Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Tomorrow on my interview if they bring it up. Should I say that Ive looked into it and 25k is really low for me in my position and that I am interested in getting $xxx amount?

You wildin.....

You mean $25 an HOUR....I hope not 25K annually?

Because $25K annually was only acceptable in like 1980.

Tomorrow on my interview if they bring it up. Should I say that Ive looked into it and 25k is really low for me in my position and that I am interested in getting $xxx amount?
Don't broach the topic unless they ask you.

The go-to response is "market rate."

You wildin.....

You mean $25 an HOUR....I hope not 25K annually?

Because $25K annually was only acceptable in like 1980.

Annually. I'll admit I thought that was reasonable. I guess cause I was underpaid a lot of the time for doing my work. But even then I was still in college

Don't broach the topic unless they ask you.

The go-to response is "market rate."

Got it

25k at 40 hours a week is basically 12/hour. That's barely above min wage in NYC.

When I started my first real job at 23 in DC, even with minimal experience I got 45k plus OT. I know you probably really want the job, but don't play yourself when it comes to salary, especially in a high cost area.

25k at 40 hours a week is basically 12/hour. That's barely above min wage in NYC.

When I started my first real job at 23 in DC, even with minimal experience I got 45k plus OT. I know you probably really want the job, but don't play yourself when it comes to salary, especially in a high cost area.

That's how much I was making at my project management job. Now that u mention it, I thought it was low af and wanted more bread

I had 40hours a week and ot every day after 8 hours passed. If anything I can say 35k

Would Rather go a bit higher and then negotiate if there's any static

Just murked this interview

They wanted to know if i can update websites and such (everything else I can do no problem)

But it shouldn't be too hard. Just a little updating and stuff like that

Soon as I left I sent a thank you email. Omw home now. Gonna apply to other stuff in the mean time

They wanted to know if i can update websites and such (everything else I can do no problem)

Soon as I left I sent a thank you email. Omw home now. Gonna apply to other stuff in the mean time
Keep moving forward. Apply everywhere. Slay wherever the opportunity arises.

You'll find something. Trust me on this; I was unemployed for almost a year.

We got this. We both about to get them offer letters

Last edited:
That's how much I was making at my project management job. Now that u mention it, I thought it was low af and wanted more bread

I had 40hours a week and ot every day after 8 hours passed. If anything I can say 35k

Would Rather go a bit higher and then negotiate if there's any static

Curious, do you look at Glassdoor.com? Companies like to get you for the bare minimum, you have to actively research the median salary based on your location, experience and education. Once you get that number, you have every right to ask and demand it.... Or look elsewhere.

As a Project Manager, you are severely underpaid.

Curious, do you look at Glassdoor.com? Companies like to get you for the bare minimum, you have to actively research the median salary based on your location, experience and education. Once you get that number, you have every right to ask and demand it.... Or look elsewhere.

As a Project Manager, you are severely underpaid.

Tell me about it. And that wasn't even in my field. Keep in mind I have clients like Eddie Bauer. Tom Ford. Rubbermaid etc

When I tols my boss I had found another job (the one I eventually got laid off from) he's like oh ill give you a raise if you stay. I was entitled to a raise after a certain time anyways smh

But imma check out glass door right now

Any contract jobs about 4 years or so long that would relocate me outside of the country available? :nerd:

Hit my pm asap.

PLEASE RESPOND.

Last edited:
Update...I never heard from the guy again but I just called the Recruiter that I originally had the phone interview with. He told me he believes an offer was mad to another person and I should have gotten notified. Kinda bummed but gonna just grind and keep pushing. Crazy because I have MBA, experience, and overall I work my ***** off. Hopefully something comes my way soon

How did you all really figure out what you wanted to do for a career?

I was laid off from a job I loved a little over a year ago. I haven't found anything since and have been doing things like uber and little jobs to try and get by, hoping my old job recalls me.

I have such an issue with moving forward and possibly having to switch careers. The job I got laid off from was probably the only job I actually enjoyed.

A. what's a good way to make decent money temporarily?

B. how do you figure out an ideal career based on your personality, skills, etc?

How did you all really figure out what you wanted to do for a career?

I was laid off from a job I loved a little over a year ago. I haven't found anything since and have been doing things like uber and little jobs to try and get by, hoping my old job recalls me.

I have such an issue with moving forward and possibly having to switch careers. The job I got laid off from was probably the only job I actually enjoyed.

A. what's a good way to make decent money temporarily?

B. how do you figure out an ideal career based on your personality, skills, etc?
48days.com

It's cloaked in a bunch of Christian theology, but there's a lot of good info in there. Not sure it'll answer the question, but lots of good exercises. 

Timeline:
August 2015: Lost a union position; been there for 6 years with the best health benefits.
August 2015-February 2016: Collected unemployment, searched desperately for a job.
February 2016: A good friend from college comes through in the final weeks of unemployment and gets me a job in another state - traveling 1 1/2 hours each way but I was thankful.
September 2016: The commute is too much - I decide to resign. I get a call about a job closer to the crib not a day later. (Thank God)
November 2016: It was a temp to perm position; I don't get the perm position.
Present Day: I have four decent jobs lined up nothing life altering but after the journey I've just described - trust me I appreciate each opportunity.

Advice: 1. Never burn your bridges. 2. Keep a good resume on deck (you feel good about sending a nice resume, it gives you motivation). 3. Be resourceful. 4. Don't be afraid to take a step-back in your career - you obviously are searching for a job because you've been knocked down; it's okay learn to crawl again. 5. LinkedIn, Indeed, SnagAJob, Wonolo, social media, etc. were major keys. 6. Follow thru - if you apply for a position call and see where the company is at in the hiring process. 7. Take the time off to improve your mindset - gotta stay positive especially during tough times. Also, while you aren't working get a certification - do something to add to your skill set.

*And trust me these were all rough transitions.
*If you have a degree you are hireable (don't listen to the naysayers).
*KEEP GRINDIN'
*If you need anymore advice drop me a msg.

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts ^

The past year has been rough. I didn't think losing a job would lead to legit emotional distress, but damn. I don't have a family either. That's the one upside. I don't have other mouths to feed.

I've had to crib with the rentals to try and keep expenses down and maintain some of my savings (which isn't a lot).

I'm just trying to stay positive. I've been reading books with the "YOLO" message, "The Last Lecture," "Tuesdays with Morrie," etc to talk me off the ledge metaphorically speaking. I put so much pressure on myself and I thought that after 14 months of being unemployed I'd be back on my feet by now.

I don't want to sound like a crybaby because 99% of the world probably has it worse than me. I just look around at my friends and family and they are all thriving. Probably not a good habit to get into, comparing myself to others.

Thanks for the posts ^

The past year has been rough. I didn't think losing a job would lead to legit emotional distress, but damn. I don't have a family either. That's the one upside. I don't have other mouths to feed.

I've had to crib with the rentals to try and keep expenses down and maintain some of my savings (which isn't a lot).

I'm just trying to stay positive. I've been reading books with the "YOLO" message, "The Last Lecture," "Tuesdays with Morrie," etc to talk me off the ledge metaphorically speaking. I put so much pressure on myself and I thought that after 14 months of being unemployed I'd be back on my feet by now.

I don't want to sound like a crybaby because 99% of the world probably has it worse than me. I just look around at my friends and family and they are all thriving. Probably not a good habit to get into, comparing myself to others.

That's how I feel

It makes me legit wanna join the army if I don't find anything by December

Back
Top Bottom