Is Dez Bryant really overrated?

Chose to use Roddy White as an example since in recent years, we've proclaimed him to be one of the best wideouts in the game. I usually take this with a grain of salt as NT flip flops between who are the top wideouts. Anyway:

Roddy white first 32 games: 59 rec, 952 yards, 3 Touchdowns.

Roddy was also a 1st round pick.. and came into the league at 24

Dez Bryant first 30 games: 121 rec, 1653 yards, 15 Touchdowns (17 TOTAL TDs if you include the PR's)

Dez Bryant is NOW 23 years old with a multitude of issues coming into the league including last years lockout and not playing football at all prior to his rookie season in the NFL.

The following is a very quick list of WR's who's first two seasons were equal to Dez's or WORSE:

Greg Jennings
Reggie Wayne
Michael Irvin
Terrell Owens
Steve Smith
Vincent Jackson
Santonio Holmes

In order for someone to be overrated they had to have been receiving some sort of outrageous recognition from scouts fans etc to elevate them to their "god like" status. I don't understand how anyone can claim Dez is overrated. If you thought Dez was going to be the second coming of Randy Moss then yes he's extremely overrated because Randy came swinging out the gate. But considering he didn't play his last year in college, was affected by last years lockout and never had a full off season prior to this year and he's put up the above numbers (some with passes being thrown by Jon Kitna), is he really overated? Or is it just people's blind hate for Shoes and the Cowboys that makes him overrated?

Last edited:
Care to offer some insight based on the facts posted above? Or are you not able to put down your Cowboy-hate glasses for a moment and look at something objectively? Again, I understand a lot of you have very CLEAR vendettas against Shoes, which I find quite hilarious by the way. But it should still be allowed for you to debate without clearly being borderline hateful.

But then again, its the Cowboys. :lol:

Care to offer some insight based on the facts posted above? Or are you not able to put down your Cowboy-hate glasses for a moment and look at something objectively? Again, I understand a lot of you have very CLEAR vendettas against Shoes, which I find quite hilarious by the way. But it should still be allowed for you to debate without clearly being borderline hateful.

But then again, its the Cowboys.
laugh.gif
All of that because he said "this will be good"...

Roddy White played with Michael Vick throwing him the ball early in his career not a 100+ rating QB in a passing league.

Stop it

I've seen him post some outrageous things in regards to the Boys, which is natural being that he's a Giants fan. I've posted outrageous things being a Boys fan. It's normal.

^^ Glad you brought that up. So we agree Romo is better than Vick? What about the other WR's listed? Did you forget Jon Kitna was throwing to Dez for most of his rookie season? Is Jon Kitna > Vick too?

I made this thread because I'm wondering if people realize the stats Dez has put up are at the very least above average. I'm curious to know WHY he's overrated wen putting up the #s he has posted? The only logical reason I can think of is because people thought he was going to be the next Randy Moss. And I hang around a lot of football heads and NO ONE put Dez on that pedestal coming out of that 2010 draft.

I was hoping for a semi decent debate with facts backing up each supporting argument. But I'm getting the usual "Eh I'd rather just ignore facts and keep my mind made up and post something taking indirect jabs at the thread starter" posts.

Lemme guess: Its because Dez Bryant has zero playoff wins?

Last edited:
He doesn't have enough 100+ games and the 1000+ yard season yet (injuries). That's all it is. They try but they can't deny his talent.
If (when) he gets the mental part down he'll beast. Three year receiver rule. I expect Dez to break out soon.

He's like this generation Antonio Bryant imo

Same last name and number don't make you the same player. I liked Bryant as a Cowboy but he couldn't separate himself
from a slightly past their primes Glenn and Galloway. You put Dez in that situation he's the number one no contest.

Last edited:
He's like this generation Antonio Bryant imo

Antonio Bryant first 32 Games: 1283 yards, 83 Rec, 8 TDs.

^^ Even if Dez put up those #s I wouldn't say he's overated. Got confused with Joey Galloway and Antonio Bryant for a moment..

GMsboy: Good points. Dez only has 2 100 yard games. However, if we're going to give Roddy White a pass because he had Vick throwing him the ball (which Vick is apparenlly now subpar), there's a few "excuses" I can make for Dez. He plays on a team where the tightend has twice as many targets as any receiver since 2006, is playing opposite another #1 WR who has a better reporr with Romo, and a QB that CANNOT throw a fade for the life of him.

Last edited:
He doesn't have enough 100+ games and the 1000+ yard season yet (injuries). That's all it is. They try but they can't deny his talent.
If (when) he gets the mental part down he'll beast. Three year receiver rule. I expect Dez to break out soon.
Same last name and number don't make you the same player. I liked Bryant as a Cowboy but he couldn't separate himself
from a slightly past their primes Glenn and Galloway. You put Dez in that situation he's the number one no contest.

Austin is always hurt and he still isnt the number 1 guy.

and like said previously, Romo is a great passer, why hasnt this guy put it together?

Last edited:
Compare him to julio jones. Way better comparison. Both on teams with high caliber wide receivers opposite them and an outstanding tight end.

Austin is always hurt and he still isnt the number 1 guy.

and like said previously, Romo is a great passer, why hasnt this guy put it together?

-When Romo hits Dez its usually down the field or a comeback. Blocking doesn't always give him the time before he gives it to Witten
or someone like Laurent (last year) or Ogletree. Plus Romo likes Witten.

- Three year receiver rule.

Compare him to julio jones. Way better comparison. Both on teams with high caliber wide receivers opposite them and an outstanding tight end.

Brilliant !

JJ

80 Rec 1272 Yards 15.9 ave 12 TDs ( 18 games )

Dez

129 Rec 1,758 Yards 13.6 avg 15 TDs ( 31 Games )

Seems like you guys flip flop around to fit your agenda. In one thread, Romo is horrible, "Tony Turnover" etc. Now its "He's got a 100+ passer rating, he's a great passer."

Kinda hard to do Julio Jones when he hasn't played two full seasons :lol:. Stick to just talking about the Texans bruh :lol:

Also, I'm hoping the Cowboy hate isn't so blind to believe that the Cowboys o-line even holds a candle to the Falcons oline.

-When Romo hits Dez its usually down the field or a comeback. Blocking doesn't always give him the time before he gives it to Witten
or someone like Laurent (last year) or Ogletree. Plus Romo likes Witten.
- Three year receiver rule.

- So its Romos fault? (romo aint dropping all the passes, just saying )

- Its his 3rd year

hes 41st in Yards this season ( 269 )

37th in Receptions ( 21 )

0 TDs

So after this year we can call him a bust and be fine with it?

The reason he's dubbed "overrated" is because the hype on Dez was way too strong. So he has to live with that, the Cowboys have to live with that, Cowboy fans have to live with that, and dudes that hyped up Dez Bryant as the second coming of Jesus have to live with that.

There is no denying his talent, you think the Cowboys are going to pay for babysitters for a chump. Nope, they know this guy is immensely talented but he is a head case, let's not even get started on his family issues.

So yes, he has been a disappointment, not a bust, but definitely disappointing. He wasn't a high first round pick to begin with due to his "issues", the only WR that got picked ahead was Demaryius Thomas (A reach at the time). Thomas is just living up to that lofty draft slot with Peyton throwing the ball at him. Following year you have AJ Green and Julio Jones go high in the first round and produce almost immediately with no off field issues.

In no way he's a bust, but I would say he's been a disappointment.

Reactions: mmg

I've seen him post some outrageous things in regards to the Boys, which is natural being that he's a Giants fan. I've posted outrageous things being a Boys fan. It's normal.

^^ Glad you brought that up. So we agree Romo is better than Vick? What about the other WR's listed? Did you forget Jon Kitna was throwing to Dez for most of his rookie season? Is Jon Kitna > Vick too?

I made this thread because I'm wondering if people realize the stats Dez has put up are at the very least above average. I'm curious to know WHY he's overrated wen putting up the #s he has posted? The only logical reason I can think of is because people thought he was going to be the next Randy Moss. And I hang around a lot of football heads and NO ONE put Dez on that pedestal coming out of that 2010 draft.

I was hoping for a semi decent debate with facts backing up each supporting argument. But I'm getting the usual "Eh I'd rather just ignore facts and keep my mind made up and post something taking indirect jabs at the thread starter" posts.

John Kitna the year he was throwing the ball to Dez was a better passer than Mike Vick was in Atlanta.

Explain to me how Laurent Robinson can come in and have a just as good a season as Dez with the same team in the same system.

Seems like you guys flip flop around to fit your agenda. In one thread, Romo is horrible, "Tony Turnover" etc. Now its "He's got a 100+ passer rating, he's a great passer."
Kinda hard to do Julio Jones when he hasn't played two full seasons :lol:. Stick to just talking about the Texans bruh :lol:
Also, I'm hoping the Cowboy hate isn't so blind to believe that the Cowboys o-line even holds a candle to the Falcons oline.

you said romo was the great passer, i call him a bum.

No you are using statistics as the whole basis for your premise that Dez Bryant is decent.

Statistically Tony Romo is a great quarterback.

John Kitna the year he was throwing the ball to Dez was a better passer than Mike Vick was in Atlanta.
Explain to me how Laurent Robinson can come in and have a just as good a season as Dez with the same team in the same system.

LOLOL aw man. Yeah I'll explain Laurent:

First and foremost it should be well established that Laurent Robinson was in his 5th year as WR when we got the ok from good ole Norval Turner to pick him up from San Diego's practice squad. Laurent had been bounced around the league as things never quite worked out for him...until Romo got him his big contract. Its quite simple: his season with the Cowboys was an anomaly which you can already see what's happening in Jacksonville. There's a lot of things people don't take into account when it comes to the WR position. First and foremost, the primary targets that defenses focus on is Dez, Miles and Witten. Laurent is the 4th target that DC's have to worry about. With that being said, the type of coverage Laurent will get won't be nearly as tough as Dez, Miles, and Witten. Laurent gets to go up against #3 and worse CBs. While everyone is focused on Dez, and Miles and some of Witten Lauarent was allowed to flourish. Ask Laurent how its going in Jackonsville where he isn't always getting single coverage, sometimes cover 2 by the opposing teams top corners.

in 2011 Romo threw just enough TD's to keep everyone happy.

Laurent: 11
Dez: 9
Miles: 7
Witten: 5.

Only a two TD difference amongst the 4.

That's why this whole "Dez is overated" thing is hilarious. Defensive Coordinators and coaches disagree with you. Dez is doubled every game while simultaneously having to deal with the opposing teams #1. You can say Miles is the #1 all you want. Again, Defensive Coordinators disagree with you.

So which is it? Dez has this great passer in Romo or is Romo a bum? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom