MLB Trade Deadline Post. Oswalt accepts trade to the Phillies.

http://[h3]
[h3]Red Sox in the market for lefty?[/h3]
2:07PM ET

[h5]Boston Red Sox

[/h5]

ESPN Stats & Information guru Jeremy Lundblad wrote Wednesday that part of the problem with the Boston Red Sox is centered around their inability to get left-handed batters out on a consistent basis.

Lundblad points out that the Red Sox are allowing lefties to hit .272 with a .746 OPS, good for 23rd best in both areas, and the southpaw threesome of Hideki Okajima, Dustin Richardson and Scott Shoeneweis have allowed a combined .348 batting average during the first half.

Clearly something has to change there and our first thought, of course, is a trade, at least for another lefty reliever to get big outs late in games when a lefty stick strolls to the plate.

Boston could make calls to Baltimore to see what it would take to pry Will Ohman from the Orioles and the Dodgers are probably more than willing to deal George Sherrill, who, despite a poor 2010 thus far has a track record of being tough against left-handed batters.

Toronto's Scott Downs could also be on the Red Sox radar, as could former Red Sox and current Pirates southpaw Javier Lopez.

http://[h3]Marlins looking for help?[/h3]
1:31PM ET

[h5]Florida Marlins

[/h5]

UPDATE: While they may not have decided to sell yet, there are reports that the Marlins are open to trading infielder Jorge Cantu and left-hander Nate Robertson, perhaps regardless of the direction they may be headed -- buy or sell -- between now and the July 31 trade deadline. This piece by the Miami Herald mentions the possibility that Cody Ross is traded, too.
--
The Florida Marlins may be 42-46 and 10 games behind first-place Atlanta in the National League East, but they are just seven back in the wild-card hunt and haven't given up on the season just yet, writes Joe Capozzi.

Whether that means trading away the priciest of players and giving young players a chance or adding veterans to the mix in attempt to make a run at it remains to be seen, but the club's president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest hinted that changes are probably coming in one form or another.

"I don't know about tweaking [the roster], but if things aren't working the way you'd like them to work, tweaking is obviously an option," Beinfest said.

The Marlins could theoretically improve their mediocre bullpen without sacrificing the future, and even though their rotation and lineup rank near the middle of the pack with solid numbers, adding an impact player could push them over the top.

There's been talk about moving right-hander Ricky Nolasco this summer, but if the Fish believe they are still in it right now, any move they make with Nolasco will likely wait until they feel they are truly out of it, unless they can deal him for immediate help in other areas such as the bullpen and outfield.

http://[h3]Cubs Lee a fit in L.A.?[/h3]
1:23PM ET

[h5]Derrek Lee | Cubs

[/h5]

It's easy to place a trade-available slugger into a new situation and call it a perfect fit, but there may not be a better fit this summer than the Chicago Cubs trading Derrek Lee to the Los Angeles Angels.

The Cubs would like to shed some payroll and get something for pending free agents and the Angels could use an everyday first baseman that is not under contract beyond 2010.

FoxSports.com discussed the possibility Wednesday and the one hangup could be the trade match -- as always -- but the Cubs don't figure to hold out for a premium package since Lee has struggled this season.

It's also noted in that piece that Lee's next contract will largely be based on how well he performs the rest of the season and that there's no better way for him to boost his value then to play well on a team with a chance to make the postseason.

The San Francisco Giants could also show interest in Lee, and the Angels could look into Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman Adam LaRoche, Houston's Lance Berkman or even Toronto's Lyle Overbay.
[/h3]

Please come get Lilly, Big Z, D Lee, talk to me about Aramis, anyone want Soriano, anyone, anyone.....What you got for Dempster?  Anyone need tiny white middle infielders?  Theriot, Fontenot.  Nady?  DH type guy.  I'd try to sell high on Silva, but people will see right thru that. 

Anyone need a new manager as well? 
laugh.gif

Stay away from (don't even look this direction) Marmol, Castro, Colvin, and Byrd.  And I guess maybe Wells.  Good lord that's a small group. 
smh.gif

Please come get Lilly, Big Z, D Lee, talk to me about Aramis, anyone want Soriano, anyone, anyone.....What you got for Dempster?  Anyone need tiny white middle infielders?  Theriot, Fontenot.  Nady?  DH type guy.  I'd try to sell high on Silva, but people will see right thru that. 

Anyone need a new manager as well? 
laugh.gif

Stay away from (don't even look this direction) Marmol, Castro, Colvin, and Byrd.  And I guess maybe Wells.  Good lord that's a small group. 
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Bumgarner for Corey Hart?
roll.gif
roll.gif

That's definitely not going to happen. Not even Brian Sabean would do that deal.

Unless Bumgarner finds where 5mph went off his fastball don't talk about Madison like he is some future ace.
He's consistently been in the low 90s. Let's not act like he's in the high 80s like he was in Spring Training. I'm not saying he's going to be an ace, but he's definitely a front of the rotation starter.

And we're talking about Corey Hart. Let's not act like he would actually do damage in San Francisco.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Bumgarner for Corey Hart?
roll.gif
roll.gif

That's definitely not going to happen. Not even Brian Sabean would do that deal.

Unless Bumgarner finds where 5mph went off his fastball don't talk about Madison like he is some future ace.
He's consistently been in the low 90s. Let's not act like he's in the high 80s like he was in Spring Training. I'm not saying he's going to be an ace, but he's definitely a front of the rotation starter.

And we're talking about Corey Hart. Let's not act like he would actually do damage in San Francisco.

I liked Esco he played very good defense, but didn't hit at all this year. It was well noted that Bobby hated Escobar and his mental lapses.

At least the Braves got rid of Jo Jo Reyes
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I liked Esco he played very good defense, but didn't hit at all this year. It was well noted that Bobby hated Escobar and his mental lapses.

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
Word, I'm going to miss Yunel's defense.  Would also like to add that he was money in 2-out, RISP situations last season. 

Welcome aboard, Alex Gonzalez.

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
Word, I'm going to miss Yunel's defense.  Would also like to add that he was money in 2-out, RISP situations last season. 

Welcome aboard, Alex Gonzalez.

Also heard that the Braves are looking to get an OF bat, but they first want to see if they can get any production from Nate McLouth when he comes off the DL he has not hit at all and they may trade him too if any team listens.

Also heard that the Braves are looking to get an OF bat, but they first want to see if they can get any production from Nate McLouth when he comes off the DL he has not hit at all and they may trade him too if any team listens.

Interesting tidbit I read on a possible Fielder trade:

1. What follows is pure speculation, and nothing more: As the Tampa Bay Rays consider ways to upgrade their lineup in the last 16 days before the trade deadline, maybe they should be the team that goes out on a limb and makes a deal for Prince Fielder, who would represent a dramatic change for their offense. The Rays could structure an offer around right-hander Wade Davis -- the kind of power pitcher that Milwaukee needs -- and could have Fielder for the 2011 season, as well, before he becomes a free agent.

The Rays would trot out a hell of a core in the middle of their lineup, as they make their push for the playoffs:

No. 2 hitter: Carl Crawford
No. 3: Fielder
No. 4: Evan Longoria

[h3]Sherrill placed on waivers[/h3]
8:41AM ET

[h5]George Sherrill | Dodgers[/h5]

Dodgers left-handed reliever George Sherrill has been placed on outright waivers, according to a report by Ken Gurnick of MLB.com.

Another club could claim Sherrill and the remainder of his $4.5 million salary. Gurnick says it is more likely Sherrill would clear waivers, at which time the Dodgers could attempt to outright him to the minor leagues and remove him from the 40-man roster. Sherrill has a right to refuse an assignment and could end up as a free agent.

The 33-year-old Sherrill has become expendable since All-Star Hong-Chih Kuo has taken over as the primary eighth-inning setup man for closer Jonathan Broxton.

http://[h3]Which SPs might be out there?[/h3]
3:59PM ET

[h5]Trade Market for Starting Pitchers [/h5]

[color=#999999][img]http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/leagues/lrg/trans/mlb.gif[/img][/color]
[h5]Rotation trade block[/h5]
With the Cliff Lee sweepstakes over, what do the Philadelphia Phillies, New York Mets, Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox do if they want a starting pitcher?

The Cleveland Indians may have two right-handers available this month in Jake Westbrook and Fausto Carmona, though the club said this week they are not simply looking to dump salary. Carmona could be a fit for clubs not willing to rent a player, since he's signed at a reasonable rate through 2011.

The Chicago Cubs are probably going to field calls on left-hander Ted Lilly, if they haven't already, and they might be looking to find a taker for right-hander Carlos Zambrano -- good luck, Jim Hendry.

The Mets, however, specifically desire a front line arm, which means if they can't land Lee, they have to turn to Roy Oswalt and Dan Haren, both of whom are guaranteed money after this season. Haren might cost more in trade than the Mets are willing to give up, however, especially considering their farm system isn't considered deep.

Houston's Brett Myers and Baltimore's Jeremy Guthrie may be two right-handers that end up elsewhere this month, and may be more realistic for clubs such as the Dodgers and White Sox, while the Phillies are also scouting Oakland's Ben Sheets.
[/h3]

Interesting tidbit I read on a possible Fielder trade:

1. What follows is pure speculation, and nothing more: As the Tampa Bay Rays consider ways to upgrade their lineup in the last 16 days before the trade deadline, maybe they should be the team that goes out on a limb and makes a deal for Prince Fielder, who would represent a dramatic change for their offense. The Rays could structure an offer around right-hander Wade Davis -- the kind of power pitcher that Milwaukee needs -- and could have Fielder for the 2011 season, as well, before he becomes a free agent.

The Rays would trot out a hell of a core in the middle of their lineup, as they make their push for the playoffs:

No. 2 hitter: Carl Crawford
No. 3: Fielder
No. 4: Evan Longoria

[h3]Sherrill placed on waivers[/h3]
8:41AM ET

[h5]George Sherrill | Dodgers[/h5]

Dodgers left-handed reliever George Sherrill has been placed on outright waivers, according to a report by Ken Gurnick of MLB.com.

Another club could claim Sherrill and the remainder of his $4.5 million salary. Gurnick says it is more likely Sherrill would clear waivers, at which time the Dodgers could attempt to outright him to the minor leagues and remove him from the 40-man roster. Sherrill has a right to refuse an assignment and could end up as a free agent.

The 33-year-old Sherrill has become expendable since All-Star Hong-Chih Kuo has taken over as the primary eighth-inning setup man for closer Jonathan Broxton.

http://[h3]Which SPs might be out there?[/h3]
3:59PM ET

[h5]Trade Market for Starting Pitchers [/h5]

[color=#999999][img]http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/leagues/lrg/trans/mlb.gif[/img][/color]
[h5]Rotation trade block[/h5]
With the Cliff Lee sweepstakes over, what do the Philadelphia Phillies, New York Mets, Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox do if they want a starting pitcher?

The Cleveland Indians may have two right-handers available this month in Jake Westbrook and Fausto Carmona, though the club said this week they are not simply looking to dump salary. Carmona could be a fit for clubs not willing to rent a player, since he's signed at a reasonable rate through 2011.

The Chicago Cubs are probably going to field calls on left-hander Ted Lilly, if they haven't already, and they might be looking to find a taker for right-hander Carlos Zambrano -- good luck, Jim Hendry.

The Mets, however, specifically desire a front line arm, which means if they can't land Lee, they have to turn to Roy Oswalt and Dan Haren, both of whom are guaranteed money after this season. Haren might cost more in trade than the Mets are willing to give up, however, especially considering their farm system isn't considered deep.

Houston's Brett Myers and Baltimore's Jeremy Guthrie may be two right-handers that end up elsewhere this month, and may be more realistic for clubs such as the Dodgers and White Sox, while the Phillies are also scouting Oakland's Ben Sheets.
[/h3]

Somebody post the Insider pieces from Olney and Law on the Escobar trade.
nerd.gif

Somebody post the Insider pieces from Olney and Law on the Escobar trade.
nerd.gif

An Atlanta teammate once had a birthday, and when Yunel Escobar offered best wishes, that teammate told Escobar he knew exactly what present he wanted from the shortstop: Just play hard today.

That Braves players came to view consistent effort from the 27-year-old infielder as a gift is not a great reflection on Escobar, especially given the reputation of the Atlanta clubhouse. It's an easy place to exist, to thrive, and has been for many years. Bobby Cox likes players; some managers don't. And the most prominent veterans on the team, like Chipper Jones and Tim Hudson and Billy Wagner and Brian McCann, are all reasonable and relatively laid-back, tolerant of different personalities so long as the effort is there.

And too many times the effort from Escobar was not evident, which is why the Braves decided to trade a younger shortstop with a theoretically higher ceiling for a 33-year-old shortstop.

Alex Gonzalez has struggled to stay healthy at times, and he sometimes has a hard time finding his way on base. But he is steady defensively and less apt to make the kind of mental mistakes that Escobar was guilty of time after time after time. And this year, Gonzalez is having a strong offensive season, with 17 homers and 50 RBIs. There have been many situations this year when the No. 6 or No. 7 hitters have come up with runners on base -- Escobar, in a lot of cases -- and almost no damage is done.

Gonzalez has power, and he can do some damage, but above and beyond that, nobody is going to wonder whether he cares, whether he is going to play hard; this had become the daily question about Escobar.

Right now, the Braves appear to be the team to beat in the NL East, and in Cox's last year, they have a whole bunch of guys rowing together, in sync. Escobar was not one of those guys, and the Braves had too much at stake to be left to wonder on a daily basis whether their shortstop was going to pull along with them or leave his oar unattended.

They have a new shortstop now, and Gonzalez has an incredibly affordable $2.5 million option for 2011. "Without that," said Atlanta GM Frank Wren on Wednesday, "this would not have been a deal we would have considered."

This is a great trade for the Braves, in light of what Escobar wasn't giving them and what Gonzalez should give them, and considering the talents of the two prospects they got in the deal -- left-handed pitcher Tim Collins and shortstop Tyler Pastornicky.

Collins is 5-foot-7 and was signed by former Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi, who was at an American Legion game in Worcester, Mass., scouting another pitcher when he first noticed Collins. "I heard a really good fastball in the [nearby] bullpen, and I saw Collins," Ricciardi recalled Wednesday evening. "I was like, 'That fastball is coming out of that little guy's arm?'"

Ricciardi quickly signed the pitcher for $10,000, and he has taken strides toward the big leagues this year. Collins throws a 93-94 mph fastball, but his best pitch is a knee-buckling curve, Ricciardi said -- and this is why Collins has racked up a stunning 73 strikeouts in 43 innings, with just 16 walks, in Double-A this year. "He has an unusual delivery in the way that he torques his body," Ricciardi said. "He's like a little Tim Lincecum in that regard. His stuff is filthy, like a little Billy Wagner. It wouldn't surprise me if he reaches the big leagues later this year."

This was addition by subtraction, writes Mark Bradley.

Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos acknowledges that this is a risk and a gamble, as Dave Fuller writes. Just when the fans in Toronto have come to appreciate Gonzalez, he's gone, writes Steve Simmons.

The Braves' move forces the Phillies to think about making a move, writes Phil Sheridan.

Here's why I wouldn't have made the trade if I were the Blue Jays: If Escobar couldn't find contentment in the Atlanta clubhouse, there's no reason to expect he's going to turn around his effort with any other team.

The Jays were shortchanged on this deal, writes Jeff Blair.

The Toronto Blue Jays flip a tradeable asset coming off a surprisingly (and perhaps unsustainably) strong first half for a player who's not likely to be around the next time they're contending. Yunel Escobar is a better player than he's shown so far in 2010, and players in their late 20s who have sudden regression years like this usually go back to what they were in the past unless there's some underlying, chronic injury; but the the signs of decline in Escobar aren't limited to his bat, as his body has started to age poorly and he's become a well below-average runner, both of which point to questions about how long his defense at short will remain above average.

And Escobar's offensive value is almost entirely tied up in his batting average, as he's not exceptionally patient (he ranked 72nd of 86 qualified NL hitters in P/PA) and doesn't hit for power. He's also acquired something of a reputation for a subpar work ethic, and I don't think he's ever played up to the tools he showed in the minors after the Braves signed him, all of which seems to have led Bobby Cox to want him out. (Of course, we could also talk about how Atlanta has had its share of toolsy young hitters get to the big leagues and make absolutely no progress under hitting coach Terry Pendleton.)

The Jays do get three years of control of Escobar, and it's a great idea to buy low, especially if they feel that he'll get back to where he was in 2008-09, when he was a much better and more valuable player overall than Gonzalez is ever going to be again.

My question is whether that possibility, with the risk that Escobar's makeup is going to limit his bounceback -- combined with a timeframe (through 2013) that probably doesn't coincide with Toronto's next run of contention -- justifies giving up two of the top fifteen or so prospects in the system. They also acquired Jo-Jo Reyes, a lefty with no above-average pitch and a little over a season's worth of awful performance in the easy league; he's pitching depth in AAA unless he picks up velocity or markedly improves his command.

I like the minor league portion of the deal for Atlanta more than the major league portion. Escobar has been terrible this year at the plate, but still has an OBP (granted, in the easier league) forty points above Gonzalez's equivalent, and the latter benefited from the homer-friendly Rogers Centre. Gonzalez is roughly Escobar's equal in the field and is less erratic, but I'd probably still roll the dice on Escobar's bat for the rest of the year, especially given Gonzalez' long track record of OBPs at or below .300; even the change in leagues isn't going to make him anything less than a prodigious maker of outs, although his consistency will likely placate the manager.

What makes this a solid deal for Atlanta is the inclusion of two interesting second-tier prospects who will have value to the club in the short term or as fodder for more deals in what is clearly a "win one for Bobby" campaign. Tim Collins is a Keith Law-sized left-hander who has dominated at every level where he's pitched, including AA this year; he has great feel, a solid-average fastball and changeup with an above-average 12-to-6 curveball, but unless he improves the breaking ball or continues to improve his walk rate, he's probably more of a setup guy than a potential closer. That's still a valuable asset while he makes the minimum salary, and I think if the Jays had held on to him and used him in the majors for a year or so, he would have assuaged some of the (overblown) concerns about his height.

Shortstop Tyler Pastornicky he wins raves for his makeup and effort level as a "grinder" and -- dare I say it -- "scrappy" player, but more importantly, he's an above-average runner who can play a solid shortstop (despite a fringy arm) and controls the strike zone, a combination that should give him the floor of a solid utility player. He came into this season with two career homers in over 700 PA, but already has six in the pitcher-friendly Florida State League, and he's young for high-A, playing the entire season at 20. I don't think he develops into a star or more than an everyday player, but the presence of some tools (speed and glove) and the fact that he's improved his performance while moving up into a league where he's young for the level are both promising, but his weakest tool is probably his hitting tool, and that's going to have to improve substantially for him to become a regular.

First one is Olney and second one is Law.

An Atlanta teammate once had a birthday, and when Yunel Escobar offered best wishes, that teammate told Escobar he knew exactly what present he wanted from the shortstop: Just play hard today.

That Braves players came to view consistent effort from the 27-year-old infielder as a gift is not a great reflection on Escobar, especially given the reputation of the Atlanta clubhouse. It's an easy place to exist, to thrive, and has been for many years. Bobby Cox likes players; some managers don't. And the most prominent veterans on the team, like Chipper Jones and Tim Hudson and Billy Wagner and Brian McCann, are all reasonable and relatively laid-back, tolerant of different personalities so long as the effort is there.

And too many times the effort from Escobar was not evident, which is why the Braves decided to trade a younger shortstop with a theoretically higher ceiling for a 33-year-old shortstop.

Alex Gonzalez has struggled to stay healthy at times, and he sometimes has a hard time finding his way on base. But he is steady defensively and less apt to make the kind of mental mistakes that Escobar was guilty of time after time after time. And this year, Gonzalez is having a strong offensive season, with 17 homers and 50 RBIs. There have been many situations this year when the No. 6 or No. 7 hitters have come up with runners on base -- Escobar, in a lot of cases -- and almost no damage is done.

Gonzalez has power, and he can do some damage, but above and beyond that, nobody is going to wonder whether he cares, whether he is going to play hard; this had become the daily question about Escobar.

Right now, the Braves appear to be the team to beat in the NL East, and in Cox's last year, they have a whole bunch of guys rowing together, in sync. Escobar was not one of those guys, and the Braves had too much at stake to be left to wonder on a daily basis whether their shortstop was going to pull along with them or leave his oar unattended.

They have a new shortstop now, and Gonzalez has an incredibly affordable $2.5 million option for 2011. "Without that," said Atlanta GM Frank Wren on Wednesday, "this would not have been a deal we would have considered."

This is a great trade for the Braves, in light of what Escobar wasn't giving them and what Gonzalez should give them, and considering the talents of the two prospects they got in the deal -- left-handed pitcher Tim Collins and shortstop Tyler Pastornicky.

Collins is 5-foot-7 and was signed by former Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi, who was at an American Legion game in Worcester, Mass., scouting another pitcher when he first noticed Collins. "I heard a really good fastball in the [nearby] bullpen, and I saw Collins," Ricciardi recalled Wednesday evening. "I was like, 'That fastball is coming out of that little guy's arm?'"

Ricciardi quickly signed the pitcher for $10,000, and he has taken strides toward the big leagues this year. Collins throws a 93-94 mph fastball, but his best pitch is a knee-buckling curve, Ricciardi said -- and this is why Collins has racked up a stunning 73 strikeouts in 43 innings, with just 16 walks, in Double-A this year. "He has an unusual delivery in the way that he torques his body," Ricciardi said. "He's like a little Tim Lincecum in that regard. His stuff is filthy, like a little Billy Wagner. It wouldn't surprise me if he reaches the big leagues later this year."

This was addition by subtraction, writes Mark Bradley.

Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos acknowledges that this is a risk and a gamble, as Dave Fuller writes. Just when the fans in Toronto have come to appreciate Gonzalez, he's gone, writes Steve Simmons.

The Braves' move forces the Phillies to think about making a move, writes Phil Sheridan.

Here's why I wouldn't have made the trade if I were the Blue Jays: If Escobar couldn't find contentment in the Atlanta clubhouse, there's no reason to expect he's going to turn around his effort with any other team.

The Jays were shortchanged on this deal, writes Jeff Blair.

The Toronto Blue Jays flip a tradeable asset coming off a surprisingly (and perhaps unsustainably) strong first half for a player who's not likely to be around the next time they're contending. Yunel Escobar is a better player than he's shown so far in 2010, and players in their late 20s who have sudden regression years like this usually go back to what they were in the past unless there's some underlying, chronic injury; but the the signs of decline in Escobar aren't limited to his bat, as his body has started to age poorly and he's become a well below-average runner, both of which point to questions about how long his defense at short will remain above average.

And Escobar's offensive value is almost entirely tied up in his batting average, as he's not exceptionally patient (he ranked 72nd of 86 qualified NL hitters in P/PA) and doesn't hit for power. He's also acquired something of a reputation for a subpar work ethic, and I don't think he's ever played up to the tools he showed in the minors after the Braves signed him, all of which seems to have led Bobby Cox to want him out. (Of course, we could also talk about how Atlanta has had its share of toolsy young hitters get to the big leagues and make absolutely no progress under hitting coach Terry Pendleton.)

The Jays do get three years of control of Escobar, and it's a great idea to buy low, especially if they feel that he'll get back to where he was in 2008-09, when he was a much better and more valuable player overall than Gonzalez is ever going to be again.

My question is whether that possibility, with the risk that Escobar's makeup is going to limit his bounceback -- combined with a timeframe (through 2013) that probably doesn't coincide with Toronto's next run of contention -- justifies giving up two of the top fifteen or so prospects in the system. They also acquired Jo-Jo Reyes, a lefty with no above-average pitch and a little over a season's worth of awful performance in the easy league; he's pitching depth in AAA unless he picks up velocity or markedly improves his command.

I like the minor league portion of the deal for Atlanta more than the major league portion. Escobar has been terrible this year at the plate, but still has an OBP (granted, in the easier league) forty points above Gonzalez's equivalent, and the latter benefited from the homer-friendly Rogers Centre. Gonzalez is roughly Escobar's equal in the field and is less erratic, but I'd probably still roll the dice on Escobar's bat for the rest of the year, especially given Gonzalez' long track record of OBPs at or below .300; even the change in leagues isn't going to make him anything less than a prodigious maker of outs, although his consistency will likely placate the manager.

What makes this a solid deal for Atlanta is the inclusion of two interesting second-tier prospects who will have value to the club in the short term or as fodder for more deals in what is clearly a "win one for Bobby" campaign. Tim Collins is a Keith Law-sized left-hander who has dominated at every level where he's pitched, including AA this year; he has great feel, a solid-average fastball and changeup with an above-average 12-to-6 curveball, but unless he improves the breaking ball or continues to improve his walk rate, he's probably more of a setup guy than a potential closer. That's still a valuable asset while he makes the minimum salary, and I think if the Jays had held on to him and used him in the majors for a year or so, he would have assuaged some of the (overblown) concerns about his height.

Shortstop Tyler Pastornicky he wins raves for his makeup and effort level as a "grinder" and -- dare I say it -- "scrappy" player, but more importantly, he's an above-average runner who can play a solid shortstop (despite a fringy arm) and controls the strike zone, a combination that should give him the floor of a solid utility player. He came into this season with two career homers in over 700 PA, but already has six in the pitcher-friendly Florida State League, and he's young for high-A, playing the entire season at 20. I don't think he develops into a star or more than an everyday player, but the presence of some tools (speed and glove) and the fact that he's improved his performance while moving up into a league where he's young for the level are both promising, but his weakest tool is probably his hitting tool, and that's going to have to improve substantially for him to become a regular.

First one is Olney and second one is Law.

Back
Top Bottom