Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread... Training Camp, to Mankato they go.

Could be a gap filling draft that provides solid depth to the team, so that's a win in my opinion. If they can get their SG after today then I'm suddenly liking this draft a lot more.

Yeah so Shabazz's speed, or lack thereof, might force him into the SF spot... and now we got center depth in Dieng (I'm real happy about that pick by the way).

So a SG will have to be found through free agency. OJ?

I kinda hope. I'm a fan of JR, but Simmons pretty much nailed it. You can't give that guy a multi-year contract.

Yeah, when he was saying that I was thinking of us. :lol:

Swear I've heard on Twitter that Flip likes OJ. Just feel like after today's events, it's trending towards that.

Andy Katz has us selling the #26 to the Warriors.

Edit: Woj now has the Thunder getting our #26 pick.

Last edited:
Judd Zulgad ‏@1500ESPNJudd
Flip is very aware of the fact that fans aren't going to be happy with the Wolves' first round and acknowledged he will see that on Twitter.

Jon Krawczynski ‏@APkrawczynski
Flip didn't sugarcoat draft. Says he knows it won't be popular with some people. Didn't hide his disappointment w/not getting top SGs

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
Saunders projects Muhammad as a SF in the NBA but says he can also play guard. Andrei Kirilenko's opt out possibility also drove the pick.

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
Sounds like the Wolves were a bit disappointed because they were hoping for Caldwell-Pope and maybe even McLemore. Both picked ahead of them

Last edited:
It's going to be irrational again, but you know if Trey Burke turns into what I think he can, people will give Flip the "Ty Lawson HAD HIM treatment".

It's going to be irrational again, but you know if Trey Burke turns into what I think he can, people will give Flip the "Ty Lawson HAD HIM treatment".

i don't know about that. Burke is going to have the green light in Utah. Here he would be just a back up maybe being Luke or JJ. Plus we have Rubio who is better now and will be for a while. I think some perspective has to go into it. He'll be ROY but there is no reason why this fan base should get upset we moved him for extra picks.

Shabazz I'm iffy about I just don't know how he's going to fit in. Do we start him does he come off the bench behind AK, so that means does Chase start then?

The other picks I really don't know so I'll just wait and see.

Happy we got Malcolm out of here.

Not excited about what ended up transpiring last night at all :rolleyes Let's face it tho our lotto spot sucked.

I wasn't expecting miracles because we were at #9.... but I don't really agree with what we did.

1. Flip sells off the #26 pick for basically free because "we don't want three rookies coming in so we had no need." Yet he traded out of #9 for two more picks, the latter of which was fairly close to that #26 pick he could have just kept.

It seems to me we essentially backed down to the 14th pick for no reason. I'm not too frustrated with that because even Flip has essentially said all the guys he wanted were basically gone anyway. But that also leads me to:

2. The number 9 pick spot still had value in the league. Whether that is trading it for a pick next year, or taking and trading a player (or Burke) for an established vet or something similar. The Wolves decided to go #14 and #21 (when they know their own H.C. wants nothing to do with rookies basically at all) and their end result is a player with red flags even they aren't excited about, and a raw big man who may never amount to anything. Which leads me to:

3. This is going to sound possibly outlandish but I think I would have stayed pat and taken Burke and kept him. Perhaps that would not have gone over well in the ESPN world but to me Burke could end up being a great player. And I've always been of the opinion in almost all sports that you stop with the "take for need" thinking in drafts and you simply take the best player available and worry about the rest later. You win on talent in this league. If Burke ended up being a back up who gave you key minutes off the bench then so be it. That has value, as we have seen time and time again in the playoffs. So what if we have Rubio? We are a team that gave him all the PG minutes majority of last season yet Luke Ridnour and JJ Barrea combined to still play 4,187 minutes last season.

But this is the NBA and none of us obviously knows anything about how these players will end up I know that. And I'm not too heated because nothing last night was going to make or break our season for next year anyway.

I'll likely have more opinions as the day goes on and i get more in depth with articles and other opinions...

Let's also remind ourselves how draft week works:

Tuesday:

Dan Barrerio and Jerry Zgoda: No Shabazz Muhammad for Timberwolves

:smh:

I felt like Ben McLemore could have changed our season.... his development would have been coddled and cast in the perfect spot for what I think he needs to succeed int his league.

He can't immediately begin as the star like he will be expected to be in Sacramento (especially with Cousins wanting a max deal which could lead to him not playing another game in a Kings uniform). That's just not the best environment for him to develop in. With his coasting issues at Kansas, being on a team like this... the Timberwolves, where you have Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio to shine in the spotlight for a considerable amount of time while you can grow into what everyone projects you as: perfect. :smokin

But damn. :smh:

Flip seemed almost apologetic in his post-draft presser last night. While I like the sincerity, you have to act a little excited, right? :\ Come on, at least feign like this wasn't worst-case scenario and you've got this team better off than they were the night before.

The Dieng pick is going to end up being underrated. I'm sticking with that. I get your point about 14 & 21 not being that different than 9 & 26, but if Flip likes Dieng as much as I do, and didn't think he was going to be there at 26, then he did the right thing. If you like a guy, go get him. Cough cough... McLemore. Even if he fell there wasn't a prayer he'd fall to 9. Cough Cough.

And [COLOR=#red]HOOD[/COLOR], I more meant because he put on the T'Wolves hat. The list of guys that have done that and have gotten traded (Ray, Roy) will not ever be absent in the minds of Timberwolves fans. And yes, I know that that pick was for the Jazz, but if Burke succeeds, you know T'Wolves fans on other message boards will constantly post his picture with Stern wearing the Wolves hat, radio stations will be infiltrated with angry calls, and so on.

Still think Flip's going to get a starting quality SG in FA or trade Derrick Williams for one in July. We'll just have to wait man.

Last edited:
From strictly a talent standpoint, this roster seems pretty formidable. And add an unnamed SG to the mix that Flip will get in FA/trade most likely.

Love
Rubio
Pek
D-Will
Shabazz
Dieng
Shved
Budinger

Last edited:
Williams, Shabazz and Luke or JJ should all be trade pieces in acquiring a SG. There's still options for this team to get a lot better.

Last edited:
I hope we're bringing back D.C.

Yeah I'm more interested in what SG they go after in FA. At 9 I heard before last night the top 2 guards would be gone. I knew nothing about KCP and if there was a chance to trade 9 or another pick + player for a 2 guard Im used to seeing, Marshon maybe I would have been okay. I want someone with established skills instead of another project.

EDIT:

D.C. is coming back :smokin

If we totally miss out on FA I wonder would Rick start Chase at the 2 and have Shabazz come off the bench.

Last edited:
I hate these white jersey's man. The blue and black ones (especially the black ones) are nice. But the whites are bland and boring as it gets.

Shabazz is going to be rocking #15 soon they still have Gelabale I don't think he's going to return. But Shabazz will rock it in Summer League.

I thought after KCP got taken at 8 we would have taken McCollum.. He seems like an ok fit they probably felt he was too small to play sg or something or felt he wasn't better than Luke :lol:

Last edited:
I'm gonna be at my cabin for the better part of two weeks so I won't be around probably to comment on moves or edit the thread title.

AK didn't take his option. Meaning he's probably gone, unless he wants to re-up for MUCH less $. But we really don't need him anymore with Bud and Bazz. Besides, I feel like he would've taken that option and somehow gotten injured.. again... and missed 50 games.

We now have flexibility to sign a SG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom