meet Terrence Wise, a 36 year old, 2nd-generation fast-food worker

No idea where you guys are now, but on topic, while minimum is absolutely not liveable, and life has its variables, this man hasn't figured something out in 20 years. I don't like the idea of him being the face of this.

This guy is the face of minimum wage. Who else could it be? Someone who started at minimum wage and moved up? :rolleyes

No idea where you guys are now, but on topic, while minimum is absolutely not liveable, and life has its variables, this man hasn't figured something out in 20 years. I don't like the idea of him being the face of this.

I get what you're saying. He shouldn't be the poster person for bringing awareness to people who don't necessarily the reasons how and why poverty is perpetual. Although I don't think he's the best learning example I still think he's an example of how poverty spits out people who aren't cable of being effectively self sufficient and few if any life skills

This guy is the face of minimum wage. Who else could it be? Someone who started at minimum wage and moved up?
eyes.gif
imo that person should be the face of minimum wage. *shrugs*

imo that person should be the face of minimum wage. *shrugs*

But he represents a minority of people on minimum wage.

So who else represents minimum wage better than this guy? High school students? Single mothers? Gas station employees? This dude has been living on minimum wage for years. He is the ******* representative.

I get what you're saying. He shouldn't be the poster person for bringing awareness to people who don't necessarily the reasons how and why poverty is perpetual. Although I don't think he's the best learning example I still think he's an example of how poverty spits out people who aren't cable of being effectively self sufficient and few if any life skills

This is true. You could also say that people who aren't capable of being effectively self sufficient, and have few if any life skills ,aren't worth more than minimum wage to a business.

Last edited:
[/quote]
i think if the quality of education was significantly improved from the ground up, early on, i think more people would be motivated to seek higher education, and i daresay even STEM degrees, if the math and science education was robust enough. i'd bet money on this, and i wish there was a study on this :nerd: but from my observation, most people who shy away from higher education, let alone hard degrees like engineering, is because they don't feel confident in their academic abilities and feel they will not succeed.

and that's not right.

and as for bachelors vs associates...idk, but all i'd say is that there def needs to be a restriction on what degrees people can graduate in. there are way too many people graduating in ******** that won't land them a job, but universities see fit to rake in the profits from said education...which kind of defeats the purpose of getting the college education in the first place.

i will also concede that we do need lower level workers because, **** someone has to do the job. and that's all right.

No there doesn't. Universities aren't trade schools and shouldn't be treated as such. If someone wants to major in the Liberal Arts, Social Sciences, Comms, Social Work, etc let them. We need educators, economists and other types that help keep culture alive. If everyone went into STEM, like a Bachelor's essentially becoming valued less, wages would drop dramatically. The reason why STEM majors make the wages they do is because they are scarce in number. Everyone doesn't complete the four year program because of how rigorous the curriculum is or another reason. If those majors weren't propped by the military industrial complex, there'd be a lot of people struggling out there like their counterparts who didn't take care of business in school.

Last edited:
So who else represents minimum wage better than this guy? High school students? Single mothers? Gas station employees? This dude has been living on minimum wage for years. He is the ******* representative.

im looking at it like the face of minimum wage should be the guy that had a minimum wage job to hold it down while he worked hard to get himself in a better situation and a better job. 

i worked minimum wage as a high school student and it gave me all the motivation i needed. 

i didn't have a way for paying for college and i didn't want the student debt so i joined the military, served, my 4 years, saved a lot of money, traveled the world, got out, had school payed for and a place to live, finished school, found a career i love and got hired, and now im living great and im only looking up. 

why does the face of minimum wage have to be some guy with 3 kids who never strived for something greater?  

a lot of my friends are uneducated and all of them are making more than minimum wage.  no one should never settle for minimum wage. its called minimum wage for a reason...and this guy isn't starving to death so i think minimum wage is doing its job.

key word MINIMUM

but i dont think minimum wage should be increased...thats the difference we have

Last edited:
I dont respect the lack of ambition.

But i wouldnt mind them getting liveable flow, why not.

U can wait table or bartend or cook and make money, no excuse to be grown and work at bk

im looking at it like the face of minimum wage should be the guy that had a minimum wage job to hold it down while he worked hard to get himself in a better situation and a better job. 

i worked minimum wage as a high school student and it gave me all the motivation i needed. 

i didn't have a way for paying for college and i didn't want the student debt so i joined the military, served, my 4 years, saved a lot of money, traveled the world, got out, had school payed for and a place to live, finished school, found a career i love and got hired, and now im living great and im only looking up. 

why does the face of minimum wage have to be some guy with 3 kids who never strived for something greater?  
a lot of my friends are uneducated and all of them are making more than minimum wage.  no one should never settle for minimum wage. its called minimum wage for a reason...and this guy isn't starving to death so i think minimum wage is doing its job.

key word MINIMUM

but i dont think minimum wage should be increased...thats the difference we have

We are on the same page. Basically you are saying that minimum wage can be overcome with hard work and ambition. I agree. This dude is fully representative of a need for a higher minimum wage in the eyes of some people. If you realize that minimum wage can be overcome and more can be earned, then there really isn't a need for an increase. If you are the representative, then we see that it is possible to survive and overcome on a meager wage.My main issue (aside from the Constitutionality) is the effect on small business. A privately owned restaurant operates on a smaller profit than a company like Wal Mart. When the minimum raise is upped, especially in such a drastic manner, it cuts deep into the pockets and profits of the small business owner. Wal Mart can deal with it, but it could put certain people out of business.

I wasn't referring to the Terrance guy. I was referring to the idea of someone who was on minimum wage and worked their way up shouldn't be the face of it because that would represent a minority of people on minimum wage

I dont respect the lack of ambition.

But i wouldnt mind them getting liveable flow, why not.

U can wait table or bartend or cook and make money, no excuse to be grown and work at bk

but most of people who work at fast food companies are grown

that whole "it's for teens" is false, teens can't get these jobs because grown people are keeping these jobs

That wouldn't really make sense since the whole point is that a significant portion of the American workforce is earning low wages. You should refer to the statistics provided in this topic. The majority of the American workforce earns less than $30,000 per year. The majority of people in low income brackets rarely move out.

How do you know he didn't strive for something greater? Where are all these jobs that would allow every person earning low wages to move up in the world? 

key word MINIMUM

I agree with you 100% as well but I'm starting to think we want to increase minimum wage is because we as a country wants minimum wage workers to get paid more so our fellow countrymen can live better. we don't care whether they are ambitious or tried to make progress to get a job that pays better than a minimum wage. we want them to get paid more because we see that they aren't bums who are living off Fed assistance programs and are actually putting in work.

I wasn't referring to the Terrance guy. I was referring to the idea of someone who was on minimum wage and worked their way up shouldn't be the face of it because that would represent a minority of people on minimum wage

I see. I would like to see some stats on this. I would think that someone like Terrence Wise is the minority, but I may be wrong.

How do you know he didn't strive for something greater? Where are all these jobs that would allow every person earning low wages to move up in the world? 
There are no asterisks on the scoreboard of life.

Life's not fair in this regard. You either go get it or you don't.

I personally experienced this after working minimum wage and moving up. Keep striving and don't ever give yourself any excuses.

I see. I would like to see some stats on this. I would think that someone like Terrence Wise is the minority, but I may be wrong.

Well we know that 70% of people who are born in poverty remain there. Maybe I'm wrong in assuming this but I would assume people who make minimum wage and are poor remain are a part of that 70% as well. Based on that I think it's safe to say far more poor people living in poverty and are making minimum wage will stay at that level than those that rise out of poverty. If that makes any sense

Well we know that 70% of people who are born in poverty remain there. Maybe I'm wrong in assuming this but I would assume people who make minimum wage and are poor remain are a part of that 70% as well. Based on that I think it's safe to say far more poor people living in poverty and are making minimum wage will stay at that level than those that rise out of poverty. If that makes any sense
Additionally, we know that around half of American workers make less than $30,000 per year. I'm wondering where all these decent paying jobs are that low wage earners can attain. 

Makes sense. So Terrence Wise is a good representation of the average minimum wage worker in this country.

I feel more for the children living in poverty than anyone.

Article from this year with 2013 stats.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...g-poverty-now-than-during-recession/30415391/

i9f3qV4.png

Article from October last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-s-is-among-the-worst-in-the-developed-world/

mLrgUy1.jpg

"It's also important to note that a household income of $30,000 puts you in roughly the richest 1.23 percent of the world's population. The report doesn't deal with the type of extreme poverty you see in the poor and developing worlds, where roughly 2.7 billion people are trying to get by on less than two dollars per day."

These stats are skewed and somewhat misleading..Poverty in Mex ain't the same as poverty in the US of A. Kids in "poverty" in the US have running water and plenty of food/healthcare provided for by working taxpayers. People in poverty in Mex might live in a house literally made out of cardboard, with zero government assistance.

"I feel more for the children living in poverty than anyone. "

Me too.

Back
Top Bottom