Information Technology (IT)

So it's looking like I'm going for my master's in IT Management if i become serious about IT.

Last edited:
So it's looking like I'm going for my master's in IT Management if i become serious about IT.
I'm looking into a similar program. Found an MBA program with a concentration in InfoSec. When you graduate you can also sit for the CISSP.

Careerwise I want to be a CISO, CIO, or CTO. That is, if I don't start my own business. I've read articles where an MBA is becoming more sought after in those type of positions vs an MS because companies want more business-minded individuals in leadership roles. Any insight on that?

Also figured I'd drop this here: http://niccs.us-cert.gov/education/cybercorps®-scholarship-service-sfs.
Govt is looking for cyber security and info assurance professionals. They will give you a full ride + stipend and a job when you graduate. Wish I heard about this sooner.

Any of you gurus have tips on how I can extend the WiFi network in a small business?  I know there are extenders, powerline adapters etc. But attempting to determine which will provide the best coverage.

The business is around 4k sq. feet. One wired access point located towards the front of the office. business grade linksys router.

My current plan is to daisy a chain a number of wireless AP's to the primary AP, and create a repeated network throughout. But wanted to see if there are better ways to go about it.

It's hard to give advice without more info. Power line would work off of a switch port. And you could also just use wireless repeaters (just be wary of signal degradation). Or just run a long Ethernet cable from the router or switch to he other coverage area and set up another access point.

You could always ping tech exam off topic, hard forum, small net builders (probably the best). Small Net Builders is full of folks who set up networks and WLANs in home and small businesses.

Yeah, but you have to look at the business case. It's not like he's working for a medium-large business where the cost of a site survey is feasible/justifiable.

He can do a ghettofied one. Make diagrams in Visio or whatever.

What was your background in prior to starting IT?
6 months basically... got my A+ and Net+ last year. did a migration project with state farm and got an interview the week after i finished working on that project. No formal education completed but i got over 100 credits from brooklyn college. Should look to finish up next year. I got a little lucky but I worked hard in applying for jobs and learning as much as i can in as little amount of time. My electrical military background is always intriuging to employers as well

Last edited:
6 months basically... got my A+ and Net+ last year. did a migration project with state farm and got an interview the week after i finished working on that project. No formal education completed but i got over 100 credits from brooklyn college. Should look to finish up next year. I got a little lucky but I worked hard in applying for jobs and learning as much as i can in as little amount of time. My electrical military background is always intriuging to employers as well
I like your hustle. Keep doing your thing man.

Yeah, but you have to look at the business case. It's not like he's working for a medium-large business where the cost of a site survey is feasible/justifiable.

He can do a ghettofied one. Make diagrams in Visio or whatever.
This is exactly what im doing using Wifi Analyzer and a MAC app called netspot. 

Nice man! I am taking the same approach and probably adding in an MTA cert. So A+,Net+ and Sec+ is the goal and then hopefully some cisco certs.

I am just trying to get my foot in the door right now in the Bay Area. I've been needing a career change and I was planinng on going to school for this and getting a 2nd bachelors, but it seems like my time will be more valuable getting experience and earning more certifications.

Any insight? Also anyone in the Bay Area in the IT field?

@spiderjericho  I've been researching UMUC's MS in Cyber Security & MBA Duel degree program since my company will cover the entire program (looking to start this fall). I have noticed your post in the techexam forums from a few years back (assuming that was you). Did you end up pursuing your 2nd MS at UMUC? If so how was it?

I know that their MBA program isn't ranked or anything, but my thinking is that I will get the MS in CyberSec obtain the CEH, SEC+, and CISSP (in accordance with DOD 8750) to help move into cyber roles and the MBA will help me with managerial positions. If a company wants me to get an Executive MBA from a top school then I will pursue that to move up the ranks (on their dime of course).

Do you think this is a good plan? I am not sure how long it would take for me to be able to sit for the CISSP though since I just graduated and have only been working for 4 months. There is an experience requirement of 3 years right?

5 years for CISSP. You can waive a year if you have a certain degree or cert.

If you take the CISSP now and pass you'll be considered an associate. They will give you 5 years to gain 4 years of experience in two different job titles since you have a degree.

I need to stop being picky and get my certs. IT project management is my end game but don't want to take the CAPM without experience since it's only valid for 5 yrs. My homegirl just got her A+ and a Linux cert while im trying to become advanced in web development before I move on to Oracle and other Microsoft certs.

If you take the CISSP now and pass you'll be considered an associate. They will give you 5 years to gain 4 years of experience in two different job titles since you have a degree.
Okay thanks. I don't think I will meet that job title requirement within the next 5 years. I will have to look more into which titles will qualify for the cert.

