Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

I got 2 pt time jobs... im all messes up..no family time, didnt even go to school this semester... i moved to Massachusetts but im contemplating going back to nyc to be a officer... my last resort

Man it's the struggle has been real in chicago... Got a communications degree with marketing background and can't find anything... Going on 8 months..... :frown:
yea its tough. I'm a communications major (advertising to be exact) and finding a job in the field is frustrating and I think its because I didn't do any internships while I was in school. Currently I do market research and I just dont like it at all. Still trying to look for something better.

Some of y'all should look into Concierge jobs with Equity Residential. They do a lot of hiring in the DC area.

Most of the concierge positions are PT, but pay starts at 16/hr + paid time off & holidays. No degree required, need some cust. service exp tho.

I had a job that I hated so looked for a new job for about a year and a half. Finally found a new gig that pays well and I really enjoy it. Social Media Manage for a large corporation. Been doing it for three weeks now and really enjoy it. Just keep grinding.

One thing I've noticed with a lot of communication majors that do and don't get hired.

DO GET HIRED:

• Internships and/or business-related experience
  • Applying to a broad range of jobs outside of the field they went to school for, and convincing employers how they can use the knowledge gained from their field to benefit the company, etc.
  • Creatives. Students that have portfolios if the comm major required any creative work

DON'T GET HIRED:

• No internships and/or experience, basically just went to school.
  • Only applying to jobs within the field they went to school for
  • No technical skill to show for (you can pick up a skill on your own, get a certification in it if possible)

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed with a lot of communication majors that do and don't get hired.

DO GET HIRED:

• Applying to a broad range of jobs outside of the field they went to school for, and convincing employers how they can use the knowledge gained from their field to benefit the company, etc.
  • Creatives. Students that have portfolios if the comm major required any creative work

DON'T GET HIRED:

• No technical skill to show for (you can pick up a skill on your own, get a certification in it if possible)
DON'T GET HIRED is basically me, Which is why im not having any success in finding a job

Last edited:
If anyone in the bay has GREAT automotive partsl experience, particularly mercedes... Mercedes Benz SF is hiring for parts counterperson.

DON'T GET HIRED is basically me, Which is why im not having any success in finding a job

Apply for some office jobs and work one of those while you're still searching.

Or you could pick up a BS job that requires less hours than an office job + do an internship at somewhere that you see potential.

Even though you're a college grad you can still do an internship.

Keep searching.

Some of y'all should look into Concierge jobs with Equity Residential. They do a lot of hiring in the DC area.

Most of the concierge positions are PT, but pay starts at 16/hr + paid time off & holidays. No degree required, need some cust. service exp tho.

Good look breh, just started at UPS (not guaranteed a spot past New Year's Eve tho...) while waiting for this temp Safeway joint to start up in a couple weeks, but need some stability, so to speak. Will do asap.

DO GET HIRED:

DON'T GET HIRED:

Do get hired is me BUT, I ain't getting hired.... I've done an internship with the American Red Cross prior to graduating in 2011, I apply all over, I don't classify myself to one type of job range, I try and use my communication skills to prove that I'm valuable in any market if given the right opportunity... I was doing some stuff for a consulting company from September until last week honestly, helping run their social media outlets, doing some marketing stuff, and also responsible for creation of their newsletter, but they just let me go due to their being a lack of projects to work on now. So I'm back to square one, applying for retail, hospitality, travel, everything, and I'm not limiting myself to just chicago, I'm applying in Miami, Texas, Cali, I just need an opportunity I know once I get it I'm running with it

Good look breh, just started at UPS (not guaranteed a spot past New Year's Eve tho...) while waiting for this temp Safeway joint to start up in a couple weeks, but need some stability, so to speak. Will do asap.

No problem.

Don't sleep on Costco either, I think they start at around 15/hour too.

Why'd you leave BofA? :nerd:

I just interviewed with them on Wednesday. I currently have a job but It has nothing to do with my degree and I definitely don't want to make a career out of it. Hoping this BofA gig comes through for me.

Didn't leave by choice. I was basically fired because we got a new manager in the department I worked in, and dude didn't like me at all. Got fired for being 4 minutes late SMFH :smh:

Not unemployed but I noticed that on some applications, they ask a question like:

"Do you have any family/relatives that work for this company?"

How does that affect your chances? (If you're related to someone at the position you're applying for, who's in a higher-level position)

Is this just to prevent favoritism or..?

Last edited:
Not unemployed but I noticed that on some applications, they ask a question like:

"Do you have any family/relatives that work for this company?"

How does that affect your chances? (If you're related to someone at the position you're applying for, who's in a higher-level position)

Is this just to prevent favoritism or..?

It can go either way, but they want to give everyone a fair shot at the job.

If anyone in the bay has GREAT automotive partsl experience, particularly mercedes... Mercedes Benz SF is hiring for parts counterperson.

As a former dealership employee who worked closely with the parts desk, I never understood what makes this job difficult to get. You just gotta know what parts to recommend for certain cars when requested, how to source those parts if your dealership doesn't have them, and perhaps even tell the customer to get it installed at the dealership (which is what most will do).

Just got laid off of my job today, right after I moved into a new apartment.. closer to the job. smh

I had only been at the company going on 2 months, everything looked promising and great pay/benefits, but then things started to slow down last week just to find out that we lost the contract for an application that I was supporting. Sucks.

Lol you don't see the level of responsibility and accountability there?

If that was in reply to me, not really. Especially when a computer does 95% of the work and you're just handling it on the physical end. It seems like a great job to whoever gets it though.

I have a decent job, but I'm applying for a better one in another city.

I have all the certs, training, and experience they want, but I still didn't hear anything from their HR department.

I said **** it and call the guy in charge of talent acquisition, and left him a voice mail. He emailed me back, and told me he wasn't doing the hiring for that department, but he forwarded my resume and application to the person who was, a little later I got a email from another person saying I was qualified and they were reviewing my application.

I hope I get this job, just a little nervous because I applied for a trainee position with the same city and didn't get it, I figured I was too qualified.

Good luck to everyone one else on the hunt, keep your heads up.

The company in Memphis that I had a phone interview with last week is flying me out there for a face-to-face interview on Sunday. They already booked my flight, hotel, and rental car so I'm kind of stoked :pimp: Trying not to get my hopes up tho, just want to prepare this week and manhandle this interview Monday morning.

Last edited:
I have a decent job, but I'm applying for a better one in another city.

I have all the certs, training, and experience they want, but I still didn't hear anything from their HR department.

I said **** it and call the guy in charge of talent acquisition, and left him a voice mail. He emailed me back, and told me he wasn't doing the hiring for that department, but he forwarded my resume and application to the person who was, a little later I got a email from another person saying I was qualified and they were reviewing my application.

I hope I get this job, just a little nervous because I applied for a trainee position with the same city and didn't get it, I figured I was too qualified.

Good luck to everyone one else on the hunt, keep your heads up.

Never hurts to be proactive.

Probably wouldn't have had a chance if u ain't called.

gonna head to Houston tomorrow. My homeboy swears he can get me hired somewhere in a week. I hope he knows what he's talking about.

My associates degree payin off, Applied science process technology. In 4 years I'll reach top pay $37.00 with a lil OT hit 100k. Working 4 days on, 4 days off. Also after 4 years I can move up in position = mo $$$$ U guys have any questions inbox.

Job was hard to get 2500 applicants, 30 open positions.

Jobs not for mechanical division, its for baytown refinery received another email.

For those wondering what I'll be doing, basically Homer Simpsons job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom