Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

I guess your success on Indeed depends on your location.

When the end of my internship was nearing (about a month ago) I applied to at least 25 jobs on Indeed, and not one of them gave me a call back, and only one bothered to send me an email rejection. The rest I heard nothing from

All honesty if it weren't for my friend I would still be on Indeed being frustrated as ****. It doesn't help that my location pretty much requires you to be bilingual.

Last edited:

In general, it's a conflict of interest to have your current employer act as a reference.
When I read this it set off a huge red flag. This is a blatant conflict if interest and I've never heard of it being done. I know he said they loved him but I really have to question if it's true.
They who, my current employer or the interviewers?

Your current employers. If you're a good worker they would want you to stay and could give a bad reference to avoid negotiation and if you're a bad worker they would simply give you a bad reference. It's different if they know you're quitting and want the best for you (eg. working in an industry that doesn't compete with them)

In general, it's a conflict of interest to have your current employer act as a reference.
When I read this it set off a huge red flag. This is a blatant conflict if interest and I've never heard of it being done. I know he said they loved him but I really have to question if it's true.
Your current employers. If you're a good worker they would want you to stay and could give a bad reference to avoid negotiation and if you're a bad worker they would simply give you a bad reference. It's different if they know you're quitting and want the best for you (eg. working in an industry that doesn't compete with them)
True. I'm really not exaggerating but on my team I'm by far the best employee they have. I come in early, work late, etc etc etc, and I have dozens of emails that can speak to that and even a few voicemails that I could maybe find. Its not anything super brag worthy, but this reference situation was the last thing I expected, and they're going out of their way to talk to me about this promotion cause they were dying for me to take it.

I went and pulled all my performance reviews, annually and quarterly today, I'm gonna try and use those before I reach out to anyone as references here on out.

Real talk I wanna just quit, I'm not the least bit happy there and I cant look people in the fact anymore without getting upset, I have enough savings to pay my bills for a while, but I know quitting wouldnt make any sense I should just be glad I'm employed.

Real talk I wanna just quit, I'm not the least bit happy there and I cant look people in the fact anymore without getting upset, I have enough savings to pay my bills for a while, but I know quitting wouldnt make any sense I should just be glad I'm employed.
Don't quit, fam. As I mentioned in our convo, it's better to be employed and looking.

And @Wafflegeist is correct: most firms do not reach out to your current employer because it's really not the right thing to do and doesn't make sense at all. Too little upside, unlimited downside.

When the end of my internship was nearing (about a month ago) I applied to at least 25 jobs on Indeed, and not one of them gave me a call back, and only one bothered to send me an email rejection. The rest I heard nothing from

All honesty if it weren't for my friend I would still be on Indeed being frustrated as ****. It doesn't help that my location pretty much requires you to be bilingual.

where are you located? if you don't mind me asking(Ny?)

Last edited:

The people you interviewed with. Think about it. if they loved you, a tepid review from your current manager wouldn't matter. The whole calling your current employer thing is just weird

Don't quit, fam. As I mentioned in our convo, it's better to be employed and looking.

And @Wafflegeist is correct: most firms do not reach out to your current employer because it's really not the right thing to do and doesn't make sense at all. Too little upside, unlimited downside.
I really didnt want to lie and this was my first job out of school, my reference pool is severely limited, especially since they wanted two managerial references.
Anti what do you do?
I'm in Personal Wealth Management, I currently work in Operations but I'm going to a trading support role in May

The people you interviewed with. Think about it. if they loved you, a tepid review from your current manager wouldn't matter. The whole calling your current employer thing is just weird
They mentioned they wanted someone who knew a certain set of regulations that I've never worked with, which I'm sure had something to do with it, I'm just shocked at the reference as a principle thing. I would never do that to someone.

Chalk it to the game and keep your options open by applying everywhere. Take recruiter calls/interviews during your lunch hour. It seems like you're still in the clear with your current company. Lesson learned going forward: don't say anything to anybody.

I work in finance like you and I've never had this happen to me. My homies recruited for PE during their IB stints and the headhunters were super discreet about it (e.g. being very accommodating, scheduling interviews before 9AM, etc.). I asked them about your situation and they all texted back: "never had firms ask for current employer references / is this new firm legitimate?"

Im still applying on Indeed and the most I have receive was  some follow up email for more detail. I guess that is somewhat a plus
ohwell.gif

I did have a small company in DC that was looking to hire someone asap from the follow up email she sent but semester just started and couldnt change my classes to online

Has anyone on here gotten a job off of monster, indeed, LinkedIn, or Craigslist? I've been on these sites the last two week straight applying and haven't heard back anything :smh::frown:.

