Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

jhobson5 wrote:

sreggie101 wrote:

bump, graduating in a little over a week, no job lined up. been searching hard for about 2 months now. 9.2% unemployment
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Temple University
Electrical Engineering

eyes.gif
 should've been a business major
laugh.gif
For all the Engineers looking for work...Are you guys looking to stay in the city you are in???? Because I know for a fact that there are tons of Civil, and EE needed throughout the country. It man not be your ideal location but it get you the experince you need. Being an engineer its all about experience. The job may not be exactly what you want or where you want but you gain the experience and can go where you want down the road. I am from Denver, and took a job in Louisiana(worst job ever), but I gained the experienced I needed and when it came job hunting time I was able to go pretty much any where. So just keep looking, but I know there are EE jobs out there

QFMFT. 

I'M AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER AND THERE ARE TONS OF JOBS OUT THERE IF YOU EXPAND YOUR SEARCH NATIONWIDE WHICH IS WHAT I DID WHEN I GRADUATED. TOO MANY PEOPLE LOOKING TO BE IN "FUN" CITIES OR NOT MOVE FROM HOME BUT YOU ARE LIMITING YOURSELF THAT WAY. I ENDED UP FINDING ONE IN AKRON, OH, A PLACE I NEVER HEARD OF UNTIL GETTING THE JOB BUT THE PAY IS GREAT AND STANDARD OF LIVING IS CHEAP. HELL, I WOULD OF TAKEN A JOB IN ALASKA IF I HAD TO....

i have to admit i haven't really nationalized the job search as much as you'd think...i applied in cali a few times, but yea i have been limiting myself to the northeast...

pa, del, ct, ma, vt, nh. im from nyc but im not even gonna bother searching hard there...most of that is outside nyc. (nyc would be nice cuz i can live at home for a little while, stack paper, and gain that experience.) im reluctant to take a job ANYwhere (like omaha nebraska, or some middle of nowhere alabama town where people still on that jim crow steez).

i just talked to my friend who's been out of work for almost a yr from graduation. he had a few interviews, almost made RF engineer for ATT, but fell thru. he said the only bad thing i can do is give up. keep grinding on the job hunt, otherwise itll all be for nothing.

the job hunt gets old real quick tho
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

will be interning at nasa for the summer
pimp.gif
so glad i wont be working retail over the summer

o yeah, u jelly?
i want to work for nasa....but aint no rocket scientist
embarassed.gif

might be considering qutting my part time just to volunteer and gain experience for my future career...hope this works and that the system doesn't fail me
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by RawSheed

might be considering qutting my part time just to volunteer and gain experience for my future career...hope this works and that the system doesn't fail me
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Doing the same man. I'm banking on the system to learn and test things out for myself.

If you have a skill whether it be IT or great at writing, you can freelance while you're looking for work instead of sitting at home. Its not the money that you'd like but you are making money.

I got a job
sick.gif
 but i need a "real" job
mad.gif
 Working for a boss that doesn’t have a college degree when you do FTL
tired.gif

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

jhobson5 wrote:

For all the Engineers looking for work...Are you guys looking to stay in the city you are in???? Because I know for a fact that there are tons of Civil, and EE needed throughout the country. It man not be your ideal location but it get you the experince you need. Being an engineer its all about experience. The job may not be exactly what you want or where you want but you gain the experience and can go where you want down the road. I am from Denver, and took a job in Louisiana(worst job ever), but I gained the experienced I needed and when it came job hunting time I was able to go pretty much any where. So just keep looking, but I know there are EE jobs out there

QFMFT. 

I'M AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER AND THERE ARE TONS OF JOBS OUT THERE IF YOU EXPAND YOUR SEARCH NATIONWIDE WHICH IS WHAT I DID WHEN I GRADUATED. TOO MANY PEOPLE LOOKING TO BE IN "FUN" CITIES OR NOT MOVE FROM HOME BUT YOU ARE LIMITING YOURSELF THAT WAY. I ENDED UP FINDING ONE IN AKRON, OH, A PLACE I NEVER HEARD OF UNTIL GETTING THE JOB BUT THE PAY IS GREAT AND STANDARD OF LIVING IS CHEAP. HELL, I WOULD OF TAKEN A JOB IN ALASKA IF I HAD TO....

i have to admit i haven't really nationalized the job search as much as you'd think...i applied in cali a few times, but yea i have been limiting myself to the northeast...

pa, del, ct, ma, vt, nh. im from nyc but im not even gonna bother searching hard there...most of that is outside nyc. (nyc would be nice cuz i can live at home for a little while, stack paper, and gain that experience.) im reluctant to take a job ANYwhere (like omaha nebraska, or some middle of nowhere alabama town where people still on that jim crow steez).

i just talked to my friend who's been out of work for almost a yr from graduation. he had a few interviews, almost made RF engineer for ATT, but fell thru. he said the only bad thing i can do is give up. keep grinding on the job hunt, otherwise itll all be for nothing.

the job hunt gets old real quick tho
laugh.gif

UNFORTUNATELY, MOST ENGINEERING JOBS  FOR NEW GRADUATES ARE IN PLACES I WOULD CONSIDER MIDDLE OF NO WHERE JUST FOR THE SIMPLE FACT COMPANIES LIKE TO BUILD THEIR FACTORIES IN SMALLER CITIES. THEIR HEADQUARTERS ARE IN BIGGER CITIES. JUST HOW IT IS. YOU CAN ALWAYS GET ALL THE EXPERIENCE YOU NEED THEN MOVE, WHICH IS WHAT I'M DOING.

IN ORDER TO GET THOSE GOOD ENGINEERING JOBS COMING STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE IN THE "BIGGER" "FUN" CITIES YOU NEED TO EITHER BE GENIUS OR HAVE SERIOUS CONNECTIONS BECAUSE TONS OF PEOPLE ARE COMPETING FOR THOSE JOBS. ONCE YOU STACK YOUR EXPERIENCE, YOU CAN MOVE WHERE EVER YOU LIKE AND YOU WILL HAVE THE UPPER HAND BECAUSE YOU WILL BE IN DEMAND.

Hey everyone,

This thread is mad depressing. Keep your head up. I'm not sure if things will get any better, but you can't give up.

The news is filled with companies laying off more and more people everyday... take advantage of what you have. Also understand that EVERYONE is disposable. Always stay hungry, never let off the gas pedal...

I been a Technical Recruiter since 2007 when I graduated from college. Being a recruiter for awhile now so I talk to a lot of candidates looking for work, you just need to keep working hard and stay positive. Keep networking. Almost everyone lands positions because they know someone.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by abwowang

Hey everyone,

This thread is mad depressing. Keep your head up. I'm not sure if things will get any better, but you can't give up.

The news is filled with companies laying off more and more people everyday... take advantage of what you have. Also understand that EVERYONE is disposable. Always stay hungry, never let off the gas pedal...

I been a Technical Recruiter since 2007 when I graduated from college. Being a recruiter for awhile now so I talk to a lot of candidates looking for work, you just need to keep working hard and stay positive. Keep networking. Almost everyone lands positions because they know someone.

Good luck.
Hook me up. Trying to get into the IT field. Currently working on entry level certs.

laugh.gif
jk

im lucky my girl's aunt plugged me with a security job at Morgan Stanley earlier in the year.. hopefully i can keep this to get thru college. before that i was unemployed since last* January.

No job and no hope

feels like like they just will not give a brotha a J.O.B.

WITH -$200 in the bank ishh is getting real grimey

Bumped because im super down. I now have an Electrical Engineering Degree. But like most people in my graduating class, i got no job offers yet. really scared i may go a while before getting something. so eager to get my career started and start that new chapter in my life.

i don't like waking up in the morning knowing i have nothing to do or will have nothing to do in the future (for now).

misery loves a little company....any new grads with me on this?

nerd.gif

Sounds like a lot of ya'll with degrees weren't making the right moves in college. How many of you guys did internships and don't have work lined up?

didn't do an internship. but how much experience do u really gain from a 8 or 12 week internship? companies prolly wont train interns who are staying that short a period. so all you can walk out with is maybe office experience. getting an internship is one of the things i wish i did back in college, but i don't think its fair to assume im useless simply because i never had one.

sreggie101 wrote:
didn't do an internship. but how much experience do u really gain from a 8 or 12 week internship? companies prolly wont train interns who are staying that short a period. so all you can walk out with is maybe office experience. getting an internship is one of the things i wish i did back in college, but i don't think its fair to assume im useless simply because i never had one.
Your view is completely wrong. Its not the experienced gained an internship is basically an audition. I am a Mechnical Engineer and my internship and the company I interned with offered me a job 2 weeks after my internship was up in July. No one is saying you are useless, but from my experience 9 out of 10 people who intern with a company work for that company later. Its all about networking and showing you have a work ethic. That is why the interview process for an internship is so rigorous. They arent truly interviewing you for a temp position, they are seeing if you will work out in the long term.

And you having an EE degree, like i said before it shouldnt be too hard to find a job, it just may not be where you want to be. Every engineering discipline is in high demand these days. I know my plant site and a friend of mine's plant are seeking EE. So you have to continue to be proactive in your search, also make sure your resume is on point its a biggie as an engineer. Also, try Engineering placement agencies like Aerotek they, place a lot of new Engineers in jobs. Also, try your schools career center.

Originally Posted by CryingFreemancoa

No job and no hope

feels like like they just will not give a brotha a J.O.B.

WITH -$200 in the bank ishh is getting real grimey

my last 200$ left me 4 years ago, back in school and part time hustling
eyes.gif
gotta take care of my fam

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Bumped because im super down. I now have an Electrical Engineering Degree. But like most people in my graduating class, i got no job offers yet. really scared i may go a while before getting something. so eager to get my career started and start that new chapter in my life.

i don't like waking up in the morning knowing i have nothing to do or will have nothing to do in the future (for now).

misery loves a little company....any new grads with me on this?

nerd.gif

Do you have above a 3.0+? If so, you should have a job within 6 months if you play your cards right.

You're going to have to apply for the b.s. jobs in small cities, especially with no internship experience. No offense, but it's going to be difficult to get a job in Silicon Valley or a big city.
You got guys with 3.8s with work experience at Cisco, Texas Instruments, Exxon Mobil, etc shooting for the city jobs. I went to a top 5 engineering school and even here, most students ended up at small companies or remote locations for Fortune 500 companies. Very few are chilling in headquarters or have the Silicon Valley jobs.

I'd shoot for the small town, lock down the 50-60k/year and go from there.

You need to pay your dues in Corporate America.

P.S. I studied Electrical Engineering in college as well

Back
Top Bottom