MLB '13: The Show - Release Date 3/5/13 - Andrew McCutchen Earns Cover

[h1]Step Up to the Plate: MLB ’13 The Show Hitting Enhancements Detailed[/h1]
+ Posted by Ramone Russell // Community Manager, SCEA San Diego Studios

Hitting is such an important aspect in baseball, and it’s an area we continually strive to make as realistic as possible. Last year we introduced our True Ball Physics engine to the franchise for ultra-realistic ball physics. This year we’ve done even more work to really make this area of the game as dynamic as possible with true to life outcomes. Take a look at what we’ve done to make hitting in MLB ’13 The Show more accessible to everyone.

We really want to make hitting more streamlined for players. Beginner mode allows people who have never played The Show — or have struggled with it — to learn the fundamentals of hitting. It’s meant to teach you the basics of Plate Discipline, Pitch Recognition and Timing.

This mode uses adaptive A.I. that only advances as you do. If you take longer to get the hang of hitting in The Show, you won’t be forced to advance. The A.I. will only advance once you’ve passed a certain threshold at each level.

In regards to the Push/Pull hitting Trajectories Engine, MLB.com gives us spray chart data for all current MLB players. This data is then imported into a program, which tells us what type of hitter the player should be in game. All hitters in the game fall under one of five hitter types: Push, Pull, Balanced, Extreme Push or Extreme Pull. Both A.I. and human players will now hit more balls to their preferred side based on this attribute. Generated players in franchise and Road to the Show modes are given a random hitter type. However, it’s a weighted random number so you won’t see a ton of guys in the draft from year-to-year who are labeled as extreme push hitters etc…

Furthermore, the timing window across all difficulty settings has been increased to allow everyone more time to react to the ball. While this change will lead to more offense, it’s relative to each difficulty setting. For example: if you hit .220 on All-Star last year, and you play the exact same way this year, you will probably hit in the .260 range.

We’ve detailed what was in the video, now here’s some info about what wasn’t in the video: There are a total of 16 batting views, and you can even create your own. Every batting view in the game has been re-created to increase pitch recognition. You will see more variability between gold glove type fielders and those players who aren’t known for their fielding prowess. Lastly, there are now less ground rule doubles in the game, and wind will now have less of an effect on the ball.

[h1]MLB 13 The Show’s Franchise Mode Gets Personal[/h1]
+ Posted by Luis Martinez // Associate Designer, MLB 13 The Show

Franchise Mode has been a big part of MLB The Show ever since its induction, and we’re confident that this iteration is our best yet. We redid most of our core systems, such as Scouting, Training and Player Progression, shifting the mode’s main focus back to player development. We also improved our menu and added a ticker bar so that you feel more connected to what’s happening in your league. Go ahead and watch our video to see all of this in action.

Training is now done on an individual player basis, and it can be as simple or as complex as you want. You can go in and custom set training drills for every one of your players, or have the auto-trainer handle this for you. If you only want to set drills for a couple of your players and the rest set to auto, you can do that too.

Scouting has received a major overhaul. The main goal was to give it a “human element,” to mimic the fact that there are “busts” and “diamonds in the rough” in every draft class. The scouting system itself boils down to first discovering players, and then scouting them individually to get a more accurate report of their attributes and MLB ETA.

In an effort to add personality to each club, we’ve incorporated Team-Specific Player Valuations. These numbers are based on each team’s historical tendencies, their stadium and league. For example, teams from the AL will not value bunting as highly as teams from the NL, while certain teams like the Yankees will value on-base-percentage much more so than the average team. Teams with home stadiums that suppress power will tend to value speedy contact hitters over slower power hitters. These changes affect every facet of a team’s decision making process, from drafting, to promotions and demotions, to trade decisions and free agent acquisitions.

You’ll get to experience all of this, and more, when MLB 13 The Show is released on March 5th for both PlayStation 3 and PS Vita.

For more information about MLB 13 The Show, visit www.facebook.com/mlbtheshow and @mlbtheshow on Twitter.

Last edited:
Same old shoe options!  I have purchased the past couple seasons but pretty sure I'm going to pass this year.  Last year's addition didn't do much for me.

Same old shoe options!  I have purchased the past couple seasons but pretty sure I'm going to pass this year.  Last year's addition didn't do much for me.

I believe nike will be available in the game.

Little League Baseball for NES is still my favorite. Way ahead of its time.

Baseball Stars, too.

Want to get this, but going to have to put it on hold. PS3 has been broken since New Years Day, but haven't gotten around to getting it repaired.

This the only reason I bought a vita :lol:
So what's the major changes to this and last year? Especially in road to the show?? I played 10 seasons in that :lol:

Back
Top Bottom