Information Technology (IT)

Any advice for someone in college right now like any good reads?

I want to be a software developer or something in the Gaming field, and I'm not a mathematical brilliant, but I love computers.

So I bought this book a few months wanting to get my foot in the IT door. View media item 1452591Was jus gonna study and get a cert. also wanted to obtain a degree in CS. My focus was in the networking aspect of IT. I'm currently attending my local CC but they only offer AAs in programming. Would it be wasteful to take classes in programming and gettin the AA and hopefully later the BS while also studyin the book? Could I get networking positions taking programming classes? Also is there a major difference in the 2? Thanks in advance for help. Sorry for the random questions.

I think it's good to have a solid all around understanding of technology when you're young so you can figure your path. Plus if you're going the Cisco route, you will be programming those switches.

I want to be a software developer or something in the Gaming field, and I'm not a mathematical brilliant, but I love computers.

My advice, practice, practice, practice. With so many different languages you can read all you want but without actually practicing it, you won't learn it. It's hard to find online tutorials for C based languages and hands, but for SQL, PHP,etc, they're out there. Practice. If u want, go to freecodecamp.com and take the 1000 hours challenge.

My advice, practice, practice, practice. With so many different languages you can read all you want but without actually practicing it, you won't learn it. It's hard to find online tutorials for C based languages and hands, but for SQL, PHP,etc, they're out there. Practice. If u want, go to freecodecamp.com and take the 1000 hours challenge.

Thanks. I haven't started any coding classes yet, but it would be nice to have a jump on the others though.

Definitely willing to check out this freecodecamp.com

Like Dathbgboy said, you have to code. Since you haven't started any classes & want the jump, find out what language you're going to be using & practice that language. Try to find the book if there is one. My school used C for 1st Sem Freshmen & we used 'Programming in C' by Kochan & I recommend it if the language is indeed C. We also had a CS Lab with different Operating Systems solely for CS students. Go there if your institution has one & network with upperclassmen, most were willing to help & give pointers (no pun intended). As for math, just pass the classes. I personally don't think you need them, but I also can see how they can be beneficial. Good luck, bro.

NT, help me out please.

I'm getting my bachelor's next month in digital media studies. I'm worried about my prospects post-graduation.

I'm thinking about going back and getting my bachelor's in IT.

What should i focus on? For the record, i absolutely despise math, but I'll do it if i need to.

NT, help me out please.

I'm getting my bachelor's next month in digital media studies. I'm worried about my prospects post-graduation.

I'm thinking about going back and getting my bachelor's in IT.

What should i focus on? For the record, i absolutely despise math, but I'll do it if i need to.

Why would you get another bachelors? Enroll in a Masters program if you feel you want to continue your education. And we cant tell you what to look at IT is broad so research different areas and narrow down what you can realistically see yourself doing.

Why would you get another bachelors? Enroll in a Masters program if you feel you want to continue your education. And we cant tell you what to look at IT is broad so research different areas and narrow down what you can realistically see yourself doing.
Yeah I meant to say Master's.

I'm clearly aware that IT is a broad field
laugh.gif
I was hoping to glean some insight on a possible avenue for me to approach. What do you do?
Certs/Masters is a better route.
What kind of certificates can I earn?

Last edited:
Certs/Masters is a better route.

This.

Unless you're trying to get into programming/software development ie computer science, you don't technically need math. You do need to have an analytical mind as you move up in IT as well as experience/knowledge.

As far as certifications, there are dozens upon dozen. Google top IT Certifications. Read up on them, see if it's something you'd be interested in.

Certifications are what YOU can use to get your foot in the door since you have no experience or education (IT or Comp SCI degree).

Last edited:
But don't think that the certs alone are going to get you in the door. You need to have experience too, look for internships.

But don't think that the certs alone are going to get you in the door. You need to have experience too, look for internships.
Yeah I'm probably going to do the master's route if I decide to become serious about IT.

I'm just wondering how getting a master's in an IT field would work out if I have no prior experience with it.

my dad does IT for the government

he is a 1099 worker the pay is really good but you gotta make sure you dont spend too much or youre screwed. uncle sam gotta eat too

he is constantly self learning things an he went to workshop in vegas just this past week he paid for himself also

you get govt rate for the hotels he is always in diff places but you save all your receipts etc

before this he worked for SAP Software & Solutions but he an some other ppl he know you can make way more 1099 route

you get in with the feds youre good, background check is no joke

anyways thats my 2 cents

o yea Indians dominate that sector also

no racist

I never said experience wasn't important. At the end, it's all about performance (+ experience) which is going to lead to raises or better jobs.

He should have realistic expectations that coming into an industry like this with no experience+education means his initial pay may not be high. The great thing about IT (depends on your out look) is that it's an industry any one can transition to.

Last edited:

I never said experience wasn't important. At the end, it's all about performance (+ experience) which is going to lead to raises or better jobs.

He should have realistic expectations that coming into an industry like this with no experience+education means his initial pay may not be high. The great thing about IT (depends on your out look) is that it's an industry any one can transition to.

I was just reiterating the importance of experience. To me it looked like we emphasized certs bit not experience. This is a great transition field, especially with different concentrations

I think I will start with C++ it seems that's the popular one.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm finishing up this semester at TCC, and moving to FSU in the summer, so I will be spending some nights trying learn quick.

Getting hit up for jobs and they start asking 21 questions on the spot... kinda nerve rattling when the info is all new to you...
IMO the key is not to memorize information, its to understand how whatever it is that you're studying works. I think I may go after my net+ cert this summer

IMO the key is not to memorize information, its to understand how whatever it is that you're studying works. I think I may go after my net+ cert this summer

I'm currently attending a security-related course. The tests are lab based.

I've been a little indifferent to the course because it hasn't really been strong on teaching concepts/theory more on tasks. So when folks get to the test, they memorize all the tasks (you're allowed to use notes) but they don't understand the concepts or the why of what they're doing.

Part of the reason why I don't like cert tests sometimes. I have a coworker who dumped the Net+. He's a good kid but his knowledge isn't really there. His excuse is the cert is the gateway to the experience. Which is true to a certain extent but I feel like the how and why are greater since it will lead to you being a better technician.

I'm currently attending a security-related course. The tests are lab based.

I've been a little indifferent to the course because it hasn't really been strong on teaching concepts/theory more on tasks. So when folks get to the test, they memorize all the tasks (you're allowed to use notes) but they don't understand the concepts or the why of what they're doing.

Part of the reason why I don't like cert tests sometimes. I have a coworker who dumped the Net+. He's a good kid but his knowledge isn't really there. His excuse is the cert is the gateway to the experience. Which is true to a certain extent but I feel like the how and why are greater since it will lead to you being a better technician.
I wasn't really too interested in going after certs, but I figure while I'm learning all this networking jazz and it's still fresh in my mind, might as well put it to use.

I decided to do a MS Info Tech opposed to the Software Engineering stuff, i`m going to pretty much use my electives to gain the skills of what currently is in demand, my boss and 2 co workers are doing my letters of rec, gonna work on my essay this week

Back
Top Bottom