Just sent off for my passport. Vol. International Baller/Travel Thread 2.0

I'm always surprised hearing that alot of Americans dont have passports.. whats the reason for this?

American's probably don't travel outside the country because:
1) Compared to other countries, we have far fewer days off for PTO/holiday
2) Proximity to other countries versus that of Europe
3) No other viable travel system aside from air.

As for my self, when I got my passport it was for my honeymoon.

Been to:
Greece - Santorini, Crete and Athens (didn't really enjoy it, but figured as much). Will probably go back to both Santorini/Crete for our 10 yr. LONG travel from San Francisco though.
Italy - Rome (similar to Athens), Florence (loved), Lucca (underrated), Sienna (awesome as well), Lake Como.
Switzerland - Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen
Costa Rica - Manuel Antonio

Switzerland was real nice, but man, expensive.

Summed it up perfectly. You can go to Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, etc. fairly easily, but if you want to go to Europe, Asia, Africa, that's a hefty plane ticket right up front. So like LazyJ explained, combine the high cost, not a lot of travel time, and then throw in a bit of American "We're the best who cares about the rest" and that's probably why.

As for myself, I've been to the Caribbean, Mexico, Jamaica, then in Europe.... Nice (France), Barcelona, Santorini, Athens, Naples, Rome, Venice, Florence.

Still want to keep traveling, but I haven't made any plans any time soon. Africa is a must visit, then China, Japan, and then England is a must... I HAVE to see some soccer live in person there.

Unfortunately, many Americans simply don't have the funds, the desire, and the ability to travel. And if you do travel, it's somewhere in the US which is completely understandable. But if you've got the ability... whether it be in college with study abroad.. or perhaps your company has a chance to move you overseas.. or if you just have the money and time.. please, please travel abroad. You'll rarely hear people say "I completely regret those two weeks I spent in Rome and Paris" :lol: or That week in the beach in Jamaica was just awful :lol:

It's an incredible thing to see and experience other cultures, peoples, way of life, and so on.

Last edited:

Freshly 29
Got my passport when I was 23, it sat for a year. Went to Jamaica with my pops in 2009 for 2 weeks,

Spent Spring break 2010 in London/Paris for 10 days (most amazing time EVER)

Went back to Jamaica (Negril) by myself for 3 weeks in summer 2010 (rainy season, monsoons everyday but still a good time)

Finally decided that i wasn't about this American life any more by August 2010, I was signed up for a 5 month study abroad program in Morocco. Flew into London, chilled for a couple days, flew down to southern Spain for a week chilled, then met my study abroad group and chilled for another week in southern Spain. Took a ferry to Morocco and during that 5 months I traveled throughout Morocco and took weekend trips to a handful of European countries. 

About mid way through my Moroccan stay, I decided that i never wanted to come back to the U.S, and see the inside of an American classroom again. So, I signed up for another study abroad in Northern France, that lasted a semester and by miracle I got my academic adviser to extend it another semester. (all on the GOVT/Uni dime) By the 2nd semester in France, I was considered a French student, so my tutition was "in-house" $300 per semester. I still got my full financial packaged thru my American University, so I got rouchl $10.5k financial package deposited into my checking account 2 weeks before my French semester started.  

With that I was able to "ball-out" weekend trips to Amsterdam, a month in Easter Europe here, 2 weeks in Paris there.

By the 3rd semester in France, my University decided they weren't gonna "fund" me anymore, even though, the experiences I was gaining we're 10x greater than anything they could've provided. I only needed 1 class to graduate, I left August 2010 with 86 credits and came back July 2013 with 150+, all paid for by my University.

This may be completely off topic lol, but getting my passport (and using it) was the greatest thing I've done in my life. 20 countries in, countless exotic women taken down, hundreds of incredible people met and a degree with international experience to boot. As a black American, Europe is Heavenly playground, we are simply the most exotic creatures over there, because we don't travel.

The worst thing I did was come back.
Bruh any tips on slaying the European Yambs? Trying to get it in while I'm there.
Basically, be yourself. I believe that I am cool and hip and that helped quite a bit, the fact that I was 25 when I left, I had already "found" my self in a way that my 18-22 yr old counterparts/peers hadn't. I didn't need a clique as most kids did when I went over there, and I wasn't there to make friends with other Americans. I went for the soul purpose of learning French, traveling and taking in as much culture, languages, food, women, experiences as one man could. I accomplished just that, well i actually obliterated all expectations I left with, except finagling a way to stay forever, I guess 2+ years is enough for now.

