Manger job at local Finishline, Champs, Footaction etc...

why the heck is it sooooo hard to get a job at shoe a shoe store!!!!!! FML 

I guess as a manager you'd do okay..

Sales associates can barely afford the shoes they touch every day, even with the discount.

Get out of those jobs ASAP.

lol yea im currently 5 months into school getting my associate degree.. I wanna have my own shop one day and thought working in a manger position while im in school would be pretty cool.. just because the love I have for sneakers. Problem is its like they never hire. not even at entry level.. seems like people keep those jobs forever. there are more 30+ year old people working at my local Finishline than 19 yr olds like myself. seems really backwards. 

41055_11.jpg

I work at Finish Line and I know first hand.

Manager and school at the same time..... That's not going to fly most of the time. They're going to want your schedule to be as open as possible because you're likely going to be full-time. With that said, you're likely going to have to work open AND close, not one or the other. You can pretty much kiss your weekends goodbye. You'll have no time to study, either. Generally when hiring managers, they try to stray away from the students.

Store manager, forget about it. Minimum of 44 hours a week, required to close at least 3 nights a week, can only have 2 Sundays off a month, and a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited:
I worked at Finishline and had a good time. Fun job overall.

With that being said, don't stay there for too long.

You'd be better working the line in front of the store

Shakedown or wait up, there's profit in the line.

googled their salary...44k
andhonestly... I think that's inflated.

AMs are around 27-35k (they're hourly and commission)

When you start as rookie store manager, you're around 30-35k (straight salary).

Larger store and mega store, managers might be 60s to 100..

But they've been in the game 20+ years, and they're not going to hand it anyone with less than 15 years retail experience.

In 2009 when the economy was in the tank, and I was hustling and selling discounts... Job was cake. They made it so easy to sell your discount because sales were terrible and they just needed to move product

I remember when air force ones first came off the exclusion list for the %50 off.... :pimp:

But now? Pshhh...

You're better off working retail elsewhere.

I'll be frank... Owning a shoe store SEEMS cool now...

But I've managed and worked in athletic footwear for 5 years.

You realize how unimportant shoes are.

You realize how crappy the job pays

Go into mattress sales or cell phone sales. Trust me, famb.

You'll make 3x as much, not have to deal with entitled "sneakerheads", and still maintain your passion for shoes.

andhonestly... I think that's inflated.

AMs are around 27-35k (they're hourly and commission)

When you start as rookie store manager, you're around 30-35k (straight salary).

Larger store and mega store, managers might be 60s to 100..

But they've been in the game 20+ years, and they're not going to hand it anyone with less than 15 years retail experience.

In 2009 when the economy was in the tank, and I was hustling and selling discounts... Job was cake. They made it so easy to sell your discount because sales were terrible and they just needed to move product

I remember when air force ones first came off the exclusion list for the %50 off.... :pimp:

But now? Pshhh...

You're better off working retail elsewhere.

I'll be frank... Owning a shoe store SEEMS cool now...

But I've managed and worked in athletic footwear for 5 years.

You realize how unimportant shoes are.

You realize how crappy the job pays

Go into mattress sales or cell phone sales. Trust me, famb.

You'll make 3x as much, not have to deal with entitled "sneakerheads", and still maintain your passion for shoes.

My girl used to sell designer handbags at Nordstrom..... $$$$$!!!!!

I hear the guys in designer shoes make bank, too.

Part time, if your doing it on your terms and mainly just for the discount while in school and on a work schedule that works around your school schedule is a good look.

But anything else isn't worth it. You mentioned the influx of 30+ people in these stores. Sadly its because they want people like that who need the job. Most retail jobs don't want to hire a student for a high ranking position because school schedule and work schedule tend to conflict.

When I was an assistant manager at an old spot I worked at, my manager as well as managers from other stores, discouraged employees from going to school and would make a stink when employees would give them their school schedule or request days off for school. I get it from the companies perspective, they would rather have an employee who can be on hand to work as much as possible, but seeing how some of the retail stores I worked at in the past were when it came to some of their employees going to school, it left a bad impression.

School isn't the end all be all and while it helps get your foot in the door, it doesn't guarantee anything but I can see how some shoe store employees fall in that cycle and start young and still end up their in their 30's. no diss to them, if they like the job that's cool.

But they start young, get decent hours at the expense of having a decent school schedule or outside of work time. Get a few raises and perhaps become a manager of a smaller level store and get an income that while isn't terrible, isn't anything great ether. At this time their about 24 now and going to school just doesn't seem like an option anymore so they just stay at that job. This has been the case of a few friends I know management wise in sneaker stores, some are cool with it and moved up to decent salaries. Some feel stuck where their at. Depends on the person I guess.

Back
Top Bottom