Is it worth getting a university degree anymore?

repbypop89

Banned
Seeing as most people with degrees can't even get a job, so you just end up with debt with no money to pay it back. Is it actually worth going?

This is a question that is hard to answer with a simple yes or no. The important thing to remember is that you should not go to school for a job, you should go to school to learn. Whether or not the thing(s) you learn about will lead to gainful employment is another question entirely. However, learning in college is not the determining factor in getting a job and beginning a career; your network is. It is (and has always been) not what you know, but who you know. The time you spend volunteering, networking, and participating in groups/clubs is the second most important thing you can do in college other than studying.

If you just want a job, college might not be necessary. Trade schools are a great option, and blue collar work is and always will be in demand. Welding, plumbing, eletricial work, etc have high demands and frequently start at a higher wage than most entry level jobs that require a degree. If I had the chance to go back, I'd probably go to a trade school start at 50K with no debt.

What you need to do is decide on how you want to spend the next few decades of your life. From there, determine the best path forward.

Last edited:
Yes. If you do it right.

Pick a major that gives you good opportunities, get good grades, apply for scholarships, do internships, network and take advantage of the resources available to you.

Do college right and it can let you up for life. Do it wrong, and you can dig yourself in a big hole.

And I would recommend every person unsure about college try out CC first.

Sprichst Du Deutsch?

Germany Now Has Free Tuition for Everyone, Even International Students

Germany has never been known for having high tuition costs, but last week it officially voted to make college education free for everyone. According to German senator Dorothee Stapelfeldt, the decision was made because they felt paying anything for tuition was “unjust” and discouraged students with difficult economic circumstances from receiving a high level of education.

Though tuition was already incredibly low by American standards – sitting at about $600 for a year – this decision completely does away with it: even for international students.

This move isn’t unprecedented for Germany. Higher education was free in the past, but in 2006 institutions across the country began charging.

Public outcry caused most schools to phase out their tuition policies rapidly. Last week, Lower Saxony was the final state to formally end all of theirs, driving the proverbial nail into the coffin for tuition fees.

American students, who typically graduate university with about $29,000 of student debt, could now be eyeing Germany as a place to continue their studies. Of course, they’ll have to learn German. Universities have accounted for this, however, with many German language classes on offer. Other schools offer some classes taught in English under headings such as “International Studies.”

At the very least, it is good to know a place with free tuition exists, and that going to school there might entail lots of schnitzel and bratwurst, which wouldn’t be a bad thing either.

http://www.ryot.org/tuition-free-in-germany/837821​ ... flourish while you can before the whole system collapses

I think the real question is.....is it worth getting a BA anymore? A dregree at a university is always good on your resume but there are just so many factors to getting a job that a degree is only good in getting you a job interview now a days. But what a degree at a university will do over a state (and even masters over a BA) will just bump your resume up to the top of the pack. The rest in the interview is personality, work experience, what you know, etc. Over course this is all subject to the job you are trying to apply but don't under estimate just networking and being a good person too. I know a lot of people that don't even have college degrees that got corporate jobs just cause the boss that hired them liked them as a person (yes the blonde girl with big boobs can and will get hired cause she looks good even though she is dumb). Anyways....it's a cruel game to play but that is just how it is sometimes.

Me personally , I have a degree in International Business and am in about $60,000 worth of debt. Was it worth it? I would say yes. I'm currently at a decent paying job that I wouldn't have gotten without that degree. So it depends on what your intentions are.

Degree matters not the school. Keep your GPA up, see people who go to big name schools and do horribly and the name gets them no where. Seen dudes go to HBCUs with a high GPA get further. You just need to know the material and show the company you know what you're doing.

im a college drop out

its not for everyone, i dont think a degree is a waste..........mindset is everything

i dont carry debt an the struggle ive had and the ppl of NT have pushed me. i love this place

i do things here and there, hell im tryna break into the solar energy market with my buddy an his father.......i do other things with my mom, i do some other stuff on the side an i have a job with benefits

network

intelligence with no ambition is a bird without wings b

i do have some psychopath traits but im not a bad person

Last edited:
This is a question that is hard to answer with a simple yes or no. The important thing to remember is that you should not go to school for a job, you should go to school to learn. Whether or not the thing(s) you learn about will lead to gainful employment is another question entirely. However, learning in college is not the determining factor in getting a job and beginning a career; your network is. It is (and has always been) not what you know, but who you know. The time you spend volunteering, networking, and participating in groups/clubs is the second most important thing you can do in college other than studying.

