Jason Whitlock says "Less Tattoos = Better Ratings"...

trueblack88

Banned
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8187914/In-NBA-playoffs,-less-ink-means-more-viewers

My brain isn't big enough to embed an article but the link is provided. The parts that really stood out to me are:

"No one wants to watch Delonte West or Larry Hughes play basketball. It's uncomfortable and disconcerting. Youdon't want your kids to see it. You don't want your kids to think they should decorate their neck, arms, hands, chest and legs in paint. You don'twant to waste time explaining to your kids that some millionaire athletes have so little genuine self-confidence that they find it necessary to coverthemselves in tattoos as a way to mask their insecurities."

"It's a television show. Pleasant smiles, non-threatening people sell products better than menacing, tattooed brutes."

"Part of the reason more people are watching these playoffs is because the average fan isn't constantly repulsed by the appearance of most of theplayers on the court. Most of the key players left in the playoffs don't look like recent prison parolees."

I'm at work so I can't even go off on the rant I want to, but damn. This article really made me mad. Not only because I have tattoo's myself butbecause he just comes across as so ignorant and arrogant. I've read some of his other stuff and it seemed "out-there", like he was just reachingto get readers but this takes the cake for me. Thoughts?

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

He doesn't like the Denver Nuggets.

/thread

Lol, at this point, I just don't think he likes Black people. If they ever make a real-life Boondocks, he's playing Uncle Rukus, no doubt...

Yea it might be insensitive because so many people WE KNOW are tatted up and we BELIEVE that it is part of "our" culture (pop culture)

But you HAVE to see where he is coming from

"You don't want to waste time explaining to your kids that some millionaire athletes have so little genuine self-confidence that they find it necessary to cover themselves in tattoos as a way to mask their insecurities."

seriously what the hell is this guy talking about.

who cares? its not like a dude tatted up or not really has any effect on your life

You don't want to waste time explaining to your kids that some millionaire athletes have so little genuine self-confidence that they find it necessary to cover themselves in tattoos as a way to mask their insecurities."

:smh:c'mon whitlock...

Dudes who play soccer over in Europe are just as tatted up as the athletes in the NBA....

the same in the NHL, only thing is, you can't see all the ink due to the equipment. The NBA uniform is about as revealing as you can get when looking atthe major sports around the world. If you have ink, it's going to show....

this guy needs to get a clue...he does nothing but PURPOSELY try to stir the pot...

was it an issue when he was sitting on PTI in a ball state throwback rather than in a suit? And if i'm not mistaken...he has rocked a *gasp* earring....

that "thug image" again
smh.gif

"No one wants to watch Delonte West or Larry Hughes play basketball. It's uncomfortable and disconcerting. You don't want your kids to see it. You don't want your kids to think they should decorate their neck, arms, hands, chest and legs in paint.
Co-sign
roll.gif

but i like watching Iverson and Melo

Dude is such a #**%.

Thats like sayin back in the 70's black players should have cut their afro's to improve their appearance. yeah some player OD on their tats but reallymost of the viewing audience could care less, when it comes to endorsement deals and such... then the amount of tattoos will come into play... but peoplearen't sitting at home turning their tv's away from the games because of tats. It just so happens that basketball uniforms expose player'sbody's more so than football & hockey. Players in those leagues have just as many tats as NBA players. Tats are as common in society as ear piercingsnow... This peon equates everything with prison... tattoos didn't start in prison and its definitely wasn't popularized by prisoners.

It's lame, yes, but watching soccer or any other sport is very different.

On TV, since the basketball court is so small and the players wear very little, you can see them very easily and very clearly.

Tattoos on a hockey player or a football player aren't going to stand out.

With a guy like Delonte, it jumps out at you.

As much as all of you and I don't care, I bet much of the older NBA viewers (i.e. the ones buying the season tickets and purchasing all the merchandise)do. So this guy may be correct. I bet the NBA WOULD appeal to more people if the players weren't tattooed and were friendlier. Not saying the NBA shouldimplement any sort of tattoo rule, but this guy has a point.

I understand his point of view, when I see the Denver Nuggets play I think of a prison team (Kinda ironic that the 3 most tatted up Nuggets players have hadrun ins with the law. But if they want to have tats then thats their own choice.

whitlock doesn't write atricles for our culture. he writes atricles for stuffy white people, and stuffy black people. young people, like us, are obviouslygoing to disagree with just about everything he writes, because he isn't writing it for us. so i don't understand why our culture continues to givethis guy air time. why do we care?

this article is so stupid. nobody wants to see larry hughes play ball because he is a bricklayer. who wants to see troy murphy play, or any average untatooedplayer? who's is really not watching lebron, or kobe play because they have tatoos? this article is for the same people who think that putting a suit andtie on allen iverson makes him a different person.

whitlock has his audience who will believe the bs he writes. god bless them.

and for the record, no body watched the finals last year. it wasn't because of the tatoos.

Just read article, here's a few highlights...

Over the next couple of weeks you'll hear lots of theories about why TV ratings are surging for the NBA playoffs.

Of course it helps that large TV markets with storied franchises (Boston and Los Angeles) are still alive and favorites to make the NBA Finals. And, yes, it helps that the league's two most successful franchises over the last five years (San Antonio and Detroit) are competing against the Lakers and the Celtics
True. You can argue that the best 4 teams in basketball are playing with a chance to win it all....both series have teams with historicalrivalries battling each other once again.
Kobe Bryant is the league's MVP and probably most exciting player...that alone will produce great ratings.
Part of the reason more people are watching these playoffs is because the average fan isn't constantly repulsed by the appearance of most of the players on the court. Most of the key players left in the playoffs don't look like recent prison parolees
False. While I agree that society in general has become more accepting of people with tattoos (but not young black men), I think that the biggestreason is the on-court product. People want to be entertained and for the most part, every playoff game has been must see tv. Games going down the wire, evenwhen there are blowouts these teams are so talented that no lead is safe. I can't remember the last time this happened....

No one wants to watch Delonte West or Larry Hughes play basketball. It's uncomfortable and disconcerting. You don't want your kids to see it. You don't want your kids to think they should decorate their neck, arms, hands, chest and legs in paint. You don't want to waste time explaining to your kids that some millionaire athletes have so little genuine self-confidence that they find it necessary to cover themselves in tattoos as a way to mask their insecurities.
Bolded part, true..the rest is just left field. Those two just aren't exciting basketball players. Hughes can't shoot, and West is a solidplayer with no flash or excitement to his game. Funny that he mentioned Delonte West when Lebron probably has as many, if not more tattoos....but Whitlockknows that people do WANT to watch a tattooed up Lebron play basketball.
You just want to watch basketball and feel like you're watching people you can relate to a little bit, people you somewhat respect.

?
laugh.gif

People that I can relate to? Somewhat respect?
This guy takes things so personal it's ridiculous. I watch basketball because I love the game and it's entertaining.
I respect the players because they are extremely talented, their appearance and whether or not I relate to them means nothing.

alien.gif
@ this article, sometimes I think Whitlock is just writing thesearticles to stir up his readers...creating a topic for discussion and that is all.

indifferent.gif
at him. Explain what? If your kid wants tattoos let him have tattoos, of coursenot at 6 yrs old, but dont blame sports players because your kid likes tattoos.

Guys.

Clearly his personal views are unfair, outdated, whatever.

But many other Americans share his views as well.

So...those other Americans would be more inclined to watch the NBA if it fit their views of what is acceptable.

I see the point he is trying to make, but it is the wrong article to make that kind of point.

Now, I have something similar, that indirectly directs with players appearances, and that involves how kids view the game today. As a referee (6 years runningnow), I have gotten to know almost every player in the city here, and a general understanding of how they view the game. Immediately, watching or reffing agame, I can tell if they are a college ball fan or an NBA fan. How?

NBA fans are those who are good, but at the same time, will complain about every single call. They question every single little detail. Now, is it safe toassume that these kind of players get their attitude from the players in the NBA. However, I ask you all, is it correct or incorrect to state that theseplayers get their attitude of how to play the game from the "thug" image the NBA now has? I am not going to say yes or no to that, and I am askingyour opinion as too if this "thug" image in the NBA is brought into every player's life, and that is the only way to view the game; to complainabout every single thing.
Now, there are the other basketball fans, where they learn basketball from college ball. These guys dont say much, regardless of how great or poor theofficiating is. All they do is play the game. These players are strictly fundamental, and do things the "right way" (word to Larry Brown). Now, is itsafe to say, with this group, that they understand the game from players who are not millionaires with a lack of bad attitude. Actually, scratch the badattitude. I am sure that there are a number of players with a terrible attitude in college ball, but IMO the main difference is how the media portrays this badattitude; not seen at all unless it is a major star in college ball. But anyway, back to the question. Is it safe to say, that viewing these kind of players,that the image of NCAA basketball is portrayed through them; that the leauge is a fundimental sound, and a league with a good attitude from players, coaches,school staff, and officials, and NCAA front office.

So now, with that, is it safe to say that players with the attitude that something is always wrong can be blamed on the "thug" image that the NBApresently has?

Opinions NT?

OK, but for you all defending his stance...OK, the man has an opinion on tattoo's and their marketability. BUT, HOWEVER...the way in which he seems to goOUT of his way to belittle and insult people with tattoo's, thats where my primary objections come from. You can express yourself without disrespectingother people as well. He could have just as easily written an article on the same topic and done so in a more professional and neutral way. That doesn'tmean selling his opinion short, that means writing your opinion so you don't turn off people who don't have an equal dislike and disdain oftattoo's (or the people who have them). When he equates people with tattoo's to being in the "prison" league, I mean, what? Does he thinktattoo's came about because of prison? Does he think tattoo culture was borne in prison? I mean, in general, I'm sick of other people's ignoranceon the topic of tattoo's being a legitement excuse for bias and snide comments. People should really study the history of tattoo's because it datesback longer than most people think and spreads to a base of people more diverse than people such as Whitlock may care to acknowledge...

And maybe instead of explaining, as Whitlock assumes parents do, that the players lack so much self-confidence and common-sense that they get tattoo's,maybe those parents could teach their kids tolerance and to judge people based on who they are, not what they look like...

Back
Top Bottom