Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Originally Posted by patent leather

Originally Posted by youngcurse

Long story made short i quit my warehouse job paying $16/hr all just to go back to school. All the older folks there kept telling me" young man this isnt something that you wanna do forever, get your education".I quit and enrolled in PGCC and now just got accepted in Bowie State University. Now with only having general labor/warehouse experience im trying to intern and improve my experience in hopes of landing a admin/clerical position.Now that things are getting rough im looking to start working again but definitely not in the warehouse feild.What entry level positions are available for guys like me?
I thought I was alone....I am EXACTLY on the same boat.  Still have my warehouse job though which I plan to quit within the next couple weeks.  As much as I hate this job, the job security has kept me from resigning.  I am willing to take the risk now though so I can start my career since my 7 years of warehouse experience is very USELESS.  Recently landed an internship that starts on Friday, so hopefully this will be a great start to a new path.

Was your warehouse job full-time, preventing you from keeping the job AND going to school?  Also, what's your major and what field are you looking to target?

Yes the job was fulltime(1PM- 2AM) and i miss them cheques but i saved a good amount but with monthly bills and a sneaker addiction im starting to get a little worried. My major is Business Admin w/ a Concentration in Management and i would just like to gain some experience first before i target anything.

If anyone has any info on jobs in Houston I'd appreciate it. I have a marketing degree btw

Originally Posted by JRAdagreat72

Hello Fellow Jobless NT'ers.

After getting reject more times than I can even count, I finally got two upcoming opportunities:

1. AT&T's leadership development program. Relocate to ATL, paid training, guaranteed job, etc. Interview next wed.

2. Staples. Business development Associate. dunno what the hell that is, but I applied since I have a degree now. Phone call to discuss opportunity on friday.

Let's see how these things play out.

Good luck to all still searching, have upcoming interviews or recently got on with a gig.

i pm'd you

Hello Fellow Jobless NT'ers.

After getting reject more times than I can even count, I finally got two upcoming opportunities:

1. AT&T's leadership development program. Relocate to ATL, paid training, guaranteed job, etc. Interview next wed.

2. Staples. Business development Associate. dunno what the hell that is, but I applied since I have a degree now. Phone call to discuss opportunity on friday.

Let's see how these things play out.

Good luck to all still searching, have upcoming interviews or recently got on with a gig.
I interviewed for 4 months for that ATT gig, first 2 interviews were gravy, then I made it to the last interview with dude that ran the program and it was
indifferent.gif
. First off they keep rescheduling the stuff had me missing class and stuff. Then when it came time for the interview I get there an hour early, and I call dude 15 min before the interview to find out which lobby to go to and inform him I`m there as instructed and dude doesnt answer his phone and I leave a message , so 5 min past interview time he calls me saying he had was on a conference call and said sorry, but I was still waiting outside the building because I didnt know which floor to go on and he ask where was I. So I come in and whole interview dude is checking email and playing on his phone, not taking any notes and pretty much just chilling. I`m glad I didnt get the gig though honestly.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Anyone Work At Best buy? I want to apply to a Geek Squad Supervisor position, but I see a million openings everywhere and I`m assuming thats like a glitch lol.

this. i think best buy either doesnt update their systems or its glitched. i applied for Product Process Associate Job...which from my understanding is ust stock, but i applied weeks ago havent heard anything(no generic email,no call)  and all the positions still seem to be available
30t6p3b.gif

I interviewed for 4 months for that ATT gig, first 2 interviews were gravy, then I made it to the last interview with dude that ran the program and it was
indifferent.gif
. First off they keep rescheduling the stuff had me missing class and stuff. Then when it came time for the interview I get there an hour early, and I call dude 15 min before the interview to find out which lobby to go to and inform him I`m there as instructed and dude doesnt answer his phone and I leave a message , so 5 min past interview time he calls me saying he had was on a conference call and said sorry, but I was still waiting outside the building because I didnt know which floor to go on and he ask where was I. So I come in and whole interview dude is checking email and playing on his phone, not taking any notes and pretty much just chilling. I`m glad I didnt get the gig though honestly.

sick.gif
indifferent.gif

I swear, if this is how my experience goes.....I'll haz teh sadz 
frown.gif

No but for real, any pointers on the 1st two interviews?

I just might have a lil bit of luck. I previously worked at Gap during the school year and was supposed to get transferred so I can have a summer job but the location I wanted to transfer to never seems to cooperate to complete the process. So last week I called a different GAP location and left a message for the store manager and she called me back yesterday and told me what I needed to do in order to work there as a sales associate. But I noticed a few other locations (downtown NYC) have positions available for overnight stock. I was wondering if it would be best to call those locations and see if I can get transferred there instead, and still continue to find a day job, or should I just take the sales associate job from the manager that called me. (Sales associates usually get 4hr shifts btw)

Originally Posted by youngcurse

Long story made short i quit my warehouse job paying $16/hr all just to go back to school. All the older folks there kept telling me" young man this isnt something that you wanna do forever, get your education".I quit and enrolled in PGCC and now just got accepted in Bowie State University. Now with only having general labor/warehouse experience im trying to intern and improve my experience in hopes of landing a admin/clerical position.Now that things are getting rough im looking to start working again but definitely not in the warehouse feild.What entry level positions are available for guys like me?

Hey you are doing a good thing keep it up.

Man I took a few months off after I lost my job to focus on creatives (aspiring music video director) but now i'm on my last bit of savings. I'm in the middle of pre-production for a music video, which seems to be going really well, but I need money for next months rent and this months food. Fffffuuuuuuuu

Screw it I'm going to atleast send some resumes and see where it goes. I don't want to mess up my energy and time with these projects I have though..

Applying for this job with the Pentagon as a Photographer. 62,000-81,000.

Hopefully this family friend can put in a good word for me.

indifferent.gif

sick.gif
indifferent.gif

frown.gif

All 3 interviews they asked the same questions, as long as you have been involved on Campus and Worked before you should be good.
Thing is I have Retail AND Direct Wireless Experience, the whole time my recruiter was nice and use to stay in contact, and even use to apologize about the rescheduling of interviews after I already took off work and missed class to drive home to Atlanta, but after my last interview they instantly sent generic email saying (Thank you for interviewing but you were not selected"  I was like
eek.gif
indifferent.gif

Since then I've had a bad taste for ATT. I just got an offer from Verizon so I think it was God looking out for me. And you HAVE To interview with the guy I had my 3rd interview with because he runs the program. The only thing I could think of is that dude saw I was a Computer Information Systems major and knew I wasnt trying to be a manager all my life, because I was really doing it for my resume and to get my foot in the company and have them pay for Grad school.

my first 2 interviews I had the people smiling and laughing and showing emotion, while the other dude was
indifferent.gif
the whole time.

sick.gif
indifferent.gif

frown.gif

All 3 interviews they asked the same questions, as long as you have been involved on Campus and Worked before you should be good.
Thing is I have Retail AND Direct Wireless Experience, the whole time my recruiter was nice and use to stay in contact, and even use to apologize about the rescheduling of interviews after I already took off work and missed class to drive home to Atlanta, but after my last interview they instantly sent generic email saying (Thank you for interviewing but you were not selected"  I was like
eek.gif
indifferent.gif

Since then I've had a bad taste for ATT. I just got an offer from Verizon so I think it was God looking out for me. And you HAVE To interview with the guy I had my 3rd interview with because he runs the program. The only thing I could think of is that dude saw I was a Computer Information Systems major and knew I wasnt trying to be a manager all my life, because I was really doing it for my resume and to get my foot in the company and have them pay for Grad school.

my first 2 interviews I had the people smiling and laughing and showing emotion, while the other dude was
indifferent.gif
the whole time.
Damn like that? yeah I guess it wasn't in the cards at the time....but hey at least you on with verizon. 
Same type of program? 

I had a phone interview for the at&t retail leadership program today..alotta questions about past work and school experiences, I thought it went well they said they will let me know next week...I'm praying I get it..

Any good sites to check backgrounds on companies? Got a message to schedule an interview with a company called IC International Group. Sounds kind of fishy. Google them, but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by asianplayer

Any good sites to check backgrounds on companies? Got a message to schedule an interview with a company called IC International Group. Sounds kind of fishy. Google them, but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions?

Its probably a new company.  You should call the HR and as him/her about the company, interview process, and any other questions.  Don't be scared... I do it all the time even when I don't have an interview setup.

Also, if they don't have a HR then just be really prepared for the interview.  Most new companies will hire the first real good person they meet.

The company I work for now is fairly new >1 year old.. and didn't get a HR until 2 months ago.  Also, from the title.. it sounds like a logistics company you may be interviewing with.

Good luck and remember to be receptive during the interview.. take a proactive approach ala ask many questions... like you're trying to screen them, not the other way around.

Hey if NT gets in these programs, free business clouds and ip4s for everyone!
nerd.gif

lol jk good looks though stunna.

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Sounds like a solid job man......goodluck with the clearance process though.

Anyone have any suggestions about phone interviews, have one scheduled for Monday.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Sounds like a solid job man......goodluck with the clearance process though.

what's the clearance process?

Well it's Friday. After the 2nd interview I had on Monday, the supervisor shakes my hand and was like "I'll have a decision by wednesday".

Anyway Wednesday came and i'm running circles in my head because of no contact...I get on the website's career section and you won't believe this %*% man... Monday...they reposted the same job to expire in three days (Which was yesterday).
tired.gif
I'm so frustrated man! Anyway, that wednesday I'm on the internet like crazy trying to find the supervisor's email ...I find it and send her a "thanks for the interview...im the right candidate...any further information needed feel free to call me blah blah" and she writes me back saying:

"I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I didn't quite get
> everything wrapped up as soon as I thought i would. I have one more
> interview tomorrow so I hope to have a final decision made no later
> than Monday.
>
> Thank you."

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
Might as well have hit her with a "kthxbye".

Also Im in need of some advice just in case I get passed over for this job ...i don't want to make the same mistakes twice.

I work about 30 hours out at a FedEx hub at night so it's a parttime job. I use to be in a leadership position (Ramp Agent for those familiar) but quit because they cut back on those hours and I was doing like 20hrs a week
tired.gif
I was still in school at the time getting my AS, and I was paying my tuition as well as living expenses on that little a__ check (tuition reimbursement ftw)...but just couldn't afford both so I got a FT job at Sysco foods and quit FedEx. It was a warehouse job making great $$$ but I dreaded going in everyday because I worked crazy hours in a freezer...plus it was interfering with my school schedule (I would work 6 pm to like 8 am sometimes and I would miss my classes). Anyway...I quit, and since my boss at FedEx loved me...he put in a great word to get me back on.

Anyway...This job that I'm after is a day time PT job (1-8 pm) that's administrative but has a warehouse foundation. I have all the skills for the job on a clerical level, plus warehouse experience that many admin/clerical probably wouldn't have. I graduate this coming fall (put that on my resume as well) and I kinda feel like it was the wrong move.

So I'm asking yall...if all im after is a PT job:

1. Should I lay back on putting my school credentials on my resume? Act like I don't have school going on as well?
2. Do you think companies expect people to actually view their PT job like a FT job? Like seriously...they expect people to put all their attention on one PT job and live off that? So don't mention FedEx?

3. Do you think I should tell the next company that I plan on quitting my other job just so they will feel more secure?

I swear...it's the one's who grind, do everything right, and who actually want to work that get the cold shower treatment.

Originally Posted by 4Shoposite

Also Im in need of some advice just in case I get passed over for this job ...i don't want to make the same mistakes twice.

I work about 30 hours out at a FedEx hub at night so it's a parttime job. I use to be in a leadership position (Ramp Agent for those familiar) but quit because they cut back on those hours and I was doing like 20hrs a week
tired.gif
I was still in school at the time getting my AS, and I was paying my tuition as well as living expenses on that little a__ check (tuition reimbursement ftw)...but just couldn't afford both so I got a FT job at Sysco foods and quit FedEx. It was a warehouse job making great $$$ but I dreaded going in everyday because I worked crazy hours in a freezer...plus it was interfering with my school schedule (I would work 6 pm to like 8 am sometimes and I would miss my classes). Anyway...I quit, and since my boss at FedEx loved me...he put in a great word to get me back on.

Anyway...This job that I'm after is a day time PT job (1-8 pm) that's administrative but has a warehouse foundation. I have all the skills for the job on a clerical level, plus warehouse experience that many admin/clerical probably wouldn't have. I graduate this coming fall (put that on my resume as well) and I kinda feel like it was the wrong move.

So I'm asking yall...if all im after is a PT job:

1. Should I lay back on putting my school credentials on my resume? Act like I don't have school going on as well?
2. Do you think companies expect people to actually view their PT job like a FT job? Like seriously...they expect people to put all their attention on one PT job and live off that? So don't mention FedEx?

3. Do you think I should tell the next company that I plan on quitting my other job just so they will feel more secure?

I swear...it's the one's who grind, do everything right, and who actually want to work that get the cold shower treatment.

Generally when you apply for a PT job.. the person interviewing you should/would assume you're looking for supplemental income (there are other possible reasons).

1. Put down your school.. tell them you'll be graduating further down the road if it makes you feel better.
2. Yes, they want you to be able to add value to their company whether you're working PT or FT.  Reality is the interviewer won't gaf whether you do or don't once you're hired.
3. I wouldn't because it might make you look not loyal.  I would tell them that your goal is to work for them FT so you can focus all your effort in adding value to their buziness.

Back
Top Bottom