Last edited:
Those sites are such a crapshoot. Because the sites are so popular, the jobs you apply to on there will have been applied to by potentially hundreds of others.

I never got a job from applying on those sites. It was always through internal postings, (as in the organization's website) showing up in person, or employee referral

i got my current and previous job off of indeed just dont do the quick apply. always check the site for the job listing

Last edited:
Some quick advice I'd like to share:

If you're fortunate enough to have somebody reach out for you and put in a good word, please take this gesture seriously.

A few times I've done some people favors and have tried to assist them with landing something at my previous employer. Given that these people had NO industry experience/schooling etc., in this field (accounting/finance) you can imagine the singing & dancing I had to do to even get their resumes looked at, yet alone an interview.

I had one person flat out shoot down a very nice temp offer (after begging me that they'd take anything) only because it wasn't a full-time gig.

You make both yourself, and the person who did you a solid look like an *******.

There's nothing worse than making people who want to help you look bad. Good luck peeps!

Good advice dude one up

Also chick from my job just got a job doing water treatment in manhattan ks(I believe that is the city) making 60k off of applying for jobs on indeed. There jobs out there for you, it maybe the way you are searching for these jobs on indeed.

LinkedIn IMO can be hit or miss because it's so saturated with a lot of randomness.

It can be a hit because let's say you see a position you interested in, if you look up the hiring manager/director they might have mutual connects to someone you know who can possibly introduce you. Again, I refer back to what I said earlier about taking connections seriously.

Then again, that person can just be randomly connected/added randomly.

I also find the "endorsing" to be complete BS. How is my best friend who is in marketing, going to endorse me for Internal Controls and Auditing? :lol:

any NTers in the St. Louis or Boston area HMU for some full time gigs.

software company- fun culture.

PM me for details

I need some solid advice NT.

So I'm currently living in NYC, up until about a month ago I was working as a barback at a lounge ($500 a wk), paying for and going to art school, and doing odd job gigs on the side. I moved out here to get into art installations and fabrication. I've got pretty competitive skillsets in art fabrication and have really just buying time until a shop out here recognized me and scooped me up.

Anything I've gotten out here has been through a connection. The bar, the school, etc. A very close mentor of mine through school put in a very strong word for me with this fabrication company out in Red Hook a couple weeks ago for an BIG BIG installation that is going up in a major park out here next month. I ended up getting in on the project and demonstrated great work ethic and they want to keep me around in a sense. More so like a go-to freelance fabricator, so not necessarily on the team, but steady work 3 wks a month.

Anyways, the project was massive, and because of that another fabrication company out in Greenpoint came in a couple days last week and helped us push the project through. These guys were all my age, go getters, and I honestly got along and worked very well with them. The guys I was initially teamed up with were very lackluster and showed no urgency with the project, and it showed. Both parties started to have a sort of animosity towards each other, while I was kind of like the new guy on the block who really had no loyalties, just showed up and worked hard.

Now both companies want to keep me around, and I dont really know how to go about handling it. Part of me feels like I need to at least stick around for some time with the initial company as my mentor (who still does a lot of business with these guys) put me on with them, but at the same time, the other company is just a more solid fit. Ive never done freelance work so I kind of want to try and get in bed with both companies (they are kind of in different fields, one is prominent in museums, the other in scenic events and installs), but because there is a very obvious tension between the two parties, Im not really sure how open I should be about my work with either. Dont want to step on any toes and shoot myself in the foot.

Can any freelancers chime in on the unwritten rules of the business. Thanks NT

Have you reached out to your mentor and see what his thoughts are on this? Granted every industry is different, I'd hate to tell you do this & that without knowing the consequences of giving advice on a subject I know nothing about.

One thing though, having a great work environment can very well make your days work that much better.

One thing though, having a great work environment can very well make your days work that much better.

Extremely important man. I work in a environmental with older union people and @#$^ management and supervisor. It's
not something worth getting up for everyday. I'd run it by your mentor first to see what's up though. A heads up with people you are 100 with goes extremely far.

Last edited:
USAjobs.gov is another site you should check out

Every time I see a job from this site I auto skip. It's like they write descriptions for family friends to get a specific nitch job. They always have some ridiculous requirement that I don't have to weed people out.. Smfh

USAjobs.gov is another site you should check out

Every time I see a job from this site I auto skip. It's like they write descriptions for family friends to get a specific nitch job. They always have some ridiculous requirement that I don't have to weed people out.. Smfh
Yeah that's true but my
My boy who works at the Pentagon always ask if I have been applying from that site and that I need to make a federal resume.

Back
Top Bottom