Jay Z says 'My presence is charity', compares self to Obama in response to Harry Belafonte's critici

He' not obligated to be a "role model" but at da end

Of da day, that void of acknowledging social issues

Of his music always held it from being as powerful

As some of da stuff on others catalog.

Its w/e though.

You know ninja, I had a weebay gif moment after I read that. lol.

And how is this in the Wall Street Journal.... Hmmm. My guess is this is a fluff piece to make white conservatives angry about how liberals see Obama. They give him a pass regardless of his policies just because he's Obama.
To be fair to them, this was covered from the LA Times to Fuse. I singled this one out because it was on the first page of Google. Good SEO by WSJ.

Damn Jay, sound real foolish in this one. I think some celebs don't take on more social responsibility because of fear for who writes their check.
a lot of contracts have gag orders in them to keep slander down because you may be talking down on an affiliate or label mate. Conflict of interest keeps most of these artist on hush mode.

Last edited:
he's a rapper. that's all he is

a rapper who's really full of himself (there's an original concept)

i don't necessarily agree with harry belafonte, but jay z is just a rapper

y'all created him, it's up to consumers of his product to bring him down a few notches

he's a rapper. that's all he is

a rapper who's really full of himself (there's an original concept)

i don't necessarily agree with harry belafonte, but jay z is just a rapper

y'all created him, it's up to consumers of his product to bring him down a few notches

yup. like it's not surprising a dude whose fans call him Hov thinks this way :lol:

plus magna carta whatever it's called sucked

and his forays into the art world - that was a sheer embarrassment

really feelin himself way too much

Its amazing how willfully ignorant jay-Z is of politics..

Son basically said "it doesnt matter how trash

Obama is as a President, just cuz he's black he's

Giving hope just existing" :lol:

Yea........when I first watched that interview all I was thinkin of was like. Yea easy to say when you rich as ....

Last edited:
Meh. We need more delusionaly confident black people.

Our celebrities are so scared. Either you gotta be a c oon or cross dresser or stereotypical thug.

Let that boy Jay acknowledge his greatness. Ask young black people who the number 1 and 2 are. Obama and Jay Z. Maybe LeBron over takes one of them at any given point in the year.

Yeah Jay-Z sounded like an arrogant prick. How you gonna compare yourself to the president? You're a rapper. You don't provide hope for anyone. 
Dont really care about anything else in this thread but this is not true. He provides hope to anyone who thinks they deserve better in life and are living in what they believe to be undesirable circumstances. He is a true Rags to Riches story how can that not provide hope for someone. The same way that MJ provides hope to people out there that if they work hard enough they can make it to league, Jay Z does for people.

Hes provided hope for me and at the risk of being flamed to death for it, I will admit that hes done that more than Obama has for me. Is that a slight on Obama? No, its not really his fault that I dont care about politics at all, and as a result dont really care what he does, I respect him and his accomplishments however. I've just been listening to Jay Z since I was seven and his music along with his outside ventures have always been an interest of mine and something I make note of.

Last edited:
I might be the only one to defend him. A lot of young black dudes don't understand, there are a lot of older black people that never ever, ever, ever, ever thought they would live to see a black President, good or bad, a black man making it there, a black man making it there that doesn't act white and embraces so many parts of his own personal culture...is a gift. There are black people who were told "You can be President of the United States" but until Obama, that was just a dream. Him making that sacrifice, walking this line, taking the criticism, the stress, the reality of race in America, head on...every single time he is suppose to and does so in a way that every person can respect, is charity. He doesn't have to be President, yes, it's part ego; yes, it's part vanity, but it is also part heroic. To stand and let the world judge you, knowing that whatever you do is going to fall on millions of shoulders, that is heroism.

In so many ways, Jay represents that to dudes in the hood. There are a few on NT that really be in the streets, see what it's like. Jay tells the world what it's like, tells those kids running the streets, F it, do what you gotta do, and make it out of the projects I don't care what is, so long as you can "walk down the mirrors in Versilles and be so satisfied when [you] look yourself in the eyes. ....and when they tell you to be a certain way, tell "I did it my way." That's the secret most of you kids don't want to tell yourselves, you resent Jay because he did what you feel you can't. He made it to the top...billionaire status damn near, with a Du Rag, when you spend your time trying to find a button up, and he's not shy about telling you how great he is, something  you don't feel about yourself, so you hate to hear others feel that way about themselves.

The idea of "Hope" is embodied in both Sean carter and Obama, the idea that one day black males will get respected for more than sports and entertainment, we will be more than Showhorses and Jim Crows, the hope that my little cousin can walk into a boardroom and command million dollar deals, like so many sons of other races, and the backroom conversation not be  "He's a good businessman, for a black guy," but rather "He's a good businessman." The hope that one day my niece can hold public office and the headline doesn't read "Madea goes to Washington," is something that I actually see in Obama. Both are similar in what they do for the culture, it takes a envious person to not see that.

/rant.

I watched the interview and kinda chuckled when he said "that his presence was charity". I thought it was a bit audacious, but with all the moves he is making these days and all the connections I guess you can say that. And everyone values their time differently so I he considers his to be very valuable. I see no problem with that. The "charity" part is probably what is angering people. Maybe if he used another word like valuable, people wouldn't have been upset.

I might be the only one to defend him. A lot of young black dudes don't understand, there are a lot of older black people that never ever, ever, ever, ever thought they would live to see a black President, good or bad, a black man making it there, a black man making it there that doesn't act white and embraces so many parts of his own personal culture...is a gift. There are black people who were told "You can be President of the United States" but until Obama, that was just a dream. Him making that sacrifice, walking this line, taking the criticism, the stress, the reality of race in America, head on...every single time he is suppose to and does so in a way that every person can respect, is charity. He doesn't have to be President, yes, it's part ego; yes, it's part vanity, but it is also part heroic. To stand and let the world judge you, knowing that whatever you do is going to fall on millions of shoulders, that is heroism.

In so many ways, Jay represents that to dudes in the hood. There are a few on NT that really be in the streets, see what it's like. Jay tells the world what it's like, tells those kids running the streets, F it, do what you gotta do, and make it out of the projects I don't care what is, so long as you can "walk down the mirrors in Versilles and be so satisfied when [you] look yourself in the eyes. ....and when they tell you to be a certain way, tell "I did it my way." That's the secret most of you kids don't want to tell yourselves, you resent Jay because he did what you feel you can't. He made it to the top...billionaire status damn near, with a Du Rag, when you spend your time trying to find a button up, and he's not shy about telling you how great he is, something  you don't feel about yourself, so you hate to hear others feel that way about themselves.

The idea of "Hope" is embodied in both Sean carter and Obama, the idea that one day black males will get respected for more than sports and entertainment, we will be more than Showhorses and Jim Crows, the hope that my little cousin can walk into a boardroom and command million dollar deals, like so many sons of other races, and the backroom conversation not be  "He's a good businessman, for a black guy," but rather "He's a good businessman." The hope that one day my niece can hold public office and the headline doesn't read "Madea goes to Washington," is something that I actually see in Obama. Both are similar in what they do for the culture, it takes a envious person to not see that.

/rant.
What a stupid essay

/rant.
Really? You really went there? I understand what you mean but there were so many better ways to get that point across.

And this is why I can't even really mess with Jay anymore, aside from his recent musical efforts being "meh" for the most part.

Belafonte is right. Jay is delusional.
Dont really care about anything else in this thread but this is not true. He provides hope to anyone who thinks they deserve better in life and are living in what they believe to be undesirable circumstances. He is a true Rags to Riches story how can that not provide hope for someone. The same way that MJ provides hope to people out there that if they work hard enough they can make it to league, Jay Z does for people.

Hes provided hope for me and at the risk of being flamed to death for it,
He's a drug dealer, and raps about destroying the black community, if anything he's promoting the dysfunction of African-Americans in our attempt to completely assimilate into America's culture.I think it's saddening that Harry Belafonte sacrificed a lucrative career as an entertainer to help his own people but ignorant youth are celebrating Jay-Z's wealth and influence as a rebuttal to defend his harsh words against Harry.Ever ask yourself who is Tom Ford and what has he done for black culture to have a song named after him by Jay-Z?Why is their GREEK sculptures on a black man's album cover?Why is Jay-Z's music mostly about being rich as STILL not being accepted by whites?What is the purpose of "Open Letter's" lyrics if these are the people you are trying to impress and out of frustration to tell the world how you can flood the streets with drugs because they won't accept you?...But It's his presence is charity?Sounds more like "your best white mate" Chris and his wife Gwyneth who have "N's" in Paris are charity to you.And a former Disney star who's twenty years younger than you.Jay-Z is joke and an infantile 45 year old adult.

What jay said, sounded very cocky, narcissistic, and arrogant but is he really wrong? There might be some black kid in the ghetto who may see jay-z in a room full of people like oprah, george clooney, and Angelina Jolie. Which one do you think that kids going to identify with the most? Most likely Jay. Whether we think it's ridiculous or not that inner city kids look up to jay z is irrelevant because it's some that do. Charity by definition it giving something to a person in need whether its money, food ,clothing, shelter or hope. 

I don't know how many of y'all are black and from a ghetto in America but I was was coincidentally born in the same neighborhood of bedstuy (I live in kansas now) and I've never seen anybody make out of there the way jay did. He's reached a level of success that nobody let alone a black man is supposed to reach and he's done that by being himself. And I know that people from there feel inspired by his accomplishments but whether they use it  for motivation or not is up to them. He didn't cater to middle age white woman like oprah did or say one thing to get blacks to support him then turn his back on him when he got what he wanted like other black celebrities have.

Harry Belafontes work and what he fought for in the past has made my life easier but that doesn't mean he has the right to look at another man and say he hasn't done enough. All we know of jay is what he decides to put in a song and what the media decides to report on him. For instance Jay-Z's scholarship fund has helped send 750 BLACK kids to college but you wouldn't know that unless you googled it. And Op would doy ou really think that Jay and Bey would got to a Trayvon Rally for PR? 
roll.gif
Most white people think trayvon was a drugged out thug who got what he deserved. So he actually he took a chance by being there, being that the white people who he supposedly needs to stay relevant would of been turned off by that. So for Harry to say because HE doesn't see jay doing something is rude and tasteless and he could of approached it different.

So Jay CAN do a lot more and I'm sure he will but we as a society we should come together and do more and stop relying on "Black Celebrities" to do everything. The reason why we relied on MLK, Ruby Dee, Muhammad Ali is because at that time they were the only ones in the black community that had resources. They fought for the right for blacks to be treated equal. In 2013 with social media we shouldn't be doing that. We have social media and e-mail and so many ways for us to connect with each other. We have the power.

He's a drug dealer, and raps about destroying the black community, if anything he's promoting the dysfunction of African-Americans in our attempt to completely assimilate into America's culture.I think it's saddening that Harry Belafonte sacrificed a lucrative career as an entertainer to help his own people but ignorant youth are celebrating Jay-Z's wealth and influence as a rebuttal to defend his harsh words against Harry.Ever ask yourself who is Tom Ford and what has he done for black culture to have a song named after him by Jay-Z?Why is their GREEK sculptures on a black man's album cover?Why is Jay-Z's music mostly about being rich as STILL not being accepted by whites?What is the purpose of "Open Letter's" lyrics if these are the people you are trying to impress and out of frustration to tell the world how you can flood the streets with drugs because they won't accept you?...But It's his presence is charity?Sounds more like "your best white mate" Chris and his wife Gwyneth who have "N's" in Paris are charity to you.And a former Disney star who's twenty years younger than you.Jay-Z is joke and an infantile 45 year old adult.
Jay aint sold drugs in 20 years.
roll.gif
 U obviously have never stepped a foot in the ghettos of america. Selling drugs is so common in those neighborhoods that people dont even judge each other by it because everyones doing it. So if you sell drugs now your restricted from trying to change your life. Jay did contribute to hurting his community by selling crack but so did the CIA and Oliver North for bringing the coke in this country that actually supplied the crack epidemic. What the hell does Greek sculpture have to do with him personally. So if your black you can only like west african art. lol  Come on Fam. smh!

I think that these wealthy black people have the opportunity to be great contributors the the black people of the US. They have money they spend on useless things like million dollar vacations, third and fourth 10 bedroom houses, and 10+ cars while its other black people out here starving. They could at least have a college fund set up for people trying to do something for themselves or something. If done correctly, they could be just as memorable to the black community as MLK.. Real talk.. Only way they actually give back to society directly is by trickin at the strip club...

Back
Top Bottom