Is the majority of American Twitter users black?

black people on nt are way too sensitive..

there is nothing wrong with the question op asked..

pew_ethnicity_social_networks.png

http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/pew-social-network-age-ethnicity-gender_b11681

WOW. Now those stats blew me away. It's actually hard to believe. Interesting, though.
nerd.gif

Makes me kind of think, maybe it's because of my location? I live in Philly. Plus the huge presence of Twitter in the "urban/hip-hop" community -- it really made me believe that black people were at LEAST second place to white people, only because of the sheer majority of them in the country.

I use to mess with a Filipino chick.. man never again.

and all my asian friends have twitter, also foursquare.
I have like 4 or 5 black friends who have twitter.
the rest are white.

I don't use twitter and I'm white. Only one of my friends uses twitter and he's hispanic.

Originally Posted by Demps

C'mon son, one black guy got sensitive in here. Stop generalizing.

Originally Posted by So Slickening

Originally Posted by Stixx

*peeps thread title*
nerd.gif

Take up remedial English bruh

I'm out...
What's wrong with it? The subject of the sentence is "majority" which is singular, so the verb would be "is". "American Twitter users" is the object and the participle isn't dependent on that. "Black" is describing the "majority".

I'm not a grammar Nazi, but I laughed like hell at you trying to explain that. Read your title, and then read "Are the majority of American Twitter users black?" As in "Are they black?" Which one
sounds better man? It was a pretty stupid question anyway, but with you trying to correct Stixx and being WRONG, I just had to bring that up.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

better not tell him to do that or he'll call you sensitive

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

ruh oh

nerd.gif
Exactly my point -- this image wouldn't have been made if someone didn't think something similar, right?
hella handsome wrote:
And to answer OP's question, no the majority aren't black... You just follow all black people. Diversify your timeline.
Trust me, I would love to diversify my timeline. I tell my Asian and white friends to hop on Twitter 'cause it can be popping sometimes. But the thing is, I can't diversify because for some reason only the majority of my black friends use it, not the case with any other race.

And I don't follow random people.

Then that just means you know a lot of black people my du. Nothing wrong with it, if you want to meet more white people on twitter, asians, hispanics, etc, you gotta get out in the real world and meet some that use the platform. I mean, you could add all the NTers, but there are a TON of black NTers (adding more to the "issue"
laugh.gif
)

Also, OP where are you from? That could be a factor. If you live in a predominantly black/urban area, I wouldn't find it surprising why you know so many black people and follow so many.

I'm from the DMV so my timeline is pretty diverse, but even still, I have more black followers than anything else.

Originally Posted by oidreez

better not tell him to do that or he'll call you sensitive
tired.gif
Damn, you right.

thank you

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by Stixx

*peeps thread title*
nerd.gif

Take up remedial English bruh

I'm out...
What's wrong with it? The subject of the sentence is "majority" which is singular, so the verb would be "is". "American Twitter users" is the object and the participle isn't dependent on that. "Black" is describing the "majority".

I'm not a grammar Nazi, but I laughed like hell at you trying to explain that. Read your title, and then read "Are the majority of American Twitter users black?" As in "Are they black?" Which one
sounds better man? It was a pretty stupid question anyway, but with you trying to correct Stixx and being WRONG, I just had to bring that up.
What sounds better doesn't always mean it's grammatically correct
indifferent.gif

I'm not asking if they are black. I'm asking if the majority is black. Like I said, "American Twitter users" is the object, meaning it's disposable. So, "Is the majority black?" is gramatically correct. Same thing as before -- the subject is, "majority," which is singular. To prove my point, flip my title around and make it a declarative sentence:

"The majority of American Twitter users is black."

Red = Subject
Green = Verb
Blue = Object

Simplified (the object isn't necessary):

"The majority is black."

------

What the %+%+, I can't believe I just did that in this thread.
laugh.gif
I'm not giving any more English lessons. I'm right, period.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

ruh oh

nerd.gif
Exactly my point -- this image wouldn't have been made if someone didn't think something similar, right?
hella handsome wrote:
And to answer OP's question, no the majority aren't black... You just follow all black people. Diversify your timeline.
Trust me, I would love to diversify my timeline. I tell my Asian and white friends to hop on Twitter 'cause it can be popping sometimes. But the thing is, I can't diversify because for some reason only the majority of my black friends use it, not the case with any other race.

And I don't follow random people.
Then that just means you know a lot of black people my du. Nothing wrong with it, if you want to meet more white people on twitter, asians, hispanics, etc, you gotta get out in the real world and meet some that use the platform. I mean, you could add all the NTers, but there are a TON of black NTers (adding more to the "issue"
laugh.gif
)

Also, OP where are you from? That could be a factor. If you live in a predominantly black/urban area, I wouldn't find it surprising why you know so many black people and follow so many.

I'm from the DMV so my timeline is pretty diverse, but even still, I have more black followers than anything else.

I'm from Philly. So yeah, pretty diverse, but I have more black followers than anything else, too. Glad it isn't only me
laugh.gif

For the record, though, I wouldn't say it's an "issue," just an observation. I don't have a problem with it.

Besides celebrities, under my own cultural experiences mostly everyone around me who has twitter is either black/hispanic. I honestly cannot name you any white person I know that uses one and I know many.

Until this day I don't think I can see myself keeping up with Twitter. 1. I have no idea what's the purpose of it, and 2. I have no idea how it all works.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

are all Asian people Chinese?
seriously, out of all the %*!+ in the world going on you want to talk about black people on twitter?

...yeah there is a strong black presence on twitter....yes that presence is going to start reflecting other places as well. 
I don't find that first statement relevant, at all.

But yes, but this is a General forum, and there are far dumber things than this question. Sure, I'm not as concerned right now with the Dow Jones as I am with black people on Twitter. It's something I noticed, and something I wanted to ask NT about since a lot of y'all are on Twitter (from what I see on sigs, and the whole #NT fam thing). All I wanted to know is if anyone has ever thought about the same thing. I'm trying to keep it respectful with every post I make, because I feel it's a legit question.

so what is the relevance of your question within the context of you asking it? 
that is the real question. 
happy.gif

are all Asian people Chinese?
seriously, out of all the %*!+ in the world going on you want to talk about black people on twitter?

...yeah there is a strong black presence on twitter....yes that presence is going to start reflecting other places as well. 
I don't find that first statement relevant, at all.

But yes, but this is a General forum, and there are far dumber things than this question. Sure, I'm not as concerned right now with the Dow Jones as I am with black people on Twitter. It's something I noticed, and something I wanted to ask NT about since a lot of y'all are on Twitter (from what I see on sigs, and the whole #NT fam thing). All I wanted to know is if anyone has ever thought about the same thing. I'm trying to keep it respectful with every post I make, because I feel it's a legit question.

so what is the relevance of your question within the context your asking it? 
Simple: I noticed that most of my friends that do use Twitter are black, despite having friends of all races, and most of the hashtag trends that I see are being Tweeted about by black people. I'm wondering if NT ever thought or noticed the same thing. I mean, it was just a thought, no big deal. But that's what the General forum is for... to get input on any general thought from other people on a message board.

No.
And how would we know? There is like millions of people on twitter, NT isn't going to count every single black person on the site.

Originally Posted by 365k

Until this day I don't think I can see myself keeping up with Twitter. 1. I have no idea what's the purpose of it, and 2. I have no idea how it all works.
Dude, its social networking not aerospace engineering. Just sign up and talk to someone.

Back
Top Bottom