[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
Originally Posted by CP1708  

Heat absolutely have great ball movement. 
*whew* 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708  

Heat absolutely have great ball movement. Tell me again, who they surround Bron with? Ray Allen, Battier, James Jones, Chalmers and somewhere in there Bosh? (I don't even have to mention Wade) They have spacing on spacing on spacing on spacing. Cuz that whole damn crew can shoot.
Kobe has had that shooting group on his squad in his lifetime?

Thing is, I'm not saying that Kobe is a better passer than LeBron, Bron is a great passer, no doubt about it. But you did see the most shooting help he had last year was Meeks and Nash off the ball, and he could space off them better. If we could have had 2010 Pau instead of Dwight, then you would have seen a much better shooting lineup for Kobe to operate.
I can dig it. But like I said, I'm not even mostly talking about RIGHT NOW, because RIGHT NOW, all we've seen is a little 20 second clip. I'm talking about overall. Again.

I don't... like... his style. Never have, never will. *shrugs*

Just overall, I'm not feeling it. When I see these guys, when I watch sports, I can't help but imagine that what I'm watching is translating to the same games I play. I imagine Dwight is that dude always yakking it up w/ folks, getting by on his talent, having flashes of dominance because of his talent and athleticism, but for the most part, gets outhustled regularly by dudes who absolutely are not on his level.

Used to watch Kidd, and I have played with TONS of dudes who absolutely could not shoot, but you absolutely were not allowed to pass around them, and if you're on their team? Psh, if you're open for a split second, you better have your hands up; he'll find you. And if you were open and he missed you, keep doing it, because he might be setting up to feed you whenever the current dude is on fire cools off.

I watch Kobe, and I relate it to the BAJILLIONS of guys I've played with that have never (in their mind) taken a bad shot, are always (in their mind) open, and are the only option at the end of the game (again, in their mind). And honestly, no one wants to play with those dudes. Now Kobe, his work ethic, and the fact that he DOES have stretches like those dozen games of 35+, the 81, those things are why people like Dwight even do want to stop on by and give it a shot. Worked out for Pau; didn't work for Dwight. But let's not act like he's got this long waiting list of people foaming at the mouth to don our colors. All these dudes that have moved around the last couple years... Battier, Birdman, Miller, Garnett, Pierce, Crash, Harden... we weren't even on their radar. I'm sure with some of those, money is an issue, but I doubt it's an issue that strategic managing couldn't resolve. And I'm sure the fact that we're obviously not a top team plays a part, but in the cases of Harden and Garnett/Pierce, I mean, Houston ain't no world-beater, and neither is the Beyonces.

I don't like his style of play, I've played with hundreds of people that hate when a guy like that is on the court, and NBA dudes, I mean, you have to fool yourself to think that we're actually turning people away at the door.

TMac jokes have zero impact on me.

Game 4 2000 is all I ever need to quiet anything Tracy, ever.

Ever.

Don't care who trades what, plays with who, if this or that, nothing. That one single OT was more than Tracy mustered in his entire overrated career. Kid had two nice seasons, and a couple decent ones.
He and his cousin have the same kool aid pumpin thru their meek hearts. Athletic and skilled as all hell, but absolutely worthless when it matters most.
No contention here.

Similar styles to Kobe's (Tracy's, not Vince's), but absolutely not the same application of that style.

What was Game 4, 2000?

Loud Noises... I really don't want to get in on this debate :lol:
yeah im over it.

in other news, jason kidd failing as a coach in brooklin

always knew he was an overrated basketball mind

Being a good mind as a player =/= good mind as a coach.

Too many people think that it equates.. I mean it makes sense in a macro view.. But playing and coaching are complete opposites.

It's like being a student and a teacher.. You can be a great student, but doesn't mean you'd be a great teacher.

basketball is basketball, if you have been regarded as a basketball genius throughout your career but you cant even figure out how to get 5 vets who are ready to do anything to win a ring on the same page then you're overrated as a basketball mind.

i just dont see the hype about the way he makes reads when watching the game, just look at what kobe has been doing with his teammates while he has been hurt now thats good coaching.

It's like being a student and a teacher.. You can be a great student, but doesn't mean you'd be a great teacher.
shots fired at yourself? :nerd:

:rofl: No Kurt Cobain. But it definitely applies to some colleagues.

I'm the chill teacher.

Although last season/student teaching (Jan-April) my chill-ness depended on the Lakers game the previous night.

Last edited:
I look at Phil Jackson. As a player career wise, he was decent but as a coach that's a completely different story. Basically you can be a great on the court (player) and all but off the court (coach) that doesn't necessarily always commensurate.

Game 4 2000 is the game that Shaq fouled out, on the road, in OT, in the Finals.

The biggest, of the biggest stage.

Kobe had missed game 3 with the ankle injury and we got drubbed.

He came back in game 4, and when Shaq went down, he said "no worries, I got this"

He was 20 or 21 at the time.

He went jumper in your face, jumper in your face, jumper in your face and rebound putback to close the game.

On the road.

In the Finals.

Without Shaq.

And they weren't 12 footers mind you, he was hitting top of the circle, step inside three range daggers.

Game over, series over. (effectively)

Lose that game, 2-2 series, Pacers murked us again in game 5, who knows what happens in game 6 or a game 7.

Game 4, 2000. :wink:

I look at Phil Jackson. As a player career wise, he was decent but as a coach that's a completely different story. Basically you can be a great on the court (player) and all but off the court (coach) that doesn't necessarily always commensurate.
well not all people are blessed with great bodies, phil's broke down time after time but when he was a coach his great basketball mind started shining. Jason Kidd was blessed with a strong durable 6'4 body but as we can see now with this nets squad his lack of basketball IQ is getting exposed

even if some how they do manage to turn this season around..

I don't... like... his coaching style. Never have, never will. *shrugs*

now that we have this kobe argument overwith ill happily debate jason kidd with anyone willing to participate 
tongue.gif

Last edited:

Little Roy Hibbert look to him?

Runs a little hard, like more effort than you would like, but he's a big so that's where I got the Hibbert vibe.

Hustle's tho, seals his man, actual post up, had that little jump hook, athletic on that fancy reverse, shot blocker, outlet pass.

Like it. Maybe he and Wiggins wanna be teammates at the next level someday............. :wink: :lol:

^ Dude looks like Greg Oden's son.

To me it seems like the former average and below average players know how to teach better and more importantly they have more patience to teach these players. Most former great players just sit back like " I did this, I did that so you should too".

Little Roy Hibbert look to him?

Runs a little hard, like more effort than you would like, but he's a big so that's where I got the Hibbert vibe.

Hustle's tho, seals his man, actual post up, had that little jump hook, athletic on that fancy reverse, shot blocker, outlet pass.

Like it. Maybe he and Wiggins wanna be teammates at the next level someday.............
wink.gif
laugh.gif
this guy would be perfect for us (of course if he keeps this up and he's not injury prone). Reading about all our potential free agent signings i have yet see anyone talk about signing a big name center (there really are no franchise centers in the nba today). So if we can get a wing scorer, a top PG and draft this guy (probably wont be a top 5 pick in this deep draft so its possible for us to get). then we have a PG to run things, a wing player to score when needed and this guy to develop with our coaches into an above average post player and a possible key player on a championship team.

love how he already knows what move he is going to do by the time he catches the ball. something dwight and bynum never mastered

What jumps out to me is the fluidity in his movement.

When he's running down court, that's more of a lumber to me.

Looked fluid on the reverse, and the alley, but just straight line running, looked a little....awkward?

He's 250 tho, and at 7 feet, that's not heavy at all. Shouldn't tear at those knees too much, but as he adds strength/weight.......?

Back
Top Bottom