Learning to Skateboard...Advice? Best Equipment? Brands?

Originally Posted by JuJu

decks: shorty's, element, chocolate, enjoi (7.5 x 30-31 is best size for street)

trucks: krux, tensor, destructo, grind king (leave em a lil loose for carving or tigther for tricks like ollies)

wheels: spitfire...

bearings: speed demon, lucky, black panthers

risers: doh dohs

*dont buy a slick.
Do not listen to this man. He pretty much just named all the worst brands possible. Lets go through them:
Decks:

-Shortys - does not exist anymore

-Element - speaks for itself. Pop goes soggy after a while. Horrible, horrible shapes.

-Chocolate - excellent brand. Im partial to crailtap dist (girl, chocolate, fourstar, skate mental). Excellent shapes and decent pop that lasts a while

-Enjoi - dwindle dist. The name dwindle just sounds horrible. Pop gets very soggy in a short time

My Deck recommendation: Anything from deluxe dist. (real, krooked, antihero). tum yeto (toy machine, foundation), or crailtap (girl, chocolate, skatemental)

Trucks:

The only brand that matters are Independent and Thunder. Both turn great and and have a lowkingpin. Krux is average, tensor and grind king are very weak, destructo is also average

My Truck recommendation: Stage 8 or stage 10 independent hi's. The stage 9 had a kingpin problem

Wheels:

Spitfire is a hypebeast brand. Low quality with a lot of hype for nothing. Flatspot way too easily

My Wheel recommendation: Bones STF. I've ridden mine for 2+ years and they are still goin strong. Slide GREAT

Bearings:

For most people, brands dont really matter. Just make sure you keep em clean. 

My Bearings recommendation: Anything by Bones. Reds are only $15. If you got the dough, get the Swiss or the swiss ceramics

Dont use risers, theyre pointless

In all honesty, the guide above is what you should use if you stick with skateboarding for a while. If you are just beginning, get a blank deck with blank wheels, some cheap indys and bones red bearings. Should run you about 60-70 at Zumies. Better yet, if you know anybody that skates just buy used. Do NOT buy Target, Walmart etc brands. No matter how cheap they are, skating one of them is completely different then skating a "real" brand. Theyre boards are way too thick and the turning is horrid. 

When youre first learning, get the riding down part first. Loosen your trucks to help with balance and carving. One your comfortable with riding no problem, learn ollies and whatnot.

Enjoy the ride. I've skated all throughout middle school and high school. Definitely one of my favorite things I've ever done. Unfortunately, constant ankle injuries and college have forced me to stop skating. 

Originally Posted by JuJu

decks: shorty's, element, chocolate, enjoi (7.5 x 30-31 is best size for street)

trucks: krux, tensor, destructo, grind king (leave em a lil loose for carving or tigther for tricks like ollies)

wheels: spitfire...

bearings: speed demon, lucky, black panthers

risers: doh dohs

*dont buy a slick.
Do not listen to this man. He pretty much just named all the worst brands possible. Lets go through them:
Decks:

-Shortys - does not exist anymore

-Element - speaks for itself. Pop goes soggy after a while. Horrible, horrible shapes.

-Chocolate - excellent brand. Im partial to crailtap dist (girl, chocolate, fourstar, skate mental). Excellent shapes and decent pop that lasts a while

-Enjoi - dwindle dist. The name dwindle just sounds horrible. Pop gets very soggy in a short time

My Deck recommendation: Anything from deluxe dist. (real, krooked, antihero). tum yeto (toy machine, foundation), or crailtap (girl, chocolate, skatemental)

Trucks:

The only brand that matters are Independent and Thunder. Both turn great and and have a lowkingpin. Krux is average, tensor and grind king are very weak, destructo is also average

My Truck recommendation: Stage 8 or stage 10 independent hi's. The stage 9 had a kingpin problem

Wheels:

Spitfire is a hypebeast brand. Low quality with a lot of hype for nothing. Flatspot way too easily

My Wheel recommendation: Bones STF. I've ridden mine for 2+ years and they are still goin strong. Slide GREAT

Bearings:

For most people, brands dont really matter. Just make sure you keep em clean. 

My Bearings recommendation: Anything by Bones. Reds are only $15. If you got the dough, get the Swiss or the swiss ceramics

Dont use risers, theyre pointless

In all honesty, the guide above is what you should use if you stick with skateboarding for a while. If you are just beginning, get a blank deck with blank wheels, some cheap indys and bones red bearings. Should run you about 60-70 at Zumies. Better yet, if you know anybody that skates just buy used. Do NOT buy Target, Walmart etc brands. No matter how cheap they are, skating one of them is completely different then skating a "real" brand. Theyre boards are way too thick and the turning is horrid. 

When youre first learning, get the riding down part first. Loosen your trucks to help with balance and carving. One your comfortable with riding no problem, learn ollies and whatnot.

Enjoy the ride. I've skated all throughout middle school and high school. Definitely one of my favorite things I've ever done. Unfortunately, constant ankle injuries and college have forced me to stop skating. 

Originally Posted by kojinman

For beginners, like many said before, it doesn't really matter the brand. I would recommend you tighten your trucks, and get slower bearings (abec-3). This will allow you to go slower, and have more stability while learning how to manual, ollie, etc. Hope this helps.

Abec rating are totally irrelevant when it comes to bearings. They are nothing more than a marketing ploy. The abec system was designed for high speed machinery. A skateboard does not move fast enough to fit criteria. 

Originally Posted by kojinman

For beginners, like many said before, it doesn't really matter the brand. I would recommend you tighten your trucks, and get slower bearings (abec-3). This will allow you to go slower, and have more stability while learning how to manual, ollie, etc. Hope this helps.

Abec rating are totally irrelevant when it comes to bearings. They are nothing more than a marketing ploy. The abec system was designed for high speed machinery. A skateboard does not move fast enough to fit criteria. 

Originally Posted by JayeRell

UPDATE: Hey everyone. It's been about 3 weeks that I've been skating and I'm enjoying it.

As for skating...well, I had to grab some new wheels because my stock 54mm were tripping up over everything and they were $10 and wobbly-I need something softer. I copped some Zip Zingers for $38 and that was dumb...I didn't know mm had to do with the height and not width (newbie mistake) so I got wheel bite ALMOST instantly. I am ordering some new BONES ATF for about $20 shipped with the size I have on my board now.

As for riding. It's getting better and I'm still working on basic stuff like just riding and mastering balance. I can do a stationary ollie ok, running starts, kick turns, and had a lil fun practicing a manual the other day. My main concern is balance though because I know personally (at least with my ripstik) that other stuff is like second nature once you get great balance. Thanks again for the help yall and it's been fun.

I'm learnin my style a lil more and I loosened up my trucks a bit, but I might consider just getting some Venture superlite lows altogether. I prefer a low and lightweight board. My board has little pop but I'm ok with that because I want to use it more as a mode of transportation vs. a trick machine and for now I'm not sold on longboards.
You dont really need to go out and buy new products everytime something goes wrong. Just make adjustments to your board, youre wasting money. The average beginner will not be able to tell the difference between different brands. They wont really understand the specifics that go into a skateboard like deck shape, concave, plys, what type of wood. And trucks with different heights and kingpin lengths and hollowed or unhollowed. 
Just dont worry about what your board is. Just worry about having fun, which it seems you are already having. Enjoy man!

Originally Posted by JayeRell

UPDATE: Hey everyone. It's been about 3 weeks that I've been skating and I'm enjoying it.

As for skating...well, I had to grab some new wheels because my stock 54mm were tripping up over everything and they were $10 and wobbly-I need something softer. I copped some Zip Zingers for $38 and that was dumb...I didn't know mm had to do with the height and not width (newbie mistake) so I got wheel bite ALMOST instantly. I am ordering some new BONES ATF for about $20 shipped with the size I have on my board now.

As for riding. It's getting better and I'm still working on basic stuff like just riding and mastering balance. I can do a stationary ollie ok, running starts, kick turns, and had a lil fun practicing a manual the other day. My main concern is balance though because I know personally (at least with my ripstik) that other stuff is like second nature once you get great balance. Thanks again for the help yall and it's been fun.

I'm learnin my style a lil more and I loosened up my trucks a bit, but I might consider just getting some Venture superlite lows altogether. I prefer a low and lightweight board. My board has little pop but I'm ok with that because I want to use it more as a mode of transportation vs. a trick machine and for now I'm not sold on longboards.
You dont really need to go out and buy new products everytime something goes wrong. Just make adjustments to your board, youre wasting money. The average beginner will not be able to tell the difference between different brands. They wont really understand the specifics that go into a skateboard like deck shape, concave, plys, what type of wood. And trucks with different heights and kingpin lengths and hollowed or unhollowed. 
Just dont worry about what your board is. Just worry about having fun, which it seems you are already having. Enjoy man!

Word the only reason i got rid of my x-games board is because I broke it. Was street skating with a heavy ##$ 8" setup but learned a lot on it.

I miss skateboarding
frown.gif
If you can find a crew OP you'll improve much quicker.

Word the only reason i got rid of my x-games board is because I broke it. Was street skating with a heavy ##$ 8" setup but learned a lot on it.

I miss skateboarding
frown.gif
If you can find a crew OP you'll improve much quicker.

Support your local skateshop. Go in and anyone there will be glad to help you.

Support your local skateshop. Go in and anyone there will be glad to help you.

