**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Probably won't even get a meeting with Hayward. That top 3 pick will move D'Lo one way or another.

Here's some for you. 

Gary Payton, one of the league's all time greats at the guard position, check out his rookie year stats:  27 min per game, 7.2 ppg, 

John Stockton, another all time great - 5.6 ppg in 18 mpg rookie year, 7.7 ppg in 24 mpg his second year

Scottie Pippen, all time great - 7.9 ppg in 21 mpg rookie year

Paul George, All-Star - 7.8 ppg in 21 mpg rookie year.

And there are a lot more where this came from....

Brandon Ingram is at 8.1 ppg playing 28 minutes. Not saying he will be an all-time great but there's definitely been a star player in the past that's been this bad their rookie year. Lots of them throughout the history of the league.
Are you seriously using ppg and min though? Basketball is so much more than PPG. When I say there hasn't been many who've been this bad it encompasses more than just PPG.

GP had a PER of 13 as a rook. John Stockton had a PER of 13 as well. Same with Scottie, and Paul George....you guessed it had a PER of 13 his rookie year too.

Ingram's is a 7.5. PER isn't perfect, but find me five Superstars who started their Rookie years with a 7.5 PER. PER is a bit better than PPG for evaluating players statistically.

Last edited:
HUGE difference. 

I recommend you go out, meet, and speak with a few NBA players or a former coach who has played in the league and see what they tell you.

You just saying a lot of nothing now. :lol:

Like theres a big difference between 1st and 2nd years. :lol:

They're usually is a tangible jump that can be seen. Most rookies sans KD and Bron have an adjustment period. BI was really horrible to start, was playing pretty good to start this month but like all season he's been struggling with his outside shooting.

The problem is dudes in here act like DLo and Randle are in their 5th seasons. We gonna kill dudes who are in their 2nd year but make all types of excuses for a rookie who has looked worse than both of them in their rookie years? :lol: That makes no sense.

Again I'm not picking sides like y'all, I want all of 'em to do great things but some of y'all ain't realistic at all.

You just saying a lot of nothing now. :lol:
The problem is dudes in here act like DLo and Randle are in their 5th seasons. We gonna kill dudes who are in their 2nd year but make all types of excuses for a rookie who has looked worse than both of them in their rookie years? :lol: That makes no sense.

Again I'm not picking sides like y'all, I want all of 'em to do great things but some of y'all ain't realistic at all.

Excuses were made for D'Lo last year as well. There's one dude in here that's taking to the extreme.

Excuses were made for D'Lo last year as well. There's one dude in here that's taking to the extreme.

@leemelone
essential1 essential1

Mamba, Pmatic and a few other posters seem to be the most rational and level headed lakers fans.

Everybody should be on board with team tank....and looking for a real franchise PG.

There are a few of them in this draft that either make D-lo expendable....or slide him to the 2.

If my Nuggets don't make the playoffs and somehow get a top 4 pick.....Mudiay gon have to sit this one out :lol:

Zu putting up 16 and 10 after a double double last night

How many NBA games has he played again?

Impressive

The division in this thread.....:lol:

View media item 2313408

Why don't you instigate somewhere else. No nuggets thread for you to talk about how trash Mudiay is?

EDIT: you said something nice about me. I retract my previous dig. You smart, but please refrain from gassing that clown who shall not be named.

Last edited:

Here's some for you. 

Gary Payton, one of the league's all time greats at the guard position, check out his rookie year stats:  27 min per game, 7.2 ppg, 

John Stockton, another all time great - 5.6 ppg in 18 mpg rookie year, 7.7 ppg in 24 mpg his second year

Scottie Pippen, all time great - 7.9 ppg in 21 mpg rookie year

Paul George, All-Star - 7.8 ppg in 21 mpg rookie year.

And there are a lot more where this came from....

Brandon Ingram is at 8.1 ppg playing 28 minutes. Not saying he will be an all-time great but there's definitely been a star player in the past that's been this bad their rookie year. Lots of them throughout the history of the league.
Are you seriously using ppg and min though? Basketball is so much more than PPG. When I say there hasn't been many who've been this bad it encompasses more than just PPG.

GP had a PER of 13 as a rook. John Stockton had a PER of 13 as well. Same with Scottie, and Paul George....you guessed it had a PER of 13 his rookie year too.

Ingram's is a 7.5. PER isn't perfect, but find me five Superstars who started their Rookie years with a 7.5 PER. PER is a bit better than PPG for evaluating players statistically.
There are all kinds of problems using PER as a basis for comparison and for sake of space, I won't lay them out here. PER is flawed in so many ways, especially when comparing players from different eras.

For this argument, you look at PPG in their rookie year not PER. Why? Because most, if not all, superstars especially at the SF position become stars later on in their careers because they SCORE more than anything else. Secondly, a player who is a rookie is not expected to be doing well at multiple facets of the game. Thirdly, the PER of the players I mentioned above, you can say are higher because they played on better teams than the one Ingram is playing for now, therefore their overall contribution is better because they were surrounded by better players.

DLO to me lacks what PGs need in today's game - quickness, athleticism, ability to drive and attack, create your own shot off the dribble on a iso

To play devil's advocate he's had a lot of success in ISO in his first 2 years.... He just has to trust it more, and go to it more... In a similar way that he needs to go to the Post Up more. But to also be fair, his efficiency goes down the more he dribbles then tries to shoot. That also isn't very surprising. Longer you dribble, the more time you give the defense to react.

Russell is also learning the position... That was always something that was true. He hasn't always been a PG... And coming out of college, Mitch & all analysts said he will need to learn how to be a PG just because he doesn't have a bunch of years playing it already.

One issue is that he can't figure out how to balance being a distributor, and being a scorer. Which is the more difficult part of being a PG who also scores. For a guy like say Ricky Rubio, there is no issue.. It's all distribution, and only shoot if you're wide open. For say a Kyle Lowry it took him a long time to figure out the balance he needed to strike.

He's also very methodical in how he plays. That's where a lot of the "he's slow" comes from. Now he'll never be dunking over guys. So I can agree that the athleticism isn't there, but athleticism/jumping ability isn't a prerequisite for success at PG. But he isn't as slow as it seems. He also isn't Russell Westbrook in terms of ability to move with the ball... But being methodical and letting things develop is how he approaches PG as opposed to going out and forcing things to happen.

One example, is the pick & roll. Rather than get the pick, turn the corner, and go straight for the hoop, he's always taken the slow turn, tried to keep his man on the hip, and hope the big comes out to contest to pass the ball to someone under the hoop, or hope the defender in the corner slides toward him for an open corner 3... If they don't he shoots, or tries to get the roll man with a pocket pass.

We can say we want Russell to be more aggressive.. But you have to also let him make all the mistakes he needs to make. You don't take him out, you don't yank him, you don't keep him on the bench in the 4th. You play him, you let him make mistakes, even boneheaded ones, and play through them. When you start taking him out and punishing him for how he's playing (Luke's leash on the starters is way too short by the way. The egregiousness of some of the bench plays in comparison to the starters is absurd), you put doubt, and force him to be even more methodical in the way he plays, in order to avoid mistakes that will happen anyways.

On this front, one thing I like where he's shown aggressiveness, is he's always trying to find new angles to get a pass into a teammate. Many times it doesn't work out (either it wasn't there or the guy he's passing it to was not ready or completely blows it), but I'm happy that he's looking to find those new ways to do things.

Everybody has to be patient, and the coaching staff has to empower him to be THE GUY. Let him do what he feels is necessary. In a specific moments, Luke needs to say, I want you to look to score on your own.. Don't worry about being a distributor.

Everything for Russell will happen with experience and confidence.

And like I said a week ago, if Ingram is a 2nd option, Russell a 3rd, Randle a 4th option, we are still in great shape.

Last edited:

The division in this thread.....
laugh.gif
Why don't you instigate somewhere else. No nuggets thread for you to talk about how trash Mudiay is?

EDIT: you said something nice about me. I retract my previous dig. You smart, but please refrain from gassing that clown who shall not be named.
Like I said, people who can't handle me and resort to calling me a "clown" are weakminded.

Just because I disagree with 95% of you makes me a clown? LMFAO

Just because I'm too cool for school makes me a clown? LOL

Just because my opinion differs from 95% of you, now homie gotta stop agreeing with some of the things I say?

Y'all must get a kick out of someone who agrees with you, makes you feel good about yourselves doesn't it? 
roll.gif

Here you go....here's a rep. LOL 

All that is well and good it's not going to change that he doesn't has the toolset. Fultz and Ball do which is why we need one of them so desperately.

And whip I've butted heads with plenty of people. My philosophy is different than a lot of people in here, but they at least make coherent arguments and take feasible positions.

Last edited:
Lots of great points Essential

The stuff that Dame and CJ do to us in the 4th quarter is what modern day elite guards do, and Dlo doesn't have that skill set in iso situations

He can't get by defenders and create without a screen, create space to get a quality look, drive and get to the rim, etc

All the development in the world won't get him that quickness

Last edited:
DLo is hampered by sore knees and a set of weak *** legs. Dude ain't ever gonna be THE GUY. Not for this team, not for any other team. And it don't even matter if he plays PG or SG either.

Y'all gonna see by 2020-2021 when his market value tanks to David Wesley levels.

Lots of great points Essential

The stuff that Dame and CJ do to us in the 4th quarter is what modern day elite guards do, and Dlo doesn't have that skill set in iso situations

He can't get by defenders and create without a screen, create space to get a quality look, drive and get to the rim, etc

All the development in the world won't get him that quickness

He showed some ability to do it in college... Could it be less in the NBA? Absolutely... But there is a knowledge of how to do it .... As for screens and pick & rolls is what most offenses run on.

Last edited:
How does somebody become a Jazz fan though? for real.
laugh.gif

Stockton, K. Malone, Hornacek, Kirilenko, J. Malone, Thurl Bailey, Mark Eaton, Blue Edwards, Rickey Green, Bobby Hansen, Darrell Griffith, Kelly Tripucka, Mark Iavaroni, Antoine Carr, David Benoit, Bryon Russell, Frank Layden, prime D-Will, prime Boozer, and Jerry Sloan..

That's how.

Last edited:
The schemes and personnel in the NBA are much better than college. It was the main concern scouts had about him coming in and it's proven to be a valid criticism. He wasn't an above average athlete at tOSU and it's even more exposed now in the league.

How does somebody become a Jazz fan though? for real. :lol: I just noticed that.

Always grew up rooting for the underdogs....Wanted the Jazz to beat Mike as a shorty. I hate Karl Malone though. Then I enjoyed the AK-47 era....then I was a big Deron Williams fan :smh:......and Sloan was my guy. Utah just kept drafting players I liked :lol:

But most recent of all..... the Jazz went out and drafted White Gordon Hayward. A legend in the making. What he did in college.....and almost did to Duke made me a big time fan. So seeing him flourish on a team I've liked since a youngin is fun to watch.

Now I'm reading the Lakers are trying to snatch him up :smh:. Gordon damn sure ain't going to LA.

But on some real ****. Lakers really shouldn't be sweating losing games.

Maybe because I come from rooting for teams that occasionally are good...and occasionally in the lottery, I have a better perspective and patience on these situations.

I'm talking against NBA defenders who are bigger stronger faster than college kids

Of course, it's more difficult in the NBA.. That's why I said it could be less than what he could do in college.

What I said is the knowledge of how to do it is there... Will it be as easy as it was in College? No.. Will it be as successful? No.

But for Russell in almost all parts of his game is trusting it, and being confident in it. Just going out there and figure out how to do it now in a different and tougher league.

He's gotta be empowered to do it as well

Last edited:
Face it DLovers....Hollywood doesn't have it mentally and physically. He's soft. He's all talk. He's too full of himself. And he sure as hell ain't got the knees/legs/durability to hold him over long term and that my friends will be his complete undoing.

Back
Top Bottom