of my skills even tho I have had over a years worth of java education. What exactly should you know to land that type of position

I'm planning on going back to school within the next year to get my MS in Information Sciences. Pitt has a program that I'm looking into but they have 3 prereqs that are needed. As far as the programming prereq, they want Java, C, or C++. Which would yall recommend? I'm coming from no background in IT but I'm confident that I can handle it.

I'm trying to gear my concentration towards database and web systems, big data analytics, or IT security.

Again, which prereq programming course would be better for one of those three concentrations? Thanks in advance for any help

There are so many software developer jobs the demand for developers is higher than the rate that are graduating. Its so easy to get a developer job making 65K in the DC area straight out of school.

they want Java, C, or C++. Which would yall recommend? I'm coming from no background in IT but I'm confident that I can handle it.

I'm trying to gear my concentration towards database and web systems, big data analytics, or IT security.
Honestly, look up jobs in each of those categories and see what they expect.  I'd recommend going with Java because it's easier to learn than the other two and once you have a foundation setup then move on to C++ and C, if you want.  Since it's your first programming class, focus on setting up a foundation rather than what language to learn for certain jobs because it's highly likely that you may switch from one concentration to another.

Last edited:

I have been noticing this as well. How far along in java are we talking about I feel like I always think less of my skills even tho I have had over a years worth of java education. What exactly should you know to land that type of position
When you are just starting out, no one expects you to be a java guru out of the gate.  You'll most likely start as a Junior Developer working under a Senior Dev(The Guru).  There's no possible way starting fresh out of school, or even a year into the field, to be on that level, as Java is so broad.  What they expect is that you have a solid grasp of Core Java, Object-Oriented concepts, etc.  Once you get into the field you'll be learning all the different API's, etc.  For example, at my job we work with Spring, Struts2, Oracle Coherence, and alot of Java EE stuff that you definitely arent gonna learn in school.  But if you have a firm grasp on Core Java, you will be able to quickly learn how to use all the other frameworks out there.  Its all the same.  I was the same way coming in, thinking that my skillset wasnt broad enough, but you'll be suprised how much you can actually do once its in front of you.  Plus you will have a Senior Dev there showing you everything you need.  When you go looking for a job, they arent expecting you to know every little thing, but the core concepts are a MUST.  They want to know that you'd be able to pick it up when its presented to you.  You'd be suprised how many people that interviewed along with me that couldnt describe the Software Life Cycle, define what an Object is, or name the OOP concepts
mean.gif

Last edited:
When you are just starting out, no one expects you to be a java guru out of the gate.  You'll most likely start as a Junior Developer working under a Senior Dev(The Guru).  There's no possible way starting fresh out of school, or even a year into the field, to be on that level, as Java is so broad.  What they expect is that you have a solid grasp of Core Java, Object-Oriented concepts, etc.  Once you get into the field you'll be learning all the different API's, etc.  For example, at my job we work with Spring, Struts2, Oracle Coherence, and alot of Java EE stuff that you definitely arent gonna learn in school.  But if you have a firm grasp on Core Java, you will be able to quickly learn how to use all the other frameworks out there.  Its all the same.  I was the same way coming in, thinking that my skillset wasnt broad enough, but you'll be suprised how much you can actually do once its in front of you.  Plus you will have a Senior Dev there showing you everything you need.  When you go looking for a job, they arent expecting you to know every little thing, but the core concepts are a MUST.  They want to know that you'd be able to pick it up when its presented to you.  You'd be suprised how many people that interviewed along with me that couldnt describe the Software Life Cycle, define what an Object is, or name the OOP concepts :smh:

Thanks for the info. One of the companies I have been networking usings java mostly in the internal applications and said they would be hiring more developers over business analysts, operations, and etc. I have a great grasp of c and java just need to brush up on the interview questions and make a little portfolio.

When you are just starting out, no one expects you to be a java guru out of the gate.  You'll most likely start as a Junior Developer working under a Senior Dev(The Guru).  There's no possible way starting fresh out of school, or even a year into the field, to be on that level, as Java is so broad.  What they expect is that you have a solid grasp of Core Java, Object-Oriented concepts, etc.  Once you get into the field you'll be learning all the different API's, etc.  For example, at my job we work with Spring, Struts2, Oracle Coherence, and alot of Java EE stuff that you definitely arent gonna learn in school.  But if you have a firm grasp on Core Java, you will be able to quickly learn how to use all the other frameworks out there.  Its all the same.  I was the same way coming in, thinking that my skillset wasnt broad enough, but you'll be suprised how much you can actually do once its in front of you.  Plus you will have a Senior Dev there showing you everything you need.  When you go looking for a job, they arent expecting you to know every little thing, but the core concepts are a MUST.  They want to know that you'd be able to pick it up when its presented to you.  You'd be suprised how many people that interviewed along with me that couldnt describe the Software Life Cycle, define what an Object is, or name the OOP concepts
mean.gif
Thanks for the info. One of the companies I have been networking usings java mostly in the internal applications and said they would be hiring more developers over business analysts, operations, and etc. I have a great grasp of c and java just need to brush up on the interview questions and make a little portfolio.
Great, sounds like you're on the right path.  If you know C and Java, you'll be able to pick up any other language really.  Also, try to learn a little SQL and XML too to round out your skills.

Still can't believe my state university doesn't offer Computer Information Technology as a major. :smh:

Only MIS and CS.

I'm a sophomore in college and i think if i transfer next year and change majors to MIS it'll be too late and i want to stay in IT ( i think :lol:)

Last edited:
Great, sounds like you're on the right path.  If you know C and Java, you'll be able to pick up any other language really.  Also, try to learn a little SQL and XML too to round out your skills.

I actually know a lot of SQL but i have absolutely no where to use it. I took a database class which went over access and sql and i also helped my girlfriend in her sql course but its been tough finding a way to use any of those skills.

I actually know a lot of SQL but i have absolutely no where to use it. I took a database class which went over access and sql and i also helped my girlfriend in her sql course but its been tough finding a way to use any of those skills.

VMware, playboy. Just set up something to mess with. If you know Java, you could write a very simple program to enter information into a database and start doing data manipulation with it... Joins, cross tab queries, etc.

Just landed my first IT job as an EDI analyst!!  hope this is a forum where I can get help and tips, because I'm gonna need it

Still can't believe my state university doesn't offer Computer Information Technology as a major.
mean.gif

Only MIS and CS.

I'm a sophomore in college and i think if i transfer next year and change majors to MIS it'll be too late and i want to stay in IT ( i think
laugh.gif
)
CS can help a lot with IT... Most experience in IT comes from just getting your hands dirty in the field.

Back
Top Bottom