Information Technology (IT)

Just got hit with an asset management project. Essentially we want to barcode all our computers and manufacturing equipment. Im looking at OpenERP now known as OoDoo since its free and there are some barcode modules but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Hey guys, I have been reading this thread and just want to thank everyone for all the helpful information.

I also wanted to ask if you guys think it would be worth it to take a course for the CompTIA A+ cert to jump-start my career in IT? I have fairly extensive knowledge with computers and got 65%+/- on some of the practice test for the A+. I was thinking am I better off studying then taking the test on my own or investing the extra money for a course and a sure shot. Couple of Jobs look for this and some don't require it when hired but within 6 months. I figured I would try to get it and stand out a bit in the application process.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Hey guys, I have been reading this thread and just want to thank everyone for all the helpful information.

I also wanted to ask if you guys think it would be worth it to take a course for the CompTIA A+ cert to jump-start my career in IT? I have fairly extensive knowledge with computers and got 65%+/- on some of the practice test for the A+. I was thinking am I better off studying then taking the test on my own or investing the extra money for a course and a sure shot. Couple of Jobs look for this and some don't require it when hired but within 6 months. I figured I would try to get it and stand out a bit in the application process.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

A+ is a great start

also look into the the network + and security +.. these will also open you up to several different fields and possibly more pay

as you move up they can also move with you as they are industry respected.. these certs make great foundations/career building blocks

Just landed my first IT job as an EDI analyst!!  hope this is a forum where I can get help and tips, because I'm gonna need it

congrats on that man!! for starts google is always your best friend.. i'm sure your gig will train you on their internal processes but its always good to gather some insight from different individuals on the world wide web

A+ is a great start

also look into the the network + and security +.. these will also open you up to several different fields and possibly more pay

as you move up they can also move with you as they are industry respected.. these certs make great foundations/career building blocks

Thanks for the insight. Would you say that a course for the A+ is needed? When I was reading the questions it had some pretty basic stuff along with some customer service type of questions.

Again thanks for the insight I was definitely looking at network+ and security+. I am more motivated now than ever to switch careers since my current job as a project manager has slowed down since we are contractors. IT is always something I was interested in and enjoyed.

Thanks for the insight. Would you say that a course for the A+ is needed? When I was reading the questions it had some pretty basic stuff along with some customer service type of questions.

Again thanks for the insight I was definitely looking at network+ and security+. I am more motivated now than ever to switch careers since my current job as a project manager has slowed down since we are contractors. IT is always something I was interested in and enjoyed.

i don't know of any materials off the top of my head but I can say I would definitely recommend trying to google or torrent any study guides (for all of them). The material changes of course, but for those certs I would like to think that the material does not change drastically year to year.

Since you have some Project Management experience I would also recommend looking into the Project+ cert as well. Project management is a great field as well..

start here and look at the course of study for all mentioned and then delve into google and find some materials.. If i had some on hand I'd send them to you

http://certification.comptia.org/getCertified/certifications/project.aspx

CompTia also has the course of studies/body of knowledge for all the other certs i mentioned.. They are the parent organization for all of those certifications.

Still can't believe my state university doesn't offer Computer Information Technology as a major. :smh:

Only MIS and CS.

I'm a sophomore in college and i think if i transfer next year and change majors to MIS it'll be too late and i want to stay in IT ( i think :lol:)

Isn't MIS often offered at the graduate level?

Anyone else have any insight on this?

i don't know of any materials off the top of my head but I can say I would definitely recommend trying to google or torrent any study guides (for all of them). The material changes of course, but for those certs I would like to think that the material does not change drastically year to year.

Since you have some Project Management experience I would also recommend looking into the Project+ cert as well. Project management is a great field as well..

start here and look at the course of study for all mentioned and then delve into google and find some materials.. If i had some on hand I'd send them to you

http://certification.comptia.org/getCertified/certifications/project.aspx

CompTia also has the course of studies/body of knowledge for all the other certs i mentioned.. They are the parent organization for all of those certifications.

Thanks for all the insight again! I have already gathered what I think are some good resources for the A+.

As far as Project Management and Poject+, I may or may not go that route. I enjoy the technical aspects of IT to be honest. I like project managing now but I just need a change of scenery at the moment. Hopefully I can get this ball rolling in the next couple of weeks/months. Repped :smokin

Thanks for all the insight again! I have already gathered what I think are some good resources for the A+.

As far as Project Management and Poject+, I may or may not go that route. I enjoy the technical aspects of IT to be honest. I like project managing now but I just need a change of scenery at the moment. Hopefully I can get this ball rolling in the next couple of weeks/months. Repped :smokin

i completely understand my heart has also always been in the technical aspects within IT.. Understanding the business elements is great but it can be draining..

Still can't believe my state university doesn't offer Computer Information Technology as a major. :smh:

Only MIS and CS.

I'm a sophomore in college and i think if i transfer next year and change majors to MIS it'll be too late and i want to stay in IT ( i think :lol:)

Isn't MIS often offered at the graduate level?

Anyone else have any insight on this?
yeah, pretty sure i'm changing my major to MIS.

i completely understand my heart has also always been in the technical aspects within IT.. Understanding the business elements is great but it can be draining..

Agreed. The business elements and all the non-sense that goes with it is very draining.

Anyways I am set on the A+ and the Network+ it looks like. There is a compTIA bootcamp course near here that combines both into a 7 day 10-hr course that I can take. A bit pricey but sounds like a fast track to getting certified to increase my chances in the job market.

CS major here.

Learning Java on my own now and plan to start for Net+ soon, applying for internships as well.

Wish I could rep all you guys in the thread, solid help. :smokin

Just got hit with an asset management project. Essentially we want to barcode all our computers and manufacturing equipment. Im looking at OpenERP now known as OoDoo since its free and there are some barcode modules but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Trakit or Kaseya

Anyone looking for opportunities in MN, let me know. Tons of open positions at my agency, many of which do not require any type of certification.

Anyone get their PMP? I think it would be more beneficial than getting a Masters (as in Non MBA) or the CBAP cert

Anyone here work IT in the bay area or Seattle WA? My wife has a chance to work with Amazon and it is in Seattle. She works in SF now as I am looking for an IT gig while working my current job.

Is the Seattle job market pretty active right now in terms of IT? If she takes amazon I think we may be moving up.

Yup i know people making 100K in Seattle for Microsoft straight out school. I say its a good way to boost your career alot of people don't want to relocate to Seattle.

Back
Top Bottom