Lets look back at JT 20/20 Experience Vol. 1 & 2

So, its been over a year since 20/20 Experience drop (March 2013) and almost a year 20/20 Experience - 2 of 2 (September 2013).

So here' s the question, is part 1 still as good as you first thought? Also, is part 2 better than you first though?

Part 1 was prolly my favorite/most listened to album last year.

Part 2 was lacking. forgot the song on pt 2, (it was a double song) was fire.

Ima fan.

Part 1 is a classic and his strongest album to date. Part 2 was bordering on mediocre. Seemed like a compiling of bonus track material.

Part 1 is great. Wasn't feeling part 2 at all, only songs I liked was Take Back The Night and You Got It On.

Part 1 was great and one of my favorite albums of the year.

Part 2 was ehh, listenable but nothing special outside of 3 songs.

Should have just released one album and put the best songs on Part 2 as bonus tracks on the first album.

They both sucked and were his worst albums. I mean lyrically he only gets worse. His first album was his best in my opinion when you include the music and lyrics. Sonically, I can see why someone would prefer FS/LS to justified though, but not lyrically.

Part 1 is a classic and his strongest album to date. Part 2 was bordering on mediocre. Seemed like a compiling of bonus track material.

100% agreed. With that being said I'm in Vegas and will be seeing JT at MGM Grand tomorrow night, can't wait.

1. is a classic. I'm still surprised at how good a few of those songs are :smh:

2. grew on me. Give Me What I Don't Know, TKO, You Got It On, Amnesia and Not a Bad Thing are great songs. That's about half the album. Then songs like True Blood, Murder and Cabaret really brought the quality down. Sound like failed radio singles. Electric Lady and Blindness were the Target bonus songs and could have replaced a few of these songs without a doubt.

part 1 is still such a great album to me. between now & the time it dropped, the music is still fresh... very high replay value. timbo was a master with the beat switches throughout the album.

part 2 was a struggle for me to get through... there was a couple solid tracks, but i don't find myself going back to it at all. it was definitely an album of leftovers from part 1. the only weak project in his discography, imo.

Part 1 is amazing. Just amazing from every aspect... From the lyrics to the beats, to the concepts, to the tempo switches all the way down to the smallest technical things. Nothing sounded wasted, and the shortest song was almost 5 minutes. If it's not a classic, it's very close to it.

Part 2 was rushed. An okay album, but when put up against Part 1 it's flaws are glaring. If Part 1 didn't exist and this wasn't called Part 2, it'd probably have a different consensus. He had a decent start to album from the songs that were on Part 2, but way too many fillers, and songs that just couln't match up to Part 1. From the beginning to the end:

1. Gimme What I Don't Know - an okay song, but sounds like a track not good enough for Part 1. 6/10
2. True Blood - an absolute abomination. Just awful. Album is made infinitely worse by it being on there. 0/10
3. Cabaret - I dig it, a very chill song, but not something that is special. 6.5/10
4. TKO - Absolute good song, despite Timbaland making me feel awkward. I think could have made Part 1. 8/10
5. Take Back The Night - decent song, you can feel the Michael Jackson influence in the song like there was all over Part 1 7/10
6. Murder - JT's verses weren't bad, and I will catch myself singing along, but it's a very miss song. Jay doesn't add anything, and trying to stay with the beat throws everything out of the window from the quality of the song to the listening experience. Just wasn't a good beat choice. 5/10
7. Drink You Away - Meh song. It's not bad, but not JT's best. 6/10
8. You Got it On - Great song. 8.5/10
9. Amnesia - Much different from the direction of Part 1, but a song that had great quality to it. 9.5/10
10. Only When You Walk Away - I like the concept of the song. 7.5 / 10
11. Not a Bad Thing - The first half may have been the best song on the album, a song that has timeless potential, but gets ruined by the hidden song attached to it. If I graded it by itself 9.5/10
12. Pair of Wings (Hidden Track) - Not my cup of tea. Some songs are made great by their simplicity, this songs simplicity makes it worse. 5.5/10

If I average it out my ratings I'm at 6.6 / 10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom