Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Was unemployed for a year following graduation. Got my first PT gig making peanuts, but lord knows i was geeked when I got the offer seeing as how even interviews were hard to come by. That was 7 months ago, the opportunities to grow aren't there and I'm trying to move along but things are still moving at a snails pace. Any recommendations for blue collar FT jobs that pay ok? (Finance Background)

What are the requirements for advancement..can you post for another job at the same company after so many months???

If not u may have to look at other options outside of your company..unfortunately

What are the requirements for advancement..can you post for another job at the same company after so many months???

If not u may have to look at other options outside of your company..unfortunately

It's not so much the requirements but the lack of openings, I don't work for a company I work for a municipality (local government) and openings here and surrounding cities/towns don't open up all that often. I would prefer to move on from here since I don't feel as its an ideal fit (much younger than the majority of my coworkers) but it's a slow process.

It's not so much the requirements but the lack of openings, I don't work for a company I work for a municipality (local government) and openings here and surrounding cities/towns don't open up all that often. I would prefer to move on from here since I don't feel as its an ideal fit (much younger than the majority of my coworkers) but it's a slow process.

Govy job???

You got it good man..patience is a virtue..you have a pension..you are very lucky to work for a municipality..with tenure your salary will increase..and you will always have a job..stay there and work hard..it will eventually pay off..and it could open up more doors tailored to what you went to school for

Govy job???

You got it good man..patience is a virtue..you have a pension..you are very lucky to work for a municipality..with tenure your salary will increase..and you will always have a job..stay there and work hard..it will eventually pay off..and it could open up more doors tailored to what you went to school for

I don't have a pension tho, or benefits. The pay isn't good and there isn't enough hours to make a living (PT is limited to 1000 Hrs/Yr)

Stuck between a rock and a hard place :smh:

I don't have a pension tho, or benefits. The pay isn't good and there isn't enough hours to make a living (PT is limited to 1000 Hrs/Yr)

Stuck between a rock and a hard place :smh:

Apply for an internal full time gig..as long as there is opportunities..you can get there..real talk

^fed ex jipped me on my hours. Signed the contract they'll have operational needs right next to the hours they have for your shift. Some days I worked four hours some days 1 hour if it's not full time I'd stay away. Matter of fact I left sherwin for fed ex cause I thought it was better because I was making more hourly. Those 80 dollar checks said otherwise

Last edited:
Apply for an internal full time gig..as long as there is opportunities..you can get there..real talk

Thanks for the words of encouragement bro. Those not in it wouldn't know, but local government is a different beast when compared to the private sector. These are small tightknit communities (at least in my instance). Turnover is pretty much non existent. Once people get in they stay put.

I already happen to be in the finance department that would best allow me to use my education. The opportunity just isn't there and probably won't be for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the words of encouragement bro. Those not in it wouldn't know, but local government is a different beast when compared to the private sector. These are small tightknit communities (at least in my instance). Turnover is pretty much non existent. Once people get in they stay put.

I already happen to be in the finance department that would best allow me to use my education. The opportunity just isn't there and probably won't be for the foreseeable future.

For now just do ur job exceptionally well (exceed expectations) and everything will fall into place..don't be bitter or resentful..it will show in your performance..my company doesn't allow you to go for other positions for a year or maybe longer..but as long as you work..the doors will open..been at the same company almost 10 years..and extended work experience at a company looks great on a resume..think of the big picture..

Last edited:
@AF1Nike .... I definitely feel you as I spent a year (16 months) unemployed after grad school (gotta luv the recession SMH). You need to get a year under your belt at your current gig -- this removes the barrier to new opportunities that you are still a new grad and prone to leave the next time something catches your fancy. I found what worked for me (and many of my fellow grads) was freelancing/consulting. It allowed me to work on the skills developed during school and allowed me opprtunties to see where potential new gigs would open up. I work for a muni as well (NYC) so make sure there's no active conflict of interest issues with regards to freelancing. Getting a TIN is free from the IRS and starting a consultancy as a sole proprietor is fairly easy and can be done by self for most locales (usually an application).

Man. stuck in this part time retail gig. Only been there two months since I graduated, but already tired of it. Need to come up on something full time, ASAP.

Got a follo
Just received a verbal offer bros, feels goodman
pimp.gif
Congrats b. Where at?

So I spoke to a operation manager on the construction site I'm working on and he put me on how people get those jobs if they're not related to someone.

Basically go to your local union and tell them you wanna learn how to operate equipment and they'll sign you up for a 4 year program. After the first year the put you on sites with forklifts and bobcats and stuff like that and pay around $25/hr.

Not bad if you're willing to put in the time. Some of these guys make like $60/hr depending on what they use and one guy makes $100/hr operating a pile driving rig. It's easier than being a laborer so if you're interested you guys should look into it.

Thanks guys

it's at a Utility company, I'll be one of the safety guys in my city and surrounding areas. HR said they're willing to give me a shot regardless of my lack of experience because they believe that I can add a lot to the company and it's future. Almost shed a thug tear (prolly will in the car) hearing those words man, it's been 2 years since I've graduated from college and internship after internship has been exhausting.

Keep on grinding bros, it WILL pay off even when you think it won't. Looking for jobs is a parttime/fulltime job in itself but just keep reminding yourself that "You're a couple weeks away from a new job" eventually it'll be true.

Yo I have an interview tomorrow at a pretty small company but has solid pay. Had a phone interview a few weeks ago and this is an in-person interview. I screwed myself over though they asked me about salary and I told them I'd be comfortable with $40k (i only have like 3 months experience in the field) and I researched the avg salary at the company and its at least $60k. I feel like i lost all of my negotiating power. Any suggestions would be appreciated b

^ they might raise your salary. I wouldn't worry too much about it but if they lowball you can bring it up, but if they haven't said you'd be making 40k I wouldn't sweat it.

I had a phone interview today it was just preliminary and asked why I chose my major my strengths and weaknesses blah blah. Told me when they will be done selecting candidates for an in person interview, asked my availability for an in person interview and if my contact number was a solid number. Praying they offer me a spot

Back
Top Bottom