Information Technology (IT)

I need help.... I'm very much into computers. I like to take them apart and put them back together. I like to deal with upgrading software.I fix phones on the side and I also like to build websites but through places like Wordpress not really big on coding but can do little small stuff. But is there anywhere in the IT field for me? Been looking to get a certification but not sure if there is a field for me in IT???

Big bump. How's everyone's career or schools going. I'm a little over a month into my new role and as a consultant. Has been an interesting experience

Started my MBA w/ a concentration on Management Information Systems yesterday. Hope that can get me into a BA position so I get that PM position in a couple years or start my own company. Going to join PMI when I get the chance

I need help.... I'm very much into computers. I like to take them apart and put them back together. I like to deal with upgrading software.I fix phones on the side and I also like to build websites but through places like Wordpress not really big on coding but can do little small stuff. But is there anywhere in the IT field for me? Been looking to get a certification but not sure if there is a field for me in IT???

What do you want to do, hardware or software? If hardware is up your alley, CompTIA A+ is a solid cert to have. As far as software, you have to get more involved w/ languages if you're going to be a web developer. Freecodecamp is a great start. Also look into learning a C language, ASP.Net, Java, and PHP or Ruby. Obviously you research and learn the languages that is more geared towards what you want to do. And WordPress, while simple, is no small feat to learn and do so it's good to know in the webdev world

What do you want to do, hardware or software? If hardware is up your alley, CompTIA A+ is a solid cert to have. As far as software, you have to get more involved w/ languages if you're going to be a web developer. Freecodecamp is a great start. Also look into learning a C language, ASP.Net, Java, and PHP or Ruby. Obviously you research and learn the languages that is more geared towards what you want to do. And WordPress, while simple, is no small feat to learn and do so it's good to know in the webdev world
When people say hardware what do they exactly mean?

Yo! Hows everyone? So i just got more responsibility with my job. Anyone familiar with service now? I just finished the admin training and ill be responsible for implementing and rolling it out. Any tips? Pitfall i should be looking for? First time doing so.

Big bump. How's everyone's career or schools going. I'm a little over a month into my new role and as a consultant. Has been an interesting experience
Still working on my same assignment *sigh* , trying to land this overseas position still. Now that I'm done with school have time to focus on the Security+ exam had to hold off on it during the semester.

When people say hardware what do they exactly mean?

Well, you said you like to take them apart and what not so is that what you want to focus on? You could look into builds, computer repair, network setup, etc. One thing you'll notice is how broad IT is.

That was an EXCELLENT opportunity capital sb capital sb . Wish i was in MD. I'd do it for the clearance alone :lol:

There are people who have made entire careers out of less as far as actual IT work is concerned. If you already know how to take apart and put together computers, congratulations, you are more knowledgable than some of the techs at your local Geek Squad. Building Wordpress sites is a good skill to have as well, but if I were you I'd expand on that. Wordpress is just one platform, so if you learn how to use and operate some of the other big platforms that people use (Big Cartel, Square Space, Blogger, etc.) you could go a long way in just helping people set up and maintain their online businesses.

There's definitely space for you in the IT world, it just depends on where you want to go with it. Do you want to work for a company, or do you want to be a contractor? You might be more inclined for the hardware side of things (taking apart and piecing together computers and equipment,) the software side of things (customizing wordpress/ other sites, upgrading software, etc,) OR you may figure out that the best fit is somewhere between the IT and business side (CIOs, Analysts, etc.) When someone says hardware, they usually mean the physical equipment - monitors, desktop towers, motherboards, processors, video cards, etc. Hardware is like the physical body of a computer. Software is the stuff that goes on inside, after the computer has been turned on.

Yo! Hows everyone? So i just got more responsibility with my job. Anyone familiar with service now? I just finished the admin training and ill be responsible for implementing and rolling it out. Any tips? Pitfall i should be looking for? First time doing so.

Congrats man. Not familiar with service now, but here are some general tips for deploying stuff:

- Document EVERYTHING. The process for this really depends on your agency, but there should be some type of documentation protocol to follow. If there isn't, STOP AND ESTABLISH THIS NOW FOR YOUR FUTURE SANITY. Just trust me.

- Start with a limited deployment. Identift a few machines/users that you can test deploying the software/hardware on. If your company uses multiple computer models, make sure the popular models make the list as well as some of your more obscure models.

- Make sure to take notes of any common issues you encounter during those test installations, and don't forget to document it so that you can identify any patterns (does the install always fail on a certain model, or system image?)

- After working out the kinks and you can reliably deploy the software to that test group, expand to deploying it for an entire division, preferably the smallest division who will use it the most. Take note of any issues they encounter after deployment, then have them test the application for a week. Are there any common issues reported? Are there any issues that staff experience? Or is there a list of frequently asked questions that you can create a FAQ for to address before/during the agency wide deployment?

- You should, at the very least, have a list of common issues that occur during installation, and an idea of what issues that staff will have when it goes out to everyone. This will help you tremendously when you deploy it to everyone in your agency, because you'll already know what the common issues are and how to solve them, which will leave extra time to focus on the major issues that might pop up.

Side note: Brief update about my Oracle DBA goal:

View media item 2149084
:smile:

Last edited:
So Tomorrow I start my first day at my new company as a Senior BA. Back on the software dev side and can't be more happy. Pretty much since starting my career 4 yrs ago I have more doubled my salary and learned so much.

Stay Focused and humble brehs, we're all gonna make it. :smokin

Just getting into IT, making a career change. Friend of mine gave me a CCNA/CCNP course to look at.

Anyone every heard of or used "CareerAcademy.com" I bought it on Groupon it has a lot of courses but I don't know which courses I should devote time to or not.

@LuckyLuchiano do you mind follow up this question. Perhaps in regards to interview questions you have had for BA roles, qualities of good BA, and some info on requirement gathering

BA is a Generic Title honestly, every org uses "BA" in a different way. some Universal traits though are being able to interview Stakeholders (communication skills) and business process design. Anything else really depends on the industry and then the organization.

Still working on my same assignment *sigh* , trying to land this overseas position still. Now that I'm done with school have time to focus on the Security+ exam had to hold off on it during the semester.
Oh man, good luck with Sec+.

I hear this current edition is a beast. I'm so glad I went the CEUs route instead of taking the test over (passed the 301 three years ago).

@Yeah Yup whoever gets the co-op will be giving their career a huge head start. Cali , Texas , Florida (maybe) and the DMV are the only areas I know of that use this clearance.

@LuckyLuchiano Congrats man. Thats why this field is so great , doubling salaries under 5 years thats unheard of.

@PMatic man if I would have known Comptia was switching up all of the rules and tests I would have done security+ when I was younger.

Their test were a joke back then.

@BLUEGREEN33 just about every school offers IT/CS . I say any in state school is fine .

The Network manager here reached out to me Friday and asked me if I still was interested in doing some networking tasks. Told me setup a machine with Visio and add myself to the Network Admin security group as well. Now I'm just waiting for a license for Secure CRT. Definitely looking forward to the experience I will gain from this.

Yeah, I need to renew my CCNP but will pursue their IA masters afterward.

And CompTIA expanded their cyber security exams with their Security Analyst exam. The test is currently in beta. I just wish they did more to promote their tests in the commercial sector since they have no real value compared to other certs like CISSP, OSCP, etc.

Anyone here take the new CCNA R&S or has taken the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 tests? I'm trying to get into a system admin or network admin role. I've been doing helpdesk for about a year and a half. Thinking its time to make a jump into some kind of admin role. I already do some work on the servers at my current job with active directory and exchange. We also have so Cisco switches that I've made some changes to such as changing vlans and configuring ports. I've also done some group policy and created calendars in exchange from some consulting jobs I also do. Was just thinking how beneficial one of those certs would be in getting a new role.

Well, you said you like to take them apart and what not so is that what you want to focus on? You could look into builds, computer repair, network setup, etc. One thing you'll notice is how broad IT is.
Ok if I wanted to get into that what would the approbate name be? For example I can't just say I want to come repair computers, and setup networks and things like that. I know it has to be a name for it lol

That was an EXCELLENT opportunity @BeezyGotSole. Wish i was in MD. I'd do it for the clearance alone
laugh.gif

There are people who have made entire careers out of less as far as actual IT work is concerned. If you already know how to take apart and put together computers, congratulations, you are more knowledgable than some of the techs at your local Geek Squad. Building Wordpress sites is a good skill to have as well, but if I were you I'd expand on that. Wordpress is just one platform, so if you learn how to use and operate some of the other big platforms that people use (Big Cartel, Square Space, Blogger, etc.) you could go a long way in just helping people set up and maintain their online businesses.

There's definitely space for you in the IT world, it just depends on where you want to go with it. Do you want to work for a company, or do you want to be a contractor? You might be more inclined for the hardware side of things (taking apart and piecing together computers and equipment,) the software side of things (customizing wordpress/ other sites, upgrading software, etc,) OR you may figure out that the best fit is somewhere between the IT and business side (CIOs, Analysts, etc.) When someone says hardware, they usually mean the physical equipment - monitors, desktop towers, motherboards, processors, video cards, etc. Hardware is like the physical body of a computer. Software is the stuff that goes on inside, after the computer has been turned on.

I would work rather be a contractor but I wouldn't turn down a job with a company. I would like to be in-between both software and hardware. I'm a bout to get started back on freecodecamp. Web design is really something I like. Especially when I have a finished site. I'm just trying to find the right path.

Back
Top Bottom