Lease your whip? Horror stories welcome.

you took out a 6 year note with payments at around $400?

what car is it? you either didn't put much down or the car is $50-60k?

If you're looking to lease a luxury car, it's much more reasonable to lease compared to something cheaper that will retain its value. But what it seems like, youre looking to upgrade.

I hold on to my current car for as long as possible and when I see a cool car come out that I want I wait 2 years after the "truly upgraded" model comes out and buy the last model.

That didn't make sense did it.

Depends on the whip you are looking into. I truly believe I will be leasing my next whip. Unless I get a great deal on a Honda or Toyota.

at the time i had a kid on the way, so we wanted to get a car to fit everything that we would need, Stroller, car seat, diaperbag, food bag, blankets, etc.. so we went for a car that was the right size with no worries, 2014 explorer

decided to lease it since we know we wont be traveling a lot since we have a newborn. 

we went with a three year lease, so we know by the time the lease is up  my son will be old enough that we wont need a stroller or car seat ( booster seat doe) so we have the option to return it and get a bigger or smaller car. we pretty much used this lease to gauge what we will get on our next car.  (van, suv, car. etc.. ) we might even have a bigger family by then..

I never lease brand new cars because it seems these days that everything gets recalled and the dealers lag on getting **** done. :smh:

I'm leasing my next car
Shoutout to @Diego

I'm the type of cat who gets tired of cars every 2 years. Why pay 5 years for a car that imma get sick of in 2, feel me?

I'm leasing my next car
Shoutout to @Diego

I'm the type of cat who gets tired of cars every 2 years. Why pay 5 years for a car that imma get sick of in 2, feel me?

See I do this, but I find good deals and in the end I end up payning $0 for my new car OR make a profit! :smokin

Depends on the whip you are looking into. I truly believe I will be leasing my next whip. Unless I get a great deal on a Honda or Toyota.

It's funny I have the same exact stance...

I will never own anything not Japanese. ..

Everything else is going to be on a lease

So I'm a young professional with a whip that I love.

2011 model, that I financed in 2012. Under 60K miles runs great no complaints.

Monthly payment of <400 is easily handled with no qualms.

Well after about 7 years the manufacturer is dropping  a new model this year and like the

dumb American consumer I am i feel some type of way about pushing "da old model."

My income has increased since I financed and realistically I don't see myself driving the

same car 3 years from now when the term is up. I say all that to say this ...

I'm thinking about getting into that lease world. I don't even have a car in mind because like I

said I really love my current car BUT let me know your experiences with leasing.
Fax b.

It's a tool that takes you from point A to point B, and occasionally serves as a portable smoke shack and bedroom.

Im in a much better place now as well (only 20) and i'll be whipping my 04 till the wheels fall off. With regular maintenance I'd whip it till I want to bite the bullet on a Tesla.

Seems like a waste of funds that can be stacked for something more productive, especially when your current whip serves your purposes just fine.

Being that dude living check to check to floss in a Rover or M4 one can nil afford, or is in general a wasteful expense just doesn't seem like the move.

Im not really that dude that cares much for blatant status symbols, so dont mind me.

Hustling backwards is never a good look. Sacrifice now, reap the rewards later. Stack that bread and get a house. Owning property/real estate is the better move

F tryna impress people with a depreciating asset. You're gonna end up with false friends. Trust

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it hustling backwards but if the note works with your budget then go for it. Maybe innovation in the whip game could/does excite you for driving to point A to B during the week.

you took out a 6 year note with payments at around $400?

what car is it? you either didn't put much down or the car is $50-60k?

If you're looking to lease a luxury car, it's much more reasonable to lease compared to something cheaper that will retain its value. But what it seems like, youre looking to upgrade.
A 25k auto at 72 months (6 yrs) at 2.5% with no tax is $375 per month.  So nothing crazy.  A 60k auto at 72 months is like $900 per month.

There are pros and cons to leasing vs financing and I will try to explain it the shortest way possible. 

If you are the type to go in and out of vehicles in 3 yrs or less then leasing is a good option.  Most people will say this is not ideal for a depreciating asset but for someone that finances you gotta consider costs of a financed vehicle perhaps GAP, extended warranty, maintenance costs etc.  This all adds up and if your the type thats ok with that up keep then of course a financed vehicle is best.  Some people bypass warranties but the fact of the matter is any car will fail its just a matter of when.  For a lease theres no worry for that if you stay within the miles and time of the warranty. 

Now the manufacturers set residual factors and rates make a HUGE difference if the lease makes sense.  If the rates are good but the residuals are bad (like 50%) then it doesnt make sense regardless if leasing is a good fit.

Usually the loaded version of a model has a lower residual value then say a base model.  Which means not only will the lessee will pay more for the vehicle but will also pay a higher percentage of the vehicle after the lease term. 

The best way to start your research is pick a couple brands you like.  Lets say BMW or Audi.  See their lease specials and go from there.  I can say this for sure, that a BMW 3 series or Audi A4/A3 will have better rates and residuals then an X5 or Q7 or M3 or S4. 

Going to try to jump in that lease fame top of 16 and get a hemi ram truck

A 25k auto at 72 months (6 yrs) at 2.5% with no tax is $375 per month.  So nothing crazy.  A 60k auto at 72 months is like $900 per month.
No down on $60k?

If you're financing the entire sticker price and not putting down at least $15-20k up front, that's pretty foolish. 

Either way, 72 months is too long for a vehicle.

It would be lovely to not have a car payment but at the same time cars depreciate in value as in the minute you drive it off the lot, that's why I lease. I don't feel like paying $400 or more on a car when it's 4 years old or better.

Lease with little or no money down is the way to go imo.

Back
Top Bottom