Mad Men Season 7 Discussion Thread - Final Episodes - SERIES FINALE

I disagree with calling it a boss move that Ken takes that job to carry out revenge on Roger, Ferg and Pete.

Him and his wife knew all along the ad man life was not his calling; it was writing. He's always been an artist conforming to what society deemed successful and the loss of his eye and the disrespect he regularly endured were symbols of that. Over the course of the series we see him go from a happy go lucky, easy-going kind of guy into this frustrated and disillusioned shell of his former self.

He knew he had been given the out he needed to live "The Life Not Lived" that he probably was too scared to pursue and he just squanders it to become "a cog in a machine that makes weapons and poison" and carry out revenge. Sad to see.

Last edited:
Revenge is still something one can enjoy. It might have been something that irked him for a long time not being able to hit them back.

I disagree with calling it a boss move that Ken takes that job to carry out revenge on Roger, Ferg and Pete.

Him and his wife knew all along the ad man life was not his calling; it was writing. He's always been an artist conforming to what society deemed successful and the loss of his eye and the disrespect he regularly endured were symbols of that. Over the course of the series we see him go from a happy go lucky, easy-going kind of guy into this frustrated and disillusioned shell of his former self.

He knew he had been given the out he needed to live "The Life Not Lived" that he probably was too scared to pursue and he just squanders it to become "a cog in a machine that makes weapons and poison" and carry out revenge. Sad to see.

He could have kept writing in his free time while working. I think he always wanted to see himself as the most important man in the room at some point. This was reflected in the conversation he had with his wife when she said they didn't need the money, and how he had always been trying to gain the approval of her father the entire show. And Ken has always hated Mccann, this last slight just pushed him over the edge.

View media item 1480164

Last edited:
I love a good revenge story. I love being on the giving end of the revenge. Ken made some moves.

Good lawd all the yams in this episode. :smokin

Still waiting on The Orange Couch analysis

They caved in to McCann right after his father in law retired. SCDP did him dirty so I dont hae any qualmes about him being after revenge.

Revenge can still be sweet.

While I too wanted to see him go on to be a writer I can perfectly understand why he chose this path given how he was ushered out the business.

Plus I say look at it this way, he's what in his 30s at this point? Barring some tragedy son has decades of life left to write all he wants and become even a better writer. He at one point mentioned to Pete how he really had something to talk about now (******** on MCcann, writing about working with the agency in the ad business) so this is really just another chapter if he ever does pursue something based in reality as opposed to fiction.
Good points but I've always subscribed to the George Herbert quote: "Living well is the best revenge"
Sounds like Herbert never actually experienced successful revenge a day in his life.

Last edited:
I waited all this time just to miss the premiere :lol: :wow:

Didn't read the last 3 pages in case there's spoilers. I'll be back with input after catching up :nerd:

Another solid episode.

- Megan's mom =
mean.gif

- Megan = constantly playing the victim

- What's Don want with this waitress?

- Stan getting the yambs

- Peggy getting jelly =
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Megan talked about Don ruining her life. Before Don she was a nobody secretary. After Don she is a model and millionaire. Not a bad deal. Megan and her mom are gold diggers

Megan talked about Don ruining her life. Before Don she was a nobody secretary. After Don she is a model and millionaire. Not a bad deal. Megan and her mom are gold diggers
Agreed. They play the victim card all the time.

"I don't want anything of yours." --> I'll keep this million dollar check, thx.

Agreed. They play the victim card all the time.

"I don't want anything of yours." --> I'll keep this million dollar check, thx.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing Megan for what she is. She started talking about money and all that jazz from the beginning. She probably would've smashed Harry if it would've put money in her pocket.

Megan is a pathetic loser.

I didn't care for the focus on Megan much at all or her annoying sister but I guess as Don's next ex-wife they needed some closure on this. I would've started the timeskip with the divorce been dealt with and maybe him bumping in to Megan near the end and that's it. Was cool to have Megan's ***** of a mom around again. What Roger ended up saying was right though. All this fake outrage from her when she won't tell Don the real reason she wanted it to be over. Cuz of her insecurities while the whole time he supported you and loved you. Didn't even cheat on you until you switched up on him. Talking about it's not about money :rolleyes

:lol: :rofl: @ Roger. You know nothing but yambs was on his mind. Gives that rant to Don and then later shows up at his house looking like he got robbed or moved out and still pays for the movers to move his ****.

:rofl: @ Harry. Can't blame him for trying. Great scene.

I liked this older bi woman. :lol: @ Peggy looking so confused and intimidated. It is how she usually reacts when hit on by somebody she didn't expect it from.

As for Don, I don't know why he was stalking this waitress for so long guess he just wanted something steady. Yet again though it's a chick with a lot of problems and baggage. **** she can't face and thus cuts it off with him. Not sure that added much for him as we get to the end but it kinda shows how he can't pick em at all. Great to see Linda Cardelini's cameo :smokin :evil: Still looking fine as ****.

:lol: @ Don in the end with his empty apt. I'm sure somebody looking deep in to it for meaning will describe how it symbolizes something about Don.

Last edited:
When Roger realized it was Megans mom on the line, I lost it. :lol: :rofl:

Dude is all about having a good time and the yambs lol

Never liked megan... never saw what people see in her.

Now January though...she still the best winner in my eyes

Don solved the Megan issue just like he solved most issues with his life. He threw money at it and made it go away.

I need to re-watch but I think this episode was a lot about people putting up fronts and getting exposed. You've got Megan putting up the front of not wanting anything and then ultimately taking the million from Don. Her mother fronts like she's doing the righteous and right thing for her daughter but in the end it was petty revenge. Then her infidelities were exposed, as were her feelings about her marriage. Next, Harry puts on the nice guy front about wanting to help Megan but he's only in it for sex. He ends up exposing himself (as Don predicts), when he bursts in afterwards and talks a bunch of BS which Don can immediately smell. Stan fronts by shrugging off the photographer as a nobody and talking about how he's the Art Director of SCP. Later, we find Stan wallowing about how he's an Art Director but has no direction and how his work sucks. Ultimately, he gets a fake confidence boost from Pima, the photographer, and they both get exposed by Peggy in the end. Diana continues the trend by making herself out to be a sob story about losing a child but we eventually find out that while she did incur the loss of a child, she dealt with it by abandoning her other child and husband.

We know Don has been fronting most of his adult life, but specifically in this episode I think you have to look at the opening scene with Don at Betty's vs. the scene he had with Megan. To me it was D ick Whitman and Don Draper. You've got Don in casual clothes, not smoking, not serious, hanging with his kids. Betty comes around, Henry shows up, and it's all no big deal. Then when it comes to Megan, Don doesn't want to be there when she stops by and he has no intention of dealing with her family. He doesn't want to hear about her with Harry and he'd rather have his lawyers take care of everything with he divorce. He's been unable to process and come to terms with what happened and eventually just buys his way out of it when she hurt him, just like he did with Midge in season 1.

Don continues to front when he brings Diana over to his apartment. It's 3AM and he makes sure to have a suit on when she arrives at his place. He even throws out the line "It's 3AM we both know why you're here". Yet Don still was the one who put on his suit to meet a diner waitress at 3AM in his own home. Don continues to build his romantic relationships on carnal attraction rather than substance and still in his 40's has no idea what he truly wants. He talks about "being ready" with Diana because he's got a divorce and falsely believes he has closure and can start anew. However, Don isn't ready for anything. He doesn't care about his job, as evidenced by him coming in super late and not being prepared for his golf meeting with Pete and the client. He couldn't provide true closure to his relationship with Megan, and he has literally no idea what's happening in his home.

Last edited:
I disagree about the part where Don doesn't care about his job cuz he came in late and forgot about golf.

Don's been doing this for almost like a decade now. He is creative. He knows exactly what's important and what's not. Don's so seasoned at the game that he knows if he wanted to he could wing every rubbing shoulders outing and they'd still love him cuz damn near everyone he meets when trying to get new business or manipulate business he already has all of the guys want to be him or are envious of him cuz he's so cool and suave and just by being around him for a few hrs those guys feel better about themselves while he pitches some description behind a new strategy. You can see the difference simply by looking at Don now or the past few seasons and the young Don that was running behind Roger for a chance at a job. once you know the game you don't sweat the small stuff. Evidenced by him saying that they'd all love that he'd just roll up his sleeves and play in a business suit slacks and Pete agreeing with a of course they will.

If it's one thing Don hasn't had to worry about when it comes to the work is his specific job. He's a master of painting a picture or just bull ******** on an expert level. It's usually been the politics and other stuff that gets in the way or as we know that one time where he was just having personal problems about his past and what not that'd put anything in jeopardy. While Don may be emotionally stunted, lost in life, in denial, and in capable of carrying on a faithful or even meaningful relationship he's pretty much the opposite when it comes to creative.

I really hope that this last episode was the closure for Megan and we never have to see her again.

"You don't owe me anything."

"I need $500"

Back
Top Bottom