Kobe Taking A More Defensive Role?

Ok. we all know the Lakers hired.........  Uhgh... I don't even want to say his name. Anyways, I was thinking "the coach" may put more pressure on Kobe (and the team as a whole) to focus more of his energy on defense. We all know the Lakers have the length advantage. The "defense first" might be a good look, and it really does just make sense. They have scorers. I think if Kobe does more on defense he'll have less energy on offense, but i believe he can easily be a 15-18 PPG & 5-7 dishes kind of guy. We know the guy has the ability to play D when he wants to. If he makes it his main priority, I believe the lakers have enough scorers to share the offensive duties. With a defensive mindset, Kobe could still be the #1 option on transition baskets. My only skepticism is that "the coach" will have no half court offense system whatsoever. If they do, I think Kobe, Gasol & Bynum could be an effective scoring unit, even if they don't score as much if they hold the opposing team to lower scoring performances

Ok. we all know the Lakers hired.........  Uhgh... I don't even want to say his name. Anyways, I was thinking "the coach" may put more pressure on Kobe (and the team as a whole) to focus more of his energy on defense. We all know the Lakers have the length advantage. The "defense first" might be a good look, and it really does just make sense. They have scorers. I think if Kobe does more on defense he'll have less energy on offense, but i believe he can easily be a 15-18 PPG & 5-7 dishes kind of guy. We know the guy has the ability to play D when he wants to. If he makes it his main priority, I believe the lakers have enough scorers to share the offensive duties. With a defensive mindset, Kobe could still be the #1 option on transition baskets. My only skepticism is that "the coach" will have no half court offense system whatsoever. If they do, I think Kobe, Gasol & Bynum could be an effective scoring unit, even if they don't score as much if they hold the opposing team to lower scoring performances

If you heard Mike Brown's press conference he mentioned 3 big points he will stress all season long. One of them is to not allow anything easy in the paint. Defense starts in the paint. Kobe doesn't even have to guard the best perimeter player so it's really not a big deal.

If you heard Mike Brown's press conference he mentioned 3 big points he will stress all season long. One of them is to not allow anything easy in the paint. Defense starts in the paint. Kobe doesn't even have to guard the best perimeter player so it's really not a big deal.

Thinking about it, I think Brown may be good for this Lakers team. They've needed to run more pick and rolls for a while now, that Kobe and Pau pick and roll/pop is devastating, but Phil never liked to stray too far from the triangle. Brown was also excellent at maximizing the defensive impact of his bigs, and Pau/Bynum are going to a hell of a lot more effective on that end than Varejao/Ilgauskas.

Kobe needs to be more disciplined on defense next season, but he's lost too much agility to play top class defense (his defense was always overrated anyway, due to a lack of consistency). He would wear down if he did so anyway.

Thinking about it, I think Brown may be good for this Lakers team. They've needed to run more pick and rolls for a while now, that Kobe and Pau pick and roll/pop is devastating, but Phil never liked to stray too far from the triangle. Brown was also excellent at maximizing the defensive impact of his bigs, and Pau/Bynum are going to a hell of a lot more effective on that end than Varejao/Ilgauskas.

Kobe needs to be more disciplined on defense next season, but he's lost too much agility to play top class defense (his defense was always overrated anyway, due to a lack of consistency). He would wear down if he did so anyway.

get artest and fisher out of there!
come on LA,
i'm not ready to give up on this team just yet

come on LA,

Originally Posted by 2Nick3

come on LA,

How/Why would you think that would any sense for the Lakers to bring in a defensive minded coach, but get rid of the best perimeter defender they have in artest
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by 2Nick3

come on LA,

How/Why would you think that would any sense for the Lakers to bring in a defensive minded coach, but get rid of the best perimeter defender they have in artest
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Maybe he can get Shannon Brown playing D like he did at Proviso East.

And get Kobe to dominate like he did at Lower Merion.
And get Bynum to demolish like he did at St. Joseph's.

We can only hope!!

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Maybe he can get Shannon Brown playing D like he did at Proviso East.

And get Kobe to dominate like he did at Lower Merion.
And get Bynum to demolish like he did at St. Joseph's.

We can only hope!!

Don't be too hopeful about Shannon Brown being on the Laker roster next season. It don't look like it.

Don't be too hopeful about Shannon Brown being on the Laker roster next season. It don't look like it.

Originally Posted by OnionSlice

Thank you jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 praise the lord!!!!!!!

and kobe and defense??? nah aint gonna happen...

Originally Posted by NobleKane

I think he can do it

Originally Posted by NobleKane

I think he can do it

Man the craziest thing Ive heard in three years was a Laker fan at work said this..... Shannon Brown is going to be an all- star... I almost urinated on myself when he said that..

Back
Top Bottom