Mel Kiper's 2008 NFL Mock Draft vol. no mcshay riders

A few notes from my first first-round projection for April's NFL draft:

• The Miami Dolphins need help on defense and Bill Parcells is a defensive-minded coach, so DT Glenn Dorsey would be the logical pick. And while theDolphins could listen to trade offers for the top pick, there has not been a lot of movement in the top 10 in recent drafts. Why did Adrian Peterson slip toNo. 7 last year? Because teams weren't willing to trade up knowing they would have to part with draft picks and pay more money for the higher pick. Alsofor Miami, QB Matt Ryan has to be in the discussion because the Dolphins may not be sold on John Beck (a second-round pick last year). Miami needs quarterbackhelp and Ryan is going to be a top-five pick. Ryan might be too good to pass up, and he's a better prospect than Beck was when he came out of BYU lastyear. (Ryan is the only QB I am projecting will go in the first round).

• St. Louis will likely go with Long -- either Chris or Jake. Although the Rams drafted defensive tackle Adam Carriker last year, I could see them takingVirginia defensive end Chris Long. He's similar to Dorsey in that he plays with tremendous intensity and makes everyone around him better. If the Ramsdon't go with Chris Long, then Michigan left tackle Jake Long should be the pick since they could use help on the offensive line.

• The Atlanta Falcons should be in a good spot to upgrade at either running back or quarterback, so Darren McFadden or Matt Ryan could be the choice. I likeRyan here because this is a franchise that is in desperate need of a quarterback after going from Michael Vick to Joey Harrington to Byron Leftwich beforefinishing the season with Chris Redman.

• If Atlanta doesn't take McFadden, then Oakland will. (Remember, Oakland and Atlanta have a coin toss to determine who picks third overall.) Afterdrafting first overall in 2007, Oakland could be looking at getting the best player in the draft if McFadden is available.

Also, there are only 31 selections in the first round this year because the New England Patriots had to forfeit their pick after illegally videotapingsignals during their Week 1 game against the New York Jets.

The draft projections below are not based on ratings, but on information I have gathered and where I think teams will go based on needs. The first-roundprojections will be updated Jan. 31 following evaluations from the Senior Bowl.

* denotes underclassman; ** denotes teams that will decide draft order by coin flip.
[table][tr][td]Kiper's First-Round Projection[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Team[/td] [td]Player[/td] [td]Position[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]Miami Dolphins[/td] [td]Glenn Dorsey, DT[/td] [td]LSU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]St. Louis Rams[/td] [td]Chris Long, DE[/td] [td]Virginia[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]Atlanta Falcons**[/td] [td]Matt Ryan, QB[/td] [td]Boston College[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]Oakland Raiders**[/td] [td]*Darren McFadden, RB[/td] [td]Arkansas[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]Kansas City Chiefs**[/td] [td]Jake Long, OT[/td] [td]Michigan[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]New York Jets[/td] [td]*Vernon Gholston, DE[/td] [td]Ohio St.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]New England Patriots (from SF)[/td] [td]*Aqib Talib, CB[/td] [td]Kansas[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]Baltimore Ravens[/td] [td]Sedrick Ellis, DT[/td] [td]USC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td]Cincinnati Bengals[/td] [td]*Phillip Merling, DE[/td] [td]Clemson[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]New Orleans Saints[/td] [td]Kentwan Balmer, DT[/td] [td]North Carolina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]Buffalo Bills[/td] [td]*Malcolm Kelly, WR[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]Denver Broncos[/td] [td]*Ryan Clady, OT[/td] [td]Boise St.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]Carolina Panthers[/td] [td]Jeff Otah, OT[/td] [td]Pittsburgh[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]Chicago Bears[/td] [td]Sam Baker, OT[/td] [td]USC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td]Detroit Lions[/td] [td]Leodis McKelvin, CB[/td] [td]Troy[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td]Arizona Cardinals[/td] [td]*Jonathan Stewart, RB[/td] [td]Oregon[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [td]Minnesota Vikings[/td] [td]*DeSean Jackson, WR[/td] [td]California[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [td]Houston Texans[/td] [td]Mike Jenkins, CB[/td] [td]South Florida[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [td]Philadelphia Eagles[/td] [td]Chris Williams, OT[/td] [td]Vanderbilt[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [td]Tampa Bay Buccaneers[/td] [td]*Felix Jones, RB[/td] [td]Arkansas[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [td]Washington ********[/td] [td]*Calais Campbell, DE[/td] [td]Miami[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]Dallas Cowboys (from CLE)[/td] [td]*Mario Manningham, WR[/td] [td]Michigan[/td] [/tr][tr][td]23[/td] [td]Pittsburgh Steelers[/td] [td]*Chilo Rachal, OG[/td] [td]USC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24[/td] [td]Tennessee Titans[/td] [td]Limas Sweed, WR[/td] [td]Texas[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25[/td] [td]Seattle Seahawks[/td] [td]Fred Davis, TE[/td] [td]USC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]26[/td] [td]Jacksonville Jaguars[/td] [td]*Derrick Harvey, DE[/td] [td]Florida[/td] [/tr][tr][td]27[/td] [td]San Diego Chargers[/td] [td]*Reggie Smith, CB[/td] [td]Oklahoma[/td] [/tr][tr][td]28[/td] [td]Dallas Cowboys[/td] [td]*Rashard Mendenhall, RB[/td] [td]Illinois[/td] [/tr][tr][td]29[/td] [td]San Francisco 49ers (from IND)[/td] [td]*James Hardy, WR[/td] [td]Indiana[/td] [/tr][tr][td]30[/td] [td]Green Bay Packers[/td] [td]Keith Rivers, LB[/td] [td]USC[/td] [/tr][tr][td]31[/td] [td]New York Giants[/td] [td]Dan Connor, LB[/td] [td]Penn St.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]32[/td] [td]New England Patriots[/td] [td]Forfeited pick[/td] [/tr][/table]

eek.gif
Mel got Felix up to tampa.

Thats Big.

i'm going to assume that the Ravens are falling in love with Troy Smith behind closed doors if they're not considering taking the best QB availableafter Matt Ryan
tired.gif

It seems like Manningham is coming to Big D.

But MendenHall
eek.gif
but
pimp.gif
. Him and Mb3.

Oakland in the future. D-Mac and Russel.
pimp.gif
they could be great if they get a line.

The biggest surprise is seeing Kentwan Balmer in the top 10. Most mock drafts I had seen had him a late first or 2nd rd pick.

Rashard Mendenhall
pimp.gif
I'd be ECSTATIC if the Cowboys got him... I'd rather have Reggie Smith at 22 than Mario Manningham, though.

nerd.gif
Mel got like 4 Cbs comin off theboard in round 1 and no sign of Cason's name.

and he only has one round 1 QB.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

nerd.gif
Mel got like 4 Cbs comin off the board in round 1 and no sign of Cason's name.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

No love for the Thorpe winner.

If this is the 1st round, the 2nd and 3rd rounds are gonna be huge for some teams... lots of big names and good players not on that list.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Rashard Mendenhall
pimp.gif
I'd be ECSTATIC if the Cowboys got him... I'd rather have Reggie Smith at 22 than Mario Manningham, though.

As well. I would like Mendenhall. I don't really like Manningham. I would prefer someone else at WR or a DB.

-Falcons will get Matt Ryan most likely.
-Eagles - I think Jeff Otah would be better, but I wouldn't mind Chris Williams.
-D-Mac as a Raider
smokin.gif
altrhough I don't like Oakland, but FelixJones would be a good complement for the Cadillac in Tampa if he is drafted by the Bucs.

I'll burn down The Linc if Reid takes an O-Lineman instead of D. Jackson or C. Campbell.

Originally Posted by zwchris

I'll burn down The Linc if Reid takes an O-Lineman instead of D. Jackson or C. Campbell.
Nah O-Line is the Eagles' biggest priority this offseason. The Eagles O-Line allowed 49 sacks, fifth highest in the league this season, and weneed pass protection for Donovan McNabb. Plus both tackles Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan are near the end of their careers.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Rashard Mendenhall
pimp.gif

yes, i'd like to see mendenhall in big d as well.

and i'll agree with you on reggie smith instead of mario manningham. or i'd rather see them take a cornerback in the first round rather than areceiver.

but i do hope that the cowboys pick up another receiver in the second or third round.

Yup....I'm down to get McFadden...but like i said before, I'd rather trade down and get more pics and pick up a WR more than anything...but I won'targue with picking up McFadden...

Back
Top Bottom