Introducing the Microsoft Surface

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Digital ink
Palm Blocking Pen input

Ivy Bridge Processor in the Pro Version (same Intel chipset used on the new MacBooks, thought exact speed not yet specified)

USB 3.0 (Pro)

1080p Display

Magnetically connected Multi-Touch keyboard (tacticel version also available)

3 hinged flip out stand  

Xbox Gaming

Run Full Windows Programs on the Pro

ae926ba675cfc0f9a57845e795c66ec9a94cba6a_r.gif

This is going to be competing with Ultrabooks though... I don't know. Zenbook Prime comes to mind as an alternative that might be better, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by Carver

What's the prices looking like? if it's a good price... coppedx2

No solid pricing yet.
M$ has to be careful not to undercut their other Windows 8 manufacturers (ASUS, Acer, MSI, Dell etc.) so they are just saying that the RT version will be priced similarly to the other Win 8 tablets on the market and the Pro version will be priced similarly to the Ultrabooks dropping in the Fall. 

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Nothing is gonna kill the iPad, that Surface could be 10x better spec wise and it still woudnt RIP the iPad. 
laugh.gif
eyes.gif
tired.gif

Who cares about popularity and sales though.
I'm talking about product superiority. 

This could very well make the iPad more of a niche product...albeit a good selling niche product.

This could very well make the iPad more of a niche product...albeit a good selling niche product.

One of the reasons the iPad is currently the best tablet on the market is the app support, which comes from popularity and sales since devs know where the money is. The Windows 8 ecosystem is brand new, so Microsoft will have to find a way to get quality devs on their platform.

Originally Posted by useref15

Looks cool and all, but at the end of the day, it's still Windows.

Lol.
Windows 8 is light years better than iOS for the iPad.

Its not even comparable.

Originally Posted by HTownTexan

Apple products will never die because they are the fad..... Its "cool" to have an Apple Product.

theyve been the fad for over 10 years bruh, time to stop calling it that

Originally Posted by useref15

Looks cool and all, but at the end of the day, it's still Windows.

Lol.
Windows 8 is light years better than iOS for the iPad.

Its not even comparable.
I would love to see you and that usainbolt dude debate apple vs windows.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mp3911

One of the reasons the iPad is currently the best tablet on the market is the app support, which comes from popularity and sales since devs know where the money is. The Windows 8 ecosystem is brand new, so Microsoft will have to find a way to get quality devs on their platform.
They've been throwing a lot of money behind that and Windows Phone is actually off to a better start as far as app development than Android was.
With this multi-faceted attack their app support is guaranteed to flourish. Windows 8 is going to run on phones, tablets, laptops and PCs but developers only need to develop for one platform, since the OS is virtually the same across platforms. 

Its gonna be more economical as far as development just to make 1 Windows 8 version of Angry Birds, than to develop 1 for the iPhone and port it to Mountain Lion or w.e. other Mac OS. Developers are still gonna devote massive attention to Apple but Windows has and will always hold weight.

With Microsoft streamlining their software platform as they have, they will definitely be getting their fair share of attention from developers.

Microsoft will always be garbage.. And I have only personally owned Microsoft computers/laptops.

Why intro a new product and nobody can play with it to put up a review. Also, I hate with there's a TBA price and release date. I guess Apple spoiled me. SMH.

They've been throwing a lot of money behind that and Windows Phone is actually off to a better start as far as app development than Android was.
With this multi-faceted attack their app support is guaranteed to flourish. Windows 8 is going to run on phones, tablets, laptops and PCs but developers only need to develop for one platform, since the OS is virtually the same across platforms. 

A majority of the popular apps are already on WindowsPhone or on their way there so guarantee that developers will be making apps that can be sold across several different platforms.

Its gonna be more economical as far as development just to make 1 Windows 8 version of Angry Birds, than to develop 1 for the iPhone and port it to Mountain Lion or w.e. other Mac OS. Developers are still gonna devote massive attention to Apple but Windows has and will always hold weight.

