Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

To anyone who’s worked at AT&T, I know there was a few of you who work/ed there or interviewed, how did you answer the questionnaire? I chose mostly confident/optimistic choices.

Yea, true. I started out on Code Cademy before I found out about FCC. Does your city have a Gitter and/or Facebook group? My local group meets once a month for Code 'N Coffee to go over things and just get together to help others and learn new ways of completing things. The group is smaller so it's easy to get things answered if need be. That and Stack Overflow help also.

Haven't checked for a specific group in my area. I remember starting up FCC the help section mentioned the
local group meetings, I need to look into that and meetup's in my area.

Feels like i'm about to get fired from my current gig pretty soon :smh:

It's been hell for me to even get there & back since it's on the other side of town (3 buses plus a 3 mile walk x2) and they've been cutting hours for everyone periodically so i've been trying to get out for a while but it's been hard for me to even find time to apply and schedule interviews. i've also been making a lot of excuses for myself though and trying to change my mindset

Orlando's job market just hasn't been good to me since i moved, probably just going to apply to the local grocery stores/wal-marts and try to save up for a car so I don't have to trek across town on the bus to make decent pay.

u go to UMDCP, correct? if so, start interning in DC somewhere...if you feel you are too deep into the curriculum, than start getting exposure to other aspects that can go on a resume, not just from classes...maybe keep on with your current course work, but intern at the National Education Association or some other trade association/non profit to get exposure to the industry as a whole...
Yea I go to UMD. I currently work at UMD as well for the Division of IT where I repair computers. I just got Apple Certified (a certification needed in order to repair Apple computers) + a promotion to being a Student Lead Technician. So I hope thats a good look. I was once helping this customer (a professor) and he asked me if my major was computer science. I told him it was history and he was really impressed because he said it looks really good to have a diverse set of skills. 
ohwell.gif

I been thinking about learning how to code a little but im not too sure.

Mannn I have an interview tomorrow morning and I'm so absolutely shook.

I'm desperate to escape my 9-5 and actually get into the field I went to school for...and this job would constitute an awesome entry-level experience. My last interview they told me point blank before and during the interview that they were looking for someone with more experience, and I know I didn't get the job because of that sole fact.

I need tips...advice...common questions and answers...lol I'm hella nervous. I can't stick it out at my current job much longer
laugh.gif

Mannn I have an interview tomorrow morning and I'm so absolutely shook.

I'm desperate to escape my 9-5 and actually get into the field I went to school for...and this job would constitute an awesome entry-level experience. My last interview they told me point blank before and during the interview that they were looking for someone with more experience, and I know I didn't get the job because of that sole fact.

I need tips...advice...common questions and answers...lol I'm hella nervous. I can't stick it out at my current job much longer :lol:

You want to show your aptitude so questions around the industry you want to get in is best....What is the training process like - experiential and iterative or module based? How long has the team been together? And of course my fav is to ask a clarification question based off of something explained in the interview (it's not about getting an answer but showing you were listening and how you make sure you have clear and correct information before doing a task.

Yea I go to UMD. I currently work at UMD as well for the Division of IT where I repair computers. I just got Apple Certified (a certification needed in order to repair Apple computers) + a promotion to being a Student Lead Technician. So I hope thats a good look. I was once helping this customer (a professor) and he asked me if my major was computer science. I told him it was history and he was really impressed because he said it looks really good to have a diverse set of skills. :\  

I been thinking about learning how to code a little but im not too sure.

Prof is right a diversity of skills looks good in the marketplace and you can pick up basic coding for free on the cheap from code academy. Do something easy-ish like HTML5 .... Understanding web design coding is always a plus.

Hey NTers,

if you also want to send me resumes I'd be happy to look at them. I'm trying to get into HR/recruiting roles and want some practice and happy to give feedback as well.
feel free to PM me

Good luck everyone

Been interviewing with a company and finally got a verbal offer, which I accepted. Its what I orignally asked for but the HR lady really sounding like she wanted me to ask for more. I haven't received the official letter or signed anything so is there still room to negotiate? Anyone been in a similar situation or have some pointers?

I want to go back to get my MBA (within the next 2 years) and I just noticed that tuition increased by 20%. Is that something to bring up as a bargaining chip?

Been interviewing with a company and finally got a verbal offer, which I accepted. Its what I orignally asked for but the HR lady really sounding like she wanted me to ask for more. I haven't received the official letter or signed anything so is there still room to negotiate? Anyone been in a similar situation or have some pointers?

I want to go back to get my MBA (within the next 2 years) and I just noticed that tuition increased by 20%. Is that something to bring up as a bargaining chip?

