Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

So I just wanna come in here and tell my story.

I was working down on Wall St. as an investment banker for the past two years. I wanted a change of scenery and a shorter commute (I was commuting 4 hours a day). I found an opening for a position about 25 minutes from my house.

I applied last Monday morning. They called me Monday afternoon and set me up for an interview on Friday of last week. That interview went well and I recieved another call for an interview with the district manager. That interview went well and I got the call today and received the job offer. I was shocked.

I immediately walked into my bosses office and told him I received a job offer and today would be my last day. He wished me luck and I said bye to everyone. No need to give two weeks notice on Wall St since it's all commission. But I did call all my clients and give them the update before I left.

I start my new job in three weeks. So I'm taking the next three weeks off to relax after working two straight years commuting 4 hours and working 10 hours a day.

I thought it would be forever until I found a new job, but you just gotta bear with it and keep pushing!

Best of luck to all my NT brothers.
damn man 4 hours commuting and then working 10 hours a day? I wouldn't even last 2 years lol, not even a month. But anyways congrats though.

So I just wanna come in here and tell my story.

I was working down on Wall St. as an investment banker for the past two years. I wanted a change of scenery and a shorter commute (I was commuting 4 hours a day). I found an opening for a position about 25 minutes from my house.

I applied last Monday morning. They called me Monday afternoon and set me up for an interview on Friday of last week. That interview went well and I recieved another call for an interview with the district manager. That interview went well and I got the call today and received the job offer. I was shocked.

I immediately walked into my bosses office and told him I received a job offer and today would be my last day. He wished me luck and I said bye to everyone. No need to give two weeks notice on Wall St since it's all commission. But I did call all my clients and give them the update before I left.

I start my new job in three weeks. So I'm taking the next three weeks off to relax after working two straight years commuting 4 hours and working 10 hours a day.

I thought it would be forever until I found a new job, but you just gotta bear with it and keep pushing!

Best of luck to all my NT brothers.
What did you leave IB for?

To answer all the questions above....

My firm was in NYC and I hate to admit it, but I'm a country guy. Love driving my car around on the weekends and being near trees and grass. I wasnt gonna be moving to NYC.

I didn't leave investment banking. I got a job in the same field relatively close to my home and the pay is much, much better than I was getting in the city.

I'm super excited to start a new part of my life and looking forward to a 50 min commute rather than a 4 hour commute.

NT,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Originally wanted to take the medicine route and after extensive shadowing within hospitals and seeing the unhappiness amongst doctors, my attention focused to medical device sales. Gaining entry-level experience is VERY tough within the field but I managed to land an inside sales job with a Fortune 20 medical supply/pharmaceutical company right out of college. After a few years of learning the business, I'll receive my own territory as an outside salesman. The main reason I received an interview in the first place was because a friend of a friend forwarded my resume to HR. I can't stress the importance of networking, you'll never know when it may come in handy.

My firm was in NYC and I hate to admit it, but I'm a country guy. Love driving my car around on the weekends and being near trees and grass. I wasnt gonna be moving to NYC.

I didn't leave investment banking. I got a job in the same field relatively close to my home and the pay is much, much better than I was getting in the city.

I'm super excited to start a new part of my life and looking forward to a 50 min commute rather than a 4 hour commute.
Ahh I see. Well congratulations man

what kinda part time jobs did any of you work while you were in school? I cant find any decent paying job that i dont need a degree for.

Last edited:
see if there are any law firms looking for interns...in school, i was a paid intern for a law/lobbying firm and think tank

define decent paying
$10+ hour or a job that gives me lots of hours at a lower hourly pay will also work
some retail/fast food can do 10+

I'd say go to your school's career website or wherever companies post jobs and look for a position there, my school has a bunch of companies looking for assistants all the time and they pay ~10-13 from what i've seen. get a paid internship if possible. 

some retail/fast food can do 10+
I'd say go to your school's career website or wherever companies post jobs and look for a position there, my school has a bunch of companies looking for assistants all the time and they pay ~10-13 from what i've seen. get a paid internship if possible. 

Yeah I know Panera pays 11 or 12 around my way.

Also if there's a Costco or Sam's club check that out too. Both start at around 14/hour.

Just graduated from Rutgers University with a BA in economics and I was wondering what types of careers I should look into to start out. A bunch of my friends are financial analysts so I'm kind of swayed into that direction at the moment. I keep getting calls from sales position that I definitely do not want to be a part of at all. Thanks  in advance.

Have a finance degree from Baruch College with 3 previous internships. Anyone know of any entry level positions in NYC? Willing to entertain various industries as I have multitude skill sets.

Got an internship coming up in June for accounting. Can't believe I'll be working again, even if it just 10 weeks. Haven't worked since March 2013. Feels much longer than that to be honest (I'm in a master's program though). Life is definitely so different after undergrad.

And like everyone else on here says, networking is key. Use LinkedIn, etc. You have to reach the right people, unless you are applying for a fast food/retail job. With those I assume it's an in person thing too (not sure)? Working 40 hours a week, paying 2700 rent in SF, it's all not good haha. What a life =/

Got an internship coming up in June for accounting. Can't believe I'll be working again, even if it just 10 weeks. Haven't worked since March 2013. Feels much longer than that to be honest (I'm in a master's program though). Life is definitely so different after undergrad.

And like everyone else on here says, networking is key. Use LinkedIn, etc. You have to reach the right people, unless you are applying for a fast food/retail job. With those I assume it's an in person thing too (not sure)? Working 40 hours a week, paying 2700 rent in SF, it's all not good haha. What a life =/

You need to get out of SF.

How big is your place?!?

Rent in Manhattan isn't even that bad for a single room.

Have a finance degree from Baruch College with 3 previous internships. Anyone know of any entry level positions in NYC? Willing to entertain various industries as I have multitude skill sets.

Are you interested in selling stocks? You can go for your Series 7 and 63. But 95% of those jobs are commission only.

Are you interested in selling stocks? You can go for your Series 7 and 63. But 95% of those jobs are commission only.
I have my 7 and 24, but I dont want to be a rep or anything like that. More interested in back or Middle office work at the moment, just not having much luck finding something in the NJ/NY area.

Might take the 79 though at some point, hopefully itll help

Last edited:
Got my interview tomorrow at 1:45PM. Not even gonna lie, I'm nervous as hell even though I know my department real well.

got an interview with Fedex for a part time package handler tomorrow. Job is in South San Francisco and I'll be commuting from San Jose. They work you anywhere from 10-30 hours a week. Gonna let them know I need at the very least 20 or I'll barely break even.

got an interview with Fedex for a part time package handler tomorrow. Job is in South San Francisco and I'll be commuting from San Jose. They work you anywhere from 10-30 hours a week. Gonna let them know I need at the very least 20 or I'll barely break even.

Man, get into CNC Machining like I told you.

Just wondering, where the hell do you live that it was a 4 hour commute? Rockland, maybe Woodbury area? 2 hours to the city and 2 hours back...

Man, get into CNC Machining like I told you.
nerd.gif

bruh, is it worth it? I've been seriously considering going to the local cc and take some classes for it.

Back
Top Bottom