@spiderjericho
 I've been researching UMUC's MS in Cyber Security & MBA Duel degree program since my company will cover the entire program (looking to start this fall). I have noticed your post in the techexam forums from a few years back (assuming that was you). Did you end up pursuing your 2nd MS at UMUC? If so how was it?

I know that their MBA program isn't ranked or anything, but my thinking is that I will get the MS in CyberSec obtain the CEH, SEC+, and CISSP (in accordance with DOD 8750) to help move into cyber roles and the MBA will help me with managerial positions. If a company wants me to get an Executive MBA from a top school then I will pursue that to move up the ranks (on their dime of course).

Do you think this is a good plan? I am not sure how long it would take for me to be able to sit for the CISSP though since I just graduated and have only been working for 4 months. There is an experience requirement of 3 years right?

Hmm, have you researched what people are saying about UMUC Cyber security? I came across a reddit post or
that mentioned it was nothing really special at and focused on super soft cyber theory instead of
actually hands on situations. My company pays full also and I'm looking for a switch up so I'm kinda interested.

Any web dev's in this thread? (ie. backend, frontend)

Is there any good alternatives to Computer science that doesn't involve as much math?

Looking at calc puts me in a bad mood. Thinking about calc puts me in a bad mood. Doing homework for calc makes me want to space walk with no suit.

Like it's legitly frustrating me.. No matter the programming course, Java or C+ I learn without problems, solve my assignments with little trouble, and do well on the test. Buy this math :smh

This internship I got as a Data Center Tech.. Honestly has me thinking about dropping if I get hired full time. Can't do this math anymore man.

Is there any good alternatives to Computer science that doesn't involve as much math?

Looking at calc puts me in a bad mood. Thinking about calc puts me in a bad mood. Doing homework for calc makes me want to space walk with no suit.

Like it's legitly frustrating me.. No matter the programming course, Java or C+ I learn without problems, solve my assignments with little trouble, and do well on the test. Buy this math :smh

This internship I got as a Data Center Tech.. Honestly has me thinking about dropping if I get hired full time. Can't do this math anymore man.
I don't know how your school works but I declared a minor and it took away some of the math requirements. I only had to take 4-5 math classes.

Hmm, have you researched what people are saying about UMUC Cyber security? I came across a reddit post or
that mentioned it was nothing really special at and focused on super soft cyber theory instead of
actually hands on situations. My company pays full also and I'm looking for a switch up so I'm kinda interested.

Any web dev's in this thread? (ie. backend, frontend)
I have been researching what people are saying and I have been seeing mixed reviews. Most people are saying that you get out of it what you put in and it is not that hands on, but what MS Cyber degree in our area is super hands on and not too expensive? I really want to do GMU's program but a 50K 18month program is not feasible. What other programs are you looking at?

From what I have gathered the UMUC program seems well rounded in the aspect of technical, policy, and management. It is also well respected by the DOD and Gov't contractors in the area which is helpful. I also looked up people with the Cyber MS on linkedin and they all have good jobs , which is another good sign. I plan on backing the degree with certifications, clearance, and work experience , so I am not too worried. IMO it takes much more than a degree to break into the cyber world.

@Jay Patt once you finish the math portion you are done forever. If your schools math is too much look into taking the classes at a local CC and transferring the credits in, much easier route only have to get a C. Also I think it is best to just finish the degree, you will need it in the long run.

Last edited:
Wasn't planning on doing desktop support forever, but I got an offer letter for executive level desktop support for a ridiculous amount of money (in my eyes) in D.C.

5 years in IT and I'm reaching goals I could only dream of before turning 30.

I have my A+, Network+ and Security+. Hoping this could translate into a network/security position, or get me in as a Fed. Being a contractor isn't too bad at times I guess.

Wasn't planning on doing desktop support forever, but I got an offer letter for executive level desktop support for a ridiculous amount of money (in my eyes) in D.C.

I have my A+, Network+ and Security+. Hoping this could translate into a network/security position, or get me in as a Fed. Being a contractor isn't too bad at times I guess.
Congrats ! What type of educational background do you have not including certs? My goal is to move into upper level management then into exec positions.

What type of positions did you work on your way up?

Congrats ! What type of educational background do you have not including certs? My goal is to move into upper level management then into exec positions.
What type of positions did you work on your way up?

My Bachelors. 4 year college..I started like any average Joe straight out of college..Tier 1 Helpdesk --> Team Lead --> Tier 2 Desktop Support --> Team Lead --> DIrect gov't POC.

It's out there, just work hard and pay your dues. You end up networking by default and you can make some really good connections. That's how I got my offer.

I too have thought about upper level management as well.

congrats man! i'm in the DC area as well.

still working on getting some certs but i'm with an IT company now that opened up many doors for me in the future.

I graduated in MIS and struggling trying to find a tier 1 help desk in the Bay Area. After reading some of the posts I think having A+ and Network+ certs might help me get a job.

Back
Top Bottom