Check out University of Illinois iMBA online, it's like $20,000 total

I would discourage going the iMBA route or even the eMBA route if you are going the MBA way with an advance degree. The iMBAis too new of a credential for any serious contention in the job market, the scope of the credential whittles down a very general credential (MBA) which the market is already saturated with.....your advance/graduate degree should be specific not broad in scope in order for you to gain leverage in the marketplace. Real talk the iMBA is not a credential the marketplace is crying
for instead it's something colleges/universities can market and ensure a ROI on its end.

Last edited:
Repped, thanks. U of I has a very solid business school and its hard to ignore that price.

I was able to renegotiate and got an extra 3k. The HR lady was cool. Said she wanted me to ask for more earlier. Its all good. Making 20% more than the last gig and this contract is much more stable. Blessed.

Keep grining yall and utilize your networks.

Mannnn I MURKED that mutha******* interview :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Feeling like Nas right after Ether dropped

Feeling like Drake right after Back to Back dropped

Feeling like Hov when he busted raw in Beyonce for the first time

Feeling like DA GAWD

I would discourage going the iMBA route or even the eMBA route if you are going the MBA way with an advance degree. The iMBAis too new of a credential for any serious contention in the job market, the scope of the credential whittles down a very general credential (MBA) which the market is already saturated with.....your advance/graduate degree should be specific not broad in scope in order for you to gain leverage in the marketplace. Real talk the iMBA is not a credential the marketplace is crying
for instead it's something colleges/universities can market and ensure a ROI on its end.

It's an option. According to the site it's a legitimate degree and won't be listed as an iMBA upon graduation. I definitely feel what you're saying though. Even if the credits could transfer to a more prominent MBA program, could save money.

Here's the link to anyone intrigued

iMBA

It's not official until you sign the offer letter. You can still negotiate but HR might say some **** like, "but I thought you agreed to blah blah blah.."

MBA isnt a bargaining chip until youve acquired the degree or are about to graduate

Last edited:
maybe i was unclear; I can help with resumes for money.

i run this consultancy full-time; it's my job.

answering questions is part of the service.

editing and formatting is the other part of the service.

if you are interested in my services, be prepared to send a payment through google wallet.

5-6-7 e-mails back and forth is taking advantage....

I always try to help NTers for the love, but i got groups of dudes hitting me for advice (and getting it) without compensation.

Only reason I even put it out there is cause mogs talmbout paying 700 for a resume.......
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

has anybody gotten resume help from him?

A few of us have, myself included. He really tidied up my resume and convinced me to write a cover letter which he then revised for me free of charge.

He’s legit. Great service.
Hmm, Ive never written a cover letter for any position Ive been offered. Even a hiring manager told me she doesnt look at them. I work in tech though so it may be different in other industries.

I didn't give in a cover letter for most of the jobs I've had, but those jobs didn't request one. If a job application has a section to put a cover letter I have always included it. Some people care and some don't, but a good cover letter certainly won't hurt your chances. If I were emailing a resume as the initial point of contact I would assume that I would have to put a cover letter in the body of the email.

From the hiring side I can say i have been in the situation of having a candidate or two with equal standing from the resume standpoint and I've used the cover letter to decide who gets the call for an interview.

From the space of looking for a job a cover letter can be an invaluable tool in tot over all package regardless of your sector. I have viewed it as away to not only sell the employer of my assets but also as away to lay the foundation for my value -- ie the salary negotiation.

From the hiring side I can say i have been in the situation of having a candidate or two with equal standing from the resume standpoint and I've used the cover letter to decide who gets the call for an interview.

From the space of looking for a job a cover letter can be an invaluable tool in tot over all package regardless of your sector. I have viewed it as away to not only sell the employer of my assets but also as away to lay the foundation for my value -- ie the salary negotiation.
You didnt bother bringing the other guy in for an interview because of a cover letter? An interview tells you a lot more about a candidate than a resume and cover letter combined

Last edited:
You didnt bother bringing the other guy in for an interview because of a cover letter? An interview tells you a lot more about a candidate than a resume and cover letter combined

Nah.... I had two evenly matched candidates by resume standards and only 1 slot left for an interview. I went for the cover letters of the candidates and used the cover letters to decide who I would call for the interview. I was looking to see how the candidates communicated within the cover letter, how they constructed thier thoughts, and any ancillary information that would differentiate the candidates.

EDIT: yes an interview can tell you a lot about a candidate but as we know not every qualified candidate can be called in for an interview and every opening has multiple (many) highly qualified candidates so the tools (resume, cover letter, portfolio samples) used need to be leveraged to ensure you get to the interview.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom