Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Does anyone here have business analyst experience? If so share some pointers ... What are ya thoughts on a pocket square (solid blue) for an interview?
What does the role entail? Business Analyst can mean anything, ime.

No pocket squares. You're bottom of the rung at this point. Go simple and clean with a navy or charcoal suit, blue or white dress shirt, non-gaudy tie, and black leather shoes.

Last edited:
slighted slighted The role of a business analyst is to establish the business requirements as per the owners/management/client and then connect with other departments such as IT to then fulfill the functional requirements according to the plan that was set forth. Following through along the development of the business plan which is called the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC), communicating and filling in any gaps and if all works well the plan should make for a successful project.

Gonna ditch the pocket square. Been getting mixed reviews. Grey suit - plaid shirt - blue tie - brown oxford shoes - and a black leather portfolio work folder to carry an extra resume and notes just to brief on the way to the interview. Fresh haircut the night before. More research and practicing on interview questions til the morning of.

Last edited:
Well, start my job at Capital One next Monday, however I just received an invite to a group interview for a sales position with the Washington Nationals. Gonna do that on Wednesday as I've got experience in sports and sales. Hopefully something comes of it, things looking up.
Where you at in the DMV? My girl just started at Capital One yesterday too.

I work for Dow Chemicals who you may know just merged with Dupont. Dupont has confirmed some layoffs, Dow hasnt confirmed anything yet, but it definitely is something in the back of my mind. Being the youngest in my department and one of the youngest on site makes me a but less worried though. Hope I dont really have to join this thread soon.

Where you at in the DMV? My girl just started at Capital One yesterday too.

I work for Dow Chemicals who you may know just merged with Dupont. Dupont has confirmed some layoffs, Dow hasnt confirmed anything yet, but it definitely is something in the back of my mind. Being the youngest in my department and one of the youngest on site makes me a but less worried though. Hope I dont really have to join this thread soon.

I'll be working at the Colesville branch, but doing training in Laurel the next couple of weeks.

Good luck with the merger as those can be tough on all employees. I have a lot of friends who work for Dow up in Michigan, and they're all feeling the same as you in regards to the merger.

Anybody ever work for CSX or Norfolk Southern? I keep getting rejected and would like some insight into why.

Finally finished up my bach...the calls are coming in...but idk if I want to leave my company for more money with another company simply because they will pay for my grad school 100%
mean.gif
 I have the opportunity to move up in the company after I finish my year in this spot.

Last edited:
Depending on the pay difference I would go with the company that's paying for the grad school.

But don't miss out on money also

Paying for grad school is compensation. Your compensation extends far beyond how much you take home every check. Tuition reimbursement, 401k matching, health benefits, these are all forms of supplemental compensation.

Last company iIworked for offered tuition reimbursement from day one and their retention period was only one year. I should have taken advantage of that. Young and lack of foresight

Last edited:
Paying for grad school is compensation. Your compensation extends far beyond how much you take home every check. Tuition reimbursement, 401k matching, health benefits, these are all forms of supplemental compensation.

Last company iIworked for offered tuition reimbursement from day one and their retention period was only one year. I should have taken advantage of that. Young and lack of foresight
Now you're killing it for one of the most prominent companies in the world.

If you're young, building your career > worrying about odds and ends. Work hard, build your network and reputation, and everything else will most likely fall into place.

^think I'll take you guy's adice...the new gig would pay double of what I'm making now...but this company I currently work for is the most dominant employer in my whole state and there's def room to grow I just have to finish this year out...the potential company I'm looking at has horrible glass door ratings too.

Since my most recent post, I've been getting some activity. Job interview on Thursday, not sure for which position (e-mailed the company for details) but I'm thinking analyst since that is what's on my CV. Been researching the position and job responsibilities. Headed to get a suit at Men's Warehouse (weekend sale) just in case. Wish me luck!

Any info on business analyst and tips for the interview would be appreciated.

Update: Had the interview today. Interview was smooth. Not too nerve racking. Obviously there is some job experience they were seeking that I may not have right away but they seemed to be okay with that. Was given a business card at the end of the meeting and said they would contact me if anything. Sent a thank you e-mail to the interviewer and recruiter. Gonna wait til after the Christmas holiday to follow thru if I don't hear anything. Wish me luck once again!

Update: Had the interview today. Interview was smooth. Not too nerve racking. Obviously there is some job experience they were seeking that I may not have right away but they seemed to be okay with that. Was given a business card at the end of the meeting and said they would contact me if anything. Sent a thank you e-mail to the interviewer and recruiter. Gonna wait til after the Christmas holiday to follow thru if I don't hear anything. Wish me luck once again!

What city you in?

luckyluchiano luckyluchiano Yes. Very interested in relocating. Where are you based?

My BA is in Economics. And the majority of my experience has been in the healthcare finance/accounting sector. Looking to become a supervisor in my near future.

thoughts on fee for service jobs (therapist)? Offered one but likely no benefits and have to recruit my own clients.

Thoughts of applying to a better position in the same organization after 2 months of working here? Basically The position I have now only requires an associate but the other position requires a bachelor which I have. Is 7K more salary. Is it too early or should I go for it?

Thoughts of applying to a better position in the same organization after 2 months of working here? Basically The position I have now only requires an associate but the other position requires a bachelor which I have. Is 7K more salary. Is it too early or should I go for it?
same company??? most places require at least 6 months before transferring..u may need to wait this out..might not look good only 2 months in

The other team is gonna wonder why you're applying to their group when you've only been there for 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom