Michigan Senate passes bill on drug test for welfare receivers

You wanna rely on the gov't gotta play by their rules. I can't stand the gov't so you won't see me asking for favors I don't want them to feel like I owe them shhh.

You wanna rely on the gov't gotta play by their rules. I can't stand the gov't so you won't see me asking for favors I don't want them to feel like I owe them shhh.
Pretty much, damn a handout.

Is there any concrete evidence that supports the notion that a good majority of people in Michigan that receive welfare are drug users??  Or is this just an assumption by some of the politicians??
I know tons of people in there late 20s-30s on welfare, but popping mollies like Steve Francis and up in the club like Dirk Nowitzki all turned up off ecstasy and other illegal substances, including that smack
You know TONS of people in there late 20's-30's using drugs and on welfare huh??  Sure you do champ.   

This was tried in Florida, ended up costing the state more and the positive testing was very minimal. Just another way to demonize the poor.

It did help that the testing clinics were owned by the governors wife though, no conflict of interest there.

yep. drug testing is a good business.

Urinalysis cost company around 30 dollars per test and hair is like 70 from what I hear. On top of the cost for a background test.
Something else that hinders the applicant process for jobs.

Just another way to isolate a particular demographic.

It's 2014. And the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Yep. This is exactly what this is. The man trying to keep us down.

No accountability for the welfare recipients who somehow have money to buy weed, coke, and pills.

Cant tell if sarcasm.
yep. drug testing is a good business.

Urinalysis cost company around 30 dollars per test and hair is like 70 from what I hear. On top of the cost for a background test.
Something else that hinders the applicant process for jobs.
Some companies like mine, Hilton are no longer requiring drug tests in the screening process... You'd be surprised how much it gets people back in the door for an interview opposed to when they're told they have to head down to the local Med facility to get urine tested.  Its a huge saving's in not only money but time wasted from interviewing people and never seeing them again because they know they have dirty urine.

Quote:
“The companies we give tax breaks to are not required to be drug tested. We give out tax credits to schools, students and police and fire, and now the only ones subject to drug screening are the poorest of the poor.”
Lol at that Senator saying this. Fireman and Policeman are tested though. But really, how is the welfare program suppose to work for those on it when SOME people are using it for drugs? I am for helping people out, but not those that are abusing it.

they need do this for ny, nj, ct
And MA 
mean.gif

Love this idea though 

You know TONS of people in there late 20's-30's using drugs and on welfare huh??  Sure you do champ.   

Yes I do. I don't know what's so far fetched about that

And this includes molly popping college students who are receiving food stamps

Last edited:
meh users gonnna use regardless

Exactly the point on why this bill needs to pass NATIONALLY.

If you can't stop then don't expect 'handouts' from the Govt. It's either receive assistance, a roof over your head, and food for your children or do illegal drugs? Not a hard choice if I was in that position considering there are other substances like alcohol.

Florida has implemented a similar program and referred about 22% of recipients for drug testing. Only 5% tested positive for drug use.

So in Fl, 1 out of 4 whom were tested didn't pass. Looks like these programs somewhat works.

You guys sound like the kids in school who would beg to take names when the teacher had to leave the classroom :smh:

The kids who ask for more homework when the teacher almost forgets...smh

Good. Like you said, if you're buying drugs and using then you shouldn't expect the government to help you get through life.

The family gets welfare from the parent/guardian. Because of this law if the parent is dipping into that to buy drugs it means the children would be cut off as well. Regardless of if the parent is using the welfare funds for drugs or not. They could be getting drugs from elsewhere. But all are harmed.

Ignore that poverty/crime/drugs all go hand in hand and are a direct result of previous and coming laws that Republicans put in place to pin down the lower classes.

But good right?

P.S. You guys sound like fools with your "if it's a choice between drugs and a roof over your heads or food just don't use, it's easy."

Because all drug addicts are addicts because they just feel like getting high sometimes. Addiction is that simple.

Last edited:
This was tried in Florida, ended up costing the state more and the positive testing was very minimal. Just another way to demonize the poor.

It did help that the testing clinics were owned by the governors wife though, no conflict of interest there.
Most policies like the one implemented in Michigan fail and are ineffective in addressing issues that concern the poor. Policy makers often fail to properly analyze the effectiveness of new policies before they implement them. As you stated this is just another way to demonize the poor and subject them to more social control. Corporations receive wayyy more welfare then the poor and folk who work for them are probably more likely to use drugs. We waste money fighting unnecessary wars abroad plus we warehouse non-violent drug offenders. If we addressed some of those issues previously mentioned we'd be better off as a nation, but society is over concerned with punishing the poor for their lower caste status in society.

Last edited:
Quote:

Lol at that Senator saying this. Fireman and Policeman are tested though. But really, how is the welfare program suppose to work for those on it when SOME people are using it for drugs? I am for helping people out, but not those that are abusing it.

You do know that you are also "Helping out" on giving millionaires tax breaks and that it's probably more expensive to keep the rich rich then the poor poor

Reactions: wr
You guys sound like the kids in school who would beg to take names when the teacher had to leave the classroom :smh:

The kids who ask for more homework when the teacher almost forgets...smh

:lol: you sound like the kid who use to get mad when the other kids would cover their tests with their hands.

The kid who would get mad when it's time to grade each other's tests and your partner raises his hand and asks "what if they put ____"

Drug users and abusers don't deserve govt assistant lol that's pretty much it

Last edited:

Good. Like you said, if you're buying drugs and using then you shouldn't expect the government to help you get through life.
The family gets welfare from the parent/guardian. Because of this law if the parent is dipping into that to buy drugs it means the children would be cut off as well. Regardless of if the parent is using the welfare funds for drugs or not. They could be getting drugs from elsewhere. But all are harmed.

Ignore that poverty/crime/drugs all go hand in hand and are a direct result of previous and coming laws that Republicans put in place to pin down the lower classes.

But good right?
I expect more from you Nako...

Clearly in my statement I'm talking about an abuser themselves.  Not about a situation where a drug abusing parent wouldn't get money to feed their kids from this.  

I'm not fox newsing when I say that there are system abusers out there... IMO if you're out purchasing drugs on the regular but cant afford to buy your own food there's a huge problem with your expectation to receive money from the government.  I would hope that it's obvious that I wouldn't want kids who are supplemented by someone else being affected.  Maybe there's a way to remedy a situation like that.

To me Government assisting a drug abuser who's likely not making an effort to get clean or get a job or both is borderline enabling that very drug problem.

Exactly the point on why this bill needs to pass NATIONALLY.

If you can't stop then don't expect 'handouts' from the Govt. It's either receive assistance, a roof over your head, and food for your children or do illegal drugs? Not a hard choice if I was in that position considering there are other substances like alcohol.

So in Fl, 1 out of 4 whom were tested didn't pass. Looks like these programs somewhat works.

Ya'll are really good at not getting the big picture

This program would to wonders under rational mindsets, however yall are forgetting that DRUG USERS AREN"T RATIONALe AT ALL. Drug users are ADDICTED to whatever drug they use (Outside of weed) if no help is given along with this program you are giving people who have an addiction a reason to commit crimes. People steal from there fam, sell their bodies, hurt for money to get drugs.... so what do you think is going to happen when that lil welfare money stops coming in? do you think a drug addict is going to take the rational route?

No they are gonna find illegal ways to make the money, which leads to more crime, more homelessness, which leads to more money being invested in prison, more money being invested in the police force, and most importantly children who are young possibly not having and kind of necessities because their parents are hooked to drugs.

This program is going to cost more money and is just going to criminalize more poor people and make the jail rate higher than it already is.... but that's great news for the private company owners who already get huge tax breaks and want to add more to their "business"

You do know that you are also "Helping out" on giving millionaires tax breaks and that it's probably more expensive to keep the rich rich then the poor poor
I am not here to be in a political argument, yes I am aware that people receive tax breaks. The thread is about drug users that are on welfare. What is your stance?

so you have a problem with your tax money being used on people addicted to drugs but have no problems with it being used on people addicted to money?

Shocked democrats are against expanding the state's power and creating more unionized government jobs.

This makes no sense, most of these clinics that do the testing are private. Let's not pretend the Republicans aren't about expanding States powers. See abortion rights and those pesky gays.

Last edited by a moderator:
so you have a problem with your tax money being used on people addicted to drugs but have no problems with it being used on people addicted to money?
I have a problem with my tax money being wasted, period. Nothing I can really do about it, I am just expressing an opinion. Not all millionaires are people that are addicted to money, they can be people really good at what they do or had one hell of an idea. There are some that also give back large amounts of money to their communities as well.

Back
Top Bottom