Information Technology (IT)

Wish I lived in SF or NYC, DC isn't close. Currently doing desktop and server/admin stuff (because that guy left and I'm not getting paid for the extra work), got a Cloud cert last year, what kinds of positions should I be looking for? Any help is appreciated, currently reading a Security+ book but looking at making moves asap

Get the Security+ cert and start looking into jobs in the IT security field. Your experience w/ servers is a big plus

Get the Security+ cert and start looking into jobs in the IT security field. Your experience w/ servers is a big plus

Appreciate it, thanks!

What kinda cloud cert?

CompTia Cloud Essentials, because there wasn't enough literature/info on the Cloud+. A couple ppl have recommended a Cisco cloud cert or something as well but I guess Security+ is more useful immediately

Need some advice from you guys. I'll be done with my BA this summer but I want to get into the tech field. Counselor suggested getting my masters in CS but I don't want to take the GRE. I'll admit my gpa isn't at a 3.0 so I know I'll have to bring that up but would a masters be my only option in getting a job? I know there are certifications I can get but I'm hearing that doesn't really help in getting a job.

Need some advice from you guys. I'll be done with my BA this summer but I want to get into the tech field. Counselor suggested getting my masters in CS but I don't want to take the GRE. I'll admit my gpa isn't at a 3.0 so I know I'll have to bring that up but would a masters be my only option in getting a job? I know there are certifications I can get but I'm hearing that doesn't really help in getting a job.

Do you go to a big uni?

What's the BA in? Most MS programs have prerequisites, I know math up to differential equations/linear algebra at the bare minimum. Disregard this if your BA is in a STEM field. 

Do you go to a big uni?

Go to a state

What's the BA in? Most MS programs have prerequisites, I know math up to differential equations/linear algebra at the bare minimum. Disregard this if your BA is in a STEM field. 

Gen Bio

What math classes did you take? 

If playing catch-up takes too long, you can always demonstrate capabilities through projects, open source, etc. It would be a better use of your time, and you can work on things that interest you. Also having a science degree and it won't raise as many eyebrows as if you had say, a history degree.

What math classes did you take? 

If playing catch-up takes too long, you can always demonstrate capabilities through projects, open source, etc. It would be a better use of your time, and you can work on things that interest you. Also having a science degree and it won't raise as many eyebrows as if you had say, a history degree.

I've taken General physics 1 and 2 but I do need to take Physics with calc 3 & 4. I don't have any CS experience besides codecademy so I'll have to start learning more on my own to tackle open source projects. Appreciate the replies.

I personally don't like Codecademy, I feel like it's way too linear and once you finish, you're kind of lost as to what to do next. One thing that really helps is when you set a project goal, then just learn on the fly what you need to know to get there. Once it works, you can work on optimizing it and adding more functionality. Just Google/Stack Overflow/Read the documentation your way through it.

Also sites like Hackerrank are good for working on short problems to stay fresh.

The resources here are also useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming

^^Appreciate it! I'll definitely check out those sites and do some more reading on what my next steps should be.

I personally don't like Codecademy, I feel like it's way too linear and once you finish, you're kind of lost as to what to do next. One thing that really helps is when you set a project goal, then just learn on the fly what you need to know to get there. Once it works, you can work on optimizing it and adding more functionality. Just Google/Stack Overflow/Read the documentation your way through it.

Also sites like Hackerrank are good for working on short problems to stay fresh.

The resources here are also useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming

Yea, I stopped rocking w/ CodeCademy myself. I've still been on Free Code Camp though. They've been adding lessons and the community is growing

Go to a state
Gen Bio
Going from a BA in Bio to an MS in Comp Sci would be a very bad idea. Unless you know how to program very well, and know programming principles and theories I would not recommend jumping into a MS. MS classes will assume that you already have the foundation, and like others have said there are prerequisites for getting into the program.

Most MS in CS prereqs will include higher level math courses, higher lever programming courses ( advanced data structures and algorithms usually). Most schools also have a prereq of obtaining a similar degree in undergrad (CS, CE, engineering). I say if you want to go the CS route start with a graduate certificates program, and if you do well with that continue on to finish the degree.

I went from a BS in Molec Bio and attempted to get a double major with CS, **** is not as easy as it sounds. Had to switch to a minor

yanky yanky

Are you planning on working in tech immediately upon graduation? From what you've mentioned so far, that's probably going to be nearly impossible.

1. Lack of any programming courses: codeacademy may have helped you break into coding, but questions on technical interviews include some academia as well (if this is for a developer role).
    i.e. You learned the sort method/function for a given language online, but I've sat in interviews where they ask "what sort algorithm is faster between bubble-sort, merge-sort, etc". A CS major may be able to recall their Big-O to answer or make a close enough guess. I've never seen that mentioned on any of these tutorial sites.
  2. Low GPA: Most companies aren't looking for someone below a 3.0 in this field. Those that do may want you to have a 3.0 in the related CS courses or some related work experience (internship, school help desk, side-projects, etc).

Since you still have 2 semesters left, I'd suggest at least throwing in a "Intro to Programming" class, or an intermediate one, to have something on your transcript. Continue with the self learning as well. If you're not trying to get into the field immediately, maybe taking classes at a community college for an associates/certifican would help?

Again, not impossible, just nearly. I've worked with a guy who was a linguistics major with little to no experience in programming. I guess linguistics can be applied to understanding code syntax, and writing it the best way possible, etc.. I never knew.

Depends what you want to do but our tech program at work will take non tech majors. The tech field isn't exclusive to CS work. If you have two semesters left you should try to get an internship. A lot of companies don't care about your skills at the intern level (and to be frank the entry level as well). Most of enterprise technology is processed based work as opposed to what you see on tv. Hell our software testing done at my location has maybe 1 person with a CS degree. Coming out of a college you just need someone to take a chance on you.

Check your schools career website, refresh your resume, and apply to big tech leadership programs. All major companies have them. Some do look to fill rolls in development but like I said that's just one part of technology. MetLife for example fills all roles in their new NC location and gave a great program. I would apply with them as they were willing to offer me a dba-like position with no experience on a prod environment(which lets be honest most students will not have).

You don't know until you try. Apply apply, getting into Technology isn't as hard as people make it seem and def doesn't require a masters in CS.

Last edited:
^ Agreed. If you're not looking to go into development, but just be in IT, you can find something. Experience and GPA will still be something you need to work on your last couple of semesters. My prior employee had a rotational program I interned with. You had your collection of CS, IS, IE and Finance majors.

I'm not aware of any software internships that are taking non technical/software majors. I applied to hundreds of internships don't recall a single one taking non tech/comp eng majors.

Getting into tech, and getting into software engineering are two totally different things IMO. Not saying its impossible, but I think some of the recommendations are very unrealistic. There are CS majors that can barely land an internship out here.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any software internships that are taking non technical/software majors. I applied to hundreds of internships don't recall a single one taking non tech/comp eng majors.

Getting into tech, and getting into software engineering are two totally different things IMO. Not saying its impossible, but I think some of the recommendations are very unrealistic. There are CS majors that can barely land an internship out here.

Yea i looked at the software engineering curriculum at my school and while a few classes are use ful some of that stuff is waaaaaaaaaay too technical. Like its much more than remembering syntax but then again this is a masters program so the purpose isnt to learn something but more so understand why the things you learn work the way they do.

Yea i looked at the software engineering curriculum at my school and while a few classes are use ful some of that stuff is waaaaaaaaaay too technical. Like its much more than remembering syntax but then again this is a masters program so the purpose isnt to learn something but more so understand why the things you learn work the way they do.
A BS in CS isn't just remembering syntax lol thats programming 101.

The MS program will have core classes and electives that must be taken and I am sure that there will be more than a few technical classes.

I think that people looking to get into software should look up an example technical software interview, that will put things into perspective. 

A BS in CS isn't just remembering syntax lol thats programming 101.

The MS program will have core classes and electives that must be taken and I am sure that there will be more than a few technical classes.
I think that people looking to get into software should look up an example technical software interview, that will put things into perspective. 

A bachelors = you have the ability to learn
A masters = is you understand what you learn
Phd= you can teach what you learned

The syntax is trivial to the program. Programming is just a tiny subset of computer science. You could theoretically study/obtain a BS in CS without coding.

The syntax is trivial to the program. Programming is just a tiny subset of computer science. You could theoretically study/obtain a BS in CS without coding.
You think so? I don't at all.

You won't make it past the weed out courses without coding. Pull up any CS curriculum it will be heavily focused on programming.

Goodluck man @LuckyLuchiano  

Goodluck to you too @silkboi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom