Memphis Grizzlies 2012 Offseason Thread

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley says there are no plans to trade Rudy Gay

The man writing checks to pay Rudy Gay’s NBA maximum salary said today that he has no plan to sign off on trading the Grizzlies’ promising yet often maligned small forward.

Reports persist that the Griz are shopping Gay to shed payroll and acquire a draft pick in the lottery. But Griz owner Michael Heisley says that just isn’t the case.

“We’re not looking to trade Rudy Gay,

indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif
@ your avy

Sources told ESPN.com that Heisley has an agreement in principle to sell the team to communications technology magnate Robert Pera, who at 34 has a spot on Forbes' list of the 10 youngest billionaries in the world.

The purchase price is in the $350 million range, sources said. A formal announcement to publicize the agreement between the parties is expected this week, possibly as soon as later Monday, with NBA Board of Governors approval then required before Pera can be officially installed as successor to Heisley, who recently turned 75.

Sources say that Pera intends to keep the team in Memphis. The Grizzlies' lease at the FedExForum, furthermore, ties the team to the city until the year 2021, with steep financial penalties attached to breaking that lease.

[h3]
[h3]Draft Preview: Breaking Down the Grizzlies Options at #25[/h3][h4]POSTED BY CHRIS HERRINGTON ON WED, JUN 27, 2012 AT 12:09 PM[/h4]
After yesterday's final workout, featuring Kentucky point guard Marquis Teague, Grizzlies Player Personnel Director Tony Barone Sr. was asked about the likelihood that the team's pick at #25 in Thursday night's NBA Draft would come from the pool of players that had been in for a workout. He put it at 60 percent. A few minutes later, I posed the same question to Scouting Director Tony Barone Jr., who put the odds at 70 percent.

With that in mind, I'm going to focus on the — by my count — 10 draft-worthy players that were brought in:

My Pick: If I had my choice of this group it would be Michigan State forward Draymond Green. If the Grizzlies went with Green it would be seen as going for “best player available
[/h3]

Wroten
pimp.gif
 I wanted PJ3 since he fell to us, but Wroten is cool too. I'm just glad we didn't go with the safe pick and we got a player with a skillset that we never had.

He is probably the first elite body control athlete we have ever had in Memphis.  A guy that just can maneuver around traffic and finish especially with the ball in their hands. Wade adds super elite explosion and crazy reach to go with his. Tyreke has the crazy reach. Wroten is not as long but taller and more point guardish.

Wroten and Selby is going to put on a show in summer league.
laugh.gif

Now, I think its time to spend money on a vet shooter for once. The front office mentioned in the presser that their focus will be a shooter and a vet PG. I think they want Wroten to stick to being a combo guard and defending the other teams 2nd best periemter threat, while being a playmaker on the offensive end.

With free agency coming up, we have to see if they will extend the QO to Arthur, Speights and OJ. I'm sure there will be some kinda S&T with one of these guys and they will keep one.

DA and Speights extended qualifying offers. About $7 million combined, putting the team close to the luxury tax.

Bye Juice.

Conley
QPon-Wroten
Gay
ZBO-DA
Gasol-Mo

I think those 8 are here to stay. I don't really see Mo or DA wanting to leave and no team will offer them so unbelievable deal. It wouldn't shock me if they find a way to move TA, Cunningham, Selby for a nice piece.

I can't wait to see defenses pack it on this team and force them to shoot.

Originally Posted by PMatic

I can't wait to see defenses pack it on this team and force them to shoot.

Hopefully, they address this need and then it'll be very tough to stop us.
laugh.gif

One of the best defensive teams in the NBA over the past two seasons is going on a major offensive in free agency.

The Grizzlies have made veteran sharpshooter Ray Allen a prime offseason target and planned to contact him late Saturday night in the first step of what promises to be a strong pursuit of the NBA's all-time leading three-point shooter.

Memphis, according to sources familiar with the team's plans, will offer Allen its full mid-level exception ($5 million) in hopes of luring him away from other suitors — such as Miami — with only the mini-mid-level ($3 million) to spend.

Teams could negotiate with free agents beginning at 11:01 p.m. Saturday night. Contracts can't be signed until July 11.

The Griz have set their free-agent sights high. They intend to come away with an accomplished shooter or point guard.

Los Angeles Clippers guard Randy Foye, Atlanta's Kirk Hinrich and Denver's Andre Miller are also on the Grizzlies' wish list. The Griz expect to go into the luxury tax this season as owner Michael Heisley has given general manager Chris Wallace permission to use the full mid-level exception.

"We're on the cusp of competing for a championship and now is the time to make a strong push," Heisley said. "I think anybody would be interested in looking at this team right now."

Allen, who will be 37 years old on July 20, could be viewed as a long shot given his reaction to a reported trade that would have sent him to Memphis last season at the trade deadline. Allen expressed displeasure about the idea of leaving Boston for Memphis in a trade for O.J. Mayo. The deal fell apart at the last minute.

The Griz might have to combat Allen's perception of playing in Memphis with Boston, which has cap space and Allen's Bird Rights. The Celtics could pay him more than any team. Phoenix also is expected to chase Allen and could have $20 million in cap space.

There will be other contenders in line for Allen's services.

The Griz will likely have to spend the full mid-level on a high-caliber free agent, meaning they will land either a shooter or point guard.

Miller is a player the Griz have coveted in the past. The 36-year-old is as durable as he is proficient having missed just three games due to injury in 13 NBA seasons. Foye, 28, is younger and averaged 11 points per game with the Clippers last season, when he shot 40 percent overall and 39 percent from three-point range.

Hinrich averaged 6.6 points on 41-percent shooting last season.

It's unlikely that the Griz can acquire a shooter and backup point guard in free agency with just the mid-level exception. Plus, Memphis intends to re-sign restricted free agent forwards Darrell Arthur and Marreese Speights. The team also maintains interest in center Hamed Haddadi.

Wallace didn't rule out trading possibilities to satisfy a need.

The Griz have a $1.3 million trade exception available to use before next season's trade deadline. Memphis can trade for a player into that salary. The exception was created when the Griz traded swingman Sam Young to Philadelphia at the deadline last season.

Expect the Griz to complete offseason dealings with outside targets before coming to terms with their own free agents.

"We intend to be very aggressive seeking out opportunities that can address our areas of need," Wallace said. "It's a process. It's impossible to predict what direction (free agency) will go or a timetable. ... But we do have a good product to sell."
I'm cool with Allen, Miller or Hinrcich. I don't really care for Foye that much.

Revisiting the list of preferred Free Agents by order of preference (Fit with team; Role Playing ability; Potential Starter in future)
Shooters - purely guys that are good 3pt shooter and jumpshooters (Career 3pt % in paranthesis)

Courtney Lee, Houston Rockets (.386)
Brandon Rush, Golden State Warriors (.413)
Danny Green, San Antonio Spurs (.418 )
Gerald Green, Brooklyn Nets(.366 )
Ray Allen, Boston Celtics (.400 )
Marco Belinelli, New Orleans Hornets (.393)
Nick Young, L.A. Clippers (.378 )
Carlos Delfino, Milwaukee Bucks (.362)
J.R Smith, New York Knicks (.369)

List of combo guards (play either PG/SG and decent to good shooters)

Delonte West, Dallas Mavericks (.372)
Alexy Shved, CSKA (?)
Randy Foye, L.A. Clippers (.366 )
Kirk Hinrich, Atlanta Hawks (.378 )
Jordan Farmar, Brooklyn Nets (.367)
Keyon Dooling, Boston Celtics (.349)

Purely PGs

Patty Mills, San Antonio Spurs (.378 )
Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers ( .330 )
Royal Ivey, Oklahoma City Thunder (.347)
Aaron Brooks, Phoenix Suns (.363)
Sundiata Gaines, Brooklyn Nets (.301)

Wallace mentioned today that he has contacted about 15 players (and their agents) since free agency started.

didnt even know this part of NT existed til today (The Sports Fourm) but i found my new favorite thread 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 2hotallday

smile.gif
didnt even know this part of NT existed til today (The Sports Fourm) but i found my new favorite thread 
smile.gif

pimp.gif
 welcome aboard

Quick notes on schedule:

- Season opens @LAC on 10/31
- 8 national TV games (not including NBATV); 2 of those games are against OKC
- home opener is on Nov. 5th vs Utah
- from Nov. 11th-Nov.16th, we have MIA, OKC and NYK in 3 straight games
- back-to-back ESPN games on the 14th and 16th against OKC and NYK
- OJ Mayo returns to Memphis on December 21st (1st game vs Dallas)
- we play Indiana for MLK Day
- 14 back to backs (if I counted that correctly)

As far as the offseason goes, we addressed every need. we are still looking for a solid 5th big, though. Whether we re-sign Haddadi and pick up someone else remains to be seen. We now have a legit backup PG behind Conley in Bayless. Selby may end up turning into Mayo 2.0. Ellington can become the shooter we were missing when teams pack it in on ZBO and Marc. We kept both Arthur and Speights, which was pleasantly shocking. We are a lot more versatile than before.

PG: Conley / Bayless / Wroten
SG: Allen / Selby / Ellington
SF: Gay / Pondexter
PF: Randolph / Arthur
C: Gasol / Speights

I'll be interested in seeing who wins those backup SG minutes between Selby and Ellington. Wroten will probably see a lot of time in the D League, but some minutes early on throughout the season. If Lionel uses a 9-man rotation, Speights may be the odd man out as he likes to play Arthur at the 5 a lot as well. Bayless, Pondexter and Arthur are probably getting the most minutes off the bench. Last minutes would go between Ellington and Selby.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom