Information Technology (IT)

Naw. I need to jump on that horse myself prior to my retiring from the military.

Thinking WGU. And maybe going back to UMUC after I retire.

Naw. I need to jump on that horse myself prior to my retiring from the military.

Good idea Jericho, I just heard UMUC isn't hands on which is why I went with Hopkins. Hopkins is very hands on, Ill let you know how the Cyber Security courses are once I start them next semester.

Just accepted a role for a consultant position as a fintech company. Some pre-sale stuff but mostly implementations/customization. Feels good to be getting out of operations

Got my Dell cert. today.... small, but its something.....

Anyone know what the job market is looking like these days for desktop support 
nerd.gif

You guys ever hear of cybrary.it? A coworker introduced me to it, they offer free training courses.
I'm going to give the Pentesting course a try during my down time. They also have a Risk Management Framework course, if you're interested in getting into infosec for any fed positions and have a familiarity with RMF on your resume that will give you a huge advantage over the rest of the applicants.

Not sure if any of the organizations will count the hours towards CEUs or CPEs. If they'll accept it, I'm going to knock out as many courses as I can

Last edited:

I have a meeting Friday with UAB, they have a track geared towards security but it's pretty expensive. Hoping they'll let me pay at the end of the semester because that's the way my job is set up. They'll reimburse you for the tuition but only at the end of the semester and I'm not trying to drop 1k+ per ever credit hour and not get paid back until months later

I have a meeting Friday with UAB, they have a track geared towards security but it's pretty expensive. Hoping they'll let me pay at the end of the semester because that's the way my job is set up. They'll reimburse you for the tuition but only at the end of the semester and I'm not trying to drop 1k+ per ever credit hour and not get paid back until months later

Why not student loan it?

This is what I'm going through with Hopkins, they won't do deferred tuition. So I have to pay for the class upfront smfh.

Last edited:
Bros,

For a newb into cyber security anyone wanna show me some stuff to read up on to learn more about registrant/domain/ISPs??

I wanna learn more but i feel lost/stuck. IDK where to look at...

Hey guys, any tips for me. I got a BA in Information Technology from Rutgers 2 years ago. I've been working at Comcast Business for the past year and a half as a Tier 1 Technical Support Rep and an Account Auditor. The role is **** but I did it to gain some type of tangible experience since i was lazy in college and didn't do any internships :smh:

Really looking to move into a BA role, whats the best way to obtain an entry level BA role. My current experience isn't specific to BA responsibilities, is there any certs or materials I can look into that will get me more familiar with the day to day responsibilities of a BA. Any help would be appreciated.

For you MIS majors, how has your job outlook been?

I love Computer Science. I excel in my programming courses. 

But that math 
mean.gif
 I can't do it anymore. Tired of it, don't want to take it any further than I've gone with it and having to go through Calc 1, 2, & 3 alongside Differential Equations? Man no.

All the classes I've taken up till this point transfer over almost perfectly into MIS, and a managerial role is where I wanted to end up anyways within IT.

From the business side, I'd want to transition into Project Management.

From the programming side, I wanted to focus on Mobile Application Development (Android).

Last edited:
Can't you reduce some of the math requirements if you take a minor? I took a minor in digital forensics and ended up only having to take about 4 math classes.

But that math :smh:  I can't do it anymore. Tired of it, don't want to take it any further than I've gone with it and having to go through Calc 1, 2, & 3 alongside Differential Equations? Man no.

All the classes I've taken up till this point transfer over almost perfectly into MIS, and a managerial role is where I wanted to end up anyways within IT.

From the programming side, I wanted to focus on Mobile Application Development (Android).

I have an IT degree but I will tell you don't do it. As a man don't let something as simple as math classes make you downgrade your degree. I went to a school that had more programming in our IT degree than most and still it's no where near the experience a CS major would get. It boils down to believing in yourself, you started a journey and to pivot just because of some math classes is not worth it. A CS degree will get you any job an IT/MIS degree would have regardless out of college and more.

I've heard plenty of stories of people starting at cs then can't handle IT and then go down to business. I've seen people flop from mechanical engineering and try to do it or business. Honestly it's not worth it. Might as well get the best value you can out of your degree. If you're having a problem with learning I am sure at least calc 1 and 2 should be offered a community college which may help with class size problems, which I hated.

I say to never drop from CS to IT degree. The math really isn't that bad, I stuggled with the math but it never made me want to drop down to an IT degree. Go to tutors, take classes at a community college, or study with classmates. Its only 4 required math classes . Finesse your way through, you will most likely never use the math again.

But that math 
mean.gif
 I can't do it anymore. Tired of it, don't want to take it any further than I've gone with it and having to go through Calc 1, 2, & 3 alongside Differential Equations? Man no.

Graduated over 3 years ago with MIS degree. I wouldnt change my major if I could go back. Job outlook has been even better than I expected. Got 2 internships in college and am now in my 3rd job after graduating. Got a salary bump with each new job. Got a couple other offers that I didnt accept too.

It's different for everyone though. You have to be a go-getter. My cousin graduated with a CS degree in May and is still jobless cause he hasnt invested much time. the CS degree is not the issue though as it's just as marketable.

Last edited:
Glad this thread was bumped as I never saw it before.  Currently are CompTIA A+ certs worth anything?  I went to school for business, but looking to do/get into something new and considered getting certified that way and then deciding what move to make from there.  Any other certifications one would recommend?  Network support, information security etc?

Any experiences, thoughts, knowledge will be appreciated. 

Glad this thread was bumped as I never saw it before.  Currently are CompTIA A+ certs worth anything?  I went to school for business, but looking to do/get into something new and considered getting certified that way and then deciding what move to make from there.  Any other certifications one would recommend?  Network support, information security etc?

Any experiences, thoughts, knowledge will be appreciated. 

Met a dude in a bowling alley who was maintenance who had one, it's practically useless. Would think your bachelors would get you more money than an A+, how have you tried to enter into IT? Have you applied for more softer skilled roles? Enterprise Technology encompasses a lot more than just fixing someone's desktop, you are driving business solutions. I would first recommend you to go onto code academy and learn SQL.

Last edited:
Met a dude in a bowling alley who was maintenance who had one, it's practically useless. Would think your bachelors would get you more money than an A+, how have you tried to enter into IT? Have you applied for more softer skilled roles? Enterprise Technology encompasses a lot more than just fixing someone's desktop, you are driving business solutions. I would first recommend you to go onto code academy and learn SQL.
Excellent reply, thanks.  I havent tried applying into anything IT, but thought that would be a gateway into that world.  Also, when just browsing around the IT listings, that's a certification I usually see mentioned which is why I asked. 

I definitely wouldn't say that A+ is practically useless. Maybe in your area , but in the DC area it can help you get your foot in the door for a help desk position.

If you do get the A+ cert, I'd definitely get another compTIA cert with it (Network+ or Security+).

Back
Top Bottom