With Microsoft streamlining their software platform as they have, they will definitely be getting their fair share of attention from developers.

Windows Phone still is lagging behind in apps, and its been 1 year since release. In that year, they've captured a grand total of 4% market share, so that doesn't bode well for Windows 8. WP lacks the standout apps that litter the iOS App Store and have made their way over to Android, like Instapaper, Temple Run, and Flipboard, just to name a few. Windows has held its own as a desktop OS, but with Win8, they're promoting Metro, a new design theme that requires a full rewrite of existing apps. It'll be interesting to see how many devs actually take the time to do that, instead of packaging a new desktop version of their existing application and only allowing it to run on the Win8 desktop interface. The mobile marketplace is akin to the rising tablet marketplace in that brand new applications must be written instead of quickly fixing up old pieces of software to work on the new OS. Microsoft's weight is a factor, but to truly make an impact, the OS needs to penetrate the market and quickly gain marketshare in order to attract money-hungry, talented developers. Advertising will play a crucial role, as will pricing and release date.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Microsoft will always be garbage.. And I have only personally owned Microsoft computers/laptops.

pretty much

nobody has any reason to buy this thing versus say an asus or samsung tab with W8

micosoft has always been meh when it comes to pushing hardware, they just happen to hit a home run when it came to xbox live and its nearest competitor costing $200 more
laugh.gif

Non-tech guys talking bout iPad killer, some you know the feeling of me of iOS products (although I have a Macbook Pro, thats as far i will go with apple products) this it not killing the iPad. However Google might want to open their eyes. My Android heads know this too. Android tabs are not popular, they are great for the Android enthusiast or your cheap friends who rocks a kindle fire or pandigtal. Google has the real competition coming from this product cause, Android doesn't have the App support for tablets like apple does and if Microsoft has already open up the there app store before the release date of Windows 8 give them a leg up and also it the Surface pro will run legacy Windows software that business will take advantage of and your regular joe will like just doing regular surfing the net. Google better have something up their sleeves when "Jelly Bean" rolls out later this year.

This not killing the iPad
This might have some success but if priced to high people will just get a iPad.
This might Microsoft most useful product in a long time.

This is not for me.....Android devices and Google products only
pimp.gif
(And a Macbook too
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted by mp3911

A majority of the popular apps are already on WindowsPhone or on their way there so guarantee that developers will be making apps that can be sold across several different platforms.

Windows Phone still is lagging behind in apps, and its been 1 year since release. In that year, they've captured a grand total of 4% market share, so that doesn't bode well for Windows 8. WP lacks the standout apps that litter the iOS App Store and have made their way over to Android, like Instapaper, Temple Run, and Flipboard, just to name a few. Windows has held its own as a desktop OS, but with Win8, they're promoting Metro, a new design theme that requires a full rewrite of existing apps. It'll be interesting to see how many devs actually take the time to do that, instead of packaging a new desktop version of their existing application and only allowing it to run on the Win8 desktop interface. The mobile marketplace is akin to the rising tablet marketplace in that brand new applications must be written instead of quickly fixing up old pieces of software to work on the new OS. Microsoft's weight is a factor, but to truly make an impact, the OS needs to penetrate the market and quickly gain marketshare in order to attract money-hungry, talented developers. Advertising will play a crucial role, as will pricing and release date.

Good points but its Microsoft.
Their presence in the home and the office faaaar outweighs Apple. 1 Billion Windows PCs vs a couple hundred million Macs. Developers will flock regardless. They're gonna have to develop programs for Windows home and office, which will bolster the Windows mobile space since the transition is virtually effortless.

And WindowsPhone is off to a better start as far as apps than Android was and look how far they have come.

M$ already has the best cloud integration and with SmartGlass for the Xbox and Windows8 coming in the Fall, things are going to get real interesting. 

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

At the end of the day iOS>
laugh.gif

I have the iPad and iPod touch and iOS is basic %#@!. Mess around with ICS and compare the 2.

I dont even understand why people are so concerned about it killing the ipad or not killing it?

As if you cant enjoy products coming from more than one company
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom