It's the 11th Annual Niketalk Sports Turkey of the Year™, brought to you by ESPN

Happy Thanksgiving to all, please vote now!

View media item 672056

Previous Winners

2012 – Gary Bettman and the NHL
2011 – Joe Paterno and Penn State football
2010 – LeBron James*
2009 – Stephon Marbury
2008 – Roger Clemens
2007 – Isiah Thomas
2006 – Kim Etheredge (T.O.’s publicist)
2005 – Terrell Owens
2004 – Barry Bonds
2003 – Barry Bonds

Niketalk Sports Turkey of the Year[emoji]8482[/emoji]

The Committee had so many nominees this year that an executive decision had to be made: The list will be cut off and will only be featuring the cream of the crop this year where we have a Hall of Fame roster at the very top...filled with liars, drug users, and sadly alleged murderers. Let’s begin.

2013:

Lance Armstrong – It took many years, many intimidations and many bridges burned, but Lance finally admitted doping use to Oprah - telling her his previously perfect story was “one big lie.” His personal empire has since crumbled and lawsuits still hang all over him. Lance had his seven Tour de France titles stripped and the USADA gave him a lifetime ban after they announced over 1,000 pages of evidence against him. He has been dropped by all his major endorsers and cannot compete in any sanctioned sporting events.

A-Rod and Biogenesis – The committee is going to miss Alex once he finally retires because it has been a marvelous trip. A-Rod was all over the news yet again in 2013, once again for drama off the field. In August A-Rod was suspended by MLB for 211 games (currently under appeal) for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal, the longest suspension issued in MLB history that isn’t a lifetime ban. 2013 also was another injury-filled season for Alex as he fueded with the Yankee front office on whether he was healthy enough yet to play, which led to yet another twist of irony when Alex eventually came back to play his first game of 2013…on the day MLB officially announced his suspension. Has earned bonus points with the committee for A) still claiming he has not taken a single steroid since 2003 and B) wanting us to believe that the country’s richest athlete is going to a Florida strip-mall anti-aging clinic (Biogenesis) for “legal supplement help.” Currently is holding comedy shows inside and outside the courtroom of his grievance hearings.

Aaron Hernandez – The Patriots star tight end was indicted in August for the murder of Odin Lloyd, allegedly leaving his body in a park yards away from Hernandez’s own home. He continues to sit in jail awaiting trial. The Patriots cut him and the University of Florida removed his name from all facility locations. Is also being investigated for connections to murders in Massachusetts and Florida as well as federal gun trafficking.

Manti Te’o – Still eligible for a 2013 entry as his BCS championship game and fake-girlfriend news all happened this year. Some credited the girlfriend hoax (combined with the golden-boy treatment of him in the year prior) as the most bizarre sports story possibly of all time. Regardless, Te’o may well be forever known for either the biggest imposter or most naïve human being of all time. Owes a huge favor to the national media who now have buried his storyline since entering the NFL.

Ryan Braun – The committee thought about naming the Turkey of the Year award after Ryan Braun once his story hit earlier this year. After first puffing out his chest and denying to the heavens his failed MLB drug test back in the 2011 playoffs, Lyin’ Ryan was later found to be connected to Biogenesis in the winter of 2013. Braun ended up being suspended by MLB for his final 65 games of 2013 and did not appeal. He finalized the process by admitting to using, lost endorsement deals with several companies including Nike, and currently hides from virtually all public site.

Richie Incognito – Made it onto the list as a last-minute entry for possibly either one of the weirdest…or most overrated stories in quite some time. Said to be responsible for Dolphins O-lineman Jonathan Martin walking out on the team because of harassment. Incognito was made to be the posterboy for national bullying, was also called a racist, and also later a slimeball. Is currently serving a 4-game suspension and fighting to clear his name.

Oscar Pistorius - The Blade Runner spent his Valentine's Day shooting and killing his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in his home bedroom. Oscar claimed he was attempting to shoot an intruder who had locked himself in his bathroom in the middle of the night. The "intruder" ended up being Reeva who was simply using the bathroom. Allegedly witnesses heard arguing from the house earlier. Oscar has two charges of murder and illegal ammunition possession and is currently out on bail with trial set for March 2014.

Just missed the head table:

Jeffrey Loria and the Marlins
Titus Young
Riley Cooper
Mike Riley
Von Miller
Lane Kiffin
The NCAA
ESPN script writers

VOTE NOW

I've been waiting all day for this. :lol:

I'll go with Aaron Hernandez this year.

easy

tumblr_msqlycy2kN1qkjkvuo1_500.png

It comes down to Alex and Aaron. People do steroids lie and get caught. People don't often commit murder and miss the millions of dollars he will miss.

Winner: Arron Hernandez

Manti.  Nothing could be weirder than that story, I don't care if it's murder or whatever.

I don't think Aaron should "win" anything for being a murderer.

I'll go with Manti

[quote name="100027"]Manti.  Nothing could be weirder than that story, I don't care if it's murder or whatever.
[/quote]x2

I vote for Manti Teo. I dont believe a murderer should qualify for the Turkey of the Year.

Back
Top Bottom