Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Anyone actually pay for the LinkedIn Job Seeker pro feature? I have next to no faith in LinkedIn and its job finding capabilities, but people I know have gotten jobs through there.

Question: I just did a phone interview with a company. I'm a junior in undergrad and this position is for a summer internship. Now the thing is, the internship is at the company's HQ in another state. I didn't ask the person on the phone because i didn't want to act like I'm getting an in person interview, but if they do offer it to me, would flying costs there be covered by the company or do they expect me to pay out of pocket for the flight?

For next summer I'm guessing? Is the company in another state from your school? And how far? They either might have a branch in your area or, if not, will likely offer you some housing and probably transportation but cross that bridge when you get to it.
Yep, for summer of 2014.
Yes, in another state, and let's just say flying is the only option
When the internship was listed on my school's job board, it said that final in person interviews will be at their hq because if ppl get offered the job, it will be at their hq.

Fellas, I found this site when I was getting ready for my interview for the job I landed. It helped me a lot and I hope it can help you guys too.

It helps you get your resume and applications together too.

http://www.prepary.com/

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm about to put my name down for the two year wait list at UCSF.

I also have another gig my friend is doing now and is gonna put in a good word for me. Are you a kin major too? If so, PM me.

Bio major. Thought about Kin but it's just too much. I want to graduate already.

for you lazy people like myself that hate filling out long job applications do this

indeed search by city/job whatever then at the top of the results click "only 'easy apply' jobs" this just makes it so you only need to submit a resume. you can apply to jobs so much quicker

use craigslist e-mail resumes/cover letter

also i was on careerbuilder today if you have your resume uploaded you apply to one job they have a list of other similar jobs and you just a one click apply I LITERALLY APPLIED 30 JOBS IN 4 MINUTES!

hope this helps somebody

for you lazy people like myself that hate filling out long job applications do this

indeed search by city/job whatever then at the top of the results click "only 'easy apply' jobs" this just makes it so you only need to submit a resume. you can apply to jobs so much quicker

use craigslist e-mail resumes/cover letter

also i was on careerbuilder today if you have your resume uploaded you apply to one job they have a list of other similar jobs and you just a one click apply I LITERALLY APPLIED 30 JOBS IN 4 MINUTES!

hope this helps somebody

Not to be a ****, but easy apply has an extremely low success rate in even getting contacted.

Just like its easy for you to apply to 30 jobs and 4 mins, it's just as easy for all the other lazy ppl to do the same. I'm sure any job that says "easy apply" gets like 10 times more applications per day.

Plus you should at least attempt to cater your resume and cover letter based on the job you're applying for. Not saying you gotta completely re-do it each time, but just make small adjustments.

Last edited:
^ i got two calls for interviews from 2 jobs on career builder and its a holiday weekend.

but i get what you're saying i have 3 resumes that i use when i submit for jobs. 1 technical used to apply for computer jobs. 1 for office jobs and another for basic jobs. 

^ i got two calls for interviews from 2 jobs on career builder and its a holiday weekend.

but i get what you're saying i have 3 resumes that i use when i submit for jobs. 1 technical used to apply for computer jobs. 1 for office jobs and another for basic jobs. 

True, good for u bruh. Respect.

I just said that, cuz I know some dudes will have one plain jane resume they use to apply for everything, and that hardly ever works.

Speaking of job boards what job boards are you guys using to look for jobs? Anything outside of the normal Career Builder, Indeed, etc.

Speaking of job boards what job boards are you guys using to look for jobs? Anything outside of the normal Career Builder, Indeed, etc.

If you live in a major city, the website for the city newspaper. Dunno what you're trying to do, but the public school system and county/city gov't usually have a broad range of open positions too.

I have a really good job now. I just want to use my utilize my degree. I have offers paying buckets of money but I know I wont be happy. At 32 I have learned money don't mean snot if you aren't happy. I will keep looking, I just need to follow up.

your university doesn't have an alumni job board?
My university's job board is pretty much useless. There are good jobs but there are more ******** jobs than good. After a while, they are useless to alumni to myself who've been out of schools for a minute now (three years in my case).

My university's job board is pretty much useless. There are good jobs but there are more ******** jobs than good. After a while, they are useless to alumni to myself who've been out of schools for a minute now (three years in my case).

Probably does but aren't those catered to recent graduates? I've been out of school for two years.

Damn shame :smh:

your university doesn't have an alumni job board?
Probably does but aren't those catered to recent graduates? I've been out of school for two years.
Depends on the job tbh
I'm in undergrad but i looked at some of the full time position job listings on my school's board and some of them wanted 2-3 years of full time experience of even 5-10 years so while the majority of full time listings are more for people who recently graduated, there's definitely a few that are for more experienced alumni

Depends on the job tbh
I'm in undergrad but i looked at some of the full time position job listings on my school's board and some of them wanted 2-3 years of full time experience of even 5-10 years so while the majority of full time listings are more for people who recently graduated, there's definitely a few that are for more experienced alumni
That's most entry level jobs now. Good luck. Get those internships in before you graduate and do something on campus that's worth putting on your resume like volunteering or getting a leadership position with a student organization.

Need a new job BAD. Bachelor's Degree hasn't done **** for me since graduating in 2008. Can barely cover all my bills. Working two dead end jobs and another job that goes with my degree but pays pennies. 3 jobs just to struggle :smh:

I even expanded my search to include the west coast. I'm approaching desperation mode though.

What would you dudes do in my position?

Sit down and straighten out your finances. No need to take your money troubles to another job. If cant learn to control it with 3 jobs, I dont see it happening with one "good" one. Mo' Money, Mo' Problems.

Sacrifice my man.

Last edited:
Sit down and straighten out your finances. No need to take your money troubles to another job. If cant learn to control it with 3 jobs, I dont see it happening with one "good" one. Mo' Money, Mo' Problems.

Sacrifice my man.

That's real, you shouldn't have 3 jobs and be broke, that makes no sense. Unless you're only pulling 12 hours at each one :lol:

That's real, you shouldn't have 3 jobs and be broke, that makes no sense. Unless you're only pulling 12 hours at each one
laugh.gif
thats probably the case and all 3 jobs prob  pay a low hourly wage so hes looking for just 1 job thatll pay more and give him more time

sucks that my past two jobs have been in social services.. I'm trying to move into warehouse work but most spots won't even give me a look based on that experience

sucks that my past two jobs have been in social services.. I'm trying to move into warehouse work but most spots won't even give me a look based on that experience

What have you been doing in social services if you don't mind me asking, also do you have your degree yet?

had 2 interviews yesterday. both went excellent.  i got a call yesterday on the way to the interview from a robert-half company about another job i applied to a few days ago. been playing phone tag with this guy 
mean.gif

an i got another call today from this security company.  

i been considering getting a security job. it seems pretty easy. they have guard card classes online for under $40. has anyone got a guard card? and then got a job? or is it a waste of time?

What have you been doing in social services if you don't mind me asking, also do you have your degree yet?
i worked the front desk mostly.. saw couple clientsfor emergency services but mainly receptionist type stuff

both times it was an internship type deal that expanded into temp work.. No degree

Back
Top Bottom