[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
:tongue:
Also you cant blame Mike D for anything this year. You really cant. Look back in this thread when the season first started.
Mike D was getting praise in here for getting a bunch of D-Leaguers playing well. Until all those injuries happened.

Mike D has actually done a good job from keeping these players from absolutely giving up. EVERYBODY got hurt this year.
No way you can blame a coach for that. So many people were hurt we had to call up D-Leaguers to fill in for our original D-Leaguers lmao

Sometimes I think we forget what type of talent we really have compared to other teams.
There is no excuse for the defense being so putrid tho. You wont convince me otherwise. Thats ultimately why Mike D has to go and will never win post season

His great offense comes at the expense of his defense. Brilliant mind tho, i'll give D'antoni that.

The consensus with people and I believe people around the Lakers is that they were going to use MDA and Nash to get two good years and try to win that championship. When Nash went down and MDA couldn't fully use his offense, it was his undoing.

MDA wont be here because he is believed to not play a championship style of basketball. I agree with this. Whether it's true or not is left to be seen, it sure doesn't look that way though.

*Looks at the last three NBA champions*

Yeah, you can't win playing fast, emphasizing ball movement and shooting threes.

Kurt Rambis is the defensive coach tho......

Doesnt matter ...its the style of play that leads to the defensive lapses. The bad defense is just a by-product of his brilliant offense. Thats it.

Offense & Defense in the NBA are just schemes usually that play off one another. Unfortunately his offense isnt the "ying/yang" of his defense.
Just the way it goes.

Thats why no one individual, no matter how good he is defensively, can stop a team from scoring. Its team defense.

Thats unless you have a defender like D12, all that goes out the window. It could work.

Dr. Buss had a brilliant idea paring D12 up with D'antoni. Absolutely brilliant thinking. D12 was suppose to make up for Mike D's horrible
defensive approach. It could of worked if D12 didnt play until he was 100% and the fans didnt run him outta town.

oh well...

*Looks at the last three NBA champions*

Yeah, you can't win playing fast, emphasizing ball movement and shooting threes.

P, what about defense though.

Miami looks like they know at least a little of what to do on defense...

At least a littttttttttttttttttttle bit...

Lakers are letting teams drop 140 on them...

You can argue its the players, but its the coach's job to teach some consistency, and you can't have teams dropping 140 on you one night and then you play decent the next game, that speaks on the coach.

So I had a real long talk with a life long Suns fan who moved here to my city from Phoenix 2 years ago. I mean he's a DIE HARD fan, zodogg passion without the zodogg douchhebag attitude.

To be honest, He made me think more highly of D'Antoni as a coach a lot more with a few sentences than CP has this whole entire year with massive essays :lol:

But yeah. Not saying I love the guy all of a sudden. But this talk I had with the fan...

It was definitely eye opening to say the least.
He made some points I couldn't argue against.

But again, it doesn't mean I love MDA now. Not even close. He's always been a brilliant offensive mind to me, just never a great coach.

But I'm an honest guy, and I don't like to be close minded.

If someone makes good points I listen and take it into consideration. He made good points. It definitely made me go "hmm..."

Last edited:
Offense & Defense in the NBA are just schemes usually that play off one another.

So the fast playing offense of the Thunder, can't defend?
The fast playing offense of the Spurs, can't defend?
The fast playing offense of the Heat, can't defend?
The fast playing offense of the Mavs 2011 Title team, can't defend?

You have to play a slow offense to ying and yang the defense?

So I had a real long talk with a long time Suns fan who moved here to my city from Phoenix 2 years ago.

To be honest, He made me think more highly of D'Antoni as a coach a lot more with a few sentences than CP has this whole entire year with massive essays :lol:

But yeah. Not saying I love the guy all of a sudden. But this talk I had with the fan...

It was definitely eye opening to say the least.
He made some points I couldn't argue against.

But again, it doesn't mean I love MDA now. Not even close. He's always been a brilliant offensive mind to me, just never a great coach.

But I'm an honest guy, and I don't like to be close minded.

If someone makes good points I listen and take it into consideration. He made good points. It definitely made me go "hmm..."

Those points were?

There will be no long term affects of Kobe's contract seeing that there wont be anything worth using the money for anyway. Actually Kobe's contract extension is more of a detriment to the short term. .

This part I don't agree with. Who knows for sure they wouldn't have used the money anyway? They definitely could have. They could've had more set aside for role players on multi-year deals. ie pieces for when they are ready to spend big money.

Essential posted a week ago they weren't looking to take on more than one-year deals this summer, or something to that effect. Implying they wanted to keep that max slot open in 2015. Smaller Kobe contract = more room for multi-year deals without dipping into that max slot.

Last edited:
I dont think you guys understand. You all keep bringing up the past 3 NBA champions playing D'antoni's style and whatnot...

There is one HUGE thing missing with that argument ...those teams implement certain things from Mike D's style. They dont fully follow it!!

You cant count the heat because they most likely have the top 5 player to ever play this game. I dont need to continue with that...

I understand what P is trying to say but using a team with LeBron James in his prime along with very productive teammates isn't exactly the most convincing example :lol:

Last edited:
pretty sure every lakers team ever has been bashed for inconsistency 

even during our championship years our inconsistency during a rockets series was causing fans to turn in fan cards

I dont think you guys understand. You all keep bringing up the past 3 NBA champions playing D'antoni's style and whatnot...

There is one HUGE thing missing with that argument ...those teams implement certain things from Mike D's style. They dont fully follow it!!

You cant count the heat because they most likely have the top 5 player to ever play this game. I dont need to continue with that...

See, but NOW you're getting somewhere.

The Heat have LeBron, yessir. As in, is Eric Spolestra winning all these titles without that elite type player?

Mike D have an elite, Bron like player on his roster right now? So why you (and others) want to force him out?

If Mike had LeBron, does it not stand to reason that the offense would look good, AND the defense would look better as LeBron roams the court? :nerd:

So the fast playing offense of the Thunder, can't defend?
The fast playing offense of the Spurs, can't defend?
The fast playing offense of the Heat, can't defend?
The fast playing offense of the Mavs 2011 Title team, can't defend?

You have to play a slow offense to ying and yang the defense?

No I am not saying that at all CP ...I said nothing about having a slow offense

There is a BIG difference in playing fast and running the D'antoni system. A big difference.
Like I said, none of those teams fully run his system. They take things from it

I understand what P is trying to say but using a team with LeBron James in his prime along with very productive teammates isn't exactly the most convincing example
laugh.gif
all 6 of the finals teams in the last 3 years move the ball well, play small ball and shoot a bunch of 3s

heat, spurs, thunder, mavs

I feel like we're starting to have a breakthrough......

Come on guys, see the light, you can do it, see it, SEE ITTTTTT :lol: :lol:

This part I don't agree with. Who knows for sure they wouldn't have used the money anyway? They definitely could have. They could've had more set aside for role players on multi-year deals. ie pieces for when they are ready to spend big money.

Essential posted a week ago they weren't looking to take on more than one-year deals this summer, or something to that effect. Implying they wanted to keep that max slot open in 2015. Smaller Kobe contract = more room for multi-year deals without dipping into that max slot.

Ok, fine. Lets play this game.... tell me with the extra ~20-24 milli you saved from Kobe's contract extension what would you have done with it
this next year? And why???

all 6 of the finals teams in the last 3 years move the ball well, play small ball and shoot a bunch of 3s

Yea but thats not the D'antoni system ....like I said before theres a difference between what Mike D runs and those teams you mentioned

And lets not use The Heat anymore. Thats the definition of an anomaly lol

I understand what P is trying to say but using a team with LeBron James in his prime along with very productive teammates isn't exactly the most convincing example :lol:

So you're telling me the last 4 world champion basketball teams of the world all had good ball movement and shot the basketball into the basket extremely well?

No Way! :wow:

Not Tryna be a jerk but how does the last 4 professional basketball teams to win championships PASSING AND SHOOTING THE BASKETBALL WELL prove anything other than THEY WERE THE BEST BASKETBALL TEAMS OF THEIR SEASONS?

How does that prove anything about our coach? Sounds like a Magic Johnson tweet.

"They were nba champions because they won the nba championship playing great basketball" :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom