Information Technology (IT)

I thought to meet the hours you need 4,500 hours of direct project management experience. Another cert can fulfill that requirement ?

View media item 1811747

Yeah don't confuse the two, there's the project management education hours, 35, which can be met by project+/CAPM or a certified college course. Then there is the 4500 hrs for project management experience. What i've gathered from every almost every project manager I've asked is they used hours from every single project they've ever managed. Planned a wedding, organized a vacation, completed work tasks that required organization of multiple parts/people etc.

The purpose for an MBA is purely network, no point of going to a program that isn't at least Top Regionally.

a MS on the other hand is a compact way to get new skills as curriculums change every 4-6 yrs or switch industries.

The purpose for an MBA is purely network, no point of going to a program that isn't at least Top Regionally.

a MS on the other hand is a compact way to get new skills as curriculums change every 4-6 yrs or switch industries.

So what do you think? Cheaper MS or more expensive MS ?

This, it's one of the few times when I think the prestige is actually very important.

So what do you think? Cheaper MS or more expensive MS ?

purpose of an MS is to supplement years of experience because you "trained" to get more skills opposed to getting it over time, so IMO having a good curriculum is most important, because it can also help you if you want to go the PhD route. MBA is purely to become an executive and or network with people to get into elite companies. The only reason you should be getting an MBA at a non top school if you have a useless Undergrad Degree and want to transition into an entry level business role (i.e.. a Recent Grad Development Program), so you go the cheapest route to get a relevant degree.

Yeah if I get my MBA its GTown or nothing for me. I am not aiming to get into elite companies though, for my type of work there really isn't one specific elite company. I can get into all of the companies that focus on my industry.

I was mainly going to use the MBA to get a push into the business side of things, and hopefully into higher positions.

Is that not something that I should get an MBA for?

With a software background and 0 business education throughout UG I don't feel prepared to try to move into the business side without some formal education.

Last edited:
At a lot of the top business schools the classroom learning isn't the focus, most people are there to socialize with each other and build connections. I know a few of them don't even have grade disclosure so your grades don't even matter really.

At a lot of the top business schools the classroom learning isn't the focus, most people are there to socialize with each other and build connections. I know a few of them don't even have grade disclosure so your grades don't even matter really.

Yeah I've heard that they are just networking opportunities.

Yeah if I get my MBA its GTown or nothing for me. I am not aiming to get into elite companies though, for my type of work there really isn't one specific elite company. I can get into all of the companies that focus on my industry.

I was mainly going to use the MBA to get a push into the business side of things, and hopefully into higher positions.
Is that not something that I should get an MBA for?

With a software background and 0 business education throughout UG I don't feel prepared to try to move into the business side without some formal education.

dude I went to College with, got into GA Tech MBA, lol he had a sub 3.0 GPA (I still remember he got caught cheating in our DB Admin Class and failed), but his GMAT was good. Him having GA Tech on his resume on top of being in classes with people who are already doing big things will help him out. I say if you aint going Top 10 at least go to a program that has a good alum base in your region.

luckyluchiano luckyluchiano I'm not going top 10, not interested in that stress lol.I'm also not leaving the area and taking time off from work . GTown's B school is ranked 25 and is the top business school in the DC area. I'm sure it will look good when applying for jobs in the future.

I'm not looking to start my MBA until about fall 2020. That's the plan atleast lol I'll have to see how burnt out I am after this MS.

Yeah top 10 is usually high risk, as in full time plus crazy debt for tuition and living expenses and probably relocation. High reward though. Georgetown is a good look, maybe not ranked high nationally for their mba, but money in the dc area.

Congrats, did you use any simulators or buy the physical routers and switches for ccna r&s? Studying for it right now and trying to figure out which would be better.
Finished my ccna r&s, Storage+ and ccna sec next. CCNP hopefully by the end of the summer. Then the CCIE grind begins

Congrats, did you use any simulators or buy the physical routers and switches for ccna r&s? Studying for it right now and trying to figure out which would be better.
I went for the simulator route
Packet Tracer- so yo can use switches
Boson Netsim-good labs
CBT Nuggets & CCNA 100-101 & 200-101 livelessons
Wendell Odom Book for ICND1
Lammle Book for ICND2

Yeah top 10 is usually high risk, as in full time plus crazy debt for tuition and living expenses and probably relocation. High reward though. Georgetown is a good look, maybe not ranked high nationally for their mba, but money in the dc area.

Gtowns MBA is ranked 24th nationally and ranked 13th for part time MBAs. This ranking stuff is all over the place lol. I guess Gtown is fine overall I'm not tripping over all of that, it will look good in the DMV that's all I care about. Avg base salary for graduates is 103K seems reasonable.

Vtechs MBA program is pretty good too, part time MBA is ranked 16th nationally. The dual program should work out great for you if you decide to pursue it.

Gtowns MBA is ranked 24th nationally and ranked 13th for part time MBAs. This ranking stuff is all over the place lol. I guess Gtown is fine overall I'm not tripping over all of that, it will look good in the DMV that's all I care about. Avg base salary for graduates is 103K seems reasonable.

Vtechs MBA program is pretty good too, part time MBA is ranked 16th nationally. The dual program should work out great for you if you decide to pursue it.

G town in general is a good school so its win win, going to an ivy league MBA is what you do if you are trying to be a fortune 50 company executive or somethjng lol

Have you looked at CP? Dont they have a high ranking business school?

Edit: #41. But if you're staying in the DMV I'm sure that doesn't matter. Plus it'll be a lot cheaper than GTown

Last edited:
Have you looked at CP? Dont they have a high ranking business school?

Edit: #41. But if you're staying in the DMV I'm sure that doesn't matter. Plus it'll be a lot cheaper than GTown

CP?

Edit: Oh College Park, no I haven't. They aren't ranked in the top 50 from what I can remember.

Edit 2: They are ranked #42 nationally and #26 for part time MBAs. Their cost is actually close to GTown.
CP $1465 per credit, GTown $1618 per credit not even a $200 difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom