looking at a lab-top / techies, what y'all think?

The only knock I have with Mac is the struggle excel.

Install Windows on it and MS Office.

No such thing as a negative with a Mac simply because you can install Windows on it. Like I said if you want to go cheap go cheap, but don't make excuses on what a Mac lacks when Macs can run Windows lol.

At the end of the day Mac or Windows PC, I still think it is foolish to buy a low end computer unless it is all you can afford and not the "I dont do nothing" excuse, because if you dont do anything a tablet will be more than fine.

If you're looking for a laptop with great specs, I don't see the point in getting a Macbook if you're on a budget. Macs are just overpriced. You can get a high-end Windows laptop for less than a low-end Macbook. I wouldn't suggest getting a MBP unless you have guap like that to drop on one.

What's excel shortcuts can't you do on a Mac?

They're just different...

And working in excel, moving around shortcuts, **** is tough...

Try to do a goal seek...

Or group columns...

Or freeze a cell, then put them in vertical view to try and compare two files...

You can do them all... But button placement is all off.

Ohhh well now u make sense

Yeah man when i was using excel on da macbook it definetly had drawbacks.
So i understand ur point now papa [emoji]9786[/emoji]️

I know you just looking for the homey, Yeezus

*hugs*

Agreed. You're a finance guy right, Fontaine? I can understand how annoying it is using Office on a Mac.

I use my MBP as a back-up to my Lenovo. No complaints.

Yes. I work in finance and have a small business... Excel is super clutch...

I tried to have all my excel stuff on Google sheets and it was tough because shortcuts didn't work... And once you get going with shortcuts, it's hard turning back.

No such thing as a negative with a Mac simply because you can install Windows on it. Like I said if you want to go cheap go cheap, but don't make excuses on what a Mac lacks when Macs can run Windows lol.

At the end of the day Mac or Windows PC, I still think it is foolish to buy a low end computer unless it is all you can afford and not the "I dont do nothing" excuse, because if you dont do anything a tablet will be more than fine.

View media item 1499059

View media item 1499059

$80 ****** chargers.

Lots of people do it actually. Steve Ballmer while Microsoft's CEO used that set up

Lol man these folks dont know nothing about PCs let them enjoy their 500 dollar Gateways.

Once again you cant give a con to a mac due to a windows feature when macs can run windows, dont get how that is hard to understand. Just day you hate apple/cant afford a mac instead of making excueses as to why you dont want one. Like i said if you dont do anything on a PC cop a refurb for 200 or a windows tablet and call it a day, quit overthinking something that you "dont do anything on".

I cant afford a bugatti, but I can afford a Macbook, the point comes to whether or not you want to spend the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Apple-MacBook-Air-A1466-13-3-intel-Core-i5-128GB-SSD-4GB-1-3GHz-OFFICE-/321731019402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae8a9c28a

I could buy this right now with zero issues or a brand new one at that, even thought that would be unnecessary and may just do that if someone doesnt point me in the direction of something better.

. man... I know you can find some great steals with used electronics but I just don't trust them...

Looks good though...

Lots of people do it actually. Steve Ballmer while Microsoft's CEO used that set up

To be fair... There's no such thing as a "Microsoft" laptop... It's just an OS..

It's like comparing a full android suite to an iPhone...

And why does this ***** keep saying $500 for 2-3 years?

:lol:

If I see someone sitting in a coffee shop with an 07 bulky *** macbook, I'm going to knock that **** right off the table.

Its 2015 b... Stop it.

I've bought things used and have never been burned before, same goes for refurbished. I've developed a certain level of trust for it.

If you're just running office, browsing the Internet and downloading music/watching movies, get a higher end Asus. Solid warranty and customer service is good too. If you issue android I highly would go against getting a Mac.

And get a tablet if you "do nothing"? Tablets are never computer replacements.

I don't understand the people saying the Mac's last longer. How is this? Don't they use the same hardware as PC's? It's just the OS that's different. HD's fail, fans, power supplies all fail. They both use the same brand for parts. 

And this guys is why you dont discuss tech with people who dont know much about it lol.

Cats is talking if you use android dont cop a mac as if majority of the andriod reviewers dont use macs lol just say i dont know how to use a computer instead of creating cons out lf thin air.

Last edited:

I don't understand the people saying the Mac's last longer. How is this? Don't they use the same hardware as PC's? It's just the OS that's different. HD's fail, fans, power supplies all fail. They both use the same brand for parts. 
It's the quality of the parts being used. HP's are notorious for using the dirt cheap parts for their computers, hence why they're so much less expensive than most other brands. Apple on the other hand has a 50% or more markup on their systems, so they not only use better parts, but also bundle support too so you can take it to the genius bar for repairs.

IMO... If you can, wait until Black Friday and buy a computer from CostCo. Bought a Dell a couple years ago and had the touchscreen start to act up. I called them and they sent a Dell rep to my house to personally repair it.

It's the quality of the parts being used. HP's are notorious for using the dirt cheap parts for their computers, hence why they're so much less expensive than most other brands. Apple on the other hand has a 50% or more markup on their systems, so they not only use better parts, but also bundle support too so you can take it to the genius bar for repairs.

IMO... If you can, wait until Black Friday and buy a computer from CostCo. Bought a Dell a couple years ago and had the touchscreen start to act up. I called them and they sent a Dell rep to my house to personally repair it.
HP has different lines at difference price points. They're mid-range to higher end still use junk parts? I always assumed the cheaper prices because of the lower grade specs. Asus I'm always told uses good parts and makes some of the best motherboards yet they aren't nearly as expensive as an equivalent Mac.

HP has different lines at difference price points. They're mid-range to higher end still use junk parts? I always assumed the cheaper prices because of the lower grade specs. Asus I'm always told uses good parts and makes some of the best motherboards yet they aren't nearly as expensive as an equivalent Mac.
I can't speak to their higher end stuff, but almost any review you read, they note that HP's are a great value for the specs but they use cheap parts.

Besides, Apple has something like 90% of the >$1000 computer market, so it's not like many people are buying the higher end HP's anyways.

I've had a pretty good experience with my Asus. Bought it used when it was already a year old and it's still doing ok. I do a lot of video editing, so I finally had to get a real computer to keep up.

i7 w/ 16GB ram & 4GB video card for $800 on Black Friday FTW

Last edited:
And this guys is why you dont discuss tech with people who dont know much about it lol.

Cats is talking if you use android dont cop a mac as if majority of the andriod reviewers dont use macs lol just say i dont know how to use a computer instead of creating cons out lf thin air.

I see why you get banned from threads

Back
Top Bottom