If you just want a job, college might not be necessary. Trade schools are a great option, and blue collar work is and always will be in demand. Welding, plumbing, eletricial work, etc have high demands and frequently start at a higher wage than most entry level jobs that require a degree. If I had the chance to go back, I'd probably go to a trade school start at 50K with no debt.

What you need to do is decide on how you want to spend the next few decades of your life. From there, determine the best path forward.

i know some young guys who have gone that trade route an even they are having a hard time

network is key these days

i guess they need to be under an apprentice etc for a while its really tough

And the university..

everyone who i know personally who have gone to top schools HAD jobs ready before they even left

Columbia, BU, Yale

university def makes a diff also, is what it is

Last edited:
you have to do things/meet people in college that will get you a job

its not just about going to classes and passing exams 

you have to do things/meet people in college that will get you a job

its not just about going to classes and passing exams 

thats true

but you can talk to ppl in real life, social media, summits also

Get a degree in a STEM field, get good marks, intern during school, and always network; then, Yes it is worth getting a bachelors degree.  But most importantly you have to have some sort of passion for what you are learning/doing.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you're going after. Unless you have it really planned out, I'd avoid the arts, and stick with science, computing, engineering, medical, or law.

IMO the only degrees that are worth pursing are STEM and a few business degrees (accounting,finance,etc), besides that I think degrees are a waste of money. Some people graduate with some bs degree (philosophy, history, english, etc) and graduate making 25K-30K starting out, that is a waste of time in my mind. Most of these jobs will eventually be replaced by computers if you are going to school get a degree that will land you in a field that is in demand and will not be replaced in the next 10-15 years.

Also, it is key to not come out with an outrageous amount of debt.

Last edited:
Nah b robots taking over come 2030
No reason to learn anymore
Just let it happen

IMO the only degrees that are worth pursing are STEM and a few business degrees (accounting,finance,etc), besides that I think degrees are a waste of money. Some people graduate with some bs degree (philosophy, history, english, etc) and graduate making 25K-30K starting out, that is a waste of time in my mind. Most of these jobs will eventually be replaced by computers if you are going to school get a degree that will land you in a field that is in demand and will not be replaced in the next 10-15 years.

Also, it is key to not come out with an outrageous amount of debt.

I think it is cool for people to get some of those other degrees you mentioned, as long as they plan on going to Grad School.

I know a bunch of lawyers with philosophy degrees, and a couple MBAs with history degrees.

One of the more popular "get the most outta college" hustles is to major in one of the less rigorous subjects, get insanely good grades, and parlay that into a cheap/free graduate degree.

Last edited:
Reasons why a degree is worth it...

#1.  You will be making some sort of progress with your life. Not saying that it's true for everyone, but if I go back to see what my HS graduating class is doing.. most of em aint doing $#!% and dont have anything to show for it. Half of em live at home. Most are not what i would call "gainfully employed". And 90% who didn't go to college have a very limited world view on anything. It's like talking to people who have lived in a box. You will come out of college with a lot more general knowledge about how people and the world works.

#2. As long as your degree isn't in basket weaving, you are going to afford a decent living.

A bottom tier degree (i hate to call it that but it is what it is) like communications, english, journalism, or bachelors in fields that pretty much force you to go to grad school is still going to almost guarantee you $35-45k a year coming out. (if you network and intern)

Middle tier such as Business, Marketing, Accounting, Administration, etc is getting you $50-65k

And then the STEM degrees are good for 70k+

As long as you dont take on a mountain of debt trying to get your bachelors I'd say its professionally worth it

#3. It's socially worth it. I'm speaking for 18-24 year olds specifically. College is a blast. Get in some clubs or greek life, make friends, meet yambz flourish!

If I had to choose again, I'd go to school every time. It's easier to meet people and make friends and busts up the monotony of work, sleep, play, repeat.

That said... STAY FOCUSED.

I'm doing my 5th year (mostly because I changed majors mid way through and had to take a semester off because of Financial aid complications)

but it will get old when you feel like you've put in enough time. Finish in reasonable time.

Reasons not to go

Debt sucks. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom