Is it just me or

Originally Posted by southwestern

i think i know what part of the problem is.

people that grew up in the 90's buying jordans never got out of that stage. i mean, when jordans first came out there werent many 30+ year old people purchasing them. now youve got teenagers and 20 year old that are wanting to get certain models for the first times AND youve got the people that bought the original versions lining up to buy the retros. thats double the number (at least) of people wanting to all get the same shoes. so of course theres going to be long lines and what seems to be a shortage of supply.

i think if some of the older heads let the jordan go of the jordan hype then there would be enough shoes for everyone else.

of course resellers and shady employees are a factor to, but im always surpised to see how many people are complaing about the younger people that want the same shoes that THEY wanted when they were younger.

as far as the "but i remember when jordan was playing" argument, i think its pretty lame because we all know that the shoes dont actually make you play basketball like jordan.

so maybe its time for some of the older people to grow out of the hype and let the younger generation have there moment to shine.

-gets ready for the flames-
Stupid post is stupid. 

We are the problem! The shoe game was once underground on a "need to know basis". Now as soon as a shoe is announced we are telling the world how much we cant wait to buy multi pairs and they did'nt hear us till the concord chaos. We bring attention to ourselves by plugging shoes. We are the FREE nike commercial for your favorite retro. Solution ? take a break until this fad of "resellers" and ban wagon/ not real sneaker heads dissappear. I also think shoe forums can help reduce hype by deleting post about people posting that they like or dont like shoes or how many they copping.  Comments like those are not needed and tell you nothing about shoe which is why we come here for facts not fiction.

i agree the concord release was the first time i ever saw like 60 people sleep against a door to a shoe store, also a FNL store claim they were sold out without ever opening but once the security manager of the mall got involved and seen the shoes in the stock room the manager agreed to sell 3 out of 16 pairs! LOL this release day was the first time i had seen how grimey and far people would go to snag these shoes! i am to the point where im seriously thinking about cashing out... smh

Originally Posted by southwestern

i think i know what part of the problem is.

people that grew up in the 90's buying jordans never got out of that stage. i mean, when jordans first came out there werent many 30+ year old people purchasing them. now youve got teenagers and 20 year old that are wanting to get certain models for the first times AND youve got the people that bought the original versions lining up to buy the retros. thats double the number (at least) of people wanting to all get the same shoes. so of course theres going to be long lines and what seems to be a shortage of supply.

i think if some of the older heads let the jordan go of the jordan hype then there would be enough shoes for everyone else.

of course resellers and shady employees are a factor to, but im always surpised to see how many people are complaing about the younger people that want the same shoes that THEY wanted when they were younger.

as far as the "but i remember when jordan was playing" argument, i think its pretty lame because we all know that the shoes dont actually make you play basketball like jordan.

so maybe its time for some of the older people to grow out of the hype and let the younger generation have there moment to shine.

-gets ready for the flames-
roll.gif

There is a thin line between buying shoes because you love them or buying them because everybody wants them..
grin.gif

You guys made me really think about all these releases, I've never been to a camp out, im kinda just startin out in the sneaker game. I thought this was what releases were always like, overhyped and ridiculous. For my first camp out im gonna buy 1 pair for me, leave others for the other sneakerheads.

Most of you must be new and don't remember when SB Dunks were the business. People camped all the time. It's nothing new. Even in 2003, if you lived in a major area good releases sold out teh first day, often at release time.

Originally Posted by MartyMcFresh

You not the only one... I feel the same way... The only thing I been able to cop was chi Xs cause dudes were broke right after concords... Now its like if you not camping for days or got a connect, you can forget about it... I too copped blk cement IIIs with ease... I worked all day black Friday. Just so happen to walk into a Footlocker and the display was my size and last pair lol... It's more of a hassle than fun anymore, can't believe ppl are wasting days of their lives for shoes. Hours is ok, but days and weeks is just outrageous...
co-sign

In Pittsburgh its really not that bad, but it has gotten a little tougher since the concords.
If I can't grab the releases a few days early (local hood spots always sell em early), then
I just head to the mall about an hour and a half before release... head inside and if there's
a line I line up and if not I head back to the car to chill and smoke for a few more minutes,
then head back in.

Make sure to call ahead to find out if the spot you usually go to will in fact be getting them
(Ive been surprised a few times, especially with those red foams and almost missed out.)
and to find out what time they open. Finish line here opened at 9am for the cements
instead of 10am and if I didnt call ahead I'm sure my size would have been gone.

I'm no expert by any means.. but do your homework, call ahead and get there a bit early..

A lot of it depends on your city. Certain areas are tougher to cop the shoes you want than others. For the most part though, the sneaker game is just on a totally different level nowadays because now people are just trying to make money off em. It's probably only going to get worse.

No joke . . I had a dream last night that I was buying a pair of Foams and as I was checking out, I had to pass a Sneaker Quiz in order to cop. How incredible would that be?

But on Topic: I had trouble grabbing the Chi Xs and WC IVs recently. . And seeing some of the kids in line . . this fools were wearing run-dwon Asics and New Balances.. Where are these kids coming from?

When these kids are preparing their resumes for college or internship, they're gonna put "sneaker re-seller" as a previous occupation.

I think it all started around CDP time. The 9/14 and 10/13 were easy but then the 6/17 came. Everyone wanted the carmines. There was the normal group of people we would wait in our cars about 30 minutes before the store open then go line up and buy em. We did that and the manager said they didnt get their shippment. Obviously BS the employees took them all. So now its a scramble and were running all around town looking for them. I go to a mall about 40 minutes away and find them all sold out except a whole size above mine. I bought them because i knew if i wanted my size resell prices would be like $450. I was able to trade them and get my size. But now the whole Spacejam, Concord, Foams, and Galaxys are ruining everything. Its not even fun anymore and its not worth the hassel.

Originally Posted by 1thru23

No joke . . I had a dream last night that I was buying a pair of Foams and as I was checking out, I had to pass a Sneaker Quiz in order to cop. How incredible would that be?

But on Topic: I had trouble grabbing the Chi Xs and WC IVs recently. . And seeing some of the kids in line . . this fools were wearing run-dwon Asics and New Balances.. Where are these kids coming from?

I hate that when there are like 70 year olds with some strap on payless shoes. My friends and I dating all the way back to high school when we were getting all the OGs would be late to shcool and we would go and get them. Back in the day everyone who was there got their size. Nobody was left disappointed. We would always wear past releases and be as fresh as we could. It started good convo with people we didnt know and its our culture. Thats when it was fun. Its not even fun anymore with all these nerds and campers.

Originally Posted by Ace3han

I'm blaming eBay. A lot of these people just get the shoe and it's listed on eBay immediately. Some don't even wait until they have the shoe. Posting order confirmations on eBay. Easy fix to this problem: Stop buying the shoes off ebay. If these people get stuck with the shoes after all the hype dies then they will drop their prices. That's just my opinion. Better still don't buy them at all. In a year or two these shoes will be very affordable or stuck on some consignment store gathering dust because of it's sky high price.

I kinda agree, but we all know that once people miss out on a release they know Ebay/craigslist is the answer. Most poeple don't want to wait so ebay is there.

I don't think there is anyway to solve this problem. More people are buying these shoes now and they don't seem to be producing more so we will always have this problem.

Its the internet blog/hype's fault.

Sites like Hypebeast and +!!+@@!#!$$+!, kicksonfire and nicekicks, etc etc. They're making !#%$ overhyped and taking it overboard.

I was just talking to my dude the other day about this. He and I are avid shoe collectors but when the blue 10s are sold out on release day, then you know its a different breed...waaaaayyyyy to hard to cop GRs now! The VI/XI DMP was an easier cop than my concords and cement iv. The hypebeast are killing the shoe game...I know I'm getting older and shoes are becoming less of a priority but i still like to grap the ones that i missed out on as a kid, and its more trouble than anything! SMH.....

I think the internet definitely changed things. For better or worse, who's to say exactly. I like the fact that I can read about kicks before they release and buy from my computer, but that also means millions of other people are doing the same thing (well not millions but you get what I mean). Catch 22

on black friday for the 3's i came in at 12.30 and me and my brother were able to grab our size. for the concords we lined up 3 hours early and walked away with nothing, same for the 4's.

Originally Posted by RhInoSpOrt

I miss Eastbay's "backorder" system. I never missed a release. Nike and/or Eastbay needs to re-evaluate this new world order of hyped releases. Go back to a simpler way. Pre-order!!

Thank GOD that's the way it works out here in Canada now a days. As long as you're up on your game, you won't have to miss out on releases here. FTL takes pre orders for any shoes that they're getting in. 
They might be an extra 20-40$ compared to US retail (KD4's are 120, Lebrons are 210, Cement 4's are 190), but I don't have to worry about the hassle of lining up. Show up after release date, pick up, shoot the **$+ and peace out. 

Yeah I feel excatly the same. missed out on the jordan iv and I went to the mall at 10 am. I'm pretty much done all I really need are xi breds then only buy what I want and like. Sneaker game is out of hand. The days of reading eastbay and waiting for release dates is long gone. Internet had to screw us over

I think this stuff will go on for a very long time. i have a life so im not camping, maybe a couple hours
but thats it.

You know its crazy when ugly general releases sell out on the first day and when people get beat down for some spizikes

Back
Top Bottom