Is Getting A Shapeup an "Unproffesional" Look?

Huh? Are you black?
I've never heard of getting a 5 o'clock shadow after an edge up.

No, that's why it looks foolish on people with light skin. A day after a line up=that greyish outline you get if you haven't shaved

This is my skin tone, and that's what it looked like a day after I got lined up (not the hairline being pushed 2 inches back though :lol:)

Last edited:
Wait a minute. I thought we were strictly talking about black people here.
That changes everything. If you aren't black or don't have coarse hair, you don't really need edge ups do you?

"Unprofessional" may not be the best term. I think "too ethnic" is closer to the point.

....okay, stop letting white people tell YOU whats too ethnic.

wear a neat, clean, and kept up style and let your work speak for you. F them.

white people never have cared enough about us to understand our culture. its time we stop trying to please them.

black women also suffer from this problem with natural hair. 'white folks' view black women with natural hair a threatening hair style.

i say again F them

i can cosign this. black women ill admit im a bit particular about tho. too many do way too much to their hair. treat it with this, wild chemicals, perms, mobil 1 grease. :smh: nah man that too much. keep it simple. straighten your hair, or keep it curly. that is all. not done for anything else, including black dynamite fros and girls with Caesars.

I think its more an issue with females because if they do something wrong with their hair, they're stuck with it. I got my hairline zeked once and I went to the next barber the same day and was good as new.

I think a temp fade would get a pass, anything else would be a little too extreme imo.

OD sharp lines and other hair styles kinda falls into the same category as wearing earrings. It's accepted but doesn't say "I'm a mature well rounded professional". Lineups and earrings say "I'm young with swag. I pay 200+ on sneakers, I don't drive hyundais, kias or any other car that's considered economical because it's a tell tale sign that I dont make much. I listen to music that would embarrass the company if played in the foyer in front of clients. My prime objective with the company is to snatch up the cute girl in accounting and buy a pair of ID Lebrons to post on NT.

Huh? First off, what do ANY of these things have to do with job performance or how professional a person is at work? So by your assessment, listening to or liking hip hop music is an indication that someone is "young and full of swag and their sole reason for employment is to bag cute chicks?" Your points hold no merit and are extremely judgmental. :rolleyes

Me personally would never get a haircut without an edge up, line up, shapeup, crispy line or whatever the **** ya'll cats calling it these days. Matter fact, I ain't even know an edgeup was an OPTION. Maybe I'm trippin but I thought an edgeup comes standard with a haircut. Down here, you'd have to tell a barber NOT to line your edges up. "Lemme get a taper but leave my **** rough around the edges fam. I need that corporate look this time." :smh:

To me having a nice haircut that is neat and sharp just says that the person is well groomed and cares about their appearance. It has nothing to do with "too hood" or "too black". This sounds like some house N ****.

Black men can't have neat haircuts because it's "too much" in a cooperate setting? People can't own nice rides without some hidden agenda? Listening to and liking rap or metal or whatever else is a sign of unprofessionalism and immaturity? Bro you judgmental as hell straight up. :smh:

This is part of the reason why I own my own business and will encourage my kids to use their talents and passions to do the same. I refuse to conform to who someone else wants or expects me to be. I can only be ME.

Preciate it.

And just for clarification are we talking about this...

Or we talking about THIS BS? This Bigen, fake, spraypainted, Steve Harvey **** ain't what that is and if we talking about this then disregard my previous post. :x

- Preciate it.

^ I know people who look like the 2nd picture but none of their hair is sprayed on, they're just really lightskin black people. Does that make them unprofessional too? :lol:

There's some straight clowns in this post man. I swear some of y'all would sell your soul for the corporate (white) man's opinion and a desk job. **** is sad.

Edit: I wasn't talking about you "ulareadyknow" I saw your previous post before that, I was talking about other people in here.

Last edited:
^ I know people who look like the 2nd picture but none of their hair is sprayed on, they're just really lightskin black people. Does that make them unprofessional too? :lol:

There's some straight clowns in this post man. I swear some of y'all would sell your soul for the corporate (white) man's opinion and a desk job. **** is sad.

Edit: I wasn't talking about you "ulareadyknow" I saw your previous post before that, I was talking about other people in here.

Oh fa sho its all good fam. That's crazy though that you know some cats with THAT crispy of a line without using Bigen. To me that look just looks fake. Not necessarily unprofessional at all but it just screams "TRYING WAY TOO HARD". This is like white people who get overly dark tans. Doing the most. :lol:

- Preciate it.

Oh fa sho its all good fam. That's crazy though that you know some cats with THAT crispy of a line without using Bigen. To me that look just looks fake. Not necessarily unprofessional at all but it just screams "TRYING WAY TOO HARD". This is like white people who get overly dark tans. Doing the most. :lol:

- Preciate it.

:lol: yeah its kinda hard to believe until you actually see em get a cut.

I just can't believe dudes in here are talking about you can't listen to what music you want or drive a certain car. If your work product is on point and you're respectful what you do in your personal life should be just that...personal. What's next? I can't tell people I'm a basketball fan because it's too "urban" of a sport? :lol:

Stopped getting a line up 2 months ago. I feel like it drew too much attention to me now that I work with a bunch of older people (new corporate job) and I'm one of the few young people there (no young yambs anyways). I have my barber "trim" my hairline but tell em not to make it crisp like that anymore. Overall it still looks clean but just not "perfect".

Last edited:
So we're saying that the first picture I posted minus ole boy's earring is "too ethnic" and not acceptable in a corporate environment?

I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that a rough around the edges look is somehow "less intimidating" or "less ethnic" and more corporately acceptable than a nice, neat, sharply lined up Even Steven, taper fade, or low fade type haircut. And the fact that my NATURALLY wavy hair is somehow over the top and frowned upon just completely blows my mind. :wow:

I think I need to run to Sally's to get a relaxer kit to straighten my hair so I'll appear "less ethnic." :rolleyes

Buncha sellout *** ****** I swear.

- Preciate it.

It's not that getting a shapeup is "unprofessional," but there is something to be said about keeping your hairline natural.
What's to be said about it fam??? Am I somehow less of a man because I like my hairline nice and neat? Please, help me understand this logic.

- Preciate it.

what i want to know is how many of you have actually been told to change your hair or have been told that its too whatever..??

should've known this was a DC thread..

A hairline /race thread on nt will always:

Cats are in here reading too deep into it. I understand what op is talking about, however i know most people won't see where he's coming from.
I'm done trying to explain it. Some understand some don't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom