Is This Guy Trying To Scam Me? Need Your Advice NT...

Ok so I sold a textbook thru half.com a little over a month ago. I print the shipping label, send it via media mail and it gets returned to me a couple weeks later. I contact the buyer and they tell me it was probably refused because it was the wrong info listed on his half.com profile. Fair enough; I send it to the new name he provided me with (same address as before). I asked him to reimburse me for the shipping (even though it was only $4 and it was media mail, it was his error that led to me shipping it twice) and he says he can't afford to and hopes that I understand. W/e, it's $4 so I told him don't worry about it. According to the USPS tracking the package was delivered on Sept 19th at 5:38 pm. I get the money from half.com and figure everything's straight.
Today I get an email from half.com telling me they are debiting my account $151 (price of the book) because the buyer issued a charge back. He never contacted me in any way to say he didn't get it or wasn't happy with the condition, and he didn't file a claim with half.com or ebay. I can prove that I shipped the item to the address he gave me and it was delivered, so how can he just issue a charge back from his credit card company and have them take the money back from me without going through half or returning the book? Looking on googlemaps the address he gave me is pretty close to Michigan St so I searched their directory and the name he gave me comes up but it's spelled one letter differently. He has 15 transactions from Aug 26-30, all of them for fairly expensive (150-250) books. It looks to me like he's either trying to resell them, run some credit card fraud or he let a bunch of his friends use his account to buy their books. Hopefully the latter. 

I called my bank and issued a stop payment. I had to pay $30 for it but if the charge went through I would have overdrafted. I tried contacting the buyer today but haven't heard back yet. Half.com doesn't have any phone support so I sent an email and am waiting on that; their policy says that buyers that dispute charges through their CC company may have their account suspended. Anybody got any advice?

99% sure hes scamming you. he has no reason to file a charge back with his CC unless the book wasnt as described which im willing to bet it was.

Probably a scam since he had 15 transactions during that time. I know he could be a college student, but 15 books in one semester is a lot.

Originally Posted by asianplayer

Probably a scam since he had 15 transactions during that time. I know he could be a college student, but 15 books in one semester is a lot.
That's what I'm thinking. Also the name listed on the half.com account is Doreena Corley, that's who I addressed it to the first time. The second time I was told to send it to "Corey Ross," but the listing on MSU's website spells his name Cory with no "e." It sounds like it could have just been one person ordering books for a bunch of different people and she didn't know how to spell his name, but the CC charge back thing makes me suspicious. I emailed the Cory Ross guy on his MSU email, curious to see what he says. 

Back
Top Bottom