Is Dez Bryant really overrated?

-When Romo hits Dez its usually down the field or a comeback. Blocking doesn't always give him the time before he gives it to Witten
or someone like Laurent (last year) or Ogletree. Plus Romo likes Witten.
- Three year receiver rule.

- So its Romos fault? (romo aint dropping all the passes, just saying )

- Its his 3rd year

hes 41st in Yards this season ( 269 )

37th in Receptions ( 21 )

0 TDs

So after this year we can call him a bust and be fine with it?

Yes, its his third year. I expect him to break out. How did you gather that its Romo's fault from what I posted?
Romo can't always get it to him, because of blocking, breaakdowns, etc. Situational, not physical.

So he isn't leading the league in receptions yet he's on the team with Witten (most targets) and Austin (slightly more targets), ok.

Following year you have AJ Green and Julio Jones go high in the first round and produce almost immediately with no off field issues

Is that the new norm now?

Edit: To add to the Laurent Robinson discussion. Look what Ogletree did against the Giants. Can it be Robinson was that good if
Ogletree replaced his production like that?

Last edited:
John Kitna the year he was throwing the ball to Dez was a better passer than Mike Vick was in Atlanta.
Explain to me how Laurent Robinson can come in and have a just as good a season as Dez with the same team in the same system.

LOLOL aw man. Yeah I'll explain Laurent:

First and foremost it should be well established that Laurent Robinson was in his 5th year as WR when we got the ok from good ole Norval Turner to pick him up from San Diego's practice squad. Laurent had been bounced around the league as things never quite worked out for him...until Romo got him his big contract. Its quite simple: his season with the Cowboys was an anomaly which you can already see what's happening in Jacksonville. There's a lot of things people don't take into account when it comes to the WR position. First and foremost, the primary targets that defenses focus on is Dez, Miles and Witten. Laurent is the 4th target that DC's have to worry about. With that being said, the type of coverage Laurent will get won't be nearly as tough as Dez, Miles, and Witten. Laurent gets to go up against #3 and worse CBs. While everyone is focused on Dez, and Miles and some of Witten Lauarent was allowed to flourish. Ask Laurent how its going in Jackonsville where he isn't always getting single coverage, sometimes cover 2 by the opposing teams top corners.

in 2011 Romo threw just enough TD's to keep everyone happy.

Laurent: 11
Dez: 9
Miles: 7
Witten: 5.

Only a two TD difference amongst the 4.

That's why this whole "Dez is overated" thing is hilarious. Defensive Coordinators and coaches disagree with you. Dez is doubled every game while simultaneously having to deal with the opposing teams #1. You can say Miles is the #1 all you want. Again, Defensive Coordinators disagree with you.

So which is it? Dez has this great passer in Romo or is Romo a bum? :lol:

Who is calling Tony Romo a bum?

Dez doesn't run strong routes...that's the only way Romo trusts receivers because he's not the type of QB that will throw to a spot or general area and trust the WR to go get it.

That's not an accurate assesment considering we'd have to assume Julio is "on pace for (insert #s)." Until he plays 31 games, its not an accurate comparison. What if Julio doesn't score another TD all year? What if his total yardage between now and week 17 is only a 200 yard jump? You can accurately compare because Julio could very well tank or blow up within the next 11 games. Hence, the reason why I used players who WE have already deemed as "one of the best" and have played at least 31 games.

Dez has stats equal to or better than T.O., Steve Smith, Roddy White, Greg Jennings and Vincent Jackson. One of those players is a firat ballot HOF barring people's hate for his "cancerous ways." Two of the other WR's are arguably top 5 (Steve Smith quietly has 1000 yard seasons no matter who's throwing the rock).

Great post Iron Man. I can agree with that to a degree. I don't know who was hyping him up as much as you said he was but yes he's a disappointment. For me, its more of a disappointment in the sense that I know he has a high ceiling. But I cannot be upset with the stats he's put up thus far which is comparable to some of our 'current' greats.

The reason he's dubbed "overrated" is because the hype on Dez was way too strong. So he has to live with that, the Cowboys have to live with that, Cowboy fans have to live with that, and dudes that hyped up Dez Bryant as the second coming of Jesus have to live with that.
There is no denying his talent, you think the Cowboys are going to pay for babysitters for a chump. Nope, they know this guy is immensely talented but he is a head case, let's not even get started on his family issues.
So yes, he has been a disappointment, not a bust, but definitely disappointing. He wasn't a high first round pick to begin with due to his "issues", the only WR that got picked ahead was Demaryius Thomas (A reach at the time). Thomas is just living up to that lofty draft slot with Peyton throwing the ball at him. Following year you have AJ Green and Julio Jones go high in the first round and produce almost immediately with no off field issues.
In no way he's a bust, but I would say he's been a disappointment.

i like this. repped :pimp:

romo hate is so strong, and so unfair. yes, he's erratic. but when he's good, he's damn good.

the reason i think dez is overrated is because i feel like with his skill set he should be much more dominant than he is. it sucks because i'm basically saying it's his fault for being as physically gifted he is, but talent doesn't always equal production. and at this point in their careers, julio jones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dez bryant...SO FAR.

The reason he's dubbed "overrated" is because the hype on Dez was way too strong. So he has to live with that, the Cowboys have to live with that, Cowboy fans have to live with that, and dudes that hyped up Dez Bryant as the second coming of Jesus have to live with that.
There is no denying his talent, you think the Cowboys are going to pay for babysitters for a chump. Nope, they know this guy is immensely talented but he is a head case, let's not even get started on his family issues.
So yes, he has been a disappointment, not a bust, but definitely disappointing. He wasn't a high first round pick to begin with due to his "issues", the only WR that got picked ahead was Demaryius Thomas (A reach at the time). Thomas is just living up to that lofty draft slot with Peyton throwing the ball at him. Following year you have AJ Green and Julio Jones go high in the first round and produce almost immediately with no off field issues.
In no way he's a bust, but I would say he's been a disappointment.

i like this. repped :pimp:

In the WIR you said Dez was already a bust, and you agree with this (and pimphat it) when he says "in now way is he a bust".

A couple weeks ago in the WIR. People asked who haved the Texans played and you argued that [oh now people want to use our schedule
against us when in the beginning of the season they predicted us to lose to 6- 7 teams]. I disagreed and asked to show me and you never replied.

You never back your stuff up or have anything insightful to say. Have you noticed that?

In the WIR you said Dez was already a bust, and you agree with this (and pimphat it) when he says "in now way is he a bust".
A couple weeks ago in the WIR. People asked who haved the Texans played and you argued that [oh now people want to use our schedule
against us when in the beginning of the season they predicted us to lose to 6- 7 teams]. I disagreed and asked to show me and you never replied.
You never back your stuff up or have anything insightful to say. Have you noticed that?

i always back up what i post and when im wrong i admit it, or if we cant agree ill admit or give credit where its due.

what do you want me to Clarify ? i Honestly believe Dez is a bust, he will never amount in this league to what was thought of him coming out of college.

The post i quoted and repped because i think it further adds to him being a Bust, he was touted as this tremendous talent that IMO will never live up to it.

Had he gone to a different team, not given the #88 and cowboys fans didn't declare him the second coming of jesus, we prob wouldn't be having this discussion.

Anything else?

i always back up what i post and when im wrong i admit it, or if we cant agree ill admit or give credit where its due.

So where were all the analysts and people claiming the Texans would go 10-6 or 9-7? I've yet to see it, and as far as i know that's not backing it up.
But, I feel like you're gonna Mitt Romney me and continue to say you always back your stuff up.

Edit- Just read your post again, all types of contradictions. Don't worry about it man. Not worth it.

Last edited:
I don't understand how a real Cowboy fan that knows everything that goes into wearing 88 can defend Dez Bryant not being a bust.

I'm a realistic Cowboys fan that hates most other Cowboys fans, and even I want to side with most of them here. Not that it's universally defined or anything, but you guys are using the term "bust" a little too freely.

He drops a few balls and plays like he has the mental capacity of an infant sometimes, but he has 17 scores in 31 career games, he's a walking mismatch and 23 years old. He doesn't have a touchdown yet this season, but he's on pace for 80 catches and 1,100 yards, all while being a complete non-factor in one of four games.

Has he lived up to his lofty billing yet? No. Is he still one of the better receivers out there, and very useful to an offense? Sure. I don't think he will ever be as good as he can be because of his lack of football intelligence, but I sure don't mind having him on my team. If this is as good as he ever gets, it's still pretty damn good.

USC Mike Williams was/is a bust at receiver. He was a complete non-factor for three years, out of the league for two, and his best season (six years into his career) isn't any better than Bryant's second-best season (of two full seasons).

Last edited:

So where were all the analysts and people claiming the Texans would go 10-6 or 9-7? I've yet to see it, and as far as i know that's not backing it up.
But, I feel like you're gonna Mitt Romney me and continue to say you always back your stuff up.

That's not being talked about right now cause the Texans are 5-0 and a lot of the teams that were/are supposed to give them problems are having flaws exposed that people assume the Texans can capitalize on. I mentioned this in another thread before, but right after the schedules came out (when the teams were announced but not the exact dates they played), fans and analysts alike recognized the Texans were a breakthrough but gave plenty of reasons why they could regress. Titans finishing 9-7 and supposedly sneaking up on the Texans, playing a Peyton-lead Broncos in Denver who were immediately pegged as Super Bowl contenders themselves with Peyton's addition, a Packers team coming off a 15-1 season, playing the "mighty" Pats in Foxboro, and the Ravens just being the Ravens. And with the amount of hype that went into Luck, there were even rumblings of the Colts stealing games from them near the end of the season.

People were shaky on them versus the Lions just cause it's in Detriot on Thanksgiving Day, a game the Texans haven't played. Things like "they haven't been there yet" and "inexperience" were throw around a lot, comparing them to the Thunder throughout last years playoffs. The Bears are looking big time on the schedule now, but right after the playoffs, there was no Brandon Marshall trade nor a highly opportunistic defense that you see right now. So when you combine all that, yes, you did have people predicting a 9-7 or 10-6 season. It's only cause of where the Texans record is now and how other teams are looking as to why they aren't thinking that. Hell, the Bills were supposed to have a ferocious defense with Mario, Mark Anderson, and Marcell Dareus together. But is it looking like that now?

To answer your question though OP, I think Dez is only overrated cause he's not producing what he should be in relation to his hype. He's been a disappoint cause of various factors. Purely on talent though, I think he's better than Julio, but neither are as good as AJ Green. I feel like Green is not only the better athlete, but has the better mind and attitude. I haven't seen him run the wrong routes or make lackadaisical effort on plays, but I've seen that from both Julio and Dez, but Dez much more than Julio.

Last edited:
Dez > Austin
no no nooo my man... miles is much more consistent...dez CAN be better than miles, but the whole 'potential' conversation is a slippery slope and i dare not go there...
Dez doesn't run strong routes...that's the only way Romo trusts receivers because he's not the type of QB that will throw to a spot or general area and trust the WR to go get it.
BINGO!

matt ryan sees single coverage, he throws it up for grabs...eli sees double coverage, he throws it up to give his recievers a chance..stafford sees triple coverage, still chucks it up...contrary to his recent INTs, Romo doesnt throw alot of 50/50 balls...balls where he just gives his receiver a chance...

he's methodical, if your covered, hes gonna keep progressing thru his options, periouette to get more time, improvise etc...i rarely see romo just throw one up for grabs and let the receiver go get it like you see the rest of the league do...and when he does throw those balls, theyre going mr.austins way...

dez is gonna be a monster one day..no if ands and buts in my mind..whether he's still a cowboy when he starts his 'beasting',ehhh...idk about all that...

That's not being talked about right now cause the Texans are 5-0 and a lot of the teams that were/are supposed to give them problems are having flaws exposed that people assume the Texans can capitalize on. I mentioned this in another thread before, but right after the schedules came out (when the teams were announced but not the exact dates they played), fans and analysts alike recognized the Texans were a breakthrough but gave plenty of reasons why they could regress. Titans finishing 9-7 and supposedly sneaking up on the Texans, playing a Peyton-lead Broncos in Denver who were immediately pegged as Super Bowl contenders themselves with Peyton's addition, a Packers team coming off a 15-1 season, playing the "mighty" Pats in Foxboro, and the Ravens just being the Ravens. And with the amount of hype that went into Luck, there were even rumblings of the Colts stealing games from them near the end of the season.

People were shaky on them versus the Lions just cause it's in Detriot on Thanksgiving Day, a game the Texans haven't played. Things like "they haven't been there yet" and "inexperience" were throw around a lot, comparing them to the Thunder throughout last years playoffs. The Bears are looking big time on the schedule now, but right after the playoffs, there was no Brandon Marshall trade nor a highly opportunistic defense that you see right now. So when you combine all that, yes, you did have people predicting a 9-7 or 10-6 season. It's only cause of where the Texans record is now and how other teams are looking as to why they aren't thinking that. Hell, the Bills were supposed to have a ferocious defense with Mario, Mark Anderson, and Marcell Dareus together. But is it looking like that now?

To answer your question though OP, I think Dez is only overrated cause he's not producing what he should be in relation to his hype. He's been a disappoint cause of various factors. Purely on talent though, I think he's better than Julio, but neither are as good as AJ Green. I feel like Green is not only the better athlete, but has the better mind and attitude. I haven't seen him run the wrong routes or make lackadaisical effort on plays, but I've seen that from both Julio and Dez, but Dez much more than Julio

Nobody was saying all that (definitely not the consensus), just stop.

To answer your question though OP, I think Dez is only overrated cause he's not producing what he should be in relation to his hype. He's been a disappoint cause of various factors. Purely on talent though, I think he's better than Julio, but neither are as good as AJ Green. I feel like Green is not only the better athlete, but has the better mind and attitude. I haven't seen him run the wrong routes or make lackadaisical effort on plays, but I've seen that from both Julio and Dez, but Dez much more than Julio.

I still think the Texans can go 10-6.

no no nooo my man... miles is much more consistent...dez CAN be better than miles, but the whole 'potential' conversation is a slippery slope and i dare not go there...

Bryant is more talented, athletic, stronger, physical, and has better hands than Austin. Romo doesnt take nearly enough shots to Dez, hes just doesnt trust him. Theres a reason defenses always put their best CBs on Dez for majority of games.

Last edited:
A lot of Dez talk with nothing accomplished. Why even worry about the terms used to describe. Bust, underrated, overrated, doesn't matter. They are just descriptions that mean vey little. I can't keep up with who is elite, not elite, best, worst, etc it changes every week. I do know who performs and I like to have on my team. If you think Dez is effective for the Boys, that should be enough. Why worry about the terms that describe him?

I see the discussion has picked up quite a bit even though people are pretty much spewing the same things about "he's all hype coming out of college." I really would like to know where was he hyped? Because I don't recall him getting Randy Moss-type hype. A lot of people on this forum are prisoners of the moment. I remember at one point a couple years back, someone made a topic "T.O. can play until he's 42" and this was based on him burning the Eagles secondary for a TD. I guarantee you that same person wouldn't make that claim now.

I will definitely say Julio Jones is the better WR at the moment. However, lets not forget that Dez is on a team who's offense is tied for worst next to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Dez has bad hands? He had 3 drops in one game this year. He had 3 drops the entire year last season. If anyone is known for the dropsies its Miles. But once again, NT are prisoners of the moment. Dez dropping 3 balls in last weeks game means he has bad hands. Victor Cruz dropped 3 balls in week 1. Guess he has bad hands too.

Back
Top Bottom