Metreon Killing Over Escalator Incident

Wow...
A 15-year-old San Francisco youth facing charges in the weekend slaying at the Metreon shopping center told police that he opened fire after he got into an argument over the victim's having not traveled fast enough down an escalator, investigators said Monday.

The victim, Michael Price Jr., 18, of Oakland was leaving the gaming arcade at the complex at Fourth and Mission streets with his cousin and friends at the time of the shooting at 7 p.m. Sunday.

As Price was going down the escalator, the unidentified teenage suspect behind him complained to a friend who was with him about the man ahead simply standing on the escalator step rather than walking as the escalator went down.

Once they were down the escalator, an argument began. Witnesses said the youth threatened to open fire during the argument, saying, "I'll pop a cap in your+%*%."

The suspect told police that Price turned around and appeared to take a fighting position and that was when the 15-year-old got out the gun and fired.

"This was a senseless, stupid shooting," said Inspector Mike Mahoney of the San Francisco police homicide detail. "He wasn't walking fast enough - that is what he told me.

"This never should have happened."

Price was shot at least three times and died at San Francisco General Hospital at 7:30 p.m.

The suspect was quickly arrested with the help of police Capt. Dan McDonagh, who was helping to supervise police patrols at the nearby Oracle Corp. conference and saw the youth running.

"He had the gun in his hand," said McDonagh. "I drew my weapon. He turned and ran down the traffic lane. He turned again, but there were so many people around. He fled. I chased him up into Bloomingdale's. It was quite a chase. He was knocking things over. But when he got out of Bloomingdale's, there were units right there, and they grabbed him."

Along the way, the suspect dumped the gun on the street, he said.

"It was a quick chase, but it was long for me," McDonagh said.

The youth was on probation at the time stemming from a grand theft case.

Price's mother, Davida Jeffries, said her son was a student at the Dewey Academy in Oakland. She said a cousin of the victim who was at the scene told her that he warned Price that the 15-year-old, who had talked about shooting, could be armed.

"I think he really has a gun, come on, let's go," the cousin reportedly told Price. As the group walked away, "That is when he fired the gun," Jeffries said, citing the cousin's account.

"He was a really sweet kid - he did well at school," Jeffries said of Price. "They shot him as he was leaving."

Sunday's slaying was the second fatal shooting near the Metreon since September. On Sept. 16, San Francisco resident Ronald Jacques, 27, was shot to death outside Jillian's restaurant and nightclub. The incident began as a fistfight between two men, witnesses said, then escalated into a brawl involving more than a dozen people. Police accused Kenoye Stroman, 23, of Oakland, of firing several shots into the crowd, killing Jacques and injuring a woman, then fleeing in a limousine.

San Francisco police chased the limousine and pulled it over in Oakland, where Stroman was arrested on suspicion of murder.

Metreon officials did not return calls seeking comment about the latest slaying

indifferent.gif
SMH what has happened to America's youth?
tired.gif

RIP to the guy- what a really stupid thing to get killed over...i hope they throw the book at the 15 year old...

this part stood out to me...
was leaving the gaming arcade at the complex at Fourth and Mission streets

they closed the arcade at the metreon months ago...weird...

Damn people be ready to kill for anything these days. Im glad he was caught, and RIP to the person that was shot.

My goodness, first the 14 year olds kill other 14 year olds in Alameda for a couple dollars. Now we got 15 year olds killing 18 year olds because of how theystand on an escalator? There is a serious problem here! We are letting these kids get away with too much and its a shame they take it this far.

One idiot is ruining it for everyone! Honestly, how do we fix this? Do we need airport like security in every single building? I am absolutely appalled rightnow.

When I read the title I was like, how he get killed just standing on the escalator? Did it malfunction or something?

But anyways RIP.

tired.gif

smh.gif
The suspect told police that Price turned around and appeared to take a fighting position and that was when the 15-year-old got out the gun and fired.

What a +$*@#, don't kids know how to fight these days?

Its sad that someone had to die over something so foolish but that 15yr old was on a mission to bust his gun on someone for any reason

IM ALL FOR THE CURFEW NOW. I HAVE A 2 Year old And A 5 YEAR OLD. They dont need to be around these type of teens. Little punk didnt fight, instead he shot thekid while he was walking away. COWARD. I hope he gets rapped in jail.

I really don't even know what to say. This is just a ridiculous situation that simply shouldn't happen.
smh.gif

Damn...that kid is as low as it gets. I'm glad I stopped going to Metreon because that place is full of lowlives. I can't get past the fact that thekid shot the guy as he was walking away...WHAT A %%!+!!
smh.gif

the great state of california is gonna make a prime example of this young man............................scratch that, little boy.

What the hell is going on with today's youth? People's getting killed for how they ride the escalator?

RIP
tired.gif

Originally Posted by zs05wc

smh.gif
What a +$*@#, don't kids know how to fight these days?

A lot of these dudes in the bay are corny. The ones that act hard are usually with a group or they got some type of weapon on them or near by. Theyre alsothe ones that you see in the corner of your eye muggin you but when you look at them, they look away. You rarely see anybody fight one on one anymore.

I hope the kid becomes the belle of the ball in prison. Shooting over moving slowly down an escalator? What is that? That's ridiculous.

I cannot stand people who do not adhere to the rules of the escalator while going into/out of BART stations, but popping someone for it?

Wow.

Kids, SMH.

i got over to the metreon just after it happened to see lions for lambs with the lady.. could have been 3 in me, and this is why people go out to theburbs...and this is what kills businesses.

Back
Top Bottom