Man of Steel (Superman Movie Thread) - June 14, 2013 - NEW Trailer pg20

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Brandon Routh wasn't the problem with Superman Returns. The story was awful. Luthor with another land/real estate scam. Kate Bosworth. Lois giving birth to Superman's son. Superman not throwing a single punch in the entire film.

Supes also became a stalker in the film.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

but the movie did pretty well at the box office and it received good reviews overall

It made decent money but not what they were expecting.
It got decent review but it isn't the Superman film everyone were looking for.

I will prop see this one but the comic book movies are starting to become really overkill for me so it's like I see one maybe a year because of it

this might be my one

To be honest, I'm more upset that Singer left the third installment X-Men to do Superman Returns, essentially dooming both franchises (even though he did produce X-Men Last Stand).

But yeah, Singer was way into the "romanticism" of Superman. And I know a lot of people overlook it, but one of my favorite scenes in that film is when Superman was flying during dusk between buildings, and everyone stops in awe to look up. I really thought they were going to play the "Superman as a god-like" being in the film, but they dropped the ball on that. Seems like that's the take they will run with in Man of Steel, so I'm excited about that.

It's Superman though..is it even possible to update the costume to make it look modern and cool? This is a tough franchise to make work in 2012 IMO, especially on the tails of Nolan's Batman franchise and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

Originally Posted by CoolNClutch

It's Superman though..is it even possible to update the costume to make it look modern and cool? This is a tough franchise to make work in 2012 IMO, especially on the tails of Nolan's Batman franchise and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 
I tend to agree with you; I dont think this generation cares about Superman to be quite honest because of Batman 
the actor they choose and the costume doesn't really do it for the teen to younger 20's crowd

Jul 14 2012 8:20 PM EDT 2,313
'Man Of Steel' Clips Show Comic-Con A Darker Superman
Zack Snyder unveils footage alongside his new Superman, Henry Cavill.

By Ryan J. Downey

SAN DIEGO — Zack Snyder told Comic-Con's Hall H that his Superman won't be a Big Blue Boy Scout.

He said this Superman won't hold back from beating the crap out of the bad guys. And with that, the filmmaker debuted more "Man of Steel" footage than the teaser trailer attached to "The Dark Knight Rises" will contain, all of it featuring the darker stamp of producer Christopher Nolan.

With newly minted Superman Henry Cavill in tow, Snyder unleashed a wealth of well-received clips, including: shots of Smallville and the Kent farmhouse; a teenaged Clark Kent saving a bus full of kids; a bearded Clark walking down a snowy road; a face-to-face conversation between Superman and Jor-El (Russell Crowe); Superman flying, facing off against the military, saving a guy who fell from a building and being led away in handcuffs; Papa Kent (Kevin Costner) telling him the world fears what it doesn't understand; Clark with his entire body on fire; plus, Superman emerging from a bunch of skulls!

There also were glimpses of Amy Adams as Lois Lane and Michael Shannon as General Zod (who Snyder wouldn't confirm is the villain).

Snyder said principal photography has wrapped, and "Man of Steel" is now in postproduction. He also told the crowd that the movie's plot is based on a mix of various comic book story lines more than any particular arc. Cavill said he loved the "Death of Superman" and "Red Son" stories.

Will "Man of Steel" lead to a Justice League film on par with "The Avengers"? Snyder answered a fan question this way: "Superman is the jewel in the DC crown. What we're trying to do is to get his house in order, and then we'll see what happens."

I feel like Superman along with DBZ and other things is too hard of a concept to grasp and project onto a screen. I'm fine with cartoons and comics but anything cinematic would probably just kill it for me.

Originally Posted by DecemberLove

I feel like Superman along with DBZ and other things is too hard of a concept to grasp and project onto a screen. I'm fine with cartoons and comics but anything cinematic would probably just kill it for me.

I thought Superman 1 was good and Superman 2 was even better. 3 & 4 are ok to me but hated by most. 

Nolan set the bar for these reboots. Everything will be darker... the way it should be. Not that kiddy crap. This will be EPIC. Mark my words.

i feel this way as well...live action dbz and superman is just a disappointment waiting to happen

Originally Posted by DMoney82

Nolan set the bar for these reboots. Everything will be darker... the way it should be. Not that kiddy crap. This will be EPIC. Mark my words.
Superman SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT BE DARK. That's not who or what he is.  And The Avengers just proved that you can top the box office as a fun superhero movie.

He looks like dude from the insurance commercials. Mayhem.

tumblr_m6nhr4NTX91qbc15co3_500.gif

yup. I actually feel that way about alot of anime. I was watching Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood today and thought to myself, this couldnt be on the movie screen anytime soon. The fights were just too fluid. Transitions from hand to hand to alchemy.  Unless some new cgi starts being used, the action wont look as good as if it were animated.

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

Man this dude suit look like its made out of the stuff in your tub so you don't slip.

The suit is inspired by a Kryptonian armor so the texture has a chainmail inspiration. I believe it would be the type of armor/suit a Kryptonian warrior would wear.

Superman is back! We saw the first footage from the new Superman movie, Man of Steel, and it was pretty electrifying. And yet, somewhat tormented and alienated, as well.

Spoilers ahead...
Top image: Fan art via SupermanofSteel.com, artist unknown.

The overwhelming thing we took away from this special Comic Con trailer was that this is a more alienated Superman — someone who has felt different all his life, and is rebelling against society. Also, the few glimpses of Kryptonian tech we saw in the movie were grungy and sort of squidlike — almost as if Snyder was trying to make up for leaving a squid out of a certain other movie.

The first part of the trailer consisted of scenes of Clark Kent's childhood, intercut with the grown-up Kent walking around a snowy landscape like Alaska or someplace. The childhood glimpses included blades of grass with the Kent farmhouse in the distance, and then a rusty toy wagon on its side, a toy butterfly, and a swingset. Then a little kid wearing a red towel as a cape and running in a field with laundry hanging. There are lots of shots of laundry.

A voiceover says: "What if a child dreamed of being something other than what society intended? What if a child aspired to be something great?" We see the older bearded Clark, looking alienated, as he works at a fishery in the middle of nowhere, struggling with his identity.

And then there is a glimpse of a sequence when Clark is a little kid, and a schoolbus crashes into a river, falling in slow-mo. And then water is flooding inside the bus, and the kids are drowning. And Clark somehow swims up to the emergency door and saves the kids using his superpowers. A woman says in a voiceover, "My son was in the bus. He saw what Clark did."

Kevin Costner, playing Pa Kent, says "People are afraid of what they don't understand." He takes young Clark into the Kent barn with a flashlight. There is a weird dark shape in there, full of tubes and ridges — and like we said, it looks squidlike, or whale-like. "It's not from this world, Clark, and neither are you," says Pa Kent. He hands Clark a small object, like a signet ring, with the "S" shield on it.

And something squid-like lifts up into the air, a small item, levitating.

We see the older bearded Clark saying, "All these questions, like where do I come from." He looks positively grief-stricken and miserable.

Then we hear Pa Kent again: "It was left to you to decide what kind of man you want to be, Clark. Whatever that man is, good or bad, he's going to change the world." ''

And during this, Clark is going into a space in the middle of the tundra — and maybe it's the Fortress? He's wearing The Suit and looking pensive. He closes his eyes for a moment. And then he opens them — and rockets skywards, leaving a little Jetstream behind him. He soars over the clouds like a bullet, and it looks frankly incredible. The flying in this movie looks like nothing we've seen in a superhero movie.

And then there is some weird action with cars and trucks being lifted upwards as if by an anti-gravity ray.

We see a grief-stricken Jor-El (Russell Crowe), exposing the S-Shield on his chest, as if revealing a secret.

And then Clark is in a series of horrible situations — he's being buried in rocks and shouting "NO!" He's on fire and apparently stark naked. He's thrown through the air and through the wall of a building, landing next to a bank vault (as in the photo we've seen.) He's handcuffed, wearing the Superman costume, and being led away by guards. And there's just a glimpse of General Zod, the movie's villain, scowling.

Oh, and Clark is holding a baby protectively, in the middle of a nightmare battle. And we also see Clark kissing Lois, and an explosion on the side of a building, as Metropolis gets trashed. There are also shots of CG blue flames going everywhere.

And Clark says, in a voiceover: "My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they would reject me out of fear. He was convinced the world wasn't ready. What do you think?" And we see Clark walking into the Daily Planet office, past the famous globe and logo, and putting on the glasses.

There are soldiers raising machine guns to Superman — and Superman walks towards them, fearlessly. Smash to the "S" shield.

"Superman is the king daddy of all superheroes," says director Zack Snyder. "To make him work is a big deal."

After directing Watchmen, "having taken the mask so far off superheroes and look into what superheroes are all about," Snyder was clear that this movie was "all about being awesome and all about making him work and making him cool."

In the past, Superman was "this big blue boy scout on a throne that nobody could touch him. But we tried to make him so he could beat the #$#! out of people." And Henry Cavill says he wanted to make a version of Superman that everybody could relate to.

As for General Zod, Zack Snyder refuses to say anything about him, or even admit he's the villain.

Someone in the audience asked whether the Superman movie could possibly lead to a Justice League movie or some other sort of team-up movie. Snyder responded cautiously: "We know that Superman is the jewel in the DC crown and really what we're trying to do is get his house in order. And then who knows what's possible?"

They were able to show Thor, The Hulk, and Ironman using their abilities and fighting without it looking weird.  I hope they can do the same with Superman.  It also worked in The Matrix when Neo was able to fly around like Goku.  A bad example would be how crappy Green Lantern looked.
I disagree with superhero movies having to be darker and that's the only way for them to be epic.  Some people have been drinking too much batman kool-aid.  Films should be light-hearted or more serious according to the material.  Making something more gritty won't work if it doesn't fit the character.  It's not something that would work for Spiderman.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

Man this dude suit look like its made out of the stuff in your tub so you don't slip.

The suit is inspired by a Kryptonian armor so the texture has a chainmail inspiration. I believe it would be the type of armor/suit a Kryptonian warrior would wear.
Well their armor reminds me of the stuff that they put in bath tubs so you don't fall then. Thanks for telling me where that idea of the suit came from though.

Back
Top Bottom