Back to the women, tho. My first trip to London/Paris was on a whim, I booked the flight without even having a place to stay. Eventually I booked a room in a 800 bed hostel in central London with a huge bar/club at the bottom that stayed open all night. I was a bit naive to the "hook-up" culture in hostels, backpacking and traveling. Pretty much, if you're young, hip, and remotely attractive, you could get laid every night of the week in this atmosphere. And by laid, I mean, you could have 3 different chicks from 3 different countries within a 24 hour period, when you play your cards right. Obviously on my first trip, I was not about that international yamb life. BUT, I think in the span of the first 4 days in that hostel, I made out with a handful of chicks and left with plenty of juicy stories, just a precursor to the next two years.

After that taste, I knew I had to make it abroad for an extended period of time. That's when I applied to study abroad. So, take this scenario. Pack 27 American students 23 girls, 4 guys into a "3rd world" country for 5 months. I'm literally the only "cool" dude in the group as I've been told, there was a bible pusher, a 35 year old hippie (studying abroad has no age-limit) and an asian guy who might have been a virgin, he did date a girl in the group tho. Nonetheless I left MERICA, in the mindset that I'd be in a dry spell for 5 months all things considered; ultra conservative country, American chicks (never had much luck with), etc, etc.. By the third week, I had a f buddy in the group who broke the ice by straddling me in a alley way after a club one night- I would still be in prison if we got caught. I fell in love with another girl in the group, fooled around with another 3 and had to deflect a few others just because I didn't want the drama. 3 months in I was that dude, that knew and was cool with everyone, at the same time my roommates were like "Yo what's that girl name that just left?" I'm like really? She's in our group. 
grin.gif

I only tell that story, because as an American outside of the Americas, you not only have the advantage with foreign women, but put multiple Americans in a foreign country and you have the advantage by default, because American women love familiarity. I observed this just about every country I've ever been to.

If this thread stays afloat, I have stories for days. But my advice is, own who you are, if you're weird, quirky and like Star Wars, OWN it. 
laugh.gif

^^^ Good looks bruh. I'm 26 and definitely know who I am by now, so I hope that helps. And I definitely have that mentality of I just want to soak up culture and see as much as I can philosophy.

It's funny when we talk about Americans only traveling within the country. I told friends and family I was going to Europe and about half of them were like "Why are you going?" I was in disbelief by that question. Like why do I need a reason other than vacay and to experience the world.

Congrats

my first trip was to aruba then mexico

i want to go out of the country every other year.

American's probably don't travel outside the country because:
1) Compared to other countries, we have far fewer days off for PTO/holiday
2) Proximity to other countries versus that of Europe
3) No other viable travel system aside from air.

As for my self, when I got my passport it was for my honeymoon.

Been to:
Greece - Santorini, Crete and Athens (didn't really enjoy it, but figured as much). Will probably go back to both Santorini/Crete for our 10 yr. LONG travel from San Francisco though.
Italy - Rome (similar to Athens), Florence (loved), Lucca (underrated), Sienna (awesome as well), Lake Como.
Switzerland - Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen
Costa Rica - Manuel Antonio

Switzerland was real nice, but man, expensive.

Eh I live in The Bahamas and I dont think these are good reasons.. I take an airplane to get everywhere as well. I think the answer is closer to what a previous poster said about Americans believing they have everything they need in their country already.

Eh I live in The Bahamas and I dont think these are good reasons.. I take an airplane to get everywhere as well. I think the answer is closer to what a previous poster said about Americans believing they have everything they need in their country already.

I was comparing more so to European counterparts who:
Basically get 5 weeks of time off annually
Have a robust train system that goes cross-country. Like I went from Italy to Switzerland by train. What other country am I taking a high speed train from the US to?

No denying the american attitude, but when it comes to travel i disagree..that's not what prevents most here.

I was comparing more so to European counterparts who:
Basically get 5 weeks of time off annually
Have a robust train system that goes cross-country. Like I went from Italy to Switzerland by train. What other country am I taking a high speed train from the US to?

No denying the american attitude, but when it comes to travel i disagree..that's not what prevents most here.

I live on an island and we travel to the USA just to go to Wal-Mart to shop sometimes man..Dolphin Mall etc. If I lived in the USA I probably wouldnt travel for the same reason stated (about having alot of amenities) I dunno.. you guys have it good though as you probably know already.

Back
Top Bottom