Yeah I have to try and find myself a crew, that's #1 on the to do list.

and what about wheel size? I've seen 50 all the way up to 64, besides the obvious size difference how would one know what to pick? and af1 1982 I appreciate the detailed information you've been posting

you don't just explain the what, but the why also. Dunno about everyone else, but the specific info certainly helps

Yeah I have to try and find myself a crew, that's #1 on the to do list.

and what about wheel size? I've seen 50 all the way up to 64, besides the obvious size difference how would one know what to pick? and af1 1982 I appreciate the detailed information you've been posting

you don't just explain the what, but the why also. Dunno about everyone else, but the specific info certainly helps

I did this when I was 18, I learned to ride it but never really learned anything else. None of my friends skate and skating alone isn't nearly as fun 
ohwell.gif
21 now and still ride around from time to time but that's about it, still wish I knew people who skate. I did the same thing you did though, I did some research bought the parts and built my board.

I did this when I was 18, I learned to ride it but never really learned anything else. None of my friends skate and skating alone isn't nearly as fun 
ohwell.gif
21 now and still ride around from time to time but that's about it, still wish I knew people who skate. I did the same thing you did though, I did some research bought the parts and built my board.

Find someone you know that skates and have them teach you the basics: stance, balance, pumping, etc

Youtube also has thousands of tutorials on how to do starting point tricks like ollie, manual, shove-it. Watch them and practice. There are even tutorials on getting started, setting up your skateboard, standing on your board.

A lot of skateboarding is in your head. If you're willing to practice and not afraid to take a few spills, you'll be alright. You have to be comfortable. If you're terrified and your body is rigid, you'll have a tough time. Best advice I have is to cruise around, take a few small ramps/small hills to work on your balance, and when you feel comfortable start learning beginner tricks. But like I said, finding an experienced skateboarder to give you a few tips would help. Also utilize youtube, tons of tutorials.

As far a equipment goes, doesn't matter much if you have never skateboarded. Don't listen to dudes listing brands and talking about "pop." That doesn't matter yet. Pop is the last thing that should be on your mind if you haven't even attempted an ollie. Get a cheap deck, maybe a Powell blank or something on sale at your local shop. Get some wheels big enough to take on ground cracks, pebbles, but not too big that you can't maneuver the board or get it off the ground when you start learning tricks. ebay has a lot of great deals on completes.

Find someone you know that skates and have them teach you the basics: stance, balance, pumping, etc

Youtube also has thousands of tutorials on how to do starting point tricks like ollie, manual, shove-it. Watch them and practice. There are even tutorials on getting started, setting up your skateboard, standing on your board.

A lot of skateboarding is in your head. If you're willing to practice and not afraid to take a few spills, you'll be alright. You have to be comfortable. If you're terrified and your body is rigid, you'll have a tough time. Best advice I have is to cruise around, take a few small ramps/small hills to work on your balance, and when you feel comfortable start learning beginner tricks. But like I said, finding an experienced skateboarder to give you a few tips would help. Also utilize youtube, tons of tutorials.

As far a equipment goes, doesn't matter much if you have never skateboarded. Don't listen to dudes listing brands and talking about "pop." That doesn't matter yet. Pop is the last thing that should be on your mind if you haven't even attempted an ollie. Get a cheap deck, maybe a Powell blank or something on sale at your local shop. Get some wheels big enough to take on ground cracks, pebbles, but not too big that you can't maneuver the board or get it off the ground when you start learning tricks. ebay has a lot of great deals on completes.

I've learned the basics of skating this year hopefully i can learn to kick flip soon.
I got a friend that's really good but all he does is show off wont even show me how to do tricks
ohwell.gif

Wish i lived up north, finding a crew would be easier. 

I've learned the basics of skating this year hopefully i can learn to kick flip soon.
I got a friend that's really good but all he does is show off wont even show me how to do tricks
ohwell.gif

Wish i lived up north, finding a crew would be easier. 

Go to your local shop, or if you don't have one, go to Zumiez or CCS.com, which also has a board builder option and a HUGE selection of skateboarding equipment, clothing, shoes, etc. My local shop, DayOne, has some cool dudes managing the place. Pick out a quality name-brand board, like element, Real, ATM, almost, etc. For trucks, you should get Thunders, Venture, or Theeve if you want some pricier titanium trucks. Bones and Spitfire wheels are good, and remember to get some good bearing for those wheels. Some good, cheap bearings are Bones Reds, the $15 set. Oh, and make sure the grip-tape you get isn't too coarse. Rough griptape will shred your shoes.

Go to your local shop, or if you don't have one, go to Zumiez or CCS.com, which also has a board builder option and a HUGE selection of skateboarding equipment, clothing, shoes, etc. My local shop, DayOne, has some cool dudes managing the place. Pick out a quality name-brand board, like element, Real, ATM, almost, etc. For trucks, you should get Thunders, Venture, or Theeve if you want some pricier titanium trucks. Bones and Spitfire wheels are good, and remember to get some good bearing for those wheels. Some good, cheap bearings are Bones Reds, the $15 set. Oh, and make sure the grip-tape you get isn't too coarse. Rough griptape will shred your shoes.

hang out with your friends that actually can skate

it's way better than rolling solo, trust me...

Back
Top Bottom