LOTR vs Star Wars

Originally Posted by CP1708

smh.gif
kids these days.

I love Lord of the Rings. Incredible work. I enjoyed every second of all 3 films, like the books, like the Hobbit, good times.

They ain't even SNIFF Star Wars.

Not even in the same galaxy.

Those of you just talkin about the movies and got Jar Jar on the brain, open the expanded universe then come back and talk.
wink.gif

Grand Admiral Thrawn, people.
Admiral Daala, ya'll.
What you know about Mara Jade?
Vergere. Yoda got nothin on her
Maybe the story of two Jedi twins squaring off when one becomes a Sith Lord might interest you.
Luke vs a clone of himself.
Or Luke vs a clone of the emperor.
Yuuzhan Vong.
pimp.gif

Talon Karrde pimp of information

Come on now. The stuff that hasn't even been seen on film alone is > then LOTR. Beleive me.

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"
"It might"

"That's no moon, that's a spacestation"

"Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father did he?"
"He told me enough..... he told me you killed him."
"No.....I am your father."

pimp.gif
what books were these?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

CP1708 put me on where can i read those stories? books, online, etc?
Books man, a whole lotta books. I think they up in the 70's now. Some stories are out there in the form of short stories, even some of thecomics, even the games get used for stories. The whole damn thing is all interconnected. Me personally, I stick with the main books and then check here andthere some of the other stuff. The books alone though will blow your mind. I guarantee you that the original Thrawn trilogy would be even better then the 6movies we currently have. If someone ever does those three books into film, IT"S A WRAP!!

Hit up google with star wars books, they have timelines all over in there, those should get you started. Or if you have a bookstore near you, go there and askfor the Star Wars section, then prpare to sit for a while and spend some money.
pimp.gif

Fantastic4our wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
smh.gif
kids these days.

I love Lord of the Rings. Incredible work. I enjoyed every second of all 3 films, like the books, like the Hobbit, good times.

They ain't even SNIFF Star Wars.

Not even in the same galaxy.

Those of you just talkin about the movies and got Jar Jar on the brain, open the expanded universe then come back and talk.
wink.gif

Grand Admiral Thrawn, people.
Admiral Daala, ya'll.
What you know about Mara Jade?
Vergere. Yoda got nothin on her
Maybe the story of two Jedi twins squaring off when one becomes a Sith Lord might interest you.
Luke vs a clone of himself.
Or Luke vs a clone of the emperor.
Yuuzhan Vong.
pimp.gif

Talon Karrde pimp of information

Come on now. The stuff that hasn't even been seen on film alone is > then LOTR. Beleive me.

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"
"It might"

"That's no moon, that's a spacestation"

"Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father did he?"
"He told me enough..... he told me you killed him."
"No.....I am your father."

pimp.gif

what books were these?
nerd.gif

New Jedi Order for the Vong and the majority of Vergere........but not to ruin it for you, she is also in Rogue Planet which is the first book with Anakin andObiWan as master/apprentice.

The Luke vs himself was somewhere in the 12-15 year after Jedi range I believe. I'd have to go home and look at which books exactly. The Emperor clone isin a comic/short story type I think and I haven't been able to find that one yet. But the novels all reference that event many times in the same timeperiod. When I was first reading the books, I thought I had missed some or something cuz I didn't get what the hell they were talking about.
laugh.gif

Bastitch:
DearWinter219:
I'd take Spider Sense over the Force 8 days a week.
That's like saying you'd rather have hops than be able to fly.

Mind tricks, levitating objects, ESP-like abilities, the ability to spontaneously generate energy...the list goes on. Spider Sense is like the Fisher Price version of The Force ..."My First Extra Sensory Perceptions".
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
DearWinter219:
Ska, do me a favor and make me care about all that jazz you were quoting from SW. I couldn't care any less, but I'd like to care more.There's gotta be something more than weak $%# light sabers and rinkydink force powers. Either that, or there's a depth in it all that I'm missing here. I'd take Spider Sense over the Force 8 days a week.
It can be about political schemes and backstabbings, like RawSheed mentioned.

But that's not what it is for me. I'm a new school Star Wars fan. I knew as a kid what Star Wars was and that Luke Skywalker was everyone's hero,learning to defeat the bad guys desspite feeling inadequately equipped to do so. I knew that the bad guys were lead by Darth Vader, and that he is Luke'sfather. I knew all that, but to me, it was still just a story about a guy leading a good army to beat up the bad army.

I didn't know about the character who I consider to be the central figure in the whole story until the new 3 came out, beginning in 1999. In my opinion,the central figure in the whole saga is not Luke, but Darth Vader. I didn't know that Darth Vader started out on the good side, being trained by a mentoron the good side, being trained to defeat the bad guys, the dark side, the Sith. I never knew that Darth Vader used to be Luke Sywalker's role, the role ofa young boy being trained to defeat the bad guys. I never knew that. Darth Vader used to be Anakin Skywalker, being trained by Obi Wan Kenobi, a Jedi Master. Iknew none of that until the newer 3 episodes came out. So knowing that, my interest was definitely there, because I looked at the whole story, stripped down tothe basics, like this:

Anakin was discovered, as the child of a slave family, by Obi Wan. Obi Wan senses a strong presence of the force inAnakin, and earns the right to take the boy from their owner. Yes, Anakin is taken from his family by Obi Wan, who trains him to become a Jedi Master. WhenAnakin becomes a teenager, he begins seeing things that make the dark side more appealing than the good side, things like... well... the fact that the'good guys' took him away from his mother. Anakin falls in love, has a couple kids (Luke and Leah), joins the dark side, and actually leads the darkside, as Darth Vader. Luke is trained to be a Jedi warrior to defeat the dark side, who is being lead by... Dad.
eek.gif
embarassed.gif
frown.gif

I know most old school Star Wars fans hate the new 3 episodes, but my favorite line comes from Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, released in 2005. Obi Wan andAnakin are fighting, because Anakin is 99% convinced that the dark side is a better look for him. Obi Wan, ever the mentor, even in battle, is throwing out onelast ditch effort to convince Anakin that he's making the wrong choice for his future, that the dark side is not a good look for him, not his destiny.

Obi Wan tells him, in battle: "You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them!"

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Every time I watch Revenge of the Sith, that line just rips me apart. The passion in Obi Wan's words, the disappointment in knowing that he basicallywasted the last 15 or so years of his life training the leader of the dark side, the despair of hoping that maybe there's some small chance thingswon't happen the way they are clearly going to happen... "You were the Chosen One!!"
smh.gif

So from that moment on, we have something interesting unfold.

We had a Skywalker being trained to defeat the dark side, and choosing togo against that destiny by joining the dark side... and then we have a Skywalker being trained to defeat the darkside, and choosing to stay that course, ignorant to the fact that the leader of the dark side is the guywho was in his shoes before and chose to buck the status quo, ignorant to the fact that the leader of the dark side is his own father, who he thinks wasmurdered by the leader of the dark side.

I could go on and on about how awesome the whole 'inner conflict to do the right thing amidst overwhelming external chaos' dynamic is, but essentially,that's what Star Wars is to me: the story of Anakin Skywalker's internal struggles to do the right thing, and Luke Skywalker's struggles forconfidence and embracing his role.

"You were the Chosen One!"

I feel so bad for the turmoil going on in Anakin's head every time I watch that scene.

Winter, Ska summed it up pretty good for you to care about Star Wars.......only one thing. That's just ONE of many ways to look at thestory/series/universe as a whole.

He is right, the story revolves mostly around Luke Skywalker, but in the bigger picture you could say that his father was the true beginning to the story. However, if you felt like it, you could choose to root for the evil side of things, (the darkside) and follow their path and say that the 6 movies were ledmostly by Darth Sidious (Palpatine, Emperor- he goes by many names, kinda like the devil huh?
wink.gif
)

This dude looks like an old wrinkly white dude who in fact has been around for hundreds of years and is so evil, so twisted that he sat around and waited todestroy his own mentor and then waited VERY patiently for years and years to unleash his fury on the galaxy. Since Anakin is "created" by the force,and has no father, it has been said that possibly Sidious himself was behind the birth of Anakin. (True or not does not matter, it's up to yourinterpretation) and so he sits and waits for this boy to grow amd the whole time he puts ideas into the boys head, says things here and there and earns thekids trust. So much so that he is able to turn this guy who loved being the hero, loved being the center of Jedi attention, who loved his growing power, lovedhis woman even so much, Sidious used all of this against him in turning him to the dark side. All while this is developing he has gotten himself voted intopower, created a secret clone army, sets the droid army in motion causing a war nobody knows why they are fighting, created a secret code within the clones tohelp destory the Jedi, manipulated even the Jedi while he sits right beside them by pairing Anakin with Padme causing that relationship to blossom, meanwhileNOBODY knows this dude is leading multiple lives.
eek.gif
He truly is apuppetmaster. And when all the dominoes start to fall, he has Anakin twised onto his side, uses him as his fear emlem with the black mask, cape and all that,and creates the Death Star to rule the galaxy with an iron fist.

Simply put, the man is gangsta.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

He is the epitome of evil. He feels that he has everything under control and beleives it so much that he never loses sleep to the chance that this boy Lukeand his friends could defeat them. And that is where the emotional charge of the story lies, that later on the very thing that defeats him is his greatestcreation, Vader. Vader sees his son dying, the boy who has grown to what he was supposed to be, and he takes it on himself to end Sidious and all his BS. Vader the symbol of evil, becomes what he was meant to be, the end of the Sith.

Let that soak in for a moment..........

IN the end, what Lucas has built as a universe, it appears that indeed Luke Skywalker does become the becon of hope the galaxy needs. Everything that dude hasbeen through and defeated, he basically becomes what was expected of his father. He tip toes the dark side with every decision, and yet always stays on theside of light just for doing what's right.

Me personally? I ride with the Sith, bunch of bad dudes in there.
laugh.gif
But I get the whole hero tip that Luke and Han Solo and all them stay with. But for my money, Sidious ran the stars for a long damn time and he did it withstyle. Gotta love a dude like that. He had a good run for 3 decades, that's better then most of us.

Intrested yet?
nerd.gif

no offense to the op, but this is a booty comparison. lord of the rings (storywise, not money wise) ain't in the same weight class as star wars. starwars ftw.

Back